Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Calvins 3x3x5 Super Cuboid Modding Ideas?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:22 am 

Hi Folks,

So I recently ordered 2 of Calvins Super 3x3x5 Cuboids unaware (stupidly) that they were essentially the same puzzle.

I bought the 3x3x5 and the X-cube so I could make every configuration but essentially it will always be the same solve.

Does anyone have any thoughts on something that I can do to create a unique puzzling experience. out of two of these? If I glued the inner circle corners to the outer I would create the non super 3x3x5 set wouldn't it? that would at least be more puzzles...HELP!

Post subject: Re: Calvins 3x3x5 Super Cuboid Modding Ideas?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:03 am 

Well you can buy these to make "0" faces, I think :oops: ? http://www.shapeways.com/model/1444571/ ... terialId=6
http://www.shapeways.com/model/1444565/ ... terialId=6

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:18 am 

yea I saw Martywolfmans vid on it, but that would just make the crazy planet series right? which I have thanks to the B4 kit from Burgo.

If I just wanted to create the non super collection out of this would sticking the inner corner circle to the outer corner circles work or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:51 am 

I assume the non-super 3x3x5's solve differently to each other?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:52 pm 

Depends on how you approach the non-super 3x3x5 series. A few techniques are universal, and I thnk a large amount of it can be solved as a 3x3+treating the babyfaces as super 5x5 centers and commutator reducing all of them. But This is my theoretical approach because I haven't gotten my hands on any of them yet.

And You say bandaging the centers would just make the planet series... but isn't that what you expected to get out of the puzzles at time of purchase?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:56 pm 

Im not sure Kyle, I honestly just saw the shapes and assumed i would be able to make a whole host of combinations. It never dawned on me how similarly they would solve.

I think the configurations of the non-super 3x3x5's offer more unique solving challenges than the super ones. For instance I hear the icube is very tricky compared to the 3x3x5.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:34 pm 

You mentioned gluing the inner corners to the outer corners, but that would be too impractical. What I suggest is that you glue one side's corners so that you have only 4 1-pieces instead of just a normal 3x3x5. This would create an interesting puzzle.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:43 am 

I think I agree that the non-super adds more variety. And the i-cube seems to have some more unique properties than the others in the series

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:25 am 

BelcherBoy2000 wrote:
You mentioned gluing the inner corners to the outer corners, but that would be too impractical. What I suggest is that you glue one side's corners so that you have only 4 1-pieces instead of just a normal 3x3x5. This would create an interesting puzzle.

This is an interesting Idea, but I am wondering If I could make a kit, ....I am thinking that If i was to buy duplicate puzzles I could clue all of the inner circles of one set and then I would mix and match, and then with the 2nd set of baby faces I could make some bandaged pieces.

Would be a simple mod that really only requires super-glue.

TheCubingKyle wrote:
I think I agree that the non-super adds more variety. And the i-cube seems to have some more unique properties than the others in the series

Yea, But I didn't like the stickered versions so this mod may work nicely, obviously you would still be able to see the circles on the ones Ive glued but that's not the end of the world, the puzzle would still be there.