Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 7,000 Calorie Pink Cookie (Valve's Snack Bar)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:13 pm 

So I bring a question regarding this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR0WN55p_zI. So in this video, they show a big pink cookie. They claim that it contains 7,000 Calories. How can a cookie that size contain so much? And if it's packaged, where can you buy it?

As much as I want this cookie, the health hazards just astound me. If it was available for purchase somewhere, then could it be that they were stopped for the health hazards? And at that, I really want to see the snack bar now.

So what is everyone's opinion about this cookie?

Post subject: Re: 7,000 Calorie Pink Cookie (Valve's Snack Bar)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:28 pm 

I'm... pretty sure the guy was exaggerating. :lol: (Or meant to say "hundred".)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:48 pm 

Well, for reference, 1 gram of fat is about 9 calories. So a lower limit on weight would be 778 grams = 1.71 pounds if it were pure fat. So...yeah. Exaggeration.

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:46 am 

Well, considering a typical cookie weighs 15 grams, Uranium as used in nuclear fission has an energy density of 83.000 MJ/kg, an uranium cookie would contain roughly 298 trillion calories. Though it would definitely be a health hazard.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:29 pm 

^But how much of that would actually be available for driving metabolism? To my knowledge, eukaryotic cells have no way of harnessing the energy released from radioactive decay, musch less neclear fission.

Though it also raises the question: What is the densest substance(both in terms of calories per gram and grams per cubic centimeter) from which the human body is capable of harnessing chemical energy?
I know most fats have more calories per gram than carbohydrates and proteins, but it is also my understanding that most fats have a very low density while some proteins are much denser. Not sure about carbohydrates in the density department though.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:34 pm 

TomZ wrote:
Well, considering a typical cookie weighs 15 grams, Uranium as used in nuclear fission has an energy density of 83.000 MJ/kg, an uranium cookie would contain roughly 298 trillion calories. Though it would definitely be a health hazard.

Yeah but it would be filling and there's health issues with everything these days.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:39 pm 

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
Though it also raises the question: What is the densest substance(both in terms of calories per gram and grams per cubic centimeter) from which the human body is capable of harnessing chemical energy?
I know most fats have more calories per gram than carbohydrates and proteins, but it is also my understanding that most fats have a very low density while some proteins are much denser. Not sure about carbohydrates in the density department though.

I bet it would be possible to genetically engineer an organism to crank out a designer protein that can then be dried out and be very dense. Whether or not it could have over 9/4 the amount of calories as fat per volume would the question. My guess is that if somehow this could be possible, it would be so tightly wound, that digestive enzymes would not work on it - similar to how hair is protein, but the body still can't digest it - which is why the cats keep hacking up hairballs.

From a mass standpoint though, it wouldn't be possible to beat the 9 or so calories per gram from fats/oils. So for space missions in which mass is critical to keeping launch costs down, the densist protein in the world wouldn't be able to compete with fat for calories. But for wilderness survival in keeping space to a minimum, the dense protein may work better. Palatability is a different story...

-d

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:53 pm 

Fat has the highest energy (calorie) density, both per gram and per ml, even though it's less dense (g/ml) than water. The reason is that C-C bonds contain more energy than C-O or C-N bonds, and that's precisely why nature uses fats rather than proteins, sugars or carbohydrates to store more energy in the long term (e.g., for hibernation). On the other hand, fats can't easily be burnt so quickly, so carbohydrates are used to provide a more immediate source of energy. Proteins are very poor for storing energy, and are only burnt when there is no fat or carbohydrate left to burn. This is what happens during muscle wasting in starvation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:55 pm 

I believe they're confusing Calories with calories?

http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/foods/cal-vs-kcal

Quote:
kcalories is what you see on the labels and what you burn (called Calories, with a capital "C"). kcals is equivalent to 1,000 calories (calories with a small c). So when it comes to dieting, kcals (Calories) are what you really deal with. usually though people refer to kcals as calories with a lower case c including me, but as long as you're talking about food and the Calories burned, most likely the person is refering to kcals.

Quote:
1 kcal = 1 Calorie = 1000 calories. Common usage in the US is that a calorie is the same as a kcal (as far as nutrition labels are concerned anyway). Other countries (esp. European ones) tend to use kcal instead....it's a more accurate term anyway.

Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:07 pm 

Quote:
1 kcal = 1 Calorie = 1000 calories. Common usage in the US is that a calorie is the same as a kcal (as far as nutrition labels are concerned anyway). Other countries (esp. European ones) tend to use kcal instead....it's a more accurate term anyway.

That's because Americans are fat and eat 1,000 times as much as anyone else, so they had to invent a different scale to feel better about themselves. :lol:

OK, only joking, but it did make me wonder! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:42 pm 

I thought most countries outside the US used Kilojoules for measuring the dietary energy of food, and that the US's continued use of the Calorie was part of our cultural reluctance to do away with the simplified version of the old English Imperial system of measurement many Americans continue to use on a daily basis.

Proteins are probably to large a category of chemcials to determine "densest that can be burned for metabolic energy" even if we limit the discussion to naturally occurring proteins, but what is the densest form of fat and carbohydrate found in nature that can be burned for metabolic energy? What would be the minimal volume to contain 7000 Calories of that fat or carbohydrate?

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:04 pm 

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
I thought most countries outside the US used Kilojoules for measuring the dietary energy of food, and that the US's continued use of the Calorie was part of our cultural reluctance to do away with the simplified version of the old English Imperial system of measurement many Americans continue to use on a daily basis.
I can't speak for the rest of the world but the US uses kilicalories (but calls them calories). 1 kilicalorie is 4184 joules of energy.

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
Proteins are probably to large a category of chemcials to determine "densest that can be burned for metabolic energy" even if we limit the discussion to naturally occurring proteins, but what is the densest form of fat and carbohydrate found in nature that can be burned for metabolic energy? What would be the minimal volume to contain 7000 Calories of that fat or carbohydrate?

Fat is extremely energy dense (37 MJ / kg). Even more dense that pure ethanol (29 KJ / kg).

Check out the table at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:11 pm 

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
Proteins are probably to large a category of chemcials to determine "densest that can be burned for metabolic energy" even if we limit the discussion to naturally occurring proteins
Not really, all natural proteins consist of fairly similar proportions of amino acids, which are all chemically similar in any case. Only the side chains are different, and the large carbon-rich side chains (e.g., leucine and isoleucine) probably have a slightly higher energy content because they are more fat-like, but I think the difference in energy density between different proteins will be negligible.

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
what is the densest form of fat and carbohydrate found in nature that can be burned for metabolic energy?
It's probably some triglyceride comprising long chain fatty acids (highest carbon content).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:16 pm 

Well, after reading these responses, I've learned more than I have in my 17 years of health related learning. And better yet, it started with a cookie.

I do think that the video should have included what spelling so it would be easier to figure out what unit they used. Still, I want to try that cookie.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:19 pm 

NXTgen wrote:
Still, I want to try that cookie.
You may as well sprinkle a bit of sugar on pure animal fat, yum! :x

PS. Check out Heat of Combustion, which applies to foods as well as fuel and other chemicals.