Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mini puzzle solve
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:17 pm 

Hi,

I have imagined this subject, because yesterday, I tried to solve Greg 's mini masterpentultimate.
However, after few hours, I have to say that this is tedious and quite hard, because turning is not fluent, pi├Ęces are hard to find and stickers are flying away...
Did anybody solve it ? Konrad ? If I believe your rules, you should have done it. I have quite the same rules, but I think I will make an exception with this one !

However, I have solved Greg's mini hexaminx, but masterpentultimate is not the same...

Post subject: Re: Mini puzzle solve
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:36 pm 

Hi alacoume,

I have got a big Master Pentultimate from Eric Vergo and have solved that one. So, I have solved the logical equivalent (and this satisfies my rule :wink: ; even having solved the harder Multi Dodecahedron from TomZ would be OK for me)- but not the Mini.
I think I have said it in a post that the Mini seemed to precious to me after all that tedious stickering that I did not want to take any risk. (I have used super glue for the stickers, though.)

As you have mentioned yourself, eyes are not the best in my age :lol: and the assembly and stickering was one of the biggest challenges in my puzzle life.

(My eyes have improved quite a bit by my surgery back in May.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:45 pm 

I have to add that even with (quite) youngs eyes, stickering this puzzle was a pain !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:05 pm 

I polished a few of these for Greg and assembled one of them. Assembly was rather hard since the pieces are so small. I started to sticker it but gave up. I have little patience for stickering and this puzzle pushed me past my limit.

Regarding solving though, I thought the turning of the puzzle was excellent. I've solved several puzzles that turned worse. I do think with patience the puzzle is completely solvable. Remember, a Master Pentultimate is hard to physically solve no matter what size it is.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:26 am 

Yes, you are right, turning is excellent; but during solving, because puzzle is small, it is very easy to misalign it, and it could be hard to make the turn after.
Morever, it sometimes pops.
I have solved first half, and i was solving the edges when I realised that even with a 4 moves algs, I was sometimes almost lost after loosing 20 seconds to make one just turn.
So, I realise that I will not be able to finishthe inner edges with Starminx algs and set-up moves without being completely lost !