Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wanting to combine 3x3 with 24 cube, need help
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:23 pm 

Ever since I fully understood a 3x3 I have wanted to add diagonal cuts to it to let the pieces truly mix. Combining a 24 cube with a 3x3 would add so many new dimensions to the solve. It would entertain me greatly as well as others. This would be my first modded puzzle ever. Does anyone know where I should start? I have never used any kind of CAD program and do not have any money to buy one. I have an idea in my head for a simple mechanism that would allow the pices to move properly without anything too compliacted happening so it should be pretty stable.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Wanting to combine 3x3 with 24 cube, need help
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:30 pm 

What you describe sounds extraordinarily hard with a "real mechanism" (not magnets). The 24-cube (Little Chop) is a deep-cut puzzle which must be bandaged so that the outer layers don't get misaligned with inner layers. Designing a Little Chop is hard enough. Layering 3x3x3 cuts on top of that is probably impossible.

If you want to play with it, the closest thing is Gelatinbrain's 3.5.1 which is a 2x2x2 + Little Chop.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:31 pm 

What if I used a core that is a ball with tracks in it that the pieces snap into?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:40 pm 

I just found this.... A happy and sad moment at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8amczUuNEo

I still wish to make the puzzle even though I cannot take credit for the idea.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:23 am 

That looks like a magnet-based mechanism to me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:31 am 

Garrett made a thread presenting a puzzle like this, but was not a full little chop/24 cube.
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&p=249134

Maybe contact Garrett for help?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:50 am 

Yes I have read all of Garrett's posts on his cube. I am hoping he will post here with his thoughts. We know this cube is possible because of the youtube video. Now we need to figure out how and if there is a better way than magnets.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:04 pm 

garathnor wrote:
We know this cube is possible because of the youtube video.

The puzzle in the video you posted is not a full 24 cube + 3x3x3. It looks like it just has 24 cube turns on two axes.

Anyways, if you don't have any CAD experience, this sounds ambitious for a first project, given the complexity of most 24 cube mechanisms. Adding a 3x3x3 to said mechanism would be very difficult to pull off, and I don't think there are any simple ways to approach this design.

My Shapeways shop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:27 pm 

garathnor wrote:
Ever since I fully understood a 3x3 I have wanted to add diagonal cuts to it to let the pieces truly mix. Combining a 24 cube with a 3x3 would add so many new dimensions to the solve. It would entertain me greatly as well as others. This would be my first modded puzzle ever. Does anyone know where I should start? I have never used any kind of CAD program and do not have any money to buy one. I have an idea in my head for a simple mechanism that would allow the pices to move properly without anything too compliacted happening so it should be pretty stable.
I would be very surprised if the cube in the video used a classic mechanism because 24+3x3x3 would be an incredibly difficult one to design. If I had to guess I would say it was a metal ball core + magnets. As for attempting this as your first design, well good luck, but I would start with something simpler like a big chop :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:54 pm 

What would be the best free CAD program on this list here at shapeways?

http://www.shapeways.com/creator/tools

What would be the best free one in general if it is not on that list?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:17 am 

Well I use SketchUp for most of my designs, but you have to be careful because it is not parameter based: "what if" and correcting mistakes are not easy to do. It is certainly not up the job of designing complex multi-shell mechanisms (I have designed a 3x3x3 mech for my Ghost Cube and a Megaminx mech for my Hexaminx).

I have used FreeCAD a little, but it is a work in progress and is missing lost of essential features, and it can crash without warning.

The other true 3D design tools are Autodesk Inventor and SolidWorks, which are actually very similar, and are parameter based design programs, which makes them very powerful. On these forums Solidworks is by far the most popular used by serious designers, but it is not cheap (unless you can get a free student's license). Unfortunately, both these programs have steep learning curves.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:56 am 

Yeah both of those programs would break my bank, I make less than 20k a year. I am looking at free alternatives and I think I have found someone to work on the project with. If anyone else has free or cheap alternatives for a CAD program I would love ot hear about them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:17 am 

I have tried designing it in Solidworks. Though the mechanism is possible the resulting puzzle would be very squishy and unstable. Not to mention you're talking about several hundred dollars worth of parts for one puzzle.

That said, I'll share my design, as soon as I can get my Solidworks copy re-activated.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:18 am 

garathnor wrote:
Yeah both of those programs would break my bank, I make less than 20k a year. I am looking at free alternatives and I think I have found someone to work on the project with. If anyone else has free or cheap alternatives for a CAD program I would love ot hear about them.

I am currently using a very cheap one. It never has glitches or anything. It also never crashes without warning. Its name: Graph paper and pencil. Fool proof :D