Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Have you seen this twisty puzzle before?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:43 pm 

Hi Gang,

I've been conversing with Dave (DLitwin) about a puzzle I have in my collection. It's the only one I've ever seen and I'm curious about its origins.

It's a very simple mechanism. It operates but it's not what I'd call a playable puzzle. Still, it is a curious puzzle and I love it!

The band of tiles with the pink ribbon and bow turn. The band of tiles that go around the puzzle "equatorially" turn. The two faces of tiles with the animal characters turn with respect to each other but none of the other faces turn with respect to each other. There are little arrows on the puzzle indicating that that face turns.

It's about the size of a baseball.

Have any of you seen this puzzle before?

Thanks for looking! :o)

kev

Attachment:
puzzle_4.png
puzzle_4.png [ 1 MiB | Viewed 2484 times ]

Attachment:
puzzle_3.png
puzzle_3.png [ 958.86 KiB | Viewed 2484 times ]

Attachment:
puzzle_2.png
puzzle_2.png [ 771.57 KiB | Viewed 2484 times ]

Attachment:
puzzle_1.png
puzzle_1.png [ 907.93 KiB | Viewed 2484 times ]

Last edited by misterpoopoohead on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Have you seen this twisty puzzle before?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:03 pm 

That's like... a rhombicuboctahedral Doctor Cube...

Check out my Shapeways shop!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:32 pm 

rubikcollector123 wrote:
... rhombicuboctahedral ...

I would dare you to say that ten times fast but I'm afraid you might end up in the emergency room with a "twisty'ed" tongue! :D

kev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:32 am 

rubikcollector123 wrote:
Exactly my thought.
Could the first comic character be one of these?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_%27n%27_Dale

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:13 am 

So... What you're saying, is that it's just a funky looking version of a 1x1x3?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:40 am 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
rubikcollector123 wrote:
Exactly my thought.
Could the first comic character be one of these?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_%27n%27_Dale

I thought they might be Disney characters at first but when I compare the characters to Disney drawings there are a lot of differences.

So, I don't think they're Disney but they sure look Disney-ish.

kev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:42 am 

1NSAN3 wrote:
So... What you're saying, is that it's just a funky looking version of a 1x1x3?

Hmm, I don't think I've every played with a 1x1x3.

So, I don't really know.

It doesn't twist in one dimension except that the equatorial band moves around. This puzzle has elements of a Rubik's cube and an Equator puzzle.

kev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:25 pm 

misterpoopoohead wrote:
Have any of you seen this puzzle before?
No. Back when I made the Doctor Cube I felt certain someone had made that puzzle before but I never did find one after looking for a while. This is much much closer then anything I did find. Very interesting. Fix those 2 turning faces to the core and you have a shape mod of the Doctor Cube. Very cool.

Carl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:12 pm 

misterpoopoohead wrote:
It doesn't twist in one dimension except that the equatorial band moves around. This puzzle has elements of a Rubik's cube and an Equator puzzle.
It certainly looks like it *should* twist in all directions. Perhaps it is old and frozen up by dirt/grime/friction? On such a rare piece I wouldn't want to force it but perhaps in the hands of a careful puzzle builder it could be explored.
I happen to know a guy in your area with some experience investigating and fixing problems with rare and expensive puzzles.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:38 am 

DLitwin wrote:
It certainly looks like it *should* twist in all directions.
I'm pretty sure this is basically a Doctor Cube built on top of a 1x1x2. Judging by the arrows printed on the corners I believe there are only 2 faces which turn. You can think of the Doctor Cube as the same puzzle built on top of a 1x1x1, as all the corners are fixed to the core. Here you appear to have two sets of 4 corners each which are fixed relative to each other... or at least I believe you do. If this were built on top of a 2x2x2 and all corners were independent then I think you'd be looking at the first mass produced Mixup Cube... or at least a shape mod of one. This isn't impossible but I do think its unlikely.

This does look old... I'd love to know just how old and why its so rare. Generally if one went to the expense to make molds for injection molded plastic then hundreds, if not thousands, would likely be produced. Maybe they were produced in quantity and the company went under before most were sold. Maybe they went under after just the first test samples were made, but then I doubt the characters would be printed on the puzzle so nicely. It is indeed a very interesting puzzle you have there.

Carl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:49 am 

DLitwin wrote:
misterpoopoohead wrote:
It certainly looks like it *should* twist in all directions. Perhaps it is old and frozen up by dirt/grime/friction? On such a rare piece I wouldn't want to force it but perhaps in the hands of a careful puzzle builder it could be explored.
I happen to know a guy in your area with some experience investigating and fixing problems with rare and expensive puzzles.

Dave

Hi Dave,

It is definitely not designed to twist on all "face" sides. I can see in-between the tiles and it's just not built like a typical twisty puzzle. I'll do a little video of it and put it up on YouTube. I'll post the link to it so the group can check out the movement.

kev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:56 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
DLitwin wrote:
It certainly looks like it *should* twist in all directions.
I'm pretty sure this is basically a Doctor Cube built on top of a 1x1x2. Judging by the arrows printed on the corners I believe there are only 2 faces which turn.

This does look old... I'd love to know just how old and why its so rare.

Carl

Hi Carl,

I'll have to check out the Doctor Cube in detail. This puzzle is old. It's also not something that someone made themselves. It is definitely an injection molded puzzle and the printing on it is excellent.

It's the only one like it that I've ever seen. Not that my puzzle experience is that vast! Still, I really like it and it does appear to be very rare. I was hoping someone over the pond might recognize it. I did purchase it on eBay from someone overseas. So, I don't think it was made in the US.

I will work on getting the video of it put together so everyone can see how it operates.

kev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:53 pm 

misterpoopoohead wrote:

I will work on getting the video of it put together so everyone can see how it operates.

Ok. I made a short video of the puzzle.

http://youtu.be/qvJr9dz_AFA

kev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:15 pm 

When you say "turn" do you mean the faces turn like a normal Rubik's Cube or do you mean that they turn equatorially (ie All the pieces in a single file line move as when you do M slices)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:43 pm 

TheCubingKyle wrote:
...do you mean the faces turn like a normal Rubik's Cube or do you mean that they turn equatorially...

Hi,

The "faces" with the animal pictures turn in place like a Rubik's cube. The "equatorial" band of tiles turns in single file and the two "hemispherical" bands of tiles also turn like the equatorial band of tiles.

The other "faces" of the puzzle, (left side, right side, top, bottom) don't turn in place like a Rubik's cube.

So, the puzzle has elements of a sliding tile puzzle and a face turning puzzle. Since there are no corners on this puzzle I think it could be classified as a sliding tile puzzle. I think the experts should weigh in. :wink:

The painting on the puzzle is very fine. The "ribbon" and "bow" that go around one of the hemispherical bands are very sharp and the animal characters are also rendered well.

The puzzle doesn't turn smoothly due to its design. So, it isn't meant to be a speed solved puzzle. The internal mechanism is definitely nothing like the cubes or the various geometric variants.

While it isn't a smooth turning puzzle it does have a great deal of eye appeal and I like this puzzle a lot.

Check out the video on YouTube. I basically turn everything that can be turned on the puzzle in the video.

Should this puzzle be in the TwistyPuzzles museum?

kev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:05 am 

So from my understanding, it's basically a Doctor Cube but is split down the middle in the core so that 2 opposite faces can turn? I'm curious to see what the inner mechanism is like on this.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/ZemPuzzles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:46 am 

misterpoopoohead wrote:
So, the puzzle has elements of a sliding tile puzzle and a face turning puzzle. Since there are no corners on this puzzle I think it could be classified as a sliding tile puzzle. I think the experts should weigh in. :wink:
Classification has always been a difficult subject to get everyone to agree one. I personally would call this a twisty puzzle but then again I probably would call my Doctor Cube a twisty puzzle too even though it only has sliding elements. To be tiles are flat so I don't think of the edges on a Doctor Cube as tiles but one could certainly argue that functionally that is what they are.
misterpoopoohead wrote:
Should this puzzle be in the TwistyPuzzles museum?
DEFINITELY!! And I'm sure Andreas would be more then happy to help you put it there.
Zem wrote:
So from my understanding, it's basically a Doctor Cube but is split down the middle in the core so that 2 opposite faces can turn?
Yes, that is exactly what it is.
Zem wrote:
I'm curious to see what the inner mechanism is like on this.
Its just a spherical two part 1x1x2 that is held together by a screw or axis of some sort with some rails to hold in the feet on all the tiles. I'd really love to know who made it. I'm amazed that something like this exists yet it has probably taken well over a decade after this before the first mass produced Mixup Cube came along. I don't see how someone can't look at this puzzle and not ask themselves what happens if all the faces can turn. And I'm going to guess the 2x2x2 was out before this so the how to get there was known. Yes, I know the idea of the Mixup Cube dates way back too and I'm willing to suspect that it may have been the Mixup Cube (it wasn't called Mixup Cube back then) that inspired this puzzle and maybe that is why only 2 faces turn as they wanted to make a different puzzle. This appears to be a rare enough puzzle we may never know.

Kev, have you ever taken it apart? I'm curious if there are any patent numbers or copyright information stamped or printed onto any of the pieces. If there are I assume they could be hidden on the inside. Did any original packaging come with the puzzle when you purchased it? I'm going to guess "no" as I suspect you would have shown it already if it had.

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:53 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
Zem wrote:
I'm curious to see what the inner mechanism is like on this.

Kev, have you ever taken it apart? ... Did any original packaging come with the puzzle when you purchased it?

Carl

Hi Carl,

I've never taken it apart. I'll take a look at it to see if it will reveal any inner secrets. It didn't come with any packaging. I believe I got it from Hungary or somewhere in the UK.

So, do I contact Andreas about putting it in the museum?

kev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:24 pm 

misterpoopoohead wrote:
So, do I contact Andreas about putting it in the museum?
The place I'd start is to click on the Museum box up at the top of the screen (right of Shop and left of Forum). If you do that you'll see the last option takes you to this link:
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?act=addpuzzleform
Put as much info in that form as you have and some nice pictures... taken on a white background if possible (or in this case since its a white puzzle maybe that should be black background). In any case a background that should be easy to remove and Andreas will likely take it from there. It could take him a few days or so but that is the approach I'd take.

Carl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:14 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
Put as much info in that form as you have and some nice pictures... taken on a white background if possible (or in this case since its a white puzzle maybe that should be black background). In any case a background that should be easy to remove and Andreas will likely take it from there. It could take him a few days or so but that is the approach I'd take.
Nothing to add. Everything is correct.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:17 pm 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
wwwmwww wrote:
Put as much info in that form as you have and some nice pictures...
Nothing to add. Everything is correct.

Okey-dokey!

Thanks, guys! :)

kev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:19 pm 

Apparently it is called a Globusz. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-ultra-Ra ... 1275806527

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:23 pm 

This is a rare puzzle and I wanted to make sure these images were saved.

Carl

Attachments:
$_57 (4).JPG
$_57 (4).JPG [ 194.82 KiB | Viewed 725 times ]
$_57 (3).JPG
$_57 (3).JPG [ 257.84 KiB | Viewed 725 times ]
$_57 (2).JPG
$_57 (2).JPG [ 216.05 KiB | Viewed 725 times ]
$_57 (1).JPG
$_57 (1).JPG [ 219.18 KiB | Viewed 725 times ]
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG [ 264.49 KiB | Viewed 725 times ]