Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Site status
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:51 am 

I was just wondering, how do I get my site status up from 1x1x1? I am a relatively new member (been here less than a year) and was hoping to improve my status.

Post subject: Re: Site status
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:13 am 

That status is pretty much irrelevant since it's not readily available. I think it's related to how many posts you have but obviously spamming just to make get a higher rating the the wrong thing to do. I'd just ignore it and not worry about it. Forums are about about having great conversations, not having lots of them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:03 pm 

I agree, the status is not important, but your valid contributions are. If you really want to know how the status is applied, just go to the members link at the top of the Forum home page and will be able to work out how the rankings are applied.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:54 am 

The status used to be displayed more prominently, but there were issues with people just posting to up their status. So a decision was made to make it not as prominent. As stated above, quality is valued much more over quantity. Status also doesn't get you any additional benefits, so really it's pretty irrelevant.

-d

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:36 pm 

I agree, quality is more important than quantity. However, I have been curious what the highest rank available is. I know it goes to 7x7, and Mod or Admin, but what is the highest NxN rank?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:46 pm 

1x1x1 0
2x2x2 50
3x3x3 100
4x4x4 250
5x5x5 500
6x6x6 1000
7x7x7 2000
8x8x8 3000
9x9x9 4000
10x10x10 5000
11x11x11 7500
12x12x12 10000

Sandy's post about rank/ranking of the number of posts/posting is here:

viewtopic.php?p=180700#p180700

Again, as correctly stated, ensure that what you add to the forum is of some value.
I believe, around five years ago, there were too many "chats" in the style of SMS messages
(and those without auto-correction(!), i.e. filled with syntax and spelling errors) which
is something that brings the quality of conversations from non-understandable to erratic.

8-)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:46 pm 

Gus wrote:
If you really want to know how the status is applied, just go to the members link at the top of the Forum home page and will be able to work out how the rankings are applied.
Interesting... I've not played with the members link before. If you sort by rank all the moderators are listed at the end. Does this make them 0x0x0? And I also noticed that over 36% of our members have never even made a single post. What is the big incentive to join if you aren't going to post? Can't non-members see all the content here without joining? Maybe its needed to be able to PM members... not sure. Anyways... that just seems odd to me.

A more interesting way to sort is by join date. By the end of 1999 we only had 5 members. In 2000 we picked up another 14 members, in 2001 another 11 members, and on 2002 another 19 members. We don't get above the teens per year till 2003. I'm number 141 and joined Dec. 2, 2004 and made my first post the same day. But it looks like I didn't make my second post till June 2006. I remember keeping up with all the puzzle news I could find on-line going all the way back to my grad-school days. Wasn't there a forum that predated TwistyPuzzles? I just checked the home page and I see it states "Online since 2002." So how did the ~20 members join before then? I have this recollection of a migration from one forum to another but don't recall the specifics. We need a "History of the online puzzle community" link. I think it could make for a very interesting read. There isn't much here.

Wow... I see Oskar didn't join until 2009. Its hard to remember a time without Oskar. And his very first post is about a puzzle that is still controversial today. Its the Slice Kilominx... is it deep cut or not?

And my favorite part of this romp down memory lane... This post I made in reply to Oskar's first post:
wwwmwww wrote:
Wecome Oskar, great first post which I hope is just the beginning of many more.
Oh I had NO idea what I was asking for at the time... did I? LOL!!!

Carl

[Edit]
Looks like there is a nice history site out there...
http://twistypuzzles.com/articles/other-history/
and yes it details the migration I remember.

And look most of the old site is still accessible.
http://web.archive.org/web/20031213155436/http://www.twistymegasite.com/index.asp

Does anyone have a full archive of all the post made to the twistymegasite? I don't think the above site has everything and if a full copy still exists it might be nice to find a way to preserve it here at TwistyPuzzles.

Oh... and my recollection of Oskar's first post was off... doing some more reading its clear Oskar had already made a name for himself in the puzzle community long before that first post of his so I likely did have a good idea what I was asking for.
[/Edit]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:00 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
Does anyone have a full archive of all the post made to the twistymegasite? I don't think the above site has everything and if a full copy still exists it might be nice to find a way to preserve it here at TwistyPuzzles.

As far as I know it was all converted over to this site, but there may have been some issues. From what I recall way back in the day there would be days without any posts so really 99.9% of the content I would say is on the twistypuzzles.com site. If you go to the general section and click on the last page, you can see posts from 1999. (Also posts from 1969, but my guess is the date got messed up in the conversion, maybe Y2K issues ;) )

-d

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:57 pm 

darryl wrote:
Also posts from 1969, but my guess is the date got messed up in the conversion, maybe Y2K issues ;)
01 Jan 1970, 00:00 UTC is the Unix time epoch. Your timezone offset could make it look like 1969 though. Posts like that are generally the result of a timestamp being wiped out or not transitioned properly from one forum or database schema to another.

Other explanations include when a server is first booted and doesn't NTP properly, it may start time at the epoch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:59 pm 

darryl wrote:
As far as I know it was all converted over to this site, but there may have been some issues.
Yes, there is certainly some overlap. Here is an example:
http://web.archive.org/web/20050125185351/http://www.twistymegasite.com/forum/viewMsg.asp?ID=16510
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2093
Though I think I've also searched for some and not seem them here so I just don't know how complete the conversion was. I also though I remembered reading posts about puzzles all the way back to my grad school days so pre 1997 but that may have predated the twistymegasite. There was also the cube lovers digest and some other things I've probably since forgotten about back in the day.
darryl wrote:
(Also posts from 1969, but my guess is the date got messed up in the conversion, maybe Y2K issues ;) )
I don't think those 1969 posts have anything to do with the conversion. If you open them they still have the correct posting dates in the various posts and they all seem to date between 2003 and 2007. Not sure what happened there.

Carl