Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Meffert's 4x4 info please?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:53 pm 

Around a year ago, I posted a thread about a broken corner on my Meffert's Master Cube. I actually still have yet to fix the corner, and have not received any email from Meffert's about it. I was thinking of selling it or buying a V-Cube 4, but in the meantime I'm planning on replacing the piece.

I found a Rubik's 4x4 corner for $2 on Cubesmith. I heard that the Meffert's 4x4 uses basically the same mechanism as the Rubik's, and was wondering: does anyone know if the Rubik's corner would work on the Meffert's cube?

YouTube channel

Post subject: Re: Meffert's 4x4 info please?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:10 pm 

One option that you could consider is casting.
I recently lost a tiny inside piece from my v-cube 6, and instead of ordering a new piece, I learned to cast in acrylic and made my own replacement piece. It was a very rewarding experience.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:08 am 

Okay...

Casting isn't really a doable option for me here (either physically or monetarily), so I'd probably be better off just buying a 4x4 corner. Would the Rubik's corner work on the Meffert's cube?

YouTube channel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:21 pm 

Years ago I started a thread on a related topic (1982 Rubik's Revenge:Macau vs Hong Kong) but I neglected to update it with all the relevant information. I will probably go back and add more to it, but here are some findings that are relevant to the tiled Mèffert 4x4.

There were two distinct types of molds, a composite type in which each component was made of two pieces that were joined after injection molding, and a monolothic type in which each component emerged directly from the injection mold. Manufacturing started in Macau then Hong Kong, new tooling was introduced in Hong Kong and ultimately spread to Korea. That resulted in four variants of the 1982/1983 Rubik's Revenge:
  1. Macau cubes with composite parts.
  2. Hong Kong cubes with composite parts.
  3. Hong Kong cubes with monolithic parts.
  4. Korea cubes with monolithic parts.
(Edit: I had erroneously listed the Korea cube as Taiwan.)

Judging from the distribution of these variants (in 1982 and afterward), the composite molds were probably rushed into production to fill the anticipated demand for Rubik's Revenge. The monolithic types were technically superior and simpler to manufacture. The composite cubes were first to reach the market and dominated early sales, but the market crashed when the monolithic cubes finally arrived.

So what does this have to do with Mèffert's 4x4, you ask? Internally, the Mèffert tiled 4x4 is made from the same molds as the monolithic Rubik's Revenge cubes. The mold identifiers are identical, so they were undoubtedly made from the same molds. So you could repair a Mèffert tiled 4x4 using pieces from a monolithic 1982 Rubik's Revenge.

If you can find one, that is.

But it's not easy to locate such a beast, and it poses a difficult collector-conundrum. If you must use a 1982 Rubik's Revenge to repair your 4x4 you'd naturally prefer to sacrifice a second-hand, previously-used cube. Perhaps a damaged one. But previously-used cubes are mostly the inferior composite style; they won't fit well, and they'd be prone to breakage. Surviving monolithic cubes are often MIB or NRFB specimens, which a typical collector wouldn't want to sacrifice for parts. Taiwan specimens are especially scarce in any form, so their value as a collectible might exceed the value of a repaired Mèffert tiled 4x4.

Last edited by VeryWetPaint on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:40 pm 

Hmm. Is the 4x4 corner sold on Cubesmith the monolithic or composite style? The cores and edges are labeled as "old" and "new version," but the corner and centers are simply listed as "new shape." Does this mean they are the newer monolithic style?

Also, another question: is there any way to tighten the tensions on the Meffert's 4x4? Mine is a little loose and feels pretty fragile.

YouTube channel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:06 pm 

RizDub wrote:
Hmm. Is the 4x4 corner sold on Cubesmith the monolithic or composite style? The cores and edges are labeled as "old" and "new version," but the corner and centers are simply listed as "new shape." Does this mean they are the newer monolithic style?

Neither. Cubesmith sells parts from the contemporary Rubik's Revenge cubes, made after the year 2000. The 21st century cubes were manufactured in an "old version" and "new version" but both styles are incompatible with the vintage 1982 cubes.

To repair your Mèffert tiled 4x4 you'll want a corner from a 1982 Rubik's Revenge from Hong Kong, the kind I called style #3 in this old thread. Based on its attributes I've identified a likely candidate in an eBay auction: the location sticker isn't legible but it clearly has 5-lines of text (like the Hong Kong samples) and it has bright fluorescent stickers (like the monolithic cubes). I will send you a PM with a link to that auction.