Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Calvin's Puzzle - Tony & Traiphum Pillow Hexaminx coming
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:56 am 

Sigurd wrote:
IMO the value or hand crafted puzzles will never go down. maybe in resell value, but that I dont care about :D
Seeing puzzles coming to the market mass produced always makes me happy. Then everybody have a chance to play with a discount version of the real thing.
I share this opinion :D Both sentences!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:57 am 

Sigurd wrote:
Pete out of curiosity, why would you want a radio3? its exactly the same as Eitan's Star.
I don't know if my reasons are strong, but I like the look of the puzzle. I like the shape of the face pieces - big irregular pentagons instead of triangles. It has edges, so an extra step, but one that makes the rest of the solve a bit easier. It comes down to the fact that I enjoyed the Shapeways version so much, I would like to see it widely available. And since we are on the Hexaminx thread, I will say that the Radiolarian 3 already has a cubic transformation available - the Radio Cube 3!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:11 pm 

I have yet to get the shapeways version from Gregoire Pfenning, but I just want to know how much this will cost. That way I can either buy some puzzles now or wait until after. Calvin, what were you thinking for the sale price as a preorder?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:51 am 

First look at the mass produced Pillowed Hexaminx- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOeWSQbZ9A0 (edit: thanks Pete). I think this is one of the final prototypes.

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:25 am 

The link for the Tony's Mass produced PILLOWED HEXAMINX first look video is here. I can hardly wait for this puzzle. I hope the Pillowed Hexaminx opens the door to many more cubic transformations of existing dodecahedral puzzles!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:14 am 

This is one of the puzzles on my must-have list!

Can't wait!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:02 am 

This is a beautiful puzzle, I am really looking forward to this being mass produced, Im hoping it will be affordable for me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:34 pm 

This is on my "must own" list as well. I'm really glad Mr. Tony Fisher gave the green light on it so I can enjoy the puzzle fully knowing it came to market in an acceptable way. The stickers in that video look great!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:51 pm 

Tony, is there any chance we can get a look at the mechanism of this puzzle? I know it's a megaminx in pillowed cube form, but I want to know how the mechanism differs from other minx puzzles.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:28 am 

NXTgen wrote:
Tony, is there any chance we can get a look at the mechanism of this puzzle? I know it's a megaminx in pillowed cube form, but I want to know how the mechanism differs from other minx puzzles.

I don't want to give KO companies a head start by showing it yet. Once they are for sale I will certainly make a video.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:52 pm 

When is the first Hexaminx batch going to be ready for sale? It's been more than two months, and I'm considering spending my money on other puzzles if it's not out by the end of the month. :D No, I'm going to be patient. There's nothing else out there that I can afford, at least that I want.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:36 am 

The Hexaminx will be released in a few days.
A few photo to share :
Attachment:
hexaminx_1.jpg
hexaminx_1.jpg [ 163.93 KiB | Viewed 8415 times ]

Attachment:
hexaminx_3.jpg
hexaminx_3.jpg [ 153.77 KiB | Viewed 8415 times ]

- from Hong Kong

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:13 am 

Fantastic!!!! I love this cube. I really want one. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:30 am 

Just an FYI it has been put up for sale on his shop. Can't wait to get mine! :D

Post subject: Re: Calvin's Puzzle - Tony & Traiphum Pillow Hexaminx Releas
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:43 pm 

Just ordered one from HKNowStore. I really should finish the Hexaminx I've been working on...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:57 pm 

$38 for a shapemod is a bit steep. I really wanted this puzzle but I will have to pass at this price. :(

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:50 pm 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
themathkid wrote:
$38 for a shapemod is a bit steep. I really wanted this puzzle but I will have to pass at this price. :(

I think that $38 is great value for a puzzle that has been designed fresh and required a full set of new molds to be mass produced! Calvin needs to get his investment back, hopefully with a profit, I don't know what the 2 designers are going to get but that will also need to be figured into it too.

Calvin is well known as being fair with us - I am sure he is not price gouging, just making enough profit to make it worth his while. Remember there is also free shipping worldwide!

I wish that the copy I have had only cost $38! It was MUCH MUCH more than that - and it is an awesome puzzle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:27 pm 

Finally I'll get to have this! :)
Thanks to everyone that played a part in the release of this product.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:01 pm 

Puzzlemad wrote:
themathkid wrote:

I think that $38 is great value for a puzzle that has been designed fresh and required a full set of new molds to be mass produced! Calvin needs to get his investment back, hopefully with a profit, I don't know what the 2 designers are going to get but that will also need to be figured into it too.

Calvin is well known as being fair with us - I am sure he is not price gouging, just making enough profit to make it worth his while. Remember there is also free shipping worldwide!

I wish that the copy I have had only cost $38! It was MUCH MUCH more than that - and it is an awesome puzzle.

Calvin / Tony / Traiphum are awesome. They have to make money. Molds are expensive. Free shipping. Way cheaper than hand made or 3D printed. Blah blah blah. I get it. But the bottom line is that this is just not a good value to me. I judge a puzzle's value based estimated play time per dollar. Others may value a puzzle by different criteria [aesthetics, need to fill collection, intangible 'history' associated with puzzle], but that's them and not me. I buy a solving experience. A shape mod is simply not going to get played with as much since I already know how to solve it. Add into that a higher than expected price tag and it's just not a good deal for me. For the same $38 I could buy a more interesting solve - maybe a Dayan Gem IV or a Geranium or a Gear Octahedron.

Puzzling is not a poor man's hobby. I get that. Speedcubing might be, but twisty puzzling requires capital. It's obvious from the number of collectors here that money is not an issue for many of our most active / vocal members. The fact that you already own a non-mass produced Hexaminx almost certainly puts you in that category. Some of us, though, have to be a little more strict with our funds. And $38 for a Hexaminx just doesn't make the cut. I would've considered buying this around $25 or so. But I can't rationalize $38. Sorry. I want this puzzle. It's beautiful. But it costs too much for me to justify purchasing it.

Post subject: Calvin's Puzzle - Tony & Traiphum Pillow Hexaminx Releas
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:15 pm 

themathkid wrote:

This is not a "shapemod". A shape mod is a puzzle which has then been changed into another puzzle like my original Hexaminx. This mass produced version is 100% newly made. I would also point out that the Golden Cube started at $42 and is now worth 5 times that with many people regretting that they never took advantage of the initial low price.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:00 pm 

themathkid wrote:
Aesop wrote:
"I don't need any sour grapes" said the fox.
:wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:06 pm 

Will this puzzle, if purchased from HKnowstore, come stickered, or not? I bought a tuttminx from them a while back, and oh boy did the stickering become a pain.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:47 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
This is not a "shapemod". A shape mod is a puzzle which has then been changed into another puzzle like my original Hexaminx. This mass produced version is 100% newly made. I would also point out that the Golden Cube started at $42 and is now worth 5 times that with many people regretting that they never took advantage of the initial low price.

If you'd read my longer reply, you'd know by now that I probably wouldn't have bought a golden cube for exactly the same reasons. :-p

Konrad wrote:
Aesop wrote:
"I don't need any sour grapes" said the fox.
:wink:

I'm not sure how to be more clear. I WANT the puzzle. If you'll notice, I posted here within 90 minutes of the original post saying how excited I was that this was being mass produced. Just because this fox isn't willing / able to climb the tree doesn't mean I'm dismissing them as sour. If money weren't an issue, I'd gladly buy it. But I have be picky with which puzzles I buy. I'm BROKE. There? Is that clear enough?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:31 pm 

I was really happy to order this puzzle earlier today. I like shapemods and find cubic transformations especially appealing. I really appreciate the work that Tony, Traiphum and Calvin have put in to bring us the mass-produced Pillow Hexaminx.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:29 am 

themathkid wrote:
I'm not sure how to be more clear. I WANT the puzzle. If you'll notice, I posted here within 90 minutes of the original post saying how excited I was that this was being mass produced. Just because this fox isn't willing / able to climb the tree doesn't mean I'm dismissing them as sour. If money weren't an issue, I'd gladly buy it. But I have be picky with which puzzles I buy. I'm BROKE. There? Is that clear enough?
I understand. I have been broke before :)
Not every price is for everyone, and so even if it is a huge reduction from the hand built versions it may still be out of reach for some. But for most this will make it available to them.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:12 am 

I do to some extent agree that this is quite a high price. However I have wanted this puzzle for so long, even more so since I was lucky enough to play with Puzzlemad's Traiphum made version earlier this year, it is a wonderful puzzle, I pretty much ordered it the first chance I got. I too am one of the financially challeneged puzzlers, so I also have to be careful about what I spend my money on.

I cannot wait to solve this. While it is a shape mod (yes, I know it is mass produced Tony, but it is still essentially a mass-produced shapemod, or shape transformation of a megaminx) it is like some other shapemods that it skews your perspective to such a degree as to make it somewhat more difficult than a regular megaminx, although it will not be taking you days or weeks to wrap your head around, it is a lot of fun.

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:41 am 

martywolfman wrote:
I cannot wait to solve this. While it is a shape mod (yes, I know it is mass produced Tony, but it is still essentially a mass-produced shapemod, or shape transformation of a megaminx) it is like some other shapemods that it skews your perspective to such a degree as to make it somewhat more difficult than a regular megaminx, although it will not be taking you days or weeks to wrap your head around, it is a lot of fun.

My main reason for mentioning this is is because we seem to be drifting towards calling every mass produced puzzle like this a shape mod. It doesn't do any harm for the oldies (non newbies?) but it just complicates an already very complicated situation (with mods, custom made, 3D printed, mass produced all mixed in with KOs, legitimised, extended, fully functional etc) and someone coming into the forum is hardly going to keep up if we now start using misleading terms as well. There was already a thread where someone got confused about it and understandably. May I suggest "This is pretty much the same as a Megaminx" or even "Megaminx shape variation" as better terms in similar situations. This Pillowed Hexaminx is most definitely not a mod.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:08 am 

I am very happy this puzzle is released! I had the mini version of Greg, which is turning good, but the stickers have tendancy to go away. However, this is not so easy to solve a mini puzzle.
That's why I am very glad this puzzle comes at an affordable price, so I could play with it.
Needless to say that I have order one!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:07 am 

My opinion is that an almost 10x price reduction over the hand made mod is really a good thing! After all the interest this puzzle has risen I am not disappointed.

And I also think that Calvin is having a very busy period as he needs to dispatch all the orders he is receiving these days :lol: .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:27 pm 

NOW LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE!!! :D
I love this puzzle, really.
I think I would have preferred Tony's original flat version though...
Now everything is pillowed...
Vadim

Attachments:
Hexaminx messed up.jpg
Hexaminx messed up.jpg [ 139.28 KiB | Viewed 7433 times ]
Hexaminx messed up 1.jpg
Hexaminx messed up 1.jpg [ 179.76 KiB | Viewed 7433 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:03 am 

Suddenly I am scared to scramble mine when it gets here. Nice blue! Got me the blue as well :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:33 am 

Vadim wrote:
NOW LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE!!! :D
I love this puzzle, really.
I think I would have preferred Tony's original flat version though...
Now everything is pillowed...
Vadim

I'm so jealous of you right now. I can't wait for mine to arrive.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:50 pm 

Mine arrived today.
The quality of the puzzle itself is really good.
But I gotta say. I expected better quality stickers for suck a pricy puzzle.
Some of the stickers are dirty and the smaller stickers chip off very easily.
And the stickers are thin and a bit transparent so they become darker because they show the black plastic a little bit.
But as I said the quality of the build is very good so altogether I am happy with my purchase.

P.S. When you scramble it thoroughly it starts to look and feel more like a Megaminx :)

Last edited by pooya13 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:14 am 

My hexaminx arrived today. Oh happy day! :) I ordered the black body version. I've made an unboxing and review video. It was quite an experience for me trying to turn the thing, having never played with anything like it before. It looks to be a great puzzle, and I want to publicly thank Tony, Traiphum and Calvin for making it available to us. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:43 am 

pooya13 +1...

I have to say that this is a great puzzle with really good turning and a quality plastic feel. But the stickers are a bit thin.
Almost all the stickers are placed well and are flush so no peeling etc. but I have had to super-glue 3-4 sharp corners down.
Not a big complaint, as I may just have been unlucky, and it does not detract from or hinder the solving experience at all.

Very pleased with this puzzle. Great solving experience too. Best mass-produced puzzle to come out for some time.

Oh yeah. As Tony warned, (in his video I think), every so often this puzzle bites!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:06 am 

Mine should arrive soon !
I understand rline for the moves. I have bought the flat mini-hexaminx of Greg, and I needed time to realize how this thing turns, especially when scrambled...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:16 am 

Mine arrived today.

It´s incredible made this puzzle from a megaminx.

Congratulations Tony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:45 am 

Mine arrived on Monday.

turns unbelievably well - my best megaminx I own by far...
too bad the stickers are horrid. all the long narrow triangles are peeling like mad.

hopefully Oliver will have better stickers available soon (if not already)!

-Derek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:16 pm 

Derek Bosch wrote:
too bad the stickers are horrid. all the long narrow triangles are peeling like mad.
-Derek

Yes, unfortunately this is the only "downer" to this puzzle. It's definitely not a dealbreaker as it's such a great puzzle. But as someone else said, it would have been nice if the sticker quality had been up there. (Obviously on an unboxing video there wasn't a lot of time for stickers to start peeling, but I've noticed it more as I've played with it). And in fact, to be fair, only 1 of my stickers is peeling like that. I just assume some others might start as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:45 pm 

*stomps foot* I want my hexaminx! The thing STILL isn't here.. weehhh.. *sigh*

It's not fair, the thing getting to Great Britain a week earlier when that one got shipped DAYS later! :cry:

I am hoping it gets here by tomorrow though, that way I can work on solving the white "cross" over the weekend (knowing me the entire thing will take a week :lol: )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:25 pm 

Posted a video for my handmade hexaminx and included the mass-produced one too if you guys are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaxIw5sOY6Q

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:42 am 

Just got my hexaminx. Really impressed with how it turns and looks. It could easily be one of my new favorite puzzle if it weren't for the poor stickers. When I first took mine out of the box, it was already missing two stickers. I later found that they had fallen off and were stuck to the box.

Is there any way to order better stickers for this puzzle?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:28 pm 

I was wondering the same thing. I need to message Oliver to see if the stickers he sells for Traiphum's handmade Hexaminx will fit the Calvins version

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:23 pm 

Sorry about the poor stickering works for those the Pillow Hexaminx.
The sticker itself is PVC stickers same as the TomZ 4x4x6 cuboid, that is high quality comparing to other speed cubing stickers. The above problems are mainly due to the poor stickering works of the new staffs.
For those who need replacement stickers, feel free to contact me via email, calvinfan@hknowstore.com .
Thanks.

- from Hong Kong

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:02 pm 

Thanks Calvin, another example of your exceptional customer service. You wouldn't get from HeavyGrab or WinnersHexoidShop!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:33 pm 

Another solution for this problem:
If it has the same size stickers as Traiphum's hand made Hexaminx, than I have a template for it, and the replacement stickers are available at my sticker shop
If not, as soon as my Hexaminx arrive (I hope, within a few days) I'll prepare the template and it will be available as soon as possible.

rubikkocka@gmail.com & info@oliverstickers.com
http://oliverstickers.com/

Facebook

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:30 pm 

Thanks to Calvin's fast reaction, I have received the template of the mass produced puzzle.
it is slightly different than the hand made mod of Triaphum.

I have modified it a bit. (corrected some minor errors, and rounded the corners)
This sticker set is now available:
http://speedcubing.hu/webshop/index.php ... cts_id=493

From this image you can see the difference of the 2 sticker sets.
Probably the stickers for the hand made set fits to the mass produced one, but I recommend to buy the one mentioned above.
The first is for the mass produced one, and the second is for the hand made version.
Attachment:
Hexaminx variants.jpg
Hexaminx variants.jpg [ 384.67 KiB | Viewed 6502 times ]

rubikkocka@gmail.com & info@oliverstickers.com
http://oliverstickers.com/

Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:23 am 

In a certain configuration, one turn of my puzzle blocks, even if I am able to do the turn by doing it backward.
I have tried to "break" it, but I have to put some strength on the puzzle and after a "clap", the turn becomes possible.
This is just happen 2 or 3 times during the solve and didn't bother me so much.
Maybe something too long in the inner mechanism.

Does anyone has noted the same trouble ?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:28 am 

It could be that there are outside pieces touching each other. I have seen overlaps of 1.5mm roughly. If you happen to be holding both layers then that would seem like a block.

Also it could be that there is a layer in the back maybe that isn't aligned properly and that is why you can't move it further.

You might want to take the puzzle apart, then you will know for sure it isn't a mechanical error after all. :) It isn't hard to reassemble at all :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:30 am 

alacoume wrote:
In a certain configuration, one turn of my puzzle blocks, even if I am able to do the turn by doing it backward.
I have tried to "break" it, but I have to put some strength on the puzzle and after a "clap", the turn becomes possible.
This is just happen 2 or 3 times during the solve and didn't bother me so much.
Maybe something too long in the inner mechanism.

Does anyone has noted the same trouble ?

I haven't but I did notice the "caps" that seal some edge pieces (the ones with the tiny triangles) can sometimes stick out a tiny bit. I would look for this and push them in if they exist. Also, check all seams to see if any part is not quite together. You shouldn't need to disasemble the puzzle for either task but if it doesn't solve the problem you might have to to check each piece.
The parts seem to be well cast and there isn't the kind of burrs you find on many puzzles.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next