Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Anyone going to Worlds?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:32 pm 

Just curious who is going. I know there aren't many speedsolvers on here (I'm not even really one). I just have some family out there and decided to plan a vacation around it.

So yeah, if anyone is coming and wants to discuss anything puzzle related (or just meet me in person) I welcome it and encourage some sort of meeting.
Also, I will have a small batch of my heptagonal 2x2s I will be selling.

I will most likely be wearing a nametag, so if you see me, say hello!

-HP

Post subject: Re: Anyone going to Worlds?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:27 pm 

I'm going! I will be bringing a bunch of my custom puzzles too! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:38 pm 

benpuzzles wrote:
I'm going! I will be bringing a bunch of my custom puzzles too! :D

I expect a meet up! That would be great. Sadly I don't have any of my other puzzles to bring! They sell faster than I can produce them haha. I am very excited to see your crazy puzzles!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:00 pm 

Unfortunately I will miss it by one day. I arrive in Vegas on the 29th for a few conferences. I find it a bit odd how disjoint this forum seems to be from the WCA and speed cubing community. This is only the second time I've heard anything about the upcoming WCA World Championship. If I'd heard earlier I could have planned to visit over the weekend too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:49 am 

I am going.

bmenrigh wrote:
I find it a bit odd how disjoint this forum seems to be from the WCA and speed cubing community. This is only the second time I've heard anything about the upcoming WCA World Championship.

... whereas the SpeedSolving forum has a one hudred page thread about it. (One hunderd pages at the time of this post.)

I think that part of that separation is because there are two forums, SpeedSolving and this one. Most of the people that know a lot about speedcubing are "there." The people who are interested in other aspects of twisty puzzles are "here."

For example, say that someone comes here and asks a question about speedsolving. There aren't many people here that can answer that question well. That someone will be referred to the SpeedSolving forum. So, he or she will go over there and find the answer.

That person probably won't come back here. He or she won't return because mainly an interest in speedsolving was present originally; the SpeedSolving forum pretty much only deals with this. There is not much over there about other aspects of twisty puzzles, such as puzzle designing and solving something that's not governed by the World Cube Association. So, no interest will be sparked in those other areas, and no desire will be present to seek out information about them - and that information is mostly here.

Also, in my opinion, speedsolving is very different from other twisty puzzle-related activities. Even trying to figure out how to solve a 3x3x3 is different from speedsolving one.

This generalized example only applies to forums that primarily use the English language. Forums that use other languages, such as the mf8 forum, may be different.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:31 am 

An article about the worlds in a national newspaper in the UK! No way. Yes, way!I like the comment that speedcubers use lube - but they put it on their hands to prevent injury. Really?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:37 am 

*snort* :lol:

At least the one comment below it explains a few things :)