Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bubbloid123 coming along nicely
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:16 pm 

Remember this puzzle I designed in POV-Ray back one weekend in March 2011? (Fri Mar 25 through Sun Mar 27, 2011)

Well I'm getting much better at converting those old POV-Ray files into Solidworks. And this is what I put together this week.

YouTube Video of Bubbloid123

I see the question I asked in the video has already been answered. So I also want to point out that this puzzle from a solving perspective is identical to Oskar's Mosaic Block puzzle.

I'll get this dyed and stickered and start a proper thread in the new puzzle section shortly. More new puzzles are on the way, one of which answers this question from Bram.
Bram wrote:
I think it would be even more interesting to make the equivalent of the 233. Has that even been made in box version yet?
Attachment:
ShapewaysPic.jpg
ShapewaysPic.jpg [ 56.64 KiB | Viewed 1536 times ]
Anyone want to guess the purpose/function of the giant thumb tack shaped part in the 233 assembly? It's actually not a part of the final puzzle.

Carl

P.S. Is it possible to embed a video here in the forums? Youtube gives me this code but it doesn't seem to work.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Tevckk028bs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by wwwmwww on Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Bubbloid123 coming along nicely
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:41 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Tevckk028bs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For security reasons the forum doesn't allow direct embedding of HTML into the site. You can't embed videos.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:54 pm 

Great overview video and it's wonderful to see the puzzle progressing so much. I'm a big fan of your BubbloidXYZ series so I hope they keep coming!

I'm glad the hot water trick worked. I discovered that trick while cleaning pieces in hot water after tumbling. I'd test the tolerance and notice they'd fit together much easier than later when I'd be assembling the puzzle cold. There have been a few puzzles that I have assembled literately under water. I've filled my sink up with water at around 50C and put together some of the really hard pieces fully submerged. I'm not sure how much the water acts like a lubricant when WSF isn't polished but it's an incredibly good lubricant once the pieces are tumbled. Some of puzzles I've polished have turned better wet than dry and lubricated with silicone oil.

I didn't know you'd made the external walls so thick. It's a great idea though. It'll make the puzzle feel much more solid and it'll also make the tumbling process much easier on me.

Finally, in watching your video, I noticed a really common cosmetic print flaw in some of the pieces where the faces are slightly sunken in:
Attachment:
bb123_print_flaw.png
bb123_print_flaw.png [ 120.73 KiB | Viewed 1530 times ]

I've seen this flaw and a few flaws very similar to it many times on many different puzzle prints. I believe it happens when the face of a piece is parallel to the printing layers (the face is normal to the gravity vector). I suspect the issue has to do with the expansion of nylon due to heat in the printer causing the face (or maybe the walls bordering the face) to be slightly offset.

I believe the best way to prevent this issue is to apply a small rotation (maybe 20 degrees?) to the pieces when you export them so their main external face(s) won't be parallel to the printing plane. TomZ's program will pack them just fine even with this rotation. Perhaps some designers (Oskar?) have tested the affect of piece orientation on cosmetics?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:59 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
wwwmwww wrote:

For security reasons the forum doesn't allow direct embedding of HTML into the site. You can't embed videos.

Video embedding is an option separate to the use of HTML but at present it is not enabled.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:16 pm 

I really love this class of puzzles. Great to see another one.

wwwmwww wrote:
I see the question I asked in the video has already been answered. So I also want to point out that this puzzle from a solving perspective is identical to Oskar's Mosaic Block puzzle.
There's actually 2 puzzles that are functionally identical to this one. Here's the other by ElectronicKid (unless I missed a piece).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:46 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
Finally, in watching your video, I noticed a really common cosmetic print flaw in some of the pieces where the faces are slightly sunken in
Yes, I've seen this before too. Once the pieces are dyed black and stickered I doubt you'd even be able to notice that though so I don't really consider it a major problem. Just tumbling the puzzle would also help hide that cosmetic flaw. I suspect you are correct about the cause but I'd have additional concerns about your proposed fix. A 20 degree rotation would cause the stair-step pattern to appear on these otherwise flat surfaces so you'd potentially get a rougher surface. Here are the cuts are spherical (well at least most of them) so the only flat surfaces are on the outside of the puzzle and this roughness shouldn't have any effect on function but there are many puzzles with planar cuts where I think this proposed fix could cause more harm them help.
bmenrigh wrote:
Perhaps some designers (Oskar?) have tested the affect of piece orientation on cosmetics?
I've generally tried to keep flat surfaces in the XY, YZ, and XZ planes where possible to avoid stair stepping. That said I think Shapeways does apply a small rotation themselves. I've seen pieces with a large flat area in one of the major planes be printed just that there was a single stair step midway across that surface. Since the printing is a layered process I guess the desired surface could occur midway between two printed layers and this be a rounding issue but I would think if the plan were lever the rounding should always go the same direction.

That said I've in the past thought that this sunken face effect could also be due to rounding errors. Assume the level of the face is between printing layers and it gets rounded down in the printing process. The filleting at the edge being a more complex surface may get rounded differently and the edge of that filleting could be getting rounded up one printed layer. If that is the case gravity may have nothing to do with it.

Carl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:54 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
You can't embed videos.
Tony Fisher wrote:
Video embedding is an option separate to the use of HTML but at present it is not enabled.
The end result is the same and you've answered my question.
GuiltyBystander wrote:
There's actually 2 puzzles that are functionally identical to this one. Here's the other by ElectronicKid (unless I missed a piece).
Yes... there are two others. Looks like I had forgotten that one. Thanks for the reminder.

Carl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:53 am 

Another nostalgia bomb! Looks amazing!

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:43 pm 

Finally getting back to these...

This is the Bubbloid123, Bubbloid223, and the Bubbloid233.
Attachment:
Bubbloid123_223_233.png
Bubbloid123_223_233.png [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 327 times ]

I still need to glue the caps on and sticker them.

Carl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:19 am 

As you know, Carl, I'm a big fan of your Bubbloid 122 :D and these look wonderful. :D :D
(For all other readers: I have got a 122 from Carl, tumbled by Brandon and it is one of the most beautiful puzzles in my collection.)

Moderator hat on: This is another good example where a Bump is justified without any doubt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:12 am 

I've been intending to get a bubbloid for some time now, i love the way they look. It definitely should be my next shapeways purchase. Great work again Carl!

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:00 pm 

martywolfman wrote:
I've been intending to get a bubbloid for some time now, i love the way they look. It definitely should be my next shapeways purchase. Great work again Carl!

You won't regret it! I got a 122 a while back and it's still one of my favorite puzzles. It's a good challenge, but not nearly as hard as Eitan's star. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:26 pm 

Konrad wrote:
I have got a 122 from Carl, tumbled by Brandon and it is one of the most beautiful puzzles in my collection.
I'm glad you got one :D
Even though Carl's Bubbloid puzzles are relatively easy to tumble in comparison to some other puzzles they're still a ton of work. It's nice that one of them has made it into your collection!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:57 pm 

I also have one of the tumbled 112s and it is easily one of my favorites. I would love to someday get the entire series. These are great candidates for mass production, IMHO.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h3mj7f50q3k1 ... CF4281.JPG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:40 pm 

Volitar Prime wrote:
These are great candidates for mass production, IMHO.

I've always thought so too, very appealing. Have you tried contacting any manufacturers Carl?

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:49 pm 

martywolfman wrote:
Volitar Prime wrote:
These are great candidates for mass production, IMHO.

I've always thought so too, very appealing. Have you tried contacting any manufacturers Carl?

Carl's cores are pretty much impossible to injection mold. I'm not saying the Bubbloid puzzles couldn't be mass produced but the design would have to take a significantly different approach than what Carl has done.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:20 pm 

Brandon Enright September 21st 2013 wrote:
For security reasons the forum doesn't allow direct embedding of HTML into the site.

what's the security risk?

[Moderator]Because the quoted sentence is pretty old, I have added the date of posting[/Moderator]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:29 pm 

martywolfman wrote:
Have you tried contacting any manufacturers Carl?
Yes. ;) I'm far from certain anything will become of this yet but there have been several discussions.

Carl