Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Skewb Xtreme - Mefferts
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:45 pm 

Anybody see this yet? The new Skewb Xtreme by Mefferts - First official skewb mods I've been excited about in a while!

(edit to correct spelling)

Last edited by jabeck on Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Skewb Xtreme - Mefferts
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:25 pm 

jabeck wrote:
Anybody see this yet? The new skewb extreme by Mefferts - First official skewb mods I've been excited about in a while!

Yes, I have seen it. "Skewb Xtreme" BTW. Here - http://www.mefferts.com/products/detail ... d=13d5a21a

Post subject: Re: Skewb Extreme - Mefferts
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:24 pm 

That link calls it "Skewb Xtreme Orange". Does that mean the "cut in parts" are the same orange color all over the puzzle? If so it would solve like a normal Skewb. Any idea if there's a plan to use varying colors for the cut-in portions so that the orientation of the square Skewb centers is visible?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:49 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
That link calls it "Skewb Xtreme Orange". Does that mean the "cut in parts" are the same orange color all over the puzzle? If so it would solve like a normal Skewb. Any idea if there's a plan to use varying colors for the cut-in portions so that the orientation of the square Skewb centers is visible?

Voilà: http://www.mefferts.com/products/detail ... =13&id=895

Also comes in Pink.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:20 pm 

So, what shape is the Extreme?

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:28 pm 

I would say an X shape? :) Looks awesome alright!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:55 pm 

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
So, what shape is the Extreme?

The puzzle is called Skewb Xtreme.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:26 pm 

I designed this puzzle in February 2013 and finished the prototype on 1st March. It was hugely influenced by Vadim's fairly recent similar shaped puzzle. I was going to call it the X-Factor Cube and hand make some to sell. However the current state of the custom puzzle market meant this was not viable so I took the Mefferts route instead seeing as the Skewb Mechanism is of course his. I didn't know about the orange and pink versions until today.

Mefferts factory made Skewb Xtreme (multi). Buy here. Please see my post lower down page regarding this version.

Mefferts factory made Skewb Xtreme (Orange). Buy here.

Mefferts factory made Skewb Xtreme (Pink). Buy here.

My prototype. VIDEO

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:23 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:28 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I was going to call it the X-Factor Cube and hand make some to sell. However the current state of the custom puzzle market meant this was not viable.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by benpuzzles on Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:55 pm 

Thanks for deciding to take the Mefferts route, because I can afford it this way. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:23 pm 

What is the exact sticker configuration in the 7 color version? Is it symmetrical?

Also, there is mention of a "striking 10 colour version" on the newsletter... What is the sticker configuration on that one and when will that one be available?

Thank you,

Skarabajo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:32 pm 

Skarabajo wrote:
What is the exact sticker configuration in the 7 color version? Is it symmetrical?

Also, there is mention of a "striking 10 colour version" on the newsletter... What is the sticker configuration on that one and when will that one be available? .

I don't know the answer to any of those questions.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:25 am 

Skarabajo wrote:
Also, there is mention of a "striking 10 colour version" on the newsletter... What is the sticker configuration on that one and when will that one be available?

I think a 14 color version would look much better!
Or there could be a 18 color ultimate version as well...

By the way: Nice looking puzzle, Tony!

rubikkocka@gmail.com & info@oliverstickers.com
http://oliverstickers.com/

Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:29 am 

Skarabajo wrote:

My guess would be that the Skewb has been divided into two 4-sided tetrahedra and each tetrahedron has been stickered with the same 4 colors. This would result in 4 colors for the tetrahedra and 6 colors for the cube.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:11 am 

What a great puzzle, Tony!
Congrats on the release!
I look forward to playing with it. :D
Vadim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:22 am 

And the Blindman is still totally lost as to the shape of this skewb variant.

Also, in my defense at getting the name wrong in my previous post: my screenreader makes no distinction between extreme and xtreme.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:29 am 

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
Also, in my defense at getting the name wrong in my previous post: my screenreader makes no distinction between extreme and xtreme.

I only mention this because everyone is likely to ask "what's extreme about it?" whereas if it's written correctly then it's obvious what it means. I still prefer "The X-Factor" personally BTW.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:39 am 

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
And the Blindman is still totally lost as to the shape of this skewb variant.

It's a Standard Skewb with a V cut into the edges where the centers meet, resulting in X shaped centers, and giving them orientation.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:55 am 

like that

Attachments:
sd.jpg
sd.jpg [ 77.88 KiB | Viewed 5144 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:32 pm 

BTW, congrats to you Tony on another mass produced puzzle. I'm envious! I"ll be buying this for sure...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:18 pm 

Olivér Nagy wrote:
Skarabajo wrote:

He said he didn't have enough colours available for a 14.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:10 pm 

I now believe there is an error regarding descriptions. I believe this - "Skewb Xtreme 10 Fluorescent Colors by Tony Fisher" is wrong since only 6 fluorescent colours (in this material) actually exist. I am trying to find more out from Ulrich Meffert and will report back.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:49 am 

Wow, fantastic puzzle! Congratulations.
There is one small detail about the 6 colour version that I dont like too much: there are yellow corners next to the yellow X, I would find it more logical when all the colours of the X's and corners would be different, but maybe that's not possible with only 6 colours?

http://1002-puzzles.blogspot.be/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:48 am 

mixer wrote:
Wow, fantastic puzzle! Congratulations.
There is one small detail about the 6 colour version that I dont like too much: there are yellow corners next to the yellow X, I would find it more logical when all the colours of the X's and corners would be different, but maybe that's not possible with only 6 colours?

Not with a colour scheme based on the compound tetrahedron (aka stellated octahedron) aspect of the puzzle... where opposite sides of the two tetrahedrons are the same colour. That will leave no room to set the cube faces (the puzzle being half way between the two... I'm not sure what you'd really call that, beyond just a triacontahedron (ie a 30 face polyhedron)). It is possible to come up with a pattern for six if you don't do that.

I think the most interesting number of colours for this puzzle mathematically is 8. There are 56 vertices, with three faces meeting at each... and 8 choose 3 == 56 (ie there are exactly enough vertices to have each one have a different set of three colours around it with only eight colours).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:21 am 

This is incredibly confusing but if you have already ordered one it's important that you read this. Ulrich has now changed the descriptions and I finally understand (I think) what's going on.

Coming soon (sometime after 15th Sept 2013)
7 colour (German vinyl stickers) = 6 on faces / crosses + 1 on recessed areas
10 colour (German vinyl stickers) = 6 on faces / crosses + 4 on recessed areas (doubling up on opposite "triangles")

Currently advertised (14th Sept 2013)
3 puzzles with fluorescent stickers. These are based on the above 10 colour and 7 colour versions but since there are only 6 fluorescent colours available they have simply reused them on the puzzles. So all will have just 6 colours, even the one originally advertised as 10 colour. This was the point I raised with Ulrich pointing out you can't call it 10 colour if it only has 6!

What does it mean?
If you ordered a 10 colour fluorescent expecting a 10 colour fluorescent you won't get one since they don't exist. I told Ulrich he should contact everyone who ordered a 10 colour telling them that but it might be up to you guys to query it. Sorry. If you ordered one of the other fluorescent ones you will get what you ordered (hopefully).
Soon the true 10 colour ones will be on the site, so from now on if you order any described as 10 colour you should get a true 10 colour with German vinyl stickers. Basically, if you haven't ordered yet you can ignore everything written above and buy what you want based on current descriptions (since they have now been corrected) on Mefferts.

I really hate these situations especially since my name is associated with it. Unfortunately I wasn't consulted on these decisions but I have tried to make things right.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:33 am 

Thank you for your explanation, I will wait to buy until the 10 colour version is available.

http://1002-puzzles.blogspot.be/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:04 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I now believe there is an error regarding descriptions. I believe this - "Skewb Xtreme 10 Fluorescent Colors by Tony Fisher" is wrong since only 6 fluorescent colours (in this material) actually exist. I am trying to find more out from Ulrich Meffert and will report back.

Thanks Tony, for putting your latest post up. (I was half way though mine but you beat me too it.)

Tony Fisher wrote:
What does it mean?
If you ordered a 10 colour fluorescent expecting a 10 colour fluorescent you won't get one since they don't exist. I told Ulrich he should contact everyone who ordered a 10 colour telling them that but it might be up to you guys to query it. Sorry. If you ordered one of the other fluorescent ones you will get what you ordered (hopefully).
Soon the true 10 colour ones will be on the site, so from now on if you order any described as 10 colour you should get a true 10 colour with German vinyl stickers. Basically, if you haven't ordered yet you can ignore everything written above and buy what you want based on current descriptions (since they have now been corrected) on Mefferts.

I really hate these situations especially since my name is associated with it. Unfortunately I wasn't consulted on these decisions but I have tried to make things right.

My father will be sending a newsletter out later today explaining this mixup.

Everyone that ordered the Orange or Pink fluorescent versions of the Skewb Xtreme will be getting what they ordered (definitely).

To everyone that were mislead by the product title we are incredibly sorry. I didn't find out about this until Tony emailed me (I'm not normally involved with the posting of new products).
The standard vinyl versions of the Skewb Xtreme will be available in a few weeks, once the new labels arrives and they will be sold for the same price ($20.00).

Olivér Nagy wrote:

Sorry Olivér, with the new heavy metal standards the EU implemented in their new toy safety directive (which is already in effect) it was difficult enough to find 12 colours that pass. It just wouldn't be financially viable to find another two colours that pass in order to make a 14 colour version as each official test costs about $25,000 USD and we don't have a puzzle that uses more than 12 colours anyway. (If we mix our gloss and matte labels together we might be able to do it but it would look ugly)
Especially when you consider that the extra colours don't add any extra difficulty/functionality to the puzzle.

Tony Fisher wrote:
I only mention this because everyone is likely to ask "what's extreme about it?" whereas if it's written correctly then it's obvious what it means. I still prefer "The X-Factor" personally BTW.

I also like the "X-Factor" name but would really like to avoid potential trademark infringement so yeah... That was sort of off the table.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:17 am 

How many colours did you use on your prototype Tony ?
Thankyou.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:49 am 

SunWinder wrote:
How many colours did you use on your prototype Tony ?
Thankyou.

I used 10 colours. The arrangement will be the same on the 10 colour mass produced one though colours will differ.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:38 pm 

I now have an unboxing & demo video up- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSxF9Oxl4Rc . These are the mass produced ones though the stickers were applied before final decisions were made. It's a good guide to quality though. As mentioned in the video the screws are easy accessible unlike on a regular Skewb.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:49 am 

UMeffert wrote:
Olivér Nagy wrote:
...I think a 14 color version would look much better!
Sorry Olivér, with the new heavy metal standards the EU implemented in their new toy safety directive (which is already in effect) it was difficult enough to find 12 colours that pass...

What if you use the 6 fluorescent colours for the faces and the 12 vinyl colors for the recessed areas?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:20 pm 

^That would work, if the flourescent material wasn't discontinued.

Now, the question is, How to make a blindman's version of this puzzle? I can't imagine the indents having enough room to allow for raised shapes, and finding enough unique textures of vinyl seems unlikely.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:01 am 

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
Now, the question is, How to make a blindman's version of this puzzle? I can't imagine the indents having enough room to allow for raised shapes, and finding enough unique textures of vinyl seems unlikely.

There are a number of ways I can think of to do that. One would be to use four different textures for the tetrahedral face patterns (which would be the indents), and use raised shapes for the cube X faces (which are larger).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:39 pm 

^That actually sounds like quite an elegant solution. Is stickering the indents like the faces of a 4-color compound of two tetrahedra sufficient to make the corners unique without stickering the the sides of the corners that are part of the cube faces?

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:53 am 

It should be.

One way to do a seven colour scheme is to match the opposite cube faces like the opposite faces in the compound tetrahedra. Which gives a puzzle where every piece has a similarly coloured twin, but with opposite handedness. Which makes it like a seven colour rainbow cuboctahedron.

That property should still work without the cube faces marked... if one corner has the indent side colours going (1, 2, 3) clockwise, the opposite corner will have (1, 2, 3) going withershins (or (1, 3, 2) going clockwise). Similarly, the indent sides of the cube centers also reverse direction on the other side.

This should force the configuration. Hand wavy proof: A center that requires a corner on one side of it to fit between indents marked (3,1) and (2,3) has to be filled with a corner matching (1,2,x), and sits on what must be a tetrahedral 3 face. Because of that the third side must be a 4 (it can't be a 1 or 2, because each corner has three different colours, and it can't be a 3, because it must be paired with the 3 that finishes the tetrahedral face). And so the only corner that will fit there is the one that goes (1,2,4) in the correct direction. Similarly which centers are allowed on the other sides of the corner will get forced, and so on. And so everything should be fixed in place, relative to that first center.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:58 am 

I just posted an unboxing and review of the Skewb Xtreme (multi). I think it's a great puzzle, marred by the rather ridiculous choice of sticker colours. They're cool and fluoro and all, and I understand the whole thing about "limited edition", but it seems like they had old stickers they wanted to use up, and didn't think much about the colour matching. Puzzle quality itself looks excellent and the sticker quality is also very very good. If I had my time again I probably would have ordered the other two 6 colour versions as well (and maybe I will in the future). Still waiting for the 10 colour version to be released...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:02 am 

rline wrote:
I understand the whole thing about "limited edition".

Is the whole cube limited edition or just the sticker config?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:48 pm 

andychilly wrote:
rline wrote:
I understand the whole thing about "limited edition".

Is the whole cube limited edition or just the sticker config?

I believe it's just the sticker config.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:52 pm 

andychilly wrote:
....Is the whole cube limited edition or just the sticker config?
I think, "limited edition" refers to the sticker material "fluorescent". When that material is no longer available they will switch to vinyl stickers.

I got the 6 colour "orange" version today. It looks really nice and actually Meffert's have used identical colours as on other puzzles before. (There are not many different colours using he fluorescent material.)
I have ordered a few minutes ago the 6 colour multi version "Tony’s Skewb Xtreme - Fluorescent Limited Edition (Multi)". This one provides the additional challenge of orientating the centres (like on the Skewb Ultimate, Tony's Golden Cube, Skewb Kite ...)

It turns very smoothly and I like it (no lubrication needed :wink: ) Somehow, it looks much cooler than an ordinary Skewb.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:20 pm 

rline wrote:
I just posted an unboxing and review of the Skewb Xtreme (multi). I think it's a great puzzle, marred by the rather ridiculous choice of sticker colours. They're cool and fluoro and all, and I understand the whole thing about "limited edition", but it seems like they had old stickers they wanted to use up, and didn't think much about the colour matching.
I'm going to go watch your video now and you may have already answered this, but on this puzzle are more colours harder or are fewer? If the colours are difficult to distinguish, I have no compunction about changing the stickers, and for the collectors, please understand that I am just making YOUR puzzle more valuable :D.

This is a long weekend in Canada (Thanksgiving) and there was only a slim chance that my puzzle would be delivered today... but no such luck.

Last edited by Pete the Geek on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:01 am 

rline wrote:
I understand the whole thing about "limited edition", but it seems like they had old stickers they wanted to use up, and didn't think much about the colour matching.

Actually the opposite is true. The textured material is very expensive and hard to find. It's more a case of only using it on special occasions. Regarding the colour arrangements, I agree it has been used in a slightly bizarre way. A few good colour schemes had been discussed, all of which require at least 7 colours. Uwe then decided to make these special edition ones entirely with textured stickers. With only 6 colours available though it was never going to work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:50 am 

I hope this is an acceptable bump...
I really recommend the 7 color version. I finally received mine today and it's perfect!
The stickers are AMAZING. Both the quality, and it being all shiney and clean.
They did a really good job stickering the puzzle and (as always) packaging.
The turning is very smooth compared with my Meffert's skewb. But I haven't played roughly
with it so I don't know weather or not it will pop.
Long story short, it's a pleasant puzzle to play with.

Anyway,
I just wanted to tell you guys that you should buy the 7 color version while it's still available :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:19 am 

I second this opinion.
I got the 7-colour edition a few days ago (I had got the orange version first).
It is really nice!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:18 am 

I got one of the new 10 color versions through the Jade Club but it is missing a sticker. I'm not sure how to contact them about it. Any suggestions?