Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: WitEden & Oskar Mixup Cubes
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:50 am 

Video of the unboxing, follow up and some demonstration solves. There are links in the description to skip to each part.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:30 am 

To welcome OSKAR to GuangZhou at 2013-7-26~29

We have produced 100pcs of 3x3x3 Mixup cube for Souvenir

all by OSKAR personally hand signed and numbered on!

video:http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=WDV7fl3zRas

on market at http://www.witeden.com/goods.php?id=499

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:43 pm 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Good to see these big hitters in the puzzle world together!

Can you tell us Mr Witeden when you will supply the full set of mixup cubes to Calvin?

At the moment he is only able to sell 2 of the 4 puzzles in the series and most of us like to buy our puzzles from him because he can accept PayPal and we have learned over a long time to trust dealings with him.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:58 pm 

Puzzlemad wrote:
we have learned over a long time to trust dealings with him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Beautifully and diplomatically put, Kevin!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:01 pm 

While solving my 3x3 mixup today, an edge piece fell off and a tiny square piece fell out. I have no idea where this small piece goes and I'm afraid to use the puzzle until I put it back. Any help?

http://i.imgur.com/KqlDnMA.jpg?1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:27 am 

I've had a good look at my mixup and I can't see that square piece at all! I think that it's from a completely different puzzle and got stuck inside the edge piece when it was being assembled, which is why it popped out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:39 am 

Gus wrote:
I've had a good look at my mixup and I can't see that square piece at all! I think that it's from a completely different puzzle and got stuck inside the edge piece when it was being assembled, which is why it popped out.

I think you may be right. I quite nearly disassembled the entire puzzle, and not piece of its likeness has been found!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:35 am 

It's one center cap of a 4x4x4 mixup cube

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:52 pm 

Well thats odd, considering I only have the 3x3. Oh well, I hope this was an extra piece and not missing from someone else's cube!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:05 pm 

Well, I put in an order for some puzzles for the first time in forever, and the standard Mixup Cube was one of them. I can't wait to get my hands on it! It's really quite the event, I think, that it's finally been mass-produced after decades.

...I wish I could get some rhombicuboctahedral shape mods of it, though - I've been thinking about sticker mods that would use the shape well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:18 pm 

I was dumb enough to take one of the center/edges out and now I can't get it back in without taking four pairs of the inner hidden edges out. It still works without them, but does anyone have any pointers on how to put it back together with them in? I thought about gluing the pairs together to make them easier to work with. I believe they're split for the 4x4 and don't need to be split for the 3x3 to function.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:14 am 

BN wrote:
I was dumb enough to take one of the center/edges out and now I can't get it back in without taking four pairs of the inner hidden edges out. It still works without them, but does anyone have any pointers on how to put it back together with them in? I thought about gluing the pairs together to make them easier to work with. I believe they're split for the 4x4 and don't need to be split for the 3x3 to function.

The screw loosen enough,so it is easier to get the inner hidden edges back !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:24 am 

My 4x4x4 mixup cube arrived today. I've made an unboxing and review. I always try and be as positive as I can about puzzles. I found it was a little difficult to do with this one. I finished the review by saying it was still worth getting, but it may seem like i was oscillating. It's a fine line between wanting to promote a puzzle and wanting to be genuine to my (valued) viewers. Having played with it a bit more after the video, I think it will improve. At the end of the day, it's called an unboxing and review. I did both of those things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:01 pm 

Rline: I really like your videos, but your last one about the mix-up 4x4.. I just don't get why you were so negative through all the video. I personally have the mixup 4x4 and I consider to turn very good and pleasant, it's not like a zanchi but for the complexity of the puzzle it's more that great, recently tony fisher made a topic talking about people wanting all puzzles to be speed cubes and I don't get why you complained about so much little things that I didn't notice until you made the video.. I gess I got mad for that, but overall it performs very good for me.
Btw: i am waiting your tutorial :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:09 pm 

Eliasthecollector93 wrote:
Rline: I really like your videos, but your last one about the mix-up 4x4.. I just don't get why you were so negative through all the video.

Well actually, I wasn't negative through all the video at all. It was a very balanced assessment. I even finished telling people it was worth buying (! :shock: ) But when I was negative, it was because it turned so poorly on the outer layers. Wasn't that incredibly obvious watching the video? :?

And actually, look at it this way. If I had just been totally positive after the turning and catching I experienced in the video, and said "This is a superb puzzle. Love it!" don't you think people would have seen that I clearly wasn't telling the truth? How would that have been an honest review?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:31 pm 

Don't worry Rline, it was right to say it the way you did. I have experienced the same with mine, it's just a little flaw of this puzzle not to much of a problem.

@Eliasthecollector93: Puzzles can be very different , you might be lucky. My 4x4x4 mixup also has only problems on one or two faces. You can't make a review without telling about the negative things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:14 pm 

Ok, I didn't know that two puzzles could perform different out of the box, to me I don't make much sence, if the pieces are the same and they are assembled right... it must be the tensioning.
Rline, as I said I really like your videos, keep them up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:25 am 

It can be tensioning, it can be very minor variations in the pieces as the come out of the molds (no two pieces are going to be exactly identical down to the nanometer) there could be a piece of flashing left over on one piece, that doesn't appear on another, there are any number of reasons why one is better than another.

Latest videos: Unboxing / Review of Curvy copter Plus, David Gear Cube, Octo-star Cube

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:37 am 

Yeah, as I posted over on the review, my 4x4x4 turned quite well out of the box, but my 3x3x3 didn't. The internals of this puzzle involve a lot of small spacer pieces, which means that things can be rickety when they all have to work together.

But right now, I'm having fun with them by swapping all the edges between them. Now I can do the 3x3x3 on my smoother 4x4x4 core (the 4x4 centers being locked in by the bandaging 3x3 edges), and having solved the Split Edge 3x3x3 Mixup a couple times now, I can say that it is quite the fun little puzzle (pairing the edges up involves moves that affect 2/3 of the edge pieces). Swapping the edges was fairly easy... just turn a middle slice 45°, grab the puzzle firmly in one hand and the exposed sides of an edge in the other and gently work the edge off the platform it's mounted on (be careful not to pull out the platform, reassembling the internals is tricky).