Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ultimaker 3D Printer for Homemade Puzzles?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:54 pm 

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and have read a lot about the different 3d printers available and that household 3d printers aren't accurate enough for twisty puzzles. Is this true even for the Ultimaker

Here are its specs: https://shop.ultimaker.com/en/assembled ... d-um.html#
I'm primarily just learning here, but do different nozzles work for printing as well. Specifically twisty puzzles?

I know I'm really just showing my ignorance here, haha
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Ultimaker 3D Printer for Homemade Puzzles?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:26 pm 

What on earth is "theoretical resolution" supposed to mean?? Seems a bit fishy, they should report the *actual* resolution, because theoretical resolution may relate to the computer files it can handle, rather than the physical print. You should contact them to give you the actual specs in writing, especially at that price!

Edit: I have to say the YouTube videos are impressive - Wow!

Post subject: Re: Ultimaker 3D Printer for Homemade Puzzles?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:53 pm 

Owning an Ultimaker myself, I can say that it isn't great for printing twisty puzzles. It works fine for very simple designs (e.g. a 1x2x3), but it is hard to print more complex parts, mostly because support material must be printed in the same material as the model. There have recently been talks of a dual extruder upgrade that might soon be available for the Ultimaker, but I can't be sure how much it would help. That being said, I have used the printer a few times for testing individual parts. For example, before I ordered the full print of my Geary Master Pentultimate from Shapeways, I printed a few of the geared parts to see if the gears themselves would work, since I had never before tried designing a puzzle with gears. The print came out looking rather messy, but it was good enough for me to see that the parts worked. Overall, I'd say that printing puzzles on the Ultimaker isn't completely out of the question, but that the printer will not become a replacement for Shapeways any time soon.

My Shapeways shop