Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 12-color Alexander's Star
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:46 pm 

Hi, I took a perfectly good 6-color Alexander's Star and made a sticker mod, which I've been wanting to do for a LONG time!

Taking the 30 year old original stickers off the puzzle was really tough! Man, did they use some excellent adhesive back in 1982 :shock: . Luckily some Goo Gone did the trick.

Stickers are from Oliver's shop; you'll notice I didn't use the 12 colors he suggested in his 12-color set. I wanted to copy the mf8 color scheme. I subbed the brown color for a lighter yellow. One thing I really liked about the die cut on Oliver's stickers is that he rounded off the pointy corners of the acute angles. Those of you who have well-worn Alexander's Stars know how those little pointy corners peel up.

Boy did it come out nice. I would have preferred an even lighter yellow and got a bit of a brighter orange than I wanted, otherwise it's very nice!

I tried to make a video but I'm really bad at videos and didn't have a script ready so I just showed all the sides without saying anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APKpNdLbNr0

I lubed the puzzle with some silicone spray and it turns easy. There's one part in the video where you can see me turning it with one finger so you can tell how easy it is to move.

The solve is the same as a regular Alexander's Star except you don't get the "parity" error that you sometimes get on 6-colored dodecahedron puzzles. EDIT: See below; you do get the parity error. How to solve this one?

Here are some pics. I didn't show all 12 sides but those of you familiar with the mf8 color scheme ought to be able to figure out the rest.

Last edited by rplass on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 12-color Alexander's Star
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:35 am 

Really nice! 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:11 am 

That looks great! It is amazing how stickers can transform a puzzle.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:19 pm 

Well in this case the transformation was quite startling. When I said "perfectly good" Alexander's Star I ought to have said "intact mechanism" because the original stickers on it were horrid. I should have taken a pic of how awful it looked as a "before" picture! I went out of my way to buy the worst stickered puzzle I could find, saved a few bucks off the price I think. :)

OH AND I WAS WRONG

You do get the parity error on this version, same as with the 6 color version.
Since the fix I usually would use (swapping out one piece for the same colored piece) won't work, I need to find out how to swap the adjacent edges.

EDIT: There isn't a way to swap adjacent edges. But I figured out how to fix the parity error. It's the same problem as the one Kevin had on this thread: http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25285 . I hadn't followed the mf8 color scheme exactly and ended up with an unsolvable state. Fascinating!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:56 pm 

Wow, I just did this exact same sticker mod! :lol:
I too followed the Mf8 dodecahedron color scheme, only difference is I got my stickers from Cubesmith.
Attachment:
20130805_233825[1].jpg
20130805_233825[1].jpg [ 1.6 MiB | Viewed 729 times ]

I also ordered enough stickers to resticker my other Alexander's Star in the classic six color scheme, but I haven't gotten around to putting myself through the arduous task of removing the adhesive a second time! :roll:
Attachment:
20130805_233849[1].jpg
20130805_233849[1].jpg [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 729 times ]

I'm hoping to find yet a third one on Ebay and do a 20 color scheme! Complete the set. 8-)
Oh, and this is my first post on the forum!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:52 am 

I'll be doing a 20 color star now too just to keep up with you! I have another one around here somehwere....

Those cubesmith stickers you used look great. I declined them for the pointy corners. Could you get more images up so we can see the remainder of the mf8 color scheme?

Oh and the Goo Gone is the way to go. I peeled the stickers off by hand, did a bit of scraping with a metal razor blade, and let Goo Gone do the rest.