Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Utmost Definitive Ultimate Shape shifter! 6x8x10!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:12 am 

Okay, Okay, We have had many last ultimate shapeshifters. I am done now though. (yeah I know). In all honesty though, they only get better! I created this one out of my interest to just go big or go home. I wanted a puzzle larger than my 8x8x8, and what better way to do it than to create one myself! I won't go larger though. My wallet, time it takes, and stability, just won't let me.

To my surprise, the puzzle turns VERY well. Much better than I expected. I guess after designing a few, I can do them pretty well now.

Buy here
Stickers Thank you Oliver :)
Hardware
Video

Size: 126x106x86 mm
weight: 434 g
Note to Andreas: I will have some white background photos for you soon. :) Did not get around to it today.

Attachment:
6x8x10 1.jpg
6x8x10 1.jpg [ 1.26 MiB | Viewed 4604 times ]

Attachment:
6x8x10 2.jpg
6x8x10 2.jpg [ 1.47 MiB | Viewed 4604 times ]

Attachment:
6x8x10 3.jpg
6x8x10 3.jpg [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 4604 times ]

Attachment:
6x8x10 4.jpg
6x8x10 4.jpg [ 989.63 KiB | Viewed 4604 times ]

Attachment:
6x8x10 5.jpg
6x8x10 5.jpg [ 1.26 MiB | Viewed 4604 times ]

Attachment:
6x8x10 6.jpg
6x8x10 6.jpg [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 4604 times ]

Attachment:
6x8x10 7.jpg
6x8x10 7.jpg [ 1.28 MiB | Viewed 4604 times ]

Last edited by Jerm on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The Utmost Definitive Ultimate Shapeshifter
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:27 am 

Just astonishing :shock:

Post subject: Re: The Utmost Definitive Ultimate Shapeshifter
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:28 am 

Well the title is certainly appropriate this time! :shock:

Post subject: Re: The Utmost Definitive Ultimate Shape shifter! 6x8x10!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:15 am 

Holy crap on a stick. With bells on. :lol:

Absolutely astonishing and astounding. I saw the title of this topic and could barely believe my eyes, so I re-read it just to make sure.

It appears to turn great too! absolutely incredible. I am completely blown away. Incredible work.

Latest videos: Unboxing / Review of Curvy copter Plus, David Gear Cube, Octo-star Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:27 am 

Oh wow.. whoosh that thing goes.. man.. :shock: Awesome work.

I so need me a sack of money, I would totally buy that then! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:12 am 

Hold on a minute, if the mechanism you used is the V mech, then technically you made a 7x9x11 and hid the middle rows. Wow!

Check out my Shapeways shop!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:17 am 

But.. how far up does that mech go then?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:09 am 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
But.. how far up does that mech go then?

Well the Vcube patent stops at 11x11x11 so we can assume that that is the limit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:57 am 

Amazing work, I bet that CrazyBad has already ordered one. If finances weren't a problem, could this mech go to a 7x9x11?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:49 am 

Crazybad is saving up money for one :)

I also didn't think of the fact it is a 7x9x11 inside! maybe this isn't the last! For now though, it is. At least until I sell enough to make my money back, or someone funds my prototype of it!

It is similar to a V-mech, but the V-mech is just too simple for this puzzle it would not be so stable. I added many stability supports, and tolerances in unique places to make this turn so well. The only thing that is the same as a V-mech is the fact it has a hidden layer! Maybe I will post a picture of the mech later, not sure. Might wait till I decide if I will do a 7x9x11 so no one sketches one up in CAD. :)

I am updating the front post now!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:35 am 

I love the name and the puzzle. Kind of curious to know what people will be naming their cuboids in 5, 10 or 20 years time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:02 pm 

If I do a cuboid in 20 years time:

(a) I will be 73
(b) I will hug it and love it and call it George.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:56 pm 

Jerm wrote:
It is similar to a V-mech, but the V-mech is just too simple for this puzzle it would not be so stable. I added many stability supports, and tolerances in unique places to make this turn so well.

I get confused about a lot of things, so this may be one of them, but I don't understand why this isn't considered a KO puzzle. I thought anything which was 8-11 must be using the v-mech in some way and is therefore considered (by this forum - not necessarily by individuals) a KO. As I said in the 2nd post I think the puzzle is stunning, I'm just talking about its legitimacy re this forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:19 pm 

rline wrote:
I get confused about a lot of things, so this may be one of them, but I don't understand why this isn't considered a KO puzzle.

The V cubes patent only applies for cubic puzzles. Not cuboids. So I guess it is ok to adapt the mechanism.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:06 pm 

rline wrote:
Jerm wrote:
It is similar to a V-mech, but the V-mech is just too simple for this puzzle it would not be so stable. I added many stability supports, and tolerances in unique places to make this turn so well.

I get confused about a lot of things, so this may be one of them, but I don't understand why this isn't considered a KO puzzle. I thought anything which was 8-11 must be using the v-mech in some way and is therefore considered (by this forum - not necessarily by individuals) a KO. As I said in the 2nd post I think the puzzle is stunning, I'm just talking about its legitimacy re this forum.

*facepalm* please try reading the patent yourself, and/or asking a moderator before you actually post about it. This comment actually frustrated me very much, and had the topic removed for a short while. I myself read the rules, and would not sell a knockoff puzzle.

Tony Fisher wrote:
I love the name and the puzzle. Kind of curious to know what people will be naming their cuboids in 5, 10 or 20 years time.

perhaps we should move into acronyms to make up for the multitude of words per title!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:27 pm 

Jerm wrote:

perhaps we should move into acronyms to make up for the multitude of words per title!

TUDUSS?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:31 pm 

Quote:
*facepalm* please try reading the patent yourself, and/or asking a moderator before you actually post about it. This comment actually frustrated me very much, and had the topic removed for a short while. I myself read the rules, and would not sell a knockoff puzzle.

Jeremy,

Your attitude here is really fairly rude. I asked the question publicly (this is a public forum, isn't it?) in all sincerity and noted that I was the 1st one here to compliment you on the puzzle. Honestly, if my comment frustrated you very much, you may want to take up some sort of de-stressing activity. Please, consider how you write things here.

At no time did I say "Jeremy's puzzle is a KO", which is what you're implying. I meant no disrespect to you at all. This issue has been on this forum for a LONG time, well before you joined it, and no doubt well before I joined it. One of the moderators referred to this issue in a PM to me as "my private hell".

You also have no idea what private PMs have gone on between me and the moderators in relation to this issue, so please don't assume you do.

Heck, i even said that this may be one of things I get confused about. And frankly, the fact that one of the mods took the post down for a while shows that it is definitely not as "clear-cut" as you make out.

It would be great if you wrote in a kind manner, as you'd hope to be spoken to.

Quote:
*facepalm*

Seriously? :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:30 pm 

rline wrote:
Quote:

Jeremy,

Your attitude here is really fairly rude. I asked the question publicly (this is a public forum, isn't it?) in all sincerity and noted that I was the 1st one here to compliment you on the puzzle. Honestly, if my comment frustrated you very much, you may want to take up some sort of de-stressing activity. Please, consider how you write things here.

At no time did I say "Jeremy's puzzle is a KO", which is what you're implying. I meant no disrespect to you at all. This issue has been on this forum for a LONG time, well before you joined it, and no doubt well before I joined it. One of the moderators referred to this issue in a PM to me as "my private hell".

You also have no idea what private PMs have gone on between me and the moderators in relation to this issue, so please don't assume you do.

Heck, i even said that this may be one of things I get confused about. And frankly, the fact that one of the mods took the post down for a while shows that it is definitely not as "clear-cut" as you make out.

It would be great if you wrote in a kind manner, as you'd hope to be spoken to.

Yes, I am guilty of letting my frustration in the moment get to me. I was trying to show my topic to some friends when I was interrupted with a message saying I do not have permission to access this page. However, that was no exception to post as I did, and apologize.

I appreciate the compliments very much, and hate that you got such a response from me.

I did message the moderator that saw your post first, and took action with it. He said he was confused with the issue, then re-opened my post.

I do feel though that with how many pm's you have had going on with the topic of KO's, and how much you say you have chatted about the issue behind the scenes, a great many puzzles should have seen a response similar to the one you gave me on this topic. Almost every cuboid out there uses a V-mech, and they do not have any issues as far as being considered a KO puzzle. Possible the thought had only occurred to you after you saw this topic in particular. In that case, I understand. You just wanted some questions answered that may have been confusing you, and perhaps I would have done the same.

On that note, I do apologize and hope that you are kind enough to put the matter aside. Maybe we should delete the posts before this, so people can enjoy the puzzle rather than a dispute?

rubikcollector123 wrote:
TUDUSS?

TUDUSS The Great!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:55 pm 

Hi Jeremy

Quote:
On that note, I do apologize and hope that you are kind enough to put the matter aside.

Of course. I really appreciate your graciousness. :) I don't see a need to delete the posts unless the mods deem it appropriate.

Quote:
I do feel though that with how many pm's you have had going on with the topic of KO's, and how much you say you have chatted about the issue behind the scenes, a great many puzzles should have seen a response similar to the one you gave me on this topic. Almost every cuboid out there uses a V-mech, and they do not have any issues as far as being considered a KO puzzle.

This is the crux of the matter, to me at least. I always try myself to abide by the rules of this forum, regardless of my personal opinions. I think this whole KO issue is very hazy, very fuzzy and very grey. From my PMs with at least one mod, I would say that the mod in question agrees! I completely understand why a KO policy is in existence on this forum, but it's a can of worms.

Quote:
Almost every cuboid out there uses a V-mech

That's what I thought! Which is why I don't understand why hardly any of the threads on those cuboids are flagged. if what I've quoted you as saying above is true - if almost every cuboid out there uses a V-mech - then why aren't those threads flagged? :? I'm perfectly willing to be shown why or why not they are KOs, but I don't think I'm a particularly unintelligent person, and yet the whole thing seems...

Well, let's just say that I wonder if the desire to see so many great new puzzles allows the KO issue to be "put aside". My modding skills are as basic as they come, and so I'm in awe of all these new puzzles. I don't want to be viewed as some kind of KO policeman. I'm not.

Quote:
Almost every cuboid out there uses a V-mech, and they do not have any issues as far as being considered a KO puzzle

And that's what I don't get. Why not?

Quote:
a great many puzzles should have seen a response similar to the one you gave me on this topic

Fair enough. as I said, it was nothing personal against you or your puzzle.

I would dearly love some clarity on all this, so I hope that one of the mods will chime in. I have no problem being told where my understanding is incorrect (as far as this forum's rules go) but it would be nice to know one way or the other.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:31 pm 

rline wrote:
Almost every cuboid out there uses a V-mech, and they do not have any issues as far as being considered a KO puzzle

The simplest reason of all. The puzzles do not violate any claims in the Vcube patent. I actually have read through the patent, and if I remember correctly, the first thing stated is that the invention refers to puzzles of N layers in 3 dimensions, or NxNxN. Puzzles such as my 6x8x10 fall under the category of (N)x(N+2)x(N+4). Various other puzzles are known to have a multitude of (n)x(n+b)x(n+d) combinations. None of those disregard any claims in the patent either.

Pictures are also used to clarify exactly what the patent refers to, from a 2x2x2 up to an 11x11x11, but nothing else. Clearly the patent is not intended for puzzles such as mine, which is why there aren't, and shouldn't be any issues regarding the legitimacy of these puzzles.

The mechanisms of these (N)x(N+2)x(N+4) puzzles I have designed do follow a basic V-mech concept. The design that I currently have implemented on the puzzle looks nothing like one though. As I said early, the only thing that is really similar is the hidden layer. The alignment mech is different, and the geometry of the pieces don't even closely resemble that of a Vcube.

I hope I cleared some things up regarding the rules of this forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:58 pm 

I'm sure one of the other mods will comment with more authority than me. But if a puzzle was modified from a V-cubes knockoff, it would be considered a KO and could not be advertised for sale here. If it was 3D printed or made from scratch some other way, it would not violate any v-cubes patents and would not be a KO even if it uses V-cubes technology since the V-cubes patent is only concerned with NxNxN.

-d

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:08 am 

Thanks to all for resolving things in a friendly manner without moderator support. I do mightily appreciate our members getting along (that's part of what makes our forum so nice!) even given some misunderstandings.

Darryl has covered all the basics, I'll just fill in a few details as this topic always finds a way to work its way there.

1.) As noted elsewhere a number of times (feel free to search for more detail), our policy is not bound by nor requires a patent violation for something to be considered a KO puzzle. But it is a very good start and something we consult of course.

2.) The Verdes patent covers only "substantially cubic" puzzles and they have (in the past) expressed no wish to limit those who use those same design principals for non-cubic designs (higher order Megaminx, cuboids, etc.). Note a simple shape mod of a cubic puzzle would not, in my opinion, bypass this. So designing, building and selling cuboids of all sizes using the Verdes underlying design is not considered KO.

3.) KO puzzles are not to be advertised or sold on this forum. This is part of our goal of respect for designers. At the same time our forum is a place to celebrate puzzles and the work of builders. On occasion this leads to some awkward conflicts, such as if a builder makes a beautiful mod starting from a KO puzzle. Showing this mod (while not dwelling on the source of the underlying KO puzzle) meets with our goals. Offering it for sale on the forum does not. By allowing sale or even identification of the source of an obviously sold puzzle we have set the precedent for anyone to make a trivial "mod" (sticker change?) of a KO puzzle and offer it for sale here. This is very much not what we want.

4.) Making your own puzzle is your business. If you wish to design and build a cubic Verdes designed puzzle covered by their patent solely for yourself I don't think this site (or even Verdes, but I won't speak for them) would consider that a bother. If, however, you were to put it up for sale then you get into the territory of infringing their patent, market, and what we consider the bounds of respectful behavior and we would consider it KO.
It has been noted that patent law in different countries may or may not cover non-comercial reproduction of patented designs.
Note also that offering Shapeways money to print a design that infringes a patent puts them in the position of being a KO producer. They don't want to do that and you shouldn't put them in that position.

Hopefully this helps clarify things a bit, at least with regards to how this site views the issue.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:07 am 

What a wonderful puzzle :D :D :D
This is the year of cuboids, indeed. :)

I really hope that the debate about KO-ness has answered all open questions.
Thank you Darryl and Dave!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:10 am 

Konrad wrote:

I really hope that the debate about KO-ness has answered all open questions.
Thank you Darryl and Dave!

Yes, I am glad that the concerns regarding KO-ness is resolved thus far :)

OH! I almost forgot. Gus. Remember that short discussion we had about doing an Orson by setting the bar too high? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:43 am 

Konrad wrote:
Agreed!

Konrad wrote:
Absolutely!

Konrad wrote:
I really hope that the debate about KO-ness has answered all open questions. Thank you Darryl and Dave!
I'm glad you noted that my question was never an accusation. In fact, it wasn't even a question. It was a statement of my ignorance:

rline wrote:
I don't understand why this isn't considered a KO puzzle

I don't know that things will ever be really clear to me at least, but I'm perfectly happy with the explanations I've received.

I'll repeat what I began with, about this puzzle:

rline wrote:
Just astonishing :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:34 pm 

For those who are curious, I am posting a few pictures of the mechanism.

Attachment:
pic 1.png
pic 1.png [ 89.09 KiB | Viewed 3958 times ]

Attachment:
pic 2.png
pic 2.png [ 163.42 KiB | Viewed 3958 times ]

Attachment:
pic 3.png
pic 3.png [ 69.67 KiB | Viewed 3958 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:38 pm 

OMG that corner stalk is THIN!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:01 pm 

How thin is that? 1mm? Are they strong?

Amazing...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:45 pm 

Gus wrote:
OMG that corner stalk is THIN!

Not too thin actually! I can't open the file but I think it is between 3 and 3.5 mm thick. I won't go thinner than 2.5 mm either. I added some strengthening supports inside of the thin part of the corner too. Have dropped it twice while scrambled and no breakage!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:27 am 

rline wrote:
DLitwin wrote:
1.) As noted elsewhere a number of times (feel free to search for more detail), our policy is not bound by nor requires a patent violation for something to be considered a KO puzzle.
Here is my take on the KO policy. As DLitwin stated the KO policy isn't simply patent enforcement. This site wished to respect puzzle designers and their wishes regarding their creations regardless rather a patent is involved or not. So I view the best way to answer your "Why not?" question is to go strait to the designer and ask them... and that has been done.

Its the first P.S. in this post by kastellorizo dated Jun 29, 2009 4:29am is the reply from Verdes:

kastellorizo wrote:
PS. Regarding the Drew's designs, he politely asked (through me) Verdes, and Verdes replied that he is not
interested in non-cubic shapes. I respect Drew for doing the right thing ethically, even though he didn't need to.
Sadly, neither me nor Verdes have yet the power to manufacture Drew's designs. Hopefully in the future,
we could do something nice together. The patent is for CUBIC ONLY.

Carl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:21 pm 

Indeed, the best way to show respect is to acknowledge and ask the original designer(s), where possible, or at least to ask oneself "how would I feel if the tables were turned?"

It's not rocket science, just common sense with a bit of emotional intelligence and empathy, but very different to the analytical thinking and algorithms that we use to solve puzzles.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:48 am 

I'm going to stick my neck out here and make a prediction: I reckon higher order Bricks and Cuboids are going to be the next big MP push. All the talk of KO issues here is probably `relevant` for a related but different reason: Simply because Verdes doesn't want anything to do with non-cubic puzzles. This is a big opportunity, as far as I can see, for some companys to exploit that in making higher order cuboids with V-mechs.

One KO company, I am thinking of, has the experience and know how with higher order puzzles to do it well, and if there are no issues with KOs in this area why wouldn't they go there, and call attention to their brand by `legitimizing` at least this part of their higher order product range(perhaps the market is willing?). It's also possible for MF8, or even Calvin (he seems to have some interest in lower order cuboids). Maybe even Witeden has greater plans for cuboids? But I'm thinking the V-mech, and specifically higher order Bricks and Cuboids, not the little ones we're getting now.

It's like a race to the moon, I think. Does anyone own the intellectual property to certain higher order Cuboids or Bricks? Tom, Greg, or Jeremy? They own their Shapeways designs, but the technique of using the V-mech to do it seems to be spread across a number of names and I don't think I can pinpoint it other than to say `this or that cuboid was first made by this designer`. It seems (to me) to be very grey (if it comes down to: who owns the use of the V-mech in Bricks & Cuboids) and if a company came out with a range of Bricks & Cuboids with slightly different designs (for injection moulding), would they be legit? Probably? And if the MP price was comparative to other higher order KO cuboids would people buy them? Probably?

It would be really nice if they did come with collaboration and recognition for designers, but that really depends on who produces them.

Food for thought,
Burgo.
(PS no disrespect is intended here, all questions are legitimate questions, not sarcastic. My post is more about a prediction in the light of Verdes non-interest in the V-mech in non-cubic puzzles, and all this chatter about it, especially with the explosion of higher order SW bricks and cuboids lately).

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:02 am 

I don't know the answers to any of these questions, but I would love to see the discussion surrounding them being answered.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:47 am 

This puzzle is crazy! The design is amazing, and your other puzzles are just as great. I can't imagine what you'll come up with next.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:15 am 

Where are the smilies with the jaws hanging out long?
Jerm wrote:
Note to Andreas: I will have some white background photos for you soon. :) Did not get around to it today.

Any progress here?
Thank you for the measurements.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:27 pm 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Where are the smilies with the jaws hanging out long?
Jerm wrote:

Any progress here?
Thank you for the measurements.

give me a few more days! I went out of town. I move away from home to my University next weekend so I am having fun with family before I venture off.