Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Yoshimoto Cube
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:39 pm 

Okay, so it's not even really a puzzle but I found it at MOMANY and I think it's fun to play with (and related to geometry at least...). Basically it's one of those magic photo cubes (with the hinges and stuff) but it opens up to make 2 stellated rhombic dodecahedra (kind of hard to explain, you might just have to watch the video). I posted it on Reddit (my first Reddit post, would be nice if you would bump it up for me :) ) and on YouTube so you can see, but I'm wondering if you could make something similar (but perhaps less interesting) with some other shape that's related to the cube, like an octahedron. Any thoughts?

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

Post subject: Re: Yoshimoto Cube
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:13 pm 

My mind is blown into tiny pieces.....oh my gosh haha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:55 am 

quicksolver wrote:
Okay, so it's not even really a puzzle but I found it at MOMANY and I think it's fun to play with (and related to geometry at least...). Basically it's one of those magic photo cubes (with the hinges and stuff) but it opens up to make 2 stellated rhombic dodecahedra (kind of hard to explain, you might just have to watch the video). I posted it on Reddit (my first Reddit post, would be nice if you would bump it up for me :) ) and on YouTube so you can see, but I'm wondering if you could make something similar (but perhaps less interesting) with some other shape that's related to the cube, like an octahedron. Any thoughts?

Two truncated octahedra can be hinged and combined in exactly the same way as the Yoshimoto cube. This is merely a different way of bisecting the eight small cubes, but is probably quite nice too. It should actually work better because the hinges of the two parts will be side by side instead of one inside the other.

Edit:
As for completely different shapes, you could look into hexaflexagons (which are 2d) and their 3d counterpart called kaleidocycles.

Jaap's Puzzle Page:
http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:23 pm 

I actually just won a Yoshimoto cube auction. Yay! I've wanted one of these for so long, but didn't want to pay Moma's price. Saved 25 bucks. :D

Yeeeaars ago, when I was only 4 or so, I had a version of the Yoshimoto Cube that was called the Shinsei Mystery. I had picked it up at a little church yard sale/flea market and my mom bought it for me. It was missing its identical half, but I didn't know at the time. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. Tragically I lost it only a few days later because I brought it with me everywhere and must have left it lying somewhere... Oh well.

Anyway, Moma sells a set of all three forms of the Yoshimoto cubes for $250(!). They look cool, but that price tag is ridiculous. link

Aslo, here's a cool page about Kaleidocycles (where you can also see the Yoshimoto Cube no.2/Shinsei Miracle): link

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:25 am 

Modern-Day Warrior wrote:
Aslo, here's a cool page about Kaleidocycles (where you can also see the Yoshimoto Cube no.2/Shinsei Miracle)
Hi MDW,
I have that one, the Shinsei Miracle, it's really fun, but mine is old and if I use it too much I'm afraid of wearing it out.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:47 pm 

Thanks guys! I didn't even realize that there were two other variants of the Yoshimoto Cube, and I'm especially excited about the Shinsei Miracle variant (hooray for rhombic triacontahedra)!! Interesting, though, that they are selling the whole shebang for $240 when the one costs $70...

EDIT: or is it rhombic dodecahedra? I looked at a video and couldn't quite tell...

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:35 am 

Sorry for the bump, but I think that this video adds a lot to the post, i knew there was three variants of the yoshimoto cube, but i didn't know that all tree are suposed to be combined to create a big star, if i was blown away with the two stars coming from the 2x2, with the tree you can create a big star! Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ghy9-L ... ata_player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:32 pm 

Eliasthecollector93 wrote:
Sorry for the bump, but I think that this video adds a lot to the post, i knew there was three variants of the yoshimoto cube, but i didn't know that all tree are suposed to be combined to create a big star, if i was blown away with the two stars coming from the 2x2, with the tree you can create a big star! Check it out!

For what it's worth, there are additional sub-variants that haven't been widely explored AFAIK.

I designed this mechanically-hinged version which bisects the cube along the bias instead of along the edges, resulting in sub-cubes that always show both models on the outer surfaces. This version also treats the internal sub-cubes as hollow boxes, but that isn't technically a variant since any Yoshimoto scheme could do that by just hollowing out the pieces. (I call them Yoshi Boxes to distinguish them from a conventional Yoshimoto Cube.)

Two models snap together to form boxes...
ImageImage

YouTube video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=755VOSqRtH8

I'm now working on a further variant with snap-together hinges. It works, but some of my 3D printed pieces became warped after I tried to solvent-smooth them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:49 pm 

Nice one! What I was trying to say is that there are 3 variants of the puzzle and you can combine the together to form a big star
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ghy9-L ... ata_player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:28 pm 

I've often wondered whether the Yoshimoto Cube could be combined with the principles of flexagons...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:50 pm 

There is also the Tetrex, a flexagon like construction with migrating hinges like Rubik's Magic. The hinge locations move from one edge to another. The tetrahedra could be irregular I think, allowing construction of some neat 3d dissections like this.

http://www.puzzleforge.com/main/index.p ... mitstart=2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:42 am 

Anyone mind explaining the Big Star from three Yoshimoto cubes in a non-visual manner?

I understand that the classic Yoshimoto Cube consists of 8 cubes hinged in such a way that they form a 2*2*2 cube that can be turned inside out, and each small cube is bisected in such a way that the halves consist of 3 irregular square pyramids joined along triangular faces such that their apexes meet at the center of the cube and thier bases meet at a corner of the cube, and that this bisection allows the large cube to be separated into two sets of hinged half-cubes that can be folded either into a a stellation of the rhombic dodecahedron or a cube with an internal hollow in the shape of said stellation.

From their, I am completely lost in trying to follow the narration in that YouTube video. I am guessing the 2nd and 3rd Yoshimoto Cubes have a completely different structure or there is more to the above described cube than I realize.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop