Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 4x4 Super Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:36 am 

Hi twistypuzzlers,

It's been a while since i posted another mod but finally there is one. I made a 4x4 super barrel that was inspired by Crazybadcuber's 8x8 barrel. It's a really nice mod and i think it turned out AWESOME!! It's a challenging puzzle but its not really hard to solve. All the pieces have orientation which makes it a super cube. I stickered each eight of the puzzle so it has 8 colors. This sticker scheme is also found on Crazybadcuber's crazy-pill and some other puzzles of him.
Attachment:
File comment: solved
IMG_1615.JPG
IMG_1615.JPG [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 1197 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: scrambled
IMG_1619.JPG
IMG_1619.JPG [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 1197 times ]

I also have a youtube video of this puzzle.

Max Knoop

My Shapeways shop
My YouTube channel!!

Post subject: Re: 4x4 Super Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:51 am 

This looks like a fun mod. I wish I could do stuff like this. It's just that I don't trust myself with a dremmel or sandpaper. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:03 am 

BelcherBoy2000 wrote:
This looks like a fun mod. I wish I could do stuff like this. It's just that I don't trust myself with a dremmel or sandpaper. :lol:

Haha thanks a lot.
Its just a matter of practice!!

My Shapeways shop
My YouTube channel!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:06 pm 

Thedutchcuber wrote:
BelcherBoy2000 wrote:

Haha thanks a lot.
Its just a matter of practice!!

Unfortunately it's not. There are some of us (myself included) that are so inept when it comes to making things that you could absolutely guarantee i would wreck the cube. I'm a person that can't drill a hole in a wall for a scre for shelves, without screwing it up.

Some of us will never be capable of doing stuff liek this, which only increases our admiration for those that can. especially when the result is as good as this!

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:05 pm 

Don't talk yourself down so much.. there is lots you can do that us handyfolk can't, and you can do that very well :)

Very well done on the barrel, love the way it looks!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:17 pm 

martywolfman wrote:
There are some of us (myself included) that are so inept when it comes to making things that you could absolutely guarantee i would wreck the cube. I'm a person that can't drill a hole in a wall for a scre for shelves, without screwing it up.

I used to think I fell into this category but I've learned that for me, it's actually a matter of patience rather than skill. I'm just not willing to cut or sand or do any handiwork slowly which means I can't do it accurately.

The thing that tipped me off to my impatience is my handwriting. I've always had horrible illegible handwriting that even I can't really read. Now I just tell people "my handwriting is encrypted". When other see me write they tell me to "slow down!" and when I look at others that write legibly, they write so painfully slow that even watching them makes me antsy.

So if you want to make a beautiful puzzle like this 4x4x4 Barrel, try to push yourself to go nice and slow. Maybe you can find the patience for it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:46 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
I've always had horrible illegible handwriting that even I can't really read. Now I just tell people "my handwriting is encrypted". When other see me write they tell me to "slow down!" and when I look at others that write legibly, they write so painfully slow that even watching them makes me antsy.

I completely agree! I'm a lefty, so I tend to write bad. In fact, I actually wrote with my right hand, and then I hurt my middle finger, so for a while it was terrible pain to hold a pencil, so I started writing lefty and it stuck (for what reason I don't know). Anyways, back to the puzzle. Enough said about inability to do mods.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:07 pm 

Great work Max, looks really clean. And I think the stickering scheme is great. Now that I have a Dremel, maybe I should fire it up and make a mess!