Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Platinum Cube (Master Golden Cube)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:12 am 

Hey guys,
Today I'm presenting another puzzle, the Platinum Cube. It is a higher order version of Tony Fisher's Golden Cube.
VIDEO
Attachment:
File comment: Platinum Cube: View 1
DSC00235.JPG
DSC00235.JPG [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 5056 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Platinum Cube: View 2
DSC00236.JPG
DSC00236.JPG [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 5056 times ]

The puzzle from all 6 sides:
Attachment:
File comment: Platinum Cube: View 4
DSC00227.JPG
DSC00227.JPG [ 1.72 MiB | Viewed 5336 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Platinum Cube: View 5
DSC00228.JPG
DSC00228.JPG [ 1.61 MiB | Viewed 5336 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Platinum Cube: View 6
DSC00229.JPG
DSC00229.JPG [ 1.69 MiB | Viewed 5336 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Platinum Cube: View 7
DSC00230.JPG
DSC00230.JPG [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 5336 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Platinum Cube: View 8
DSC00231.JPG
DSC00231.JPG [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 5336 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Platinum Cube: View 9
DSC00232.JPG
DSC00232.JPG [ 1.61 MiB | Viewed 5336 times ]

The Platinum Cube is essentially a Master version of Tony Fisher's Golden Cube in that it has shallower cuts which creates extra layers. It can also be viewed as a Master Skewb with the Golden Cube transformation applied to it.
I have designed it to be very accurate to Tony's original cube: one corner piece is perfectly equilateral, and some other pieces get placed in the center as well. I've also offset the puzzle not just in one direction, but in 2 different directions on different layers to greatly confuse the solver, similar to a Ghost Cube.
In this design, some of the pieces in the puzzle are actually identical. However, almost all of these pairs of identical pieces actually lie in different orbits, so they can never switch places, making recognition a real challenge. There is only 1 pair that lies in the same orbit, but this actually can create a false equivocation when solving the puzzle. In other words, this puzzle has 2 kinds of parity... :shock:
Also, the majority of the Dino-edge pieces are all rhombus shapes...just with different slants on them... :twisted:
I've named it the Platinum Cube because (I think) platinum is the next logical step after gold. I've also chosen to use platinumey-looking stickers for the puzzle, to fit this name... :lol:
Here are some turns:
Attachment:
File comment: Platinum Cube: Turn 1
DSC00237.JPG
DSC00237.JPG [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 5056 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Platinum Cube: Turn 2
DSC00238.JPG
DSC00238.JPG [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 5056 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Platinum Cube: Turn 3
DSC00239.JPG
DSC00239.JPG [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 5056 times ]

The puzzle turns perfectly, with absolutely no pops or lock-ups. It is much better in quality than the mass-produced Master Skewb.
The size of this puzzle is much smaller than the Golden Cube at 60mm to an edge, and it fits perfectly into your hands!
Scrambled...
Attachment:
File comment: Platinum Cube: Scrambled 1
DSC00240.JPG
DSC00240.JPG [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 5056 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Platinum Cube: Scrambled 2
DSC00241.JPG
DSC00241.JPG [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 5056 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Platinum Cube: Scrambled 3
DSC00242.JPG
DSC00242.JPG [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 5056 times ]

Enjoy!

Last edited by benpuzzles on Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Platinum Cube (Master Golden Cube)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:54 am 

Beautiful!

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:06 am 

Wow.. great looking puzzle! Well done :o

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:20 am 

Lovely puzzle, I thought it was another Ghost cube at first. BTW, shouldn't you have called it the Mercury Cube, as this is the next element up in the periodic table from Gold, which also fits in with the silvery/grey stickers?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:16 am 

WOW!!! :shock:
Fantastic job!
When is it going into production? 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:38 am 

Mass production sounds nice, but I would much rather own a rare handmade version over a mass produced one. It's kind of like getting Traiphum's Hexaminx the day after the mass produced Hexaminx was announced.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:46 am 

Dear Uwe Meffert,
This would be a great new mass produced puzzle. A higher order of Tony Fisher's Golden Cube. :D

Regards,

FB Account
Puzzle Lust
Youtube Account

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:40 am 

Drat, I was hoping to be the first to make this some day. :lol: I love it though! I think Gus is right, Mercury Cube would do nicely. Or maybe Quicksilver Cube? The uneven surface of the stickers does make it look like liquid metal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:36 pm 

Thanks everyone! I have updated the first post with better pictures and video.
Gus wrote:
Lovely puzzle, I thought it was another Ghost cube at first. BTW, shouldn't you have called it the Mercury Cube, as this is the next element up in the periodic table from Gold, which also fits in with the silvery/grey stickers?

Interesting idea, but I'm probably thinking in terms of medals. They usually go in this order: bronze, silver, gold, platinum. I wanted to follow this idea and so I chose the name Platinum Cube, but Mercury Cube sounds nice too... :wink:
BelcherBoy2000 wrote:
Mass production sounds nice, but I would much rather own a rare handmade version over a mass produced one. It's kind of like getting Traiphum's Hexaminx the day after the mass produced Hexaminx was announced.

It's probably a little awkward for me to say this, but...I agree :lol:
Modern-Day Warrior wrote:
Drat, I was hoping to be the first to make this some day.

Go right ahead! I would love to see a handmade version of this puzzle. I would do it, but trust me, my hand-modding skills are far from good :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:15 am 

Alright, so now that I have scrambled this puzzle (as you can tell from the above photos) I decided to suck up all of my courage and attempt to solve it. So far, I have 1 layer done:
Attachment:
DSC00243.JPG
DSC00243.JPG [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 4942 times ]

Attachment:
DSC00244.JPG
DSC00244.JPG [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 4942 times ]

It honestly wasn't as hard as I anticipated, so I don't expect it to take me much longer to get the second layer solved as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:46 am 

This looks like a beautiful cube,

Could someone humour my ignorance and explain to me the difference between ghost cube and a golden cube, therefore the difference between this and the 4x4 ghost cube?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:33 am 

A golden cube is a skewb modification, so this is a master skewb modification. Ghost cubes are modifications of standard cubes.

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:39 am 

Very nice indeed! Ever since I bought a master skewb, I wanted to see this made...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:09 am 

Very nice and good name choice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:17 pm 

I must say, as much as I love this puzzle, I love this phrase more!!
benpuzzles wrote:
platinumey-looking stickers
:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:26 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
That is just fabulous! Thanks for showing.
I really hope this gets mass produced so I can have a copy next to my ghost and master ghost cubes!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:38 am 

I love it.

Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:44 pm 

what a mess :lol:

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:31 pm 

Step 2 complete.
Attachment:
DSC00246.JPG
DSC00246.JPG [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 4532 times ]

Attachment:
DSC00245.JPG
DSC00245.JPG [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 4532 times ]

This took a lot longer than expected, mainly because I didn't realize until now that the pieces in the middle layer lie in 2 orbits, so I effectively needed 5 algorithms just for this layer :shock:
Just one more layer and it will be solved. I can't wait!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:33 pm 

I FINALLY solved it!!!
Attachment:
DSC00259.JPG
DSC00259.JPG [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 4276 times ]

Attachment:
DSC00260.JPG
DSC00260.JPG [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 4276 times ]

I'll be honest and say that this was one of the most enjoyable solves I have EVER done. Figuring out a layer-by-layer solving method was really fun, but honestly it was also very difficult at times, especially that last layer...which made me almost take it apart at points. But I kept pushing through it...until, at last, it was done.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:49 pm 

Your cube is really very beautiful. Is your cube soon going to be available on Shapeways or mass product? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:51 pm 

Cristhenice wrote:
Your cube is really very beautiful. Is your cube soon going to be available on Shapeways or mass product? :roll:

I've gotten a lot of demand for this puzzle, so I might auction it off on eBay. But it depends on how much I like it... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:40 pm 

benpuzzles wrote:
Cristhenice wrote:

I've gotten a lot of demand for this puzzle, so I might auction it off on eBay. But it depends on how much I like it... :wink:
I read this... and then wanted to check to see if you had posted in this thread. You hadn't. I see you do have a Shapeways shop and I assume this is a Shapeways print... correct? Not sure I want to side-track this thread or that I should ask you to post in a very old thread (though that is where I think it would make the most sense) but I'd love to hear your opinion on the subject. How do you determine what you want to sell on eBay vs Shapeways? Do you ever use both methods for the same puzzle?

I agree this is a beautiful puzzle. I wish you success in which ever selling options you pursure.

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:48 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
I see you do have a Shapeways shop and I assume this is a Shapeways print... correct?

Yes, this is a 3D printed puzzle. I thought about hand-making it from a Master Skewb, but the mass produced master skewb isn't very good quality in my opinion.
wwwmwww wrote:
Not sure I want to side-track this thread or that I should ask you to post in a very old thread (though that is where I think it would make the most sense) but I'd love to hear your opinion on the subject. How do you determine what you want to sell on eBay vs Shapeways? Do you ever use both methods for the same puzzle?

This is a very subjective topic, but I think I'll determine it in 2 ways to keep it simple:
Firstly, how marketable the puzzle is. If I were to sell this on Shapeways, others could easily buy the puzzle as a DIY kit. However, if one is without knowledge of how the puzzle fits together, assembling it into the solved state would be excruciatingly difficult, if not very annoying. You would basically have to look at the CAD file to put it together. I see this as a real barrier of selling the puzzle to others, and so I don't think I will ever offer DIY kits on Shapeways for this reason. However, selling complete copies of the puzzle is much more viable for me, so I think selling them on eBay is a better option.
Secondly, the value of the puzzle, and how much work I put into it. Originally, I truly wanted this to be a one-off puzzle, due to how unique it is. Quite honestly, I want it to be rare. I know this goes against my idea of getting as many puzzles as possible out there for other people to enjoy, but for this puzzle (for now, at least) I'd like it to exist in small quantities as a collector's piece. Therefore, an eBay auction is really probably the best option for selling this puzzle.
wwwmwww wrote:
I agree this is a beautiful puzzle. I wish you success in which ever selling options you pursure.

Thanks! I really put a lot of though into the design and presentation of the puzzle, so I'm glad you like it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:02 am 

benpuzzles wrote:
If I were to sell this on Shapeways, others could easily buy the puzzle as a DIY kit. However, if one is without knowledge of how the puzzle fits together, assembling it into the solved state would be excruciatingly difficult, if not very annoying. You would basically have to look at the CAD file to put it together.
To be honest... what you describe as "excruciatingly difficult, if not very annoying" sounds like fun to me. I personally really enjoy mechanism and I'm a rather poor solver. Oh I think I could be an ok solver, its just that I enjoy designing the next mechanism over trying to solve one of my puzzles most days. So what you describe to me is usually the puzzle I would enjoy the most. Figuring out how to assemble it. Odds are I could do that much faster then actually solving the puzzle if I were to ever scramble it. Not really trying to change your opinion as its your puzzle but I doubt your potential customers would view the assembly process as annoying.

In somewhat related news... a decade ago I used to collect jigsaw puzzles, the bigger the better. I stopped as the last one I put together was probably 2 decades ago. I enjoy jigsaws... I just don't have time for them any more and the collection I do have is probably more then enough to keep me busy through retirement. However just this week I noticed Ravensburger has released a 32000 piece jigsaw puzzle. A part of myself still finds that tempting but I know I'd never have the time for it any time soon so I've passed. But if you find the process of putting together a few dozen oddly shapes pieces which amounts to a 3D jigsaw puzzle which when assembled properly produces another functional puzzle as annoying I'm going to guess you've never put together a fair sized jigsaw puzzle. It can be fun and relaxing if one has the time for it. Assembling twisty puzzles though is even more fun. Its the act of stickering that I find annoying... LOL!!

I have a complete set of V-Cube. I got the 5x5x5, 6x6x6, and 7x7x7 when they first came out. The 6x6x6 fell apart in shipping on its way to me and I was happy it had as I had a blast putting it back together. All the others I've purchased as kits.

Anyways... just sharing my perspective,
Carl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:07 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
To be honest... what you describe as "excruciatingly difficult, if not very annoying" sounds like fun to me. I personally really enjoy mechanism and I'm a rather poor solver. Oh I think I could be an ok solver, its just that I enjoy designing the next mechanism over trying to solve one of my puzzles most days. So what you describe to me is usually the puzzle I would enjoy the most. Figuring out how to assemble it. Odds are I could do that much faster then actually solving the puzzle if I were to ever scramble it. Not really trying to change your opinion as its your puzzle but I doubt your potential customers would view the assembly process as annoying.

Hmmm...I wasn't trying to get the wrong attitude towards this across. I think personally I saw the assembly process as somewhat annoying because I wanted to get the puzzle finished so I could present it. If others are really very interested in this puzzle (including the challenge of assembly) then I just might consider selling this on Shapeways, along with fully assembled kits. I'll think about it.

wwwmwww wrote:
But if you find the process of putting together a few dozen oddly shapes pieces which amounts to a 3D jigsaw puzzle which when assembled properly produces another functional puzzle as annoying I'm going to guess you've never put together a fair sized jigsaw puzzle.

I'm not one that is really into jigsaw puzzles, but I have solved many of them so I know where you're coming from.
wwwmwww wrote:
I have a complete set of V-Cube. I got the 5x5x5, 6x6x6, and 7x7x7 when they first came out. The 6x6x6 fell apart in shipping on its way to me and I was happy it had as I had a blast putting it back together. All the others I've purchased as kits.

I really enjoy assembling puzzles as well, but honestly it's only the mechanical aspect for me, as I like to see how it works. But that's really where my excitement ends.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:16 am 

I see these sort of puzzles and I sag a little bit.

They are absolutely amazing but I could never afford one through shape ways and I imagine it would never realistically get mass produced so I will spend the rest of my life just looking and imagining what it would be like to own haha

Am I wrong? can someone brighten up my day and tell me it is possible that something this amazing could become mass produced?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:31 pm 

Love it! Is this still for sale? I didn't see it on Shapeways.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:01 am 

Might I suggest making a Platinum Egg? That would be quite the challenge! I hope to see one before I die ( which should be in about 80-90 years :lol: ). I hope to see the Platinum Cube on Shapeways soon.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:49 am 

Great looking puzzle! Would the next level up be a diamond cube? :lol:

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:11 pm 

BelcherBoy2000 wrote:
Might I suggest making a Platinum Egg? That would be quite the challenge! I hope to see one before I die ( which should be in about 80-90 years :lol: )

That's a really cool idea. It might look something like this:
Attachment:
platinum egg 1.png
platinum egg 1.png [ 116.99 KiB | Viewed 3423 times ]

Attachment:
platinum egg 2.png
platinum egg 2.png [ 137.26 KiB | Viewed 3423 times ]

I'll think about it.