Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best and Worst Brands of Puzzles
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:41 pm 

I was wondering if anyone had some insight about the best and worst brands out there for buying twisty puzzles.
I'm fairly new to solving and collecting and was wondering what brands to avoid and ones to look out for.

I personally like the Dayan sticker-less cubes, however their selection is very limited.
I purchased a 5x5x5 cube from Ebay, the brand was [removed] I believe. (I might be wrong.)
The stickers came off really easily. If it was barely touched they would just slide right off.
After having it in my backpack for a day, nearly all of the stickers wiped off and are just loose in my backpack.

Since having this experience, I prefer to have sticker-less puzzles even more now.

(Sorry if I did something wrong, this is my first post, if there's something I did incorrectly, please let me know and my apologies in advance!)

Post subject: Re: Best and Worst Brands of Puzzles
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:11 pm 

Best: Is shapeways a puzzle brand?

Worst: Chinese knockoff companies.

Check out my Shapeways shop!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:28 pm 

I find that as long as you avoid [removed] and [removed] you are golden.
Any puzzle I have played with from them is both a knock off and a disgrace. Haha.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:38 pm 

Hunter Palshook wrote:
I find that as long as you avoid [removed] and [removed] you are golden.
Any puzzle I have played with from them is both a knock off and a disgrace. Haha.

Most puzzles I can get here in Singapore is mostly knockoff. Occasionally I can find Vcubes, Dayan and witeden, but those are hard to come by.

Check out my Shapeways shop!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:34 am 

Your 5x5 was NOT [removed]. All of my [removed] puzzles have high quality stickers, unlike the [removed] ones. The best brand overall for most twisty puzzles, at least in my opinion, is Mefferts. The only problem is price. HKNowStore's Calvin's brand gives high quality puzzles for cheaper, which is probably a deciding factor.

When you're on eBay, always avoid buying the cheapest puzzle. Try to buy the one closest to your location, as a. It will come sooner and b. It will more likely to be broken in/pre-lubed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:15 am 

I find that, if you're not including shapeways and 3D printed puzzles, Mefferts has high quality puzzles that usually turn very easily straight out of the box (at least for me, that is). If they don't turn swiftly straight out of the box, then after the first lube, they turn incredibly well. The Mefferts megaminx was once the best megaminx for speed solving for a reason, as well as their 5x5. As for the worst brands, as stated before, the major KO puzzle companies would probably fall under that title, but I would also say that any puzzle brand that has puzzles built with relatively thin plastic walls would be the absolute worst.
As for stickers, most, if not all, puzzles' stickers will chip a bit if they're being carried in something like a back-pack filled with books.
All in all, I'd stick with the major, trustable puzzle companies such as mf8, calvin-puzzle, Mefferts, v-cube, Dayan, Rubik's, and [removed] for all your puzzling needs. Basically, all of the trustworthy puzzle brands can be found at hknowstore.com.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:47 am 

Best Manufactured: Meffert & Mf8
Best Custom Made: Traiphum
Worst: 1 dolar cubes that we can find at any shop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:10 am 

So this was a bit of a pain to edit, because I don't like considering a company "KO", just individual puzzles.
Of course it happens that some companies are more prone to producing KO puzzles than others, and in the context of this conversation we are talking about puzzles in general so I found it was prudent to remove a few that had more than their fair share of KO puzzles that might be referenced.

Here's how this thread can easily proceed: Don't debate the merits (good or bad) of named KO puzzles. Since KO puzzles often have a correlation (with exceptions, of course) to poor quality puzzles, that means watch out for naming them.
If you want to talk about the good/bad of non-KO puzzles, go for it (note I've left plenty of names in).

So essentially I've taken the same stance as Non KO Puzzles whitelist so you can look there for logic behind this decision. That thread never really took off, a shame.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:34 pm 

What is the point of this thread if brand's names are removed?
So far the worst big cubes brand's cubes I've got, apart from 7x7x7 cube are by V-cube (will be removed anyway...)
The best ones are by [removed], MF8 and Dayan
Vadim
[Moderator]I don't know which big cubes made by MF8 and Dayan you are referring to. MF8 and Dayan have made made good puzzles and are not in the KO business. On the contrary the name that got removed. Please, be careful not to cross a borderline. Your comment makes it clear that you were very well aware of this borderline!!![/Moderator]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:07 am 

Vadim wrote:
What is the point of this thread if brand's names are removed?
I agree there isn't much of a point to it but, with these edits, there is no real call to lock it either.
Continued posts that require editing may change this, of course.

If the best or worst puzzles (in the subjective view of the poster) are not KO, then there is value in sharing that information. If not, this post will fade away.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:08 pm 

Some of the best made puzzles I have are Meffert's puzzles.

Some of the worst made puzzles I have are Meffert's puzzles.

In other words, it is hard to say that you can't go wrong with one puzzle maker or another.

If you are interested in a puzzle, look for reviews on YouTube or comments about it in the forum.

Post subject: Best and Worst Brands of Puzzles
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:26 am 

Of course I can only speak to the puzzles that I own, but I REALLY like Dayan for 3x3 (I have the Guhoung and the Zhanchi). The Shengshou Pyraminx is good. I tried the Dayan+MF8 4x4, and it was just rubbish.

I've only owned 1 QJ puzzle (3x3x2) which fell apart irreparably during the first solve.

My advice: look for reviews on the specific kind of puzzle you want. Robertpauljr mentioned this, but I have to second it! Look around on YouTube!

As for stickers, I've been using The Cubible, and haven't had any problems so far.

-Nic