Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New blockbuilding 3x3x3 method
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:17 am 

Hi Friends,

Over a year ago now I made this method for solving the 3x3x3 Cube. I uploaded it to Youtube a few weeks ago. At present I have it on `unlisted` to share with my Twistypuzzles friends first. There are no ads (I haven't monetised anything so far, I may choose to monetise some beginner methods in the future, but I will keep all of my advanced-puzzle videos ad free). The video goes for 56:28 but I have put in skip features so that good solvers can progress very quickly through every step.

http://youtu.be/fSBz4d4dDMk

I made it as a way to introduce beginners to thinking about the RC in a different way. My Youtube blurb says:
Youtube Blurb wrote:
If you can solve a single face on the cube, you can actually solve most of the puzzle with the same logical blockbuilding process.. here's how! Use logic and technique to solve the cube, instead of abstract algorithms.

This method is the simplest, most logical method for solving the Rubiks cube that I have been able to make yet. The tutorial is done in a slow paced way for beginners to understand, and if you're an accomplished solver I have provided options for you to skip through.

Lars Petrus introduced a blockbuilding method for speedcubing, but I'm not presenting this for speedcubing, rather, to give beginners a different option to the traditional face or layer-building methods.

The significant difference between this method and other methods is that it allows the user to focus entirely on one `piece` at a time. Stacking it into place, while conserving what has already been completed. From the beginning of the solve, right through to the end of the solve.

Keep in mind, it'll always be some sort of jump for a beginner to solve the last part of the cube. No method is going to get around that you have to do `something` when you run out of space. I think what I have done with this method, is pushed that space `a bit further`, and taken the alg `out of` the last part as much as possible.

The logic learned here is also very translatable to other twisty puzzles. It's a great place to start your journey.

I hope you enjoy it,
Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

Post subject: Re: New blockbuilding 3x3x3 method
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:56 pm 

Hi Burgo,

I love blockbuilding methods.
Very interesting method. Very good is the parity case. The complete solution with only one easy sequence. This shows the basic of RC.

"Next step: Blockbuilding method for FTO."

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:25 pm 

Thanks! I will take a look.

Quick (OK, actually not so quick) question from someone not up on the various solving methods:

I taught myself to solve it in 1980, got my average down to about 40sec, not bad for then. These days, takes me around a minute, I don't do it all the time.

But. I also run marathons, pretty fast. There is a world record for most Rubik's Cubes solved during a marathon; it's 100. I'm pretty sure I can beat that. OK, it's a very silly and rather pointless thing to do, but sometimes one needs to do silly and pointless things. But, I tried solving while running, seems to take about 1:30. My goal would be to solve at least 125 cubes while running at most a 4-hour marathon. Add in overhead, swapping cubes around, screwups, etc., I'd like more cushion. I figured with a little work I could learn a newer method and get down to 30-40 sec. So I started learning Fridrich. I guess something about it just didn't click with my mind: that technique just clashed violently with how I already thought of the cube. And I just didn't put the time into it, and forgot everything. (Didn't help that Guinness vetoed the marathon I had my sights on for the record; I haven't picked a new one.)

So... what is the most painless way to learn to solve it in 30-40 sec? Preferably using the intuitive stuff I already know? FWIW I solve top corners, top edges, bottom corners, bottom edges, middle edges. Maybe just some polishing and shortcuts? (It also doesn't help that the original blue-opposite-white is wired into my brain. Blue-opposite-green is just WRONG. Grrr.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:50 am 

Thanks Andrea, it's nice to finally share the method and get feedback on it. It just naturally came from thinking how to teach beginners easier, but it's now become my actual favourite way to solve the RC.

Also, the CT tiled cube works very well in combination with this method, to give it to a beginner, it helps them get the idea quicker.

bhearn, I remember this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22857

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:37 am 

Hi Burgo,

I looked at most of your video. Very well done!
Andrea has expressed already what I would have wanted to say, too.

What a brilliant idea to use the CT DIY for showing the different intermediate goals and then perform the same logic on a normal 3x3x3 while the solved DIY sits in the background :!: :)

Have you made any experience with real beginners?

So far, I failed to create interest for the Rubik's Cube in my older granddaughter (she is turning to five next month).
I'll try it with a CT DIY again and shall start with your first step (a 2x2x2 block around one corner).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:57 am 

Yes, I've had better success with this method, and using the CT tiles, than with any other way. I usually like to just give them the CT cube with the 222 block and the other 3 centre piece tiles on it (like you suggested), and let them try, and only help if they're the easily frustrated type. Then of course you just add more tiles and let them progress at their own pace. People like that they can `complete the section` and see all the pieces on the puzzle `solved`, they feel more successful.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:57 am 

Konrad wrote:
What a brilliant idea to use the CT DIY for showing the different intermediate goals and then perform the same logic on a normal 3x3x3 while the solved DIY sits in the background :!: :)

I agree! :) When I first saw the method it was one of those moments when I thought to myself "that's such a great idea" and then wondered why I'd never thought of it :lol:

[to which I answered myself "cause I'm not Burgo :shock: "]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:50 pm 

When I first read the post, the method reminded me of one I saw a while ago.
I finally remembered the name: Tripod method
Here is link: http://www.mzrg.com/rubik/methods/tripod/
But you find more if you search speedsolving.com for "tripod method"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:59 pm 

Interesting!

The last seven pieces are handled differently and quite a few sequences are shown on this page.
I would vote clearly for Burgo's end game when you address beginners.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:04 am 

Hi Ortwin,

I first heard of the Tripod method when Matt left a comment on my Youtube:

Bobthegiraffemonkey wrote:
Just so you know, this is an easy version of the 'tripod' method.
Burgo wrote:
Interesting, I hadn't seen that method before. I see the similarity, but I think this method is distinct enough. The tripod method is a speedsolving method and treats the endgame quite differently, and for different purposes (going back to a form of F2L- layers method). Michael Gottlieb has his name on it, and he's a great solver. Thanks for pointing me in that direction, because it leads people to a possible speedsolving progression.
This is the link I found:
http://www.ostracodfiles.com/Tripod/main.html

I think the intentions and execution are quite different. On first glance the methods look similar, but all of my strategies are different. I came about this method through helping beginners, not through trying to make an efficient method for speedsolving. I tried to get away from conventional beginner F2L thinking as much as possible, and to see the puzzle philosophically in the round instead.

I would see the Tripod Method as more of an F2L method with a 2x2x1 block on the LL. I think the similarity between these methods is that they look similar outwardly. Philosophically and in execution they are very different and were conceived for different purposes and audiences.

It’s interesting that there’s a possible `progression` to a similar speedsolving method.. that interests some beginners, who want to know things like that. I’m really happy that having the conversation uncovers things like this for me. But also.. what I was trying to do here is a long way from what’s represented in a speedsolving method.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:07 am 

Could someone please help me find a place where I can buy the CT DIY with tiles that is used here for a reasonable price?

Thank you,

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:10 am 

ortwin wrote:
Could someone please help me find a place where I can buy the CT DIY with tiles that is used here for a reasonable price?

Thank you,

http://bit.ly/15AB7ht ($18)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:59 am 

Quote:

@rline : thank you, I ordered now

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:02 am 

Burgo, I am astounded at how many unique ways to solve the 3x3 that you have presented! I've been studying this blockbuilding... "Corner Block First" (?) method for a while, still trying to internalize it. The idea to use the CubeTwist as a training device is brilliant! I find that beginning learners have difficulty orienting the edge pieces, so this method may guide them a bit more by limiting their options for what faces to turn. Another big advantage of this method is that it continues with the puzzle in the same orientation for long enough to show significant progress. In teaching the Beginner's Method, I find learners often get lost/discouraged when they flip the puzzle over after doing the bottom cross; it makes it seem like they lost all of their work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:26 am 

Hello, Burgo!

Thanks for an interesting method!

I got another principle for the Permute and Orient 4 corners. I use one simple principle which I call "three". Using only this principle and simple setup moves we possible to resolve any situations with 4 corners.

if to you interestingly you can watch here - http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26169

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:25 am 

Thanks for your interest Sergey,

I have seen your posts and had a look at your good work on Valery's corners first, centres last, method. I am very interested, but unfortunately haven't had the time to give it a good try yet. I really look forward to making the time it deserves!

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:49 am 

Burgo wrote:
Thanks for your interest Sergey,

I have seen your posts and had a look at your good work on Valery's corners first, centres last, method. I am very interested, but unfortunately haven't had the time to give it a good try yet. I really look forward to making the time it deserves!

Cheers,
Burgo.

Again thanks for your video! Now I can solve corners without thinking of formulas. You gave good idea - As I understood your method uses series of direct movement and series of back movement for the decision last corners. And now each time I do this in different ways. Now I understood how people got many algorithms!

I think that my old method which I got (with “three” moves), too something is similar to your method, only I use movement which divided into subparts of three moves (direct and back) and intermediate setup moves.
For bigger understanding I added subtitles:
I don't brag I want to share with you, perhaps you would be interested. Maybe someone already found such decision.

Sorry for my pure English I practice it is only one month.

Best regards,
Sergey