Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle Around the World Project
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:51 am 

katsmom wrote:
I'm just sorry it came here and no one got a chance to see it. Damned work and commitments for keeping me out of the PAW project. But I love sing all the photos. Keep them coming guys. :)
Curses! Why does work always have to get in the way of living :evil: Great photos as well guys, I wish I had a chance to participate as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:50 pm 

Gus wrote:
... Great photos as well guys, I wish I had a chance to participate as well.
Yeah, many would have loved to be a PAW participant and some who were lucky enough to be one, didn't care to write a single sentence. :cry:

I'm glad to see so many nice photos about its journey through this part of the universe. Thank you Claus, Andreas, Gregoire, Evgeniy and Calvin - just to mention those after me. BTW, did you see my little side project here? Yes, I was so happy to be a part of this community project that I got carried away a bit :wink: And yes, there are quite a few Pentultimates & relatives on my photos. :wink:

I wish the PAW a nice time in Australia with our friend Burgo and a save return to the northern hemisphere.

@Kevin (Puzzlemad): People can get some training with this Pentultimate if there would ever be another PAW round. If you look back in the thread you will find several who have solved it (I solved it several times, because it turned so smoothly. OK, I had training enough before :) )
I'm sure it will go back from Australia to the US in its immaculate beauty. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:53 am 

Hi friends,

I’m happy to report that I received the PAW from Calvin. I’m very honoured to be a part of this great project.

I introduced my pet Long Billed Corella, to the PAW. He wanted to give it a twist, but I refused!
Attachment:
1.gif
1.gif [ 423.42 KiB | Viewed 2871 times ]

We had a quick game of pool together. If you pocket your opponent, you win, right?
Attachment:
2.gif
2.gif [ 309.03 KiB | Viewed 2871 times ]

We went for long walks on the beach.
Attachment:
3.gif
3.gif [ 350.98 KiB | Viewed 2871 times ]

And the PAW expressed an interest in meeting new people, so I introduced it to some Australian Life Savers.
Attachment:
4.gif
4.gif [ 314.92 KiB | Viewed 2871 times ]

We had a look over my local area from a great spot to have breakfast. The beach in the background is the beach the puzzle visited.
Attachment:
5.gif
5.gif [ 297.06 KiB | Viewed 2871 times ]

We took a trip on the train to the Big Smoke, and I took the time to have a D&M with the PAW.
Attachment:
6.gif
6.gif [ 602.37 KiB | Viewed 2871 times ]

We visited the Harbour Bridge.
Attachment:
7.gif
7.gif [ 370.23 KiB | Viewed 2871 times ]

We visited the Opera House.
Attachment:
8.gif
8.gif [ 403.3 KiB | Viewed 2871 times ]

The PAW tried to solve a huge version of the Cast Donuts. It wasn’t very good at solving puzzles, only being a puzzle.
Attachment:
9.gif
9.gif [ 428.69 KiB | Viewed 2871 times ]

At Luna Park, a large clown scared my children and the PAW scared him back :lol: .
Attachment:
10.gif
10.gif [ 641.59 KiB | Viewed 2871 times ]

Wyrrabalong National Park is the home of the Red Gum Forest, they are a beautiful type of Gum tree.
Attachment:
11.gif
11.gif [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 2871 times ]

There had been a bushfire. This time of year it was probably hazard reduction burning in preparation for Summer. The PAW took a close look at some Banksia nuts, the fire helps in their germination.
Attachment:
12.gif
12.gif [ 460.3 KiB | Viewed 2871 times ]

The PAW met the Crazy2f/B4cube project.
Attachment:
13.gif
13.gif [ 674.62 KiB | Viewed 2871 times ]

I've made a folder with additional photos for those who are interested. The photos have captions:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F ... _w_0kjPcS4
If you click on the first photo, it will make a slide show with the captions.

I'll reveal a few more photos of the PAW with some secret Crazy2f/B4cube parts in a few weeks time, when they are no longer secret.
Photos now added:
Attachment:
b42.jpg
b42.jpg [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 1701 times ]
Attachment:
b41.jpg
b41.jpg [ 546.63 KiB | Viewed 1701 times ]
Attachment:
b43.jpg
b43.jpg [ 492.76 KiB | Viewed 1701 times ]

I had a lot of fun solving the PAW quite a few times, it was my first physical solve of a Pentultimate. And, although I’ve solved it’s equivalent, it was a great solving experience and a lot of fun. Thanks Brandon for all your efforts!

Hope you enjoy the photos,
Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

Last edited by Burgo on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:34 am 

Burgo, great post and great photos. :D :D :D

The PAW is definitely having a wonderful time Down Under :)

Do you remember this:
Gus wrote:
What a beautiful part of the world you live in. I have been to Austria many times, and Berlin a few times, but never to the German mountains. And the puzzle looks to be having a great time, but seeing it perched above that raging torrent with the old lady shows that it has a wild side! What next, bungee jumping :lol:
Gus was referring to this photo

Obviously, Gus was right about its "wild side".
It doesn't hesitate to visit fire places in the Australian bush :lol:

I feel like you: I'm very grateful and honoured to be part of this project.
I hope the PAW travels well for the last part of its journey.

Good bye, little big PAW :!: :!:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:30 pm 

Hi Konrad,

I can assure you the bushfire was well and truly extinguished :) . The most precarious thing to me seemed to be on the hand railing of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.. This photo is in the album in the link (It was taken from the middle of the bridge and it's a long way down to deep, shark infested water). I dared not balance the puzzle there, instead I held it very tight :lol: .

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:11 pm 

Hey Burgo, Australia has so much natural beauty! It's nice to see the contrast of such a modern looking piece against the backdrop of nature. It looks like you really got out and had a lot of fun :D

Burgo wrote:
This photo is in the album in the link (It was taken from the middle of the bridge and it's a long way down to deep, shark infested water). I dared not balance the puzzle there, instead I held it very tight :lol: .

Because bridges are so popular (even I took a picture of it with a bridge :lol: ), I tested how well the puzzle floats. You can't make it sink without weighting it down. The core is hollow and the shape of it traps a lot of air and makes the center of mass of the puzzle much lower than the center of the dodecahedron. No mater what orientation is when it hits the water, it immediately rights itself in a way that traps all of the air in the core. Even if you hold the puzzle under water and do many turns trying to get all of the air out, enough air is retained that it floats. I'm not sure how you'd retrieve it if you dropped it off a bridge though :?

No, the real question is, can the PAW survive a shark attack? My money is on the PAW :mrgreen: .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:15 am 

bmenrigh wrote:
No, the real question is, can the PAW survive a shark attack? My money is on the PAW :mrgreen: .

My guess is you would have to make a few modifications and call it a "CLAW" for it to have enough defence from shark attack.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:46 pm 

Quote:

Sadly, the PAW is not rated for bear attacks. That being said, the factor of safety included in the design should allow the puzzle to handle bear attacks (from specimens under 400 pounds).

My Shapeways shop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:48 pm 

gingervergo wrote:
Quote:

Sadly, the PAW is not rated for bear attacks. That being said, the factor of safety included in the design should allow the puzzle to handle bear attacks (from specimens under 400 pounds).

Which brings us to the crux of the issue: Could the shark survive a PAW attack?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:43 am 

bmenrigh wrote:
Which brings us to the crux of the issue: Could the shark survive a PAW attack?
1.) Does a shark jumble?
2.) Weight of the shark in grams
3.) Edge length of the shark

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:27 pm 

Ok... finally got my new Camera about a week ago. And this afternoon I drove around Phoenix looking for what I thought would make good PAW photos. First stop was an area called Fountain Hills famous for a water fountain that shoots water a couple hundred feet up into the air. Its about 30 minutes north of me and I hadn't seen it in person before so I drove up there. I found the fountain... but much to my dismay the fountain was OFF!!! Arg... but I drove all that way so it was going to be my first picture anyways.
Attachment:
Pic1.png
Pic1.png [ 702.37 KiB | Viewed 2201 times ]

Next I walk across the street and take a picture of the PAW sitting on a cactus. I thought that would look interesting...
Attachment:
Pic2.png
Pic2.png [ 2.44 MiB | Viewed 2201 times ]

I turn around an what do I see... the fountain has come ON. Very nice. I later learn that the fountain comes on every hour on the hour and only stays on for 10 or 15 minutes.
Attachment:
Pic3.png
Pic3.png [ 1.63 MiB | Viewed 2201 times ]

Attachment:
Pic4.png
Pic4.png [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 2201 times ]

Attachment:
Pic5.png
Pic5.png [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 2201 times ]

While driving around Fountain Hills I came across this horse. He agreed to pose with the PAW.
Attachment:
Pic6.png
Pic6.png [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 2201 times ]

Attachment:
Pic7.png
Pic7.png [ 886.06 KiB | Viewed 2201 times ]

Attachment:
Pic8.png
Pic8.png [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 2201 times ]

Next I drove out to the very east edge of Phoenix looking for what I've seen from a very long distance before. I found it and ended up having to drive into a gun range to take a picture of it. I spent a while looking for something I could set the POW on to take a nice picture and I found many piles of dirt, like this one.
Attachment:
Pic9.png
Pic9.png [ 1.59 MiB | Viewed 2201 times ]

But while I like this background too it wasn't the one I drove here to capture. To get what I wanted I ended up just holding the POW in my hand to shot this picture.
Attachment:
Pic10.png
Pic10.png [ 895.97 KiB | Viewed 2201 times ]

While I'm holding the POW up to take its picture, people about a 100 yards to my right are shooting various guns at targets off in the same general direction of the Phoenix sign. I'm not really certain I should have been where I was at but I'm just glad none of them mistook the POW for a target to shoot at.
Anyways... the next stop was home. This picture is taken of the POW sitting on one of the posts at the end of my driveway as the sun is setting behind the Santan mountains.
Attachment:
Pic11.png
Pic11.png [ 605.31 KiB | Viewed 2201 times ]

Any other Phoenix area attractions anyone would like to see with the POW before I mail it back to Brandon?

Enjoy,
Carl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:16 pm 

You should take it to my great grandparents' house! :lol: Just kidding, but I legitimately think you should take it to the Grand Canyon and take a bunch of good pics while you're there. It will be quite a long drive, but it will be worth it just for the views (and the PAW, of course).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:35 pm 

A short video that I made today:
http://youtu.be/GdJPZAhNats
BelcherBoy2000 wrote:
I legitimately think you should take it to the Grand Canyon and take a bunch of good pics while you're there.
I do need to take the family there for a visit. I've lived in the Phoenix area for over a year and I haven't been there yet. But I don't think this is the best time of year to visit the Grand Canyon. Let me look into it...

Carl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:02 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
BelcherBoy2000 wrote:
I legitimately think you should take it to the Grand Canyon and take a bunch of good pics while you're there.
I do need to take the family there for a visit. I've lived in the Phoenix area for over a year and I haven't been there yet. But I don't think this is the best time of year to visit the Grand Canyon. Let me look into it...
That's a lot to ask of a fellow twisty puzzler... Grand Canyon pictures would, of course, be amazing though :D

So much of AZ is really beautiful! Great pictures Carl!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:08 am 

I just got back from Vegas last week and was planning on hiking the grand canyon, but it's very snowy this time of year, so I opted to go another time maybe around April or May. My wife and mother in law did take a tour bus and it included a short hike above the rim and they said it was fine and all. I'm a little more adventurous and want to hike to the bottom and back up. So depending on what you and your family want to do while there should determine if it's a good time to go and get the PAW's picture taken there. If you do go, don't forget the puzzle :)

-d

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:01 am 

Great pictures, Carl! :D

I have been in Phoenix once on a business trip more than nine years ago, but I didn't see much more than a nice hotel.

I'm not sure what the best time is for the Gran Canyon. I was hiking there almost 19 years ago in April. That was a wonderful time of the year.
Summer may be a bit hot for the PAW. :wink: And December is probably pretty cold.

And now little big PAW, are you going back home?
The last few miles shouldn't be a problem, old chap.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:56 pm 

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I'm glad you and the PAW survived the shooting range.

Sedona is beautiful in the winter. If your lucky there will be snow on the red rocks.

On the way there you could stop at montezuma castle. I've never been there myself, but it is on my list.

Other ideas:
Hoover dam
Antelope canyon
Superstition Mountain
Tombstone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:04 pm 

Hi everyone!

About a year and a half ago, at the beginning of the Puzzle Around the World Project, I was really bummed that I wasn't going to get to be a part of this project. I was never active on the IRC, so I didn't hear about it until it was too late to join in. I shrugged my shoulders and resigned myself to be a spectator.

Since then, as the puzzle worked its way around the world, I started and finished graduate school and then started madly searching for jobs. About a month ago, I started pursuing a possible opportunity at Apple. The initial interviews went well, and they decided to invite me out to Cupertino for an on-site interview. When I told some of the Bay Area puzzlers about this, Brandon Enright encouraged me to aim for a particular weekend (i.e. last weekend), so that I could be there for George Miller's annual winter get-together. I'll post more about that amazing experience in another thread.

So, why am I posting in the PAW project thread? Well, Brandon had asked Carl to send the PAW puzzle back to the Bay Area in time for this puzzle gathering, and I happened to be coming there at the same time. This meant that I got to be a part of the PAW Project after all!

Before any of that, I guess I'll introduce myself. My name is Eitan Cher (see my signature for the pronunciation of my name), and I am a 24-year-old mechanical engineer from Denver, CO. I got my BSME from the University of Colorado at Boulder in May 2012, and I just finished a master's degree in Engineering, Design & Innovation at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL) in December 2013. I have been designing and building twisty puzzles since about September 2008, when I was starting my first year of college. The rest is TwistyPuzzles history.

Anyways... On to the PAW!

After arriving at Brandon's apartment, we started getting ready for three exciting visitors: George Miller, Oskar van Deventer, and Oskar's wife Jose. There was a big red box on the table, and Brandon was very eager to show it off to us all.

Attachment:
1 Brandon holds PAW box.jpg
1 Brandon holds PAW box.jpg [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 1737 times ]

When Oskar realized what was in the box, he grinned widely and snatched up the puzzle.
Attachment:
2 Oskar plays with PAW.JPG
2 Oskar plays with PAW.JPG [ 6.9 MiB | Viewed 1737 times ]

George took some time to admire Eric and Brandon's handiwork.
Attachment:
3 George plays with PAW.JPG
3 George plays with PAW.JPG [ 6.73 MiB | Viewed 1737 times ]

Seriously, this Pentultimate turned better than most injection molded puzzles, and it looked like it had been stickered yesterday. Brandon couldn't believe that after so many pictures with the puzzle balanced on rocks and set down on the beach, the stickers showed almost no scuff marks. I want to thank all the participants in the project for treating this puzzle so gently.

By the time we were through, nearly every surface of Brandon's apartment was covered in puzzles. Can you spot the PAW?
Attachment:
4 Brandon's apartment after party.JPG
4 Brandon's apartment after party.JPG [ 7.55 MiB | Viewed 1737 times ]

The next day, Brandon and I went to George Miller's puzzle party, and of course, we brought the PAW along. Brandon, Dave Litwin, Bob Hearn, Nan Ma, Derek Bosch, Oskar, and I all took turns playing with it.
Attachment:
5 Brandon and Dave playing with PAW.jpg
5 Brandon and Dave playing with PAW.jpg [ 908.46 KiB | Viewed 1737 times ]

On Wednesday, I had nothing planned, so decided to go be a tourist at the Golden Gate Bridge. When Brandon heard what I had in mind, he told me to take the PAW along, to bring this thread full-circle. (Brandon's post before handing it off to Nan Ma included pictures at the Golden Gate Bridge.)
Attachment:
6 PAW at Golden Gate Bridge - 1.jpg
6 PAW at Golden Gate Bridge - 1.jpg [ 815 KiB | Viewed 1737 times ]
Attachment:
7 PAW at Golden Gate Bridge - 2.JPG
7 PAW at Golden Gate Bridge - 2.JPG [ 3.76 MiB | Viewed 1737 times ]
Attachment:
8 PAW at Golden Gate Bridge - 3.jpg
8 PAW at Golden Gate Bridge - 3.jpg [ 1009.84 KiB | Viewed 1737 times ]
Attachment:
9 PAW at Golden Gate Bridge - 4.JPG
9 PAW at Golden Gate Bridge - 4.JPG [ 3.78 MiB | Viewed 1737 times ]
Attachment:
10 PAW at Golden Gate Bridge - 5.jpg
10 PAW at Golden Gate Bridge - 5.jpg [ 690.08 KiB | Viewed 1737 times ]

Eitan's Nebula got a few glamor shots as well.
Attachment:
11 Nebula at Golden Gate Bridge - 1.jpg
11 Nebula at Golden Gate Bridge - 1.jpg [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 1737 times ]
Attachment:
12 Nebula at Golden Gate Bridge - 2.jpg
12 Nebula at Golden Gate Bridge - 2.jpg [ 850.96 KiB | Viewed 1737 times ]

I wasn't sure whether to sign the stickers, since I wasn't one of the original participants. But if you think I should, I will do so next week when I go back for the actual interview with Apple. (It got pushed back a week, but I decided that this was too good a gathering to miss, so I went anyways!) Maybe we'll even get some more pictures of the PAW and Nebula with Jason's icosahedral family (if Jason is back in town by that point).

I feel so lucky to have participated in this awesome project. The puzzle is now back in Brandon's possession. I'm going to let him finish off this thread.

Eitan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:56 pm 

Of course you should sign it Eitan! The return to the Golden Gate Bridge is a fitting conclusion to the puzzle's journey too.. nice.

I also just posted a few photos of the PAW with the V1 CrazyB4cube project. I forgot to go back and add the photos at that time, so I just added them to the bottom of my `pictures post` above^^, to keep things in chronological order. At that time the things in the photos were `secret`. It was an amazing coincidence for me that the PAW came right when I was completing that project. :)

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:19 am 

What a wonderful end to a great journey. The loop is closed at the Golden Gate and now we can count the more mystical number of 24 participants.
What a wonderful coincidence that you were at Brandon's place, just in time.

24 knights at king Brandon's table, twice the number of King Arthur's knights :wink:

By all means, I would love to see your signature on our sticker sets. :D

When the time comes, I shall revisit this topic and add a few puzzles to this picture

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:59 pm 

Hey everyone!

Whoa it's been way too long :oops:

As I'm sure you all know, the puzzle got back safely in my hands. There were a lot of unexpected bumps and hiccups on the way. Surprisingly only the UK customs decided to hold the puzzle hostage for a lot of money :lol: . We built the puzzle to survive crushing, abuse, and accidents. I had spare stickers, spare parts, spare markers, and other spares standing by waiting for a disaster. I'm very pleased to report absolutely none of these were needed. The box looks like it has gone around the world twice. The puzzle looks like it never left.

Today I sorted the stickers out into sets. The 25 and 30mm sets:
Attachment:
paw_stickers_1.png
paw_stickers_1.png [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 635 times ]

Attachment:
paw_stickers_2.png
paw_stickers_2.png [ 2 MiB | Viewed 635 times ]

The 40mm sets:
Attachment:
paw_stickers_4.png
paw_stickers_4.png [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 635 times ]

Attachment:
paw_stickers_3.png
paw_stickers_3.png [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 635 times ]

And of course, I have finished polishing nine 30mm Pentultimates (TomZ's design) and nine 40mm Pentultimates (Eric Vergo's design, the same puzzle as the PAW):
Attachment:
paw_puzzles.png
paw_puzzles.png [ 1.94 MiB | Viewed 635 times ]

There are two remaining orders of business. The first is to send each of you a set of stickers to match the size of puzzle you requested. The second is to sell your requested puzzle to you if you're still interested. I will be reaching out to each of you in a PM to confirm your current address and gives you the details on the puzzles.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:23 pm 

AMAZING!! Much anticipated.. and STUNNING puzzles!!

Thanks for all your efforts, and for the great project Brandon :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:26 pm 

This was a really great project and I think Brandon deserves a huge round of congratulations for all the effort.

Thanks so much, it was really awesome to be a part of it!

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:57 pm 

It was a wonderful experience to be part of this.
I'm very thankful to Brandon for all his effort and dedication.

Roughly a year ago th PAW was in my home. It was still a long journey. I'm glad that it arrived back home safely.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:35 am 

I updated the first post in this thread with links to all of your media. Thanks again for such great photos as you helped take the puzzle around the world!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:00 am 

Frank Sinatra wrote:
It's very nice to go trav'ling
To Paris, London and Rome
It's oh, so nice to go trav'ling
But it's so much nicer
Yes, it's so much nicer to come home

It's very nice to just wander
The camel route to Iraq
It's oh, so nice to just wander
But it's so much nicer
Yes, it's oh so nice to wander back

The mam'selles and frauleins and the senoritas are sweet
But they can't compete 'cause they just don't have
What the models have on Madison Ave

It's very nice to be footloose
With just a toothbrush and comb
It's oh so nice to be footloose
But your heart starts singin'
When you're homeward wingin' across the foam

And you know your fate is
Where the Empire State is
All you contemplate is
The view from Miss Liberty's dome
But it's oh so nice to come home

You will find the madchen and the gay muchachas are rare
But they can't compare with that sexy line
That parades each day at Sunset and Vine

It's quite the life to play gypsy
And roam as gypsies will roam
It's quite the life to play gypsy
But your heart starts singin'
When you're homeward wingin' across the foam

And the Hudson River
Makes you start to quiver
Like the latest flivver
That's simply drippin' with chrome
But it's oh so nice to come home

No more customs
Burn the passport
No more packing and unpacking
Light the home fires
Get my slippers
Make a pizza

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:48 pm 

I've received my copy of a 40mm Pentultimate. And I just applied the stickers.
Attachment:
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 191.12 KiB | Viewed 429 times ]

I'm not really sure if I'm going to play with it a lot because I'm afraid that the signatures may go off.
Brandon, in the sheet of paper coming with the puzzle, you mentioned that we can take it apart to adjust. What's the best and safest way to take the 40mm one apart?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:23 am 

You could always get some signature protectors from olivers sticker shop :)

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:59 am 

If you are afraid of the lettering falling off, use clear laminate sheets and cut stickers from them. You can get them at Cubesmith right here:

http://cubesmith.com/Vinyl%20Sheets.htm

All the way in the bottom pretty much :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:30 pm 

The laminate sheets seem like exactly what I need. Thanks, guys!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:15 pm 

schuma wrote:
I've received my copy of a 40mm Pentultimate. And I just applied the stickers.
Attachment:
The attachment photo 1.JPG is no longer available

I'm not really sure if I'm going to play with it a lot because I'm afraid that the signatures may go off.

Unfortunately I think you're right. I tried clear plastic sticker covers but they were too hard to apply properly and they always ended up pealing and bubbling and just looking ugly.

schuma wrote:
Brandon, in the sheet of paper coming with the puzzle, you mentioned that we can take it apart to adjust. What's the best and safest way to take the 40mm one apart?

Yes I left the springs long and the screws loose.

To take it apart, first identify where the core is. One of the pentagons is much more flexible when you press on it. There is a post in the center so you need to press on it off-center. The core will be obvious. There is no screw under the core center or any of the five centers that surround the core. I suggest removing the center opposite the core because a single center will give you easy access to the 6 screws if you do face turns to move the hole to the adjacent locations.

To remove a center, put one thumb of the center and another on an adjacent corner and pull them apart like you're trying to rip open an orange. You should easily be able to make a big gap form like this:
Attachment:
pentultimate_gap.png
pentultimate_gap.png [ 1.88 MiB | Viewed 308 times ]

Once you have a gap you should be able to easily lift / pry the center out with your fingers. It would take extreme force and abuse to break any of the pieces so don't worry too much if once you tighten the puzzle its' hard to reinsert or remove the center. Your primary concern should be not damaging the stickers while taking a center out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:26 pm 

schuma wrote:
The laminate sheets seem like exactly what I need. Thanks, guys!

Oliver has the template for the puzzle so he can cut perfect pentagons to fit over the stickers.

In case you want to get them cut somewhere else or yourself here is the template.

Attachments:
paw_template.zip [6.5 KiB]
Downloaded 2 times

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:03 am 

WOW Brandon,

It is really nice to see those stickers signed by so many people.
Congratulations for your work on it!

If you are plan to do it again, I'm willing to sponsorate it with stickers (and sticker protectors)
Contact me, and we can discuss the details.

Olivér

rubikkocka@gmail.com & info@oliverstickers.com
http://oliverstickers.com/

Facebook

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5