Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Twisty Puzzling on Your Resume?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:58 am 

Hey guys :)

I'm writing up my resume and I was wondering wether or not to include my puzzling/collecting passion. On one hand it could make me look smart on the other hand I thought it might be viewed as a sign of immaturity from the perspective of someone who is not familiar with the concept of mechanical puzzles.

So I though I would ask you. What has been your experience so far? Have you ever been in a similar situation and what has been the effect of mentioning puzzling to your employer? Positive or negative?

Post subject: Re: Twisty Puzzling on Your Resume?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:15 am 

I think it depends what kind of job you are applying for.You should always adapt your CV / resume for whatever job you are applying for anyway, so that it focuses on things that you think would be attractive to the employer for that particular job.

I currently am a bus driver, I wouldn't have used it for applying for this job if I had been a twisty puzzle addict back then, as I simply don't see it as being relevant. However when I've completed my degree and start applying for software development positions I will most certainly be using it, as i think it shows intelligence, along with good logic and problem solving skills.

Latest videos: Unboxing / Review of Curvy copter Plus, David Gear Cube, Octo-star Cube

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:41 am 

I would include the fact that you like solving puzzles but nothing more. Don't talk about collections, having a passion or anything like that. Most people think of twisty puzzles as stupid kids toys.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:02 am 

As martywolfman said, it would depend on the type of job and whether it would seem like problem solving abilities are a factor in the work.

I did put it on my CV. But then, I work in games development where almost everyone has ridiculously complicated, intricate and colourful plastic toys on their desks...

...it's just that mine are puzzles :shock:

...(except for the Dalek, oh and the companion cube...) :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:50 am 

The primary goal of a resume is to get an interview, that's all, so it should be a very concise summary (just a "teaser") to raise enough interest by highlighting only your key skills, qualifications, experience and achievements which are *most* relevant to the job, and no more.

So if you want to list your hobbies and interests, you've probably lost the plot and forgotten about why *they* want to hire someone and what *they* are looking for. So leave it out, and by all means talk about your hobbies and interests if and when they ask you at interview, which they probably won't.

On the other hand, many jobs require creativity, analytical/logic problem solving, sales and marketing skills, so describing how you "designed, produced and sold a new type of 3D-printed logic puzzle" could be a very nice *active* way of showing how you have demonstrated these entrepreneurial skills by creating and selling something of commercial value, even (or especially) if it was as just a hobby! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:45 am 

I did put it on my résumé and that became a factor of how the interviewers remember me. I have to say it helped my job hunting. I was interviewing for a software engineer and analyst position.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:38 am 

Back when I had a shorter resume I had it on the bottom (along with juggling...). It says a bit about who I am.
Recently I took it off because after 20 years I have to prune things down.

When I review a resume I like a small bit of outside interest mentioned. It does make the candidate memorable and gives some picture into who they are.
But in a software resume an interest in puzzle is somewhat relevant where it might not be for other employment. So as noted above do consider the audience.

Dave :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:52 am 

DLitwin wrote:
Back when I had a shorter resume I had it on the bottom (along with juggling...). It says a bit about who I am.

When I made my last resume I put something to the effect of "Puzzle enthusiast and difficult problem seeker". It was one of the first things each person brought brought up in the "get to know you" phase at the start of the telephone screenings and interviews. I felt like discussing something I'm passionate about was a great ice-breaker and it made each conversation much less formal and awkward.

Resumes and interviews are pretty good at weeding out bad candidates but they're pretty poor at identifying good candidates. Almost anything that helps the interviewers understand you is good.

Of course, don't rant and drool as you describe your eternal passion and fiery desire for twisty puzzles or you may scare them off.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:57 pm 

I'm applying to colleges soon and I would never hesitate to mention twisty puzzles. It just seems like something that makes you different. It is possible for some people to take the whole idea of playing with cubes wrong; that's why you need to be careful with wording. Whether or not it helps, it really shouldn't hurt. Do any puzzlers have advice with using twisty puzzles on a college resume?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:28 pm 

yummyyummypbj wrote:
Do any puzzlers have advice with using twisty puzzles on a college resume?

College applications vary pretty widely in what they ask for and are looking for. Some will ask you to make a personal statement. Others will ask for an essay about something you've overcome. Some will even give you a blank sheet with instructions like "fill this sheet with something interesting".

Given the variety in applications, I don't think there is a right answer.

When I was applying my main interests were in math and programming and I used that as the main theme for all of the various different things my applications asked.

For applications I'd suggest be:
  • Yourself
  • Truthful
  • As creative / funny / quirky / unique as you can be

No doubt you can work your puzzling interests into the process.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:59 pm 

I have always put this hobby on my resume, but only as a side activity. However, it features prominently on my portfolio. There is one reason that this will always be the case: This hobby has gotten me every internship I have ever had. It's an unusual activity that sets me apart from most of the crowd, and it makes me memorable, like Dave mentioned.

What usually happens when I walk into an interview is the interviewer says, "I saw your puzzles on your portfolio. Did you bring any with you?" I grin and take one out, and they play with it the rest of the interview.

-Eitan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:10 am 

I think for a college application it will have even more impact than for a resume.

Unless you apply to a huge company the number of candidates you compete against for a particular job is not that large, and certainly nothing compared to the thousands (or tens of thousands) of college applications a University will receive.

There are only so many GPAs and test scores they will consider, so you can count on the reviewers having very many essentially identical applicants. So something in your essay that gets attention and demonstrates you are in some way interesting or different has value.

Good luck!

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:44 pm 

Putting puzzles on my resume was instrumental in securing my first internship (for GE Aviation). I went to a career fair at my University with a clear box containing some of my puzzles, and I quite literally had people coming up and talking to me. They have been nothing short of a fantastic tool to show, above all else, that you have the ability to think.

My Shapeways shop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:14 pm 

For me it's good to bring up in an interview, but not resume... personal preference.