Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Second mod: evil twins cube
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:56 am 

I just finished making my very first Evil Twins cube. It is for Martywolfman and I sure hope he likes it!

I used this tutorial to make the cube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ki9XR7ttI

One cubie (blue/orange) is not sitting to my liking but psh. This is looking good enough, so I wager it'll be satisfactory. The innards after sanding are looking gray instead of black though, maybe that can be sorted with a black marker, but I am not touching the thing again to modify stuff. Martywolfman can do that if he so wishes.

First off I made a fused cube to start out with. You cannot see it in this picture but one core has a special message written on it and the date that I started on this cube.
Attachment:
fusedprogress1.jpg
fusedprogress1.jpg [ 29.34 KiB | Viewed 994 times ]

Proceeding to remove the stickers that weren't needed and marking the pieces where they needed to be extended. I love Tipp-Ex now :lol:
Attachment:
fusedprogress3.jpg
fusedprogress3.jpg [ 35.31 KiB | Viewed 994 times ]

Let's add all the pieces in their correct spots to make sure I have the correct ones before I start chopping.
Attachment:
fusedprogress4.jpg
fusedprogress4.jpg [ 45.78 KiB | Viewed 994 times ]

Next steps is filling up the cubies, I used silicone, not quite to the top, and then finished things off with milliput which I later sanded.
Attachment:
fusedprogress5.jpg
fusedprogress5.jpg [ 36.54 KiB | Viewed 994 times ]
Attachment:
fusedprogress7.jpg
fusedprogress7.jpg [ 19.1 KiB | Viewed 994 times ]

Just four more pieces left to glue in.
Attachment:
fusedprogress8.jpg
fusedprogress8.jpg [ 33.12 KiB | Viewed 994 times ]

And all done! I measured it just now and it is a 75mm cube. The single cube I started with weighs 86g, this Evil Twins racks up a total of 241g.
Attachment:
fusedprogress9.jpg
fusedprogress9.jpg [ 44.96 KiB | Viewed 994 times ]

Needless to say when you turn this puzzle it makes for some cool movement. :mrgreen:
Attachment:
fusedprogress11large.jpg
fusedprogress11large.jpg [ 90.76 KiB | Viewed 994 times ]

Thanks for watching :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Second mod: evil twins cube
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:03 am 

Well done! :D
My cudos to your second mod.

What is the material of the stickers? They look nice!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:17 am 

The stickers are some sort of vinyl stickers. I have wiped them off quite a few times and it didn't hurt them, so I wager vinyl they are. They came with the cubes though, so I cannot provide a brand or anything.

Thanks for the compliments! :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:21 am 

That's a great mod and well executed. I like the idea of using silicone to fill the cubies as it will be lighter. Do you let the silicone set before adding the Milliput? What glue are you using?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:16 am 

Thank you!

I let the silicone dry and set for 24 hours so that was fully hardened before starting on the next stage. If you were to put milliput on top when it is still soft the silicone will seep through as you're pushing on it to make a smooth surface. When the silicone is dry it also provides a firm hold as the surface isn't smooth and the milliput can creep in the crevices. The theory was proven nicely today as I accidentally let one of the cubies drop from at least 3 feet high and there was nothing wrong with it :)

As for glue I simply use super glue. Any glue that dries slower can make the pieces shift. Applying a thin coat to one of the centers using a toothpick when I was making the fused cube, and applying five tiny drops in a dice pattern on the spot the extension was to be glued to was enough.

I did use slight turns of the cube faces to make sure that the cubie I was putting in would line up perfectly. I could use the "barrier" it created for the best placement, and I never had to glue a cubie on without guidance that way :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:03 am 

Nice tidy mod :)
I also like your use of silicone as a filler, I often glue in a couple of offcuts of plastic sheet as a filler first to keep the weight down, topped off with a few millimeters of milliput the same way.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:57 am 

I don't have plastic sheet yet, wouldn't even know where to get it here anyway or what kind or.. what have you haha. I needed something to save on using expensive Milliput and that silicone was cheap, nicely adhesive and putting the spout in all the way at the bottom made for a good even fill up :)