Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: IPP33
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:47 am 

Information regarding the 33rd Puzzle Design Competition can be found here.

Entries shall be made before June 15, 2013.

Post subject: Re: IPP33
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:14 am 

Is anyone already planning to attend the competition?

I'm planning to send in my MazeRoll. So people invited for the IPP will probably get a chance to try it out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:49 am 

I won't be able to make it this year. If I can get my act together, I will try to come up with a new concept of a puzzle. I have some ideas, but don't think I can make it look elegant enough for the competition.

-d

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:23 pm 

I am busy making something, dont know if it will be ready in time. If I had a laser cutter it would be easier...

http://1002-puzzles.blogspot.be/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:53 pm 

I'm going to have at least one puzzle in the design competition. The one that's already done isn't twisty, we'll see whether I manage to finish any others.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:27 am 

I will attend but have no puzzle to submit. I want to participate in the exchange again, but haven't had any time to pursue the right puzzle. Bram had a nice 3D packing puzzle idea that would be great if I could ever get around to playing with injection molding...

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:42 am 

If anyone is interested in using my '1-More Puzzle - Triangle' (Design Competition 2011) as an exchange puzzle, please contact me, the puzzle can easily be made by laser cutting. I would be very happy to see my puzzle produced in a larger quantity, and entered in many puzzle collections. :D

http://1002-puzzles.blogspot.be/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:54 am 

I will have one puzzle at the competition this year which is completely different
from anything I had ever shown until now. And no, it is not even the Acropolis
or related to "Alien Tech"! Some people saw it in Germany, and I loved their reactions. :lol:

And Dave, nice to know that you will be attending, see you there!

8-)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:37 pm 

I didn't get a design finished in time for the design competition but it should be ready for next year. And this is the first year I'm eligible to participate in the exchange but until I find simpler puzzles to make or a more affordable way to make them I will have to sit this one out. I have however started stickering my newest batch of Bubbloid122 puzzles to take with me.

Carl

P.S. I looked for an IPP33 thread so I hope this bump is ok. I didn't want to start another IPP33 thread if we already had one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:03 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
P.S. I looked for an IPP33 thread so I hope this bump is ok. I didn't want to start another IPP33 thread if we already had one.

I'm totally fine with it. This thread is already way too quiet for such a great event :?

Great to hear that you're actually taking part at the party. Have puzzle fun!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:14 pm 

Carl, you'll just have to shrink down your puzzles, and/or work with molds and get started now for next year.

I should really get my act together and come up with a puzzle for the exchange and the design competition. My problem is I'll think of a great original idea, then look into it more and find that it's been done :(

-d

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:48 pm 

I won't be attending IPP33, but I did manage to get the maximum of 3 puzzles entered this year. None of mine are twisties though, basically all of those are disqualified because they're all collaborations with Oskar, who's a judge. There's a twisty (or maybe I should say 'twisty') I'm working on now which may be entered in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:37 pm 

Bram wrote:
...but I did manage to get the maximum of 3 puzzles entered this year.
And my exchange puzzle this year is again a collaboration with Bram, so he is well represented even if not present :)

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:51 pm 

It's that time again. I'm off and blogging. Follow the antics at http://ipp30.blogspot.com/2013/07/puzzl ... eorge.html day 1 of the next two weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:50 pm 

katsmom wrote:
It's that time again. I'm off and blogging. Follow the antics at http://ipp30.blogspot.com/2013/07/puzzl ... eorge.html day 1 of the next two weeks.

Awesome, keep them coming! It's great to see some of the mold process. Is the photo of an injection machine? It almost looks like a milling machine. Is the machine only for doing prototypes? It doesn't look like it can scale to the production levels needed. Is it one of many?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:08 am 

bmenrigh wrote:
Awesome, keep them coming! It's great to see some of the mold process. Is the photo of an injection machine? It almost looks like a milling machine. Is the machine only for doing prototypes? It doesn't look like it can scale to the production levels needed. Is it one of many?

That's making a tool or die, which will later be used for injection molding or die casting. You guessed rightly, the metal is being milled to make the die. The brown fluid is a stream of oil that serves a dual purpose of cooling the cutter and washing away the metal shavings.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:15 am 

Bravo! Thanks bud!
Posting from phone with fat fingers and in a factory now. Will blog again tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:24 am 

Day 2 is up but china mobile doesn't like me tonight. I can't get a link. As always, ill post more photos when I return to HK in a week. Will post day 3 sometime mid-evening tomorrow. It's going to be a smash up boys and toys complete with karaoke tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:53 am 

katsmom wrote:
Day 2 is up but china mobile doesn't like me tonight. I can't get a link. As always, ill post more photos when I return to HK in a week. Will post day 3 sometime mid-evening tomorrow. It's going to be a smash up boys and toys complete with karaoke tomorrow!

Here's the link to Day 2.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:41 am 

Day 3 part 1 has been loaded.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:39 am 

:roll: the boys left me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:59 pm 

katsmom wrote:
:roll: the boys left me.

Where they go, you will follow...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:50 pm 

Well, let the Games begin (not at the IPP yet, there is an event today here in Tokyo... photos soon!)

:mrgreen:

Pantazis

PS. My own puzzle got strangely rejected, but it's ok. I know that everyone who played with it enjoyed
its unique nature (secret box with folding plates), and that is what really counts in this world, isn't it? 8-)

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:57 pm 

Well, as promised, here are some photos of the Hanayama Cast Puzzle Event, where they
celebrated thirty years. There was a speedsolving competition and a lot of fun.

Attachment:
Hanayama_01.jpg
Hanayama_01.jpg [ 213.32 KiB | Viewed 4822 times ]

Meeting Teddy Sakamoto too many times is never enough! (last time was in February)

Attachment:
Hanayama_02.jpg
Hanayama_02.jpg [ 333.89 KiB | Viewed 4822 times ]

The beginning of the competition...

Attachment:
Hanayama_03.jpg
Hanayama_03.jpg [ 310.37 KiB | Viewed 4822 times ]

Being on Kastellorizo island with only 3-4 cast puzzles to practice, is not ideal. However,
my rusty skills allowed me to finish 10th from a group of 16 (most were from Japanese MENSA).
Had they used Cast Laby, Cast Gear, or Cast Medal, things would be very different! ;)
In any case, I am a well known slow-solver, and the main thing is to always have fun!

Attachment:
Hanayama_04.jpg
Hanayama_04.jpg [ 216.53 KiB | Viewed 4822 times ]

The new puzzle which was used in the Final, Cast Cylinder!

Attachment:
Hanayama_05.jpg
Hanayama_05.jpg [ 715.55 KiB | Viewed 4822 times ]

In one piece, and in... five pieces! Well done to Vesa Timonen for designing it, I loved it!!!

Attachment:
Hanayama_06.jpg
Hanayama_06.jpg [ 357.62 KiB | Viewed 4822 times ]

A fine photo with all the competitors. Brian and Marcus did exceptionally well. In fact,
Brian could have won it as he was leading for a while in the final. In the end we got as a prize
collectable golden plated competition versions of the Cast Cylinder. Domo Arigato Hanayama! :)

Attachment:
Hanayama_07.jpg
Hanayama_07.jpg [ 425.88 KiB | Viewed 4822 times ]

The winner with his trophy, cool guy I need to say! (he also solved the Kastellorizo puzzle LOL)

Attachment:
Hanayama_08.jpg
Hanayama_08.jpg [ 474.62 KiB | Viewed 4822 times ]

Well... what do you when you are at the Hanayama Head Office? What? ;)

Attachment:
Hanayama_09.jpg
Hanayama_09.jpg [ 497.48 KiB | Viewed 4822 times ]

Well... there are more cute things there too. After all, we are in Japan!

Attachment:
Hanayama_10.jpg
Hanayama_10.jpg [ 393.91 KiB | Viewed 4822 times ]

A Japanese building that we found during our 10km(!) walk back to the hotel, which looked like the Cast Cylinder.

:)

Pantazis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:24 pm 

DLitwin wrote:
I will attend but have no puzzle to submit.

Same here. See y'all there. Roxanne is already posting about day 3, and it hasn't even started yet? Neat trick.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:02 pm 

What a great idea to speed solve the Hanayama puzzles! I would probably be the slowest one there even if I knew how to solve them. Even the easy ones take me a while to get everything lined up and what not. Some of them help to have an extra set of hands also.

Have fun at the IPP everyone who's going!

-d

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:46 am 

All the 60 puzzle entries of IPP33 can be found here:

IPP33 puzzle list

It's probably not interesting :mrgreen: as I see no twisty listed.
But there are a few puzzles present (like the Phantom Fish) that were presented in this forum.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:34 am 

A little update from Beijing. I am also attending IPP33, but my (and my parents') route is a little unusual and involves the trans-Siberian railroad :) We flew in from Amsterdam to Moscow (via Vienna) where we spent 3 days sightseeing. We then got on the train to Irkutsk (4000km away), a journey which took about 3 days. The trains have quite comfortable 4 person compartments and boiling water is readily available from a "samovar". Our diet involved pot noodles and a lot of instant coffee. The train also had a restaurant car but we seemed to be the only ones to frequent it. The small selection of Russian dishes mostly involve garlic, lemon juice or vinegar and lots of dill.
From Irkutsk we had a transfer to nearby Listvianka, a small village near Lake Baikal (deepest lake in the world) where we spent one day sleeping off our train-lag. The next day we spent sightseeing in Irkutsk before beginning the next leg of our journey, from Irkutsk to Beijing (1600km,). The border crossing took a total of 11 hours(!), 7 hours on the Russian side and a further 6 in China. Due to this the journey took another 3 days. This time the carriage was slightly more modern and we had the luxury of sharing our carriage with the main conductor who was only slightly racist: the carriage was half-empty and we had to lock down the toilets after use because he did not like Chinese people. Of course I don't approve of this but near the end of the journey we had 3 carriage attendants and 4 passengers in our carriage so we got quite close.
We have just finished a 3-day guided tour of Beijing and the Great Wall and tomorrow morning we will take the train to Hong Kong (which for the next 24 hours, is still "a province of China"). This is another 2400km lap but it will only take 8 hours as we are taking the newly-opened high-speed railroad. We will spend a couple of days in Hong Kong before flying off to Tokyo and IPP33. I look forward to seeing you all there!

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:32 am 

Wow Tom, that is an amazing journey, I am very jealous :x I hope that some time you can post pictures of this and of IPP33.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:40 am 

The rest of day 3 in china is now posted. The usual blogspot. Tomorrow is Disney for bug and I. Today we said hello to Jerry and Brian and a few more and hit the bed early. Tomorrow I go to my happy place :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:33 am 

All,

I'm still packing for my trip to IPP. I have quite a few puzzles I'll be taking with me and I have even more stickers. So the plan is to offer FREE stickers to anyone that orders one of my puzzles off Shapeways for the next 8 days. If you are going to IPP, just show me proof of your order and I'll hand you the stickers for it. If you aren't going to IPP, PM me with your proof and give me an address and I'll get the stickers mailed to you after I get back from IPP.

Offer good for any puzzle purchased from today (July 29) through next Monday (August 5) in honor of IPP33.

Thanks,
Carl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:45 am 

Gus wrote:
Wow Tom, that is an amazing journey, I am very jealous :x I hope that some time you can post pictures of this and of IPP33.
SECONDED!!! I've watched hour long TV programs about trips which don't sound half as interesting. I hope you find a way to post as much as you can.

Looking forward to seeing you soon...
Carl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:22 pm 

Splinter wrote:
All the 60 puzzle entries of IPP33 can be found here:

IPP33 puzzle list

It's probably not interesting :mrgreen: as I see no twisty listed.
Arg!!!! I just took a few minutes to go through the list myself. Yes I'm shocked that I don't see a single traditional twisty puzzle. Seeing as I'm partly to blaim for that as I didn't get an entry in this year I'll be sure to fix that for next year.

Granted this is only my second IPP but is it typical for these entries to be devoid of twisty puzzles? I got the sense at the last IPP that there are many there that don't care too much for twisties so I think its unlikely to see one win the competition but I think its an honor just to compete.

I think all past competition are still on line. I should go back and see just how many twisty puzzles have been entered over the years.

Carl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:32 pm 

I have a question regarding one of the entries in the Puzzle Design Competition. The puzzle is called RevolvIQa. I was under impression that the entries must be relatively new puzzles, but this particular puzzle is not. The puzzle was invented in the Soviet Union by Pavel Mantashyan, and there's the patent for it registered on Feb 23, 1985: SU1140809. This is actually one of the series of similar puzzles. The puzzle was also pictured and discussed in the book "Mathematical puzzles" by V.Dubrovsky and A.Kalinin, published in the USSR in 1990. In the book this puzzle is called "Cauliflower". Please see the pictures below.

Attachments:
Patent.jpg
Patent.jpg [ 676.2 KiB | Viewed 4566 times ]
RevolvIQa.jpg
RevolvIQa.jpg [ 49.15 KiB | Viewed 4566 times ]
Book_Excerpt_02.jpg
Book_Excerpt_02.jpg [ 260.13 KiB | Viewed 4566 times ]
Book_Excerpt_01.jpg
Book_Excerpt_01.jpg [ 236.2 KiB | Viewed 4566 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:39 pm 

Aleksey wrote:
I have a question regarding one of the entries in the Puzzle Design Competition. The puzzle is called RevolvIQa. I was under impression that the entries must be relatively new puzzles, but this particular puzzle is not. The puzzle was invented in the Soviet Union by Pavel Mantashyan, and there's the patent for it registered on Feb 23, 1985: <SNIP>. This is actually one of the series of similar puzzles. The puzzle was also pictured and discussed in the book "Mathematical puzzles" by V.Dubrovsky and A.Kalinin, published in the USSR in 1990. In the book this puzzle is called "Cauliflower". Please see the pictures below.

The puzzle may be older if it hasn't been presented in public or something like that. You may want to show this to Oskar as he is a judge and would know more.

-d

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:39 pm 

The last part of the China trip is now on my blog. It's not nearly as interesting as Tom's trip though. Be warned.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:20 pm 

darryl wrote:
The puzzle may be older if it hasn't been presented in public or something like that. You may want to show this to Oskar as he is a judge and would know more.

Shouldn't it be the inventor of the puzzle then? I may be wrong, but somehow I don't think it's the inventor of this puzzle who entered it in the competition.

I think Oscar will see this in this topic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:45 am 

Is anyone (going to IPP) available to be my exchange assistant? I can do it on my own but it's much nicer with a bit of help.
Of course my assistant gets a copy of my exchange puzzle, another 2D packing collaboration with Bram.

PM me if you have interest,

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:09 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
Offer good for any puzzle purchased from today (July 29) through next Monday (August 5) in honor of IPP33.
I'm boarding a plane in about 5 minutes. I reduced some prices on my Shapeways shop last night and I just got an email from Shapeways that they are having a 10% off sale on White Strong & Flexible through coincidentally through August 5th. Just use promo code rah1v and I really appreciate them helping with my IPP33 sale. I guess they liked my idea. So that is now free stickers and 10% off.

Enjoy everyone,
Carl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:32 am 

Part of the IPP33 notifications, was the Tokyo Puzzle Party, which was hosted at
the Taito Designer's Block. Not easy to find, but quite interesting. It hosted around
seven puzzle-related companies which had puzzle booths. Torito, Tribox, Nicoli, were
some to mention. I ended up with six neat puzzles/tricks/spinners.

There were puzzles like the Petaminx, the Geranium, Gear Octahedron, while there
were children being taught how to speedsolve.

I will let the photos do the rest of the talking. :)

Attachment:
Cimg7653.jpg
Cimg7653.jpg [ 389.69 KiB | Viewed 4262 times ]

Attachment:
CIMG7641.JPG
CIMG7641.JPG [ 841.94 KiB | Viewed 4262 times ]

Attachment:
CIMG7642.JPG
CIMG7642.JPG [ 910.09 KiB | Viewed 4262 times ]

Attachment:
Cimg7645.jpg
Cimg7645.jpg [ 312.81 KiB | Viewed 4262 times ]

Attachment:
CIMG7647.JPG
CIMG7647.JPG [ 860.18 KiB | Viewed 4262 times ]

Pantazis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:04 pm 

DLitwin wrote:
Is anyone (going to IPP) available to be my exchange assistant?
Assistant found!

See you guys (and gal) soon. It's time to finish up those exchange puzzles, they are all in pieces waiting to be assembled!

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:09 pm 

A picture from last night... flying out tomorrow morning (6am something) to Tokyo!

Attachments:
P1060075_stitch3.jpg
P1060075_stitch3.jpg [ 1.53 MiB | Viewed 4208 times ]

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:15 am 

The design competition room is open. Dave is here. And that is here. Oscar, Andreas, Scott, lots of others. I wish I knew how to load photos. Will blog when I find time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:12 pm 

Thursdays trip is up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:32 pm 

And Friday is on the blog.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:21 pm 

Thanks Rox.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:41 am 

Posting this a day before the results of 2013-
Looking at the 2012 results ( http://www.johnrausch.com/designcompeti ... esults.htm ) as well as other years the award system seems rather strange to me and I believe it should take a more simplified and logical form. I think they should have a gold, silver and bronze system with 50% of votes from the jury and 50% from the "puzzlers" then there is a clear winner and runner ups. With the current system there doesn't seem to be a clear winner. I mean how can there be two grand jury prizes and two jury first prizes? Yes I have read the explanation (see below) but it makes little sense in terms of what puzzle actually wins or comes second and third.

Puzzlers' Award: Each registered Puzzle Party attendee may select his or her top five puzzles, based on personal preference or the suggested voting criteria. .
Jury Prize voting: Each judge will select 5-7 puzzles from the pool of entries that they feel distinguish themselves from the other puzzles in the competition. Then the judges decide as a group what awards to give and which puzzles shall receive them."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:37 am 

Day 2 is on the blog. Or at least part of it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:58 am 

thanks for the updates, Rox! not quite like being there, but fun to follow along!
Good luck to all the design competition entrants!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:14 am 

Spotted yours Derek still waiting for the puzzle