Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: How to solve Calvin's Puzzle-Aleh & Evgeniy 3x3x5 Cuboid
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:30 am 

Konrad and I are talking by PM, I will edit this when we have finished, but here is the photo Konrad requested for his sequence:
Attachment:
Konrad's Babyface Parity Fix.jpg
Konrad's Babyface Parity Fix.jpg [ 945.04 KiB | Viewed 961 times ]

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:29 am 

Thanks for the picture, Burgo.
I think after our PM exchange we have both a clear picture what is going on. :)
My picture should have looked like this:
It was confusing that I indicated a swap of two +-centres relative to its neighbours. It is much clearer to show the real swaps on the white face, like in my new picture.
The picture of the inner 3x3x3 shows the hidden inner 3x3x3 edge swap.
Burgo and I agree, that the hint to the Real 5x5x5 was interesting but not really necessary. (At least it was confusing for me and may be for others, because I had no clear picture what was displayed by the circle pieces.)

I'll add some text later.
For now:
1. My sequence does the job :)
2. It is really not so easy to understand why it works.

EDIT: I made a picture of the internal 3x3x3 Supercube. It is identical to Burgo's (as usual I use the Gelatinbrain style of front view / back view), just with Supercube stickers.

I still use lower case letters for the faces.
The turns Ll2 Ff2 U2 l2 U2 Ff2 Ll2 U2 effect the inner cube partially only, i.e. the lower case part l2 f2 l2 f2 l2 (translated to normal 3x3x3 notation L2 F2 L2 F2 L2) produce this result on a solved 3x3x3 Supercube.

Personally, I find that the paradigm of a 3x3x3 Supercube inside a 5x5x5 Supercube explains nicely why my sequence works. I view the pieces in the white and yellow layer as glued twins of pieces in the outer and inner layers. So, what we recognize with this mental picture is a 2-2 swap of 3x3x3 edges - one hidden - and a 2-2 swap of 5x5x5 +-centres.
I do not see the need to care too much about the hidden 3x3x3 edges swap: One is visible and mathematics tell us that there needs to be another one. :wink:

I was confused by the yellow pieces on the white face on the Real 5x5x5. (I did not understand what they are displaying.) This was the reason why I assumed that there was a misunderstanding. If anybody is interested, Burgo can explain nicely which pieces are displayed in the circles of the Real 5x5x5.

I had confused Burgo by my typo plus the misleading arrows in my X-Cube pictures

Burgo's (Ff2 Rr2)x3 does the job too: It produces 3 swaps of baby face edges on 3 different baby faces.

BTW, if the Real 5x5x5 becomes available ever in a physical form, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. And I bet, Burgo as well :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:49 am 

Maybe, I am going to say a mistake, but the solve a cross-cube is not related to the solve of a ff crazy cube ?
Is there a relation between cuboids and crazy cubes ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:54 am 

alacoume wrote:
Is there a relation between cuboids and crazy cubes ?
There is no bandaging in the 335s like on the Crazycubes, also every piece type on the babyfaces has a specific position, whereas the Crazycubes have non-specific positions for the CCs and inner edges (unless it's only the more trivial supercube version with all 0 faces).

The tricky thing in the 335 is only parity due to identical piece types, whereas the tricky thing with Crazycubes is the bandaging that separates the supercube aspects from their relative positions: Crazycubes are much harder. Of course you can make the 335 series from Crazycubes.

Also, the babyfaces on the 335 spin independently, but on the `all 0 face 333 circle cube`, all the babyface aspects are permanently fixed.

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:03 am 

ok, I see - Thanks Burgo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:03 pm 

Hi
You can assemble Extreme version or Advanced version iCube, 3*3*5, L-Cube, T-Cube, Trio-Cube
you need x-block or additional center parts (for advanced version). this ie very hard puzzles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:45 pm 

I'm a bit late to this party, but my X-Cube finally arrived today. The method I worked out seems to be different from some others that I've seen, so I'll outline it.

Originally I attempted to return it to the cuboid state by solving as a 3x3x3, solving white side first. Not sure why I did that, but I assume my brain just got lazy and did what I do on most other cuboids. Once I realized that was not working, I rotated it to where the white and yellow sides were on the left and right (this is how I held the puzzle for the rest of the solve), and solved it as a 3x3x3 until it was back in shape, ignoring the 2nd and 4th layer (I hope that makes sense).

Once all of the white and yellow edges were in place, I had to puzzle over how to get the last few edges to lie down flush, and I realized that I was looking at something very similar to how I solve my 3x5x7. I used some setup moves and some Red Bulls to get all of the remaining edges flat. Then I used the URF cuboid algs to flatten out the remaining center pieces on the 2nd and 4th layers of the L and R faces.

To finish the puzzle, I solved the white and yellow centers like the last 2 centers on a 5x5x5, then just used basic 3-cycles, and used a few basic setup moves to fix the remaining cross-cube pieces. I generally put in center-edges, then center-corners.

All in all this was more difficult than I expected it to be, but very fun. Now I can start attempting to solve my 3x3x3 Mixup cube, which also arrived today! :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:26 am 

In term of solving experience, do you recommend X-cube or Cross-cube ? Or, if I had to buy just one in that collection ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:43 am 

alacoume wrote:
In term of solving experience, do you recommend X-cube or Cross-cube ? Or, if I had to buy just one in that collection ?
If you have ever solved a Super 5x5x5, you will probably view the Cross Cube as trivial: It is the same as solving the centres on the Super 5x5x5.

Looking backwards I would vote for the X-Cube, if I would buy only one of the whole series.
It was discussed that the L-Cube is more difficult. In my opinion it is easier than the X-Cube.
I can see just two easy steps:
1. solve the inner 3x3x3 (use your preferred 3x3x3 method, do not get confused by shape shifting :wink: )
2. solve the two baby faces

The X-Cube was my first of the series and my first approach for the parity discussed above was a bit of an overkill.
The move count wasn't so bad, but the thinking was over complex. Then I found the same pretty trivial idea as rline.
Again, I vote for the X-Cube - others might disagree.

The I-Cube can be a challenge, if you have never seen a similar puzzle before.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:50 am 

I bought the:
X Cube,
The Trio,
And I had a 335.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:37 am 

Thanks guys !!
I still have a 3x3x5, made from a 3x3x4.
I didn't realise that cross-cube was similar to super 5 by 5.
So, I will take an X-cube !