Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A new Puzzle
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 9:38 pm 

Please have a look at

http://www.geocities.com/dynamic_toys/josdavi_03.html

and solve this puzzle.

Post subject: 6x6?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 2:04 am 

Is the force behind this strong enough to support a 6x6? if so, what is the largest sized magic cube it can support?

Post subject: The Puzzle you can Twist / Shift / Overturn its layers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 2:27 am 

Hi Tyler,

James encouraged me to post my new puzzle on Twisty.
How big your hand is?
How many cubes can you stack them on ONE stack?

Post subject: Re: The Puzzle you can Twist / Shift / Overturn its layers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 5:18 am 

Im confused.
What i mean is,
you have made a magic cube that is like a 3x3x3 rubiks cube.
Could you make one as big as a 6x6x6 rubiks cube.
what is the larges it could go?
Or, were your questions answers to my questions?

Post subject: Mechanism?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 5:49 am 
Can you describe the mechanism that holds the puzzle together? It's unclear from the pictures how the puzzle moves and what it's limitations are. It does look very interesting though.

Post subject: What is the colour pattern?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 5:51 am 

Thanks for posting the puzzle. It looks very proffessional... I just have a question. From the pictures it looks like there are more than 6 colours used. What is the colour scheme you have used?

Post subject: Secret
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 6:37 am 

i have been email da tseng for about a week now, we have had conversations about it. He will not disclose information like that until his patent clears :(
Too bad, i really want a 9x9x9 cube.

Post subject: Fair enough
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 6:50 am 

I think he wants to try and produce this puzzle. And it looks like its got what it takes. If Tyler is right and it can be made with any number of small cubies up the sides, it could prove very interesting. I think the idea of creating a real 6x6x6 cube may have been the original motivation for this puzzle... Not to mention the ease (?) of designing 2x2x3, 2x3x3, 3x5x5 etc, even 4x5x7?!!

Anyway, Im looking forward to somehow obtaining one of these! Looks like a very good challenge in the solving department.

Post subject: Answering to question with question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 5:18 am 

Yes, my questions were answering to your questions.
In theory, we can make n x n x n Cube puzzle with the same method, But may be not practical. If our hand is not big enough to hold the Cube, I do not think it would be interesting, and ¡K
Try to stack as many Rubik¡¦s Cube on One Stack as possible, Guinness World Records would be very interested
to register the record.
You may use other small cubes instead of the big ones, and you¡¦ll understand why I answered you with this question.

Post subject: Colour Scheme of the new puzzle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 5:51 am 

I used 13 different vinyl stickers.The colours are ¡V

white, red, yellow, purple, green, blue;
golden yellow, kiwi green, cocoa, camel beige, coral, Olympic blue;
and aqua green (x 6).

The Cube Puzzle may present the same colour (aqua green) on 6 faces.

Post subject: hopefully soon
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 6:50 am 

If, and when it comes out, im going to buy enough sets to have an 9x9x9 cube.
hehehehehehehehehhehehe

Post subject: Multiple puzzle inventors, what happens to the other guy?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 11:59 am 
Much as I would like to see a simple simple system to make every posible cube and cuboid, I would love it -I would go broke getting as many as I could so i could make many diffrent cuboids- it kind of bothers me that it might be comeing. The reason for this is that I've been trying to make these myself. Who will want to get my 4x3x2, 5x4x4, 4x4x3, 4x2x2 and so on if you can just go out and buy a set of cubies and make whatever cuboid you want from it.

This always kind of bothered me, the thought that someone always loses, even if I wasn't the one doing the loseing. Because if I succeed in what I'm planing, which includes nth order cubes, and at the least a 4th order pryimix (hopefuly nth orders of those as well), then that means that everyone else who tryed to make them loses. Now that I'm days away from the materials that I need to get started it looks like someone else is already finished.

So it looks like I'll be the loser, regardless of whether or no this new invention is aplicable to these functions or not I still think I'm going to try my hand at them.

But my reall question is: when I'm done who will want it if you can get the same thing somewhere else, except more versitile?

At the rate I'm going we will have coloinzed Mars by the time I'm done anyway so why worry about a current rival in my plans for cube making, by the time i'm done cubes will have made a comeback, gone out of style, and made another comeback. Then I'll be ready to sell them in the third age of the cube, see you there.

Chris Witham

(yes i am nuts, is that such a bad thing?)

Post subject: Nuts
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 2:14 am 

I was going to ask you if you were nuts, but you answered my question before i could ask it. :wink: I think there will still be a market for 'real' cuboids, because they would just be so much more satisfying. But i am curious, how much have you thought about building a nth order cube? Do you have a strange new mechanism which allows this to happen?

Post subject: Re: Multiple puzzle inventors, what happens to the other guy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 5:29 am 

Please don't be discouraged, Chris!

There will always be a demand (however small, in this particular hobby) for a new mechanism, a slick solution, a solid object, etc. Just because a 4x4x3 can be built out of magically attractive cubies doesn't mean people won't want a complete puzzle that will only ever be a 4x4x3 shape, that holds them all together and takes care of all the mechanics of playing with it for you.

It sounds to me that you and Daniel aren't converging on the same point, although there is some overlap in your ideas. There seems to be a big difference between what the two of you want to with your ideas. Daniel is taking the simplest element of a Rubik's (for example), and going off in new directions with it. You are taking the Rubik's (and others) at their most complicated and making them more so. These are puzzles as different from each other as the Rubik is from the Vadasz.

All that said, this doesn't mean that others who have tried to build a 6x6x6 won't "lose" if you manage to produce a working mechanism first. But really, who would feel they have lost unless your idea is the same as theirs?! There will always be the guy who says things like "my mechanism has the following advantages over Chris's" and "I could have built one first if I had more time". And so what? It's not a competition, is it?

I think I can speak for many of us when I say that we're all interested in the process as much as the final product. And two different processes are a whole lot more interesting than one.

As for the economic possibilies for selling any new puzzles you or any one else comes up with, that's almost entirely up to your skills as a designer, artist, and salesman! The demand for the item will be determined by those much more than by who built it first and how.

Sandy

Post subject: Nth order cube
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 5:44 am 
I wouldn't call it strange, just diffrent. Its actualy very simple. The reason everyone has so much trouble comeing up with a 7 or higher order cube is mostly the corners becuase of the fact that they can't be conected to the central mechanism. The reason my system works (*) is that I don't use a central mechanism. I also didn't even try to make it so that you can't see the mechanism, I think that that is probably impossible.

The two things I wanted most were to have it work and have all of the cubies be the same size. So when I started to make my system I didn't try for anything else, e.g. I didn't try to have a hidden mechanism.

I am cofidant that it can work for all nth order cubes where n is either odd or greater than 2. Because 2x2x2 is the only cube left out, and it already exists every natural numberd cube is theoreticly posible.

Chris Witham

(*)it works in theroy and on paper I haven't tested it yet, I will be geting the materials soon, then I need to get good at useing them, it could be a while

Post subject: Thanks and your right
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 5:48 am 
Thank you for the encoragement, and your right difrent mechanisms are good. I like to take things apart and it would be boring if everything was the same on the inside. It is nice to have varity

Post subject: eBay
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:03 am 

if people can sell "rare" 5x5x5s for over US$50, think of what you could sell a 6x6x6 for. you could make enough money to give everyone at twisty a free one! :wink:

Post subject: Just let me know when youre finished!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 7:04 am 

Chris, I would love to have cubes of higher orders. I know if Daniel's magical attractor works i will go for that, but it would also be very satisfying to have a "real" one as well. I probably wouldnt but a cube of every natural number (is 0 a natural number?) but would love to have a 6x6x6 or 7x7x7.

Question: will your cubes look the same from the outside as rubiks cubes? ie black plastic, coloured tiles/stickers? because that would be a bonus over the magical attractor...

Post subject: The plan is
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 7:20 am 
I was told a natural number is a counting number that is 1,2,3,4... so it wouldn't be zero. But thats an easy cube to make, I've just invented it. It's my gift to all of you, free shipping too, in fact there's one in front of you right now.

All of the plastic is going to be the like normal Rubik's cube plastic, not the same but like it.

(Warning)-this may not make much sense, i'm just that way-

The plan is to start out with making very big cubes, with cubies that are the same size as a normal Rubik's cube. These would be huge, their purpose would basicly be for me to get the hang of it because that is a bit too large to be easily portable, i.e. its not going to fit in you pocket, for those they will have rubik's cube stickers. After I've hopefuly made some money off of the really big cubes I'll use the same system all over again to make much smaller versions, I don't know what I'll use for coloring on those.
The reason the first ones will be so big is that I'm going to make the normal cubes (2x2x2, 4x4x4, 5x5x5) in that size for a project I want to do, and will use the same system for them so I figure while I'm at it I'll prototype the higher order cubes.

Chris Witham

Post subject: Ebay...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 7:26 am 

People will buy anything on ebay...
I sell 5x5's for 50+ each, but i dont claim they are rare. The 5x5's prove to be great for funding the purchasing of expensive cubes. But, it does require a nice investment to buy them all...
Anyway, a 6x6, i would pay like $400 for.
So, i guess i am one of those people that will buy anything :)
On Another note-
I like taking them apart. All of them. It would be boring as chris witham said, to have no new mechanisms.

Post subject: eBay
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 7:59 am 

I agree. People will buy anything on eBay. The Natural Law of eBay is that someone will always be willing to pay more than me.

Post subject: Please Proceed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 2:08 pm 

There is a huge likelihood that you will find a market for any higher order cube prototypes. Even if somebody came out with a production model, they are not likely to introduce more than one design. In any case, a prototype might be considered one-of-a-kind - a good investment.

If you are thinking about mass-producing higher order cubes, then you are taking on some risk. The tooling will require a sizeable investment. In a case like that, a competitor producing the same design could be catastrophic.

So, please proceed with your prototypes. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Post subject: Always?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:15 am 

Always? please tell me you have won at least 1 auction......

Post subject: Ohhh!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:28 am 

I have always thought it would be SOOOO cool to have a 4x4x4 or 5x5x5 with cubies the same size as a 3x3x3. In fact when I first saw pictures of them on Mefferts site I thought thats how big they really were... If you proceed with this and they work, can I please buy one of them off you? I would love one, and if it helped bring about the creation of cubes of higher order than 5 it would be ao amazing!!

Post subject: Ha Ha
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:29 am 

This may be a little like poker.

Actually, I have won a few on eBay. For example, a Magic Dodecahedron.

But generally, somebody else usually wants it more than I do.

Post subject: Exactly
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 2:08 pm 

You could make a packet here alone if you dont get too greedy. But dont forget eBay. Imagine what a 6x5x4 cube would go for!!

Post subject: AGREED!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 7:28 am 

I guess me and james stand on the same level about giant cubes. Size variations are awesome. I would have paid 150 for that mini 5x5, but i didnt think it would go up so high, so i didnt bid high... o well

Post subject: Magic Dodechedron
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 7:29 am 

Isnt that a megaminx?