Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3D Printer on sale in the high street
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:16 pm 

Maplin have started to sell a 3D printer, so you can now just walk into a shop and buy one. The revolution has begun ...

Post subject: Re: 3D Printer on sale in the high street
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:17 pm 

The plastic cost seems reasonable at ~$45 US per kilo. I don't know the density, but I would imagine that would make quite a few twisty puzzles. Of course the resolution would have to be high enough.

-d

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:22 am 

Does this business have a branch this side of the Atlantic? Not that just over 1000 USD is within my budget.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:54 am 

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
Does this business have a branch this side of the Atlantic? Not that just over 1000 USD is within my budget.

You should take a look at The Buccaneer 3D Printer.

Regarding the printer in the UK from the original post. Do they mention any problems with dimensional stability? Many printer makers learned to cover the printing area with an enclosure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:30 pm 

darryl wrote:
The plastic cost seems reasonable at ~$45 US per kilo. I don't know the density, but I would imagine that would make quite a few twisty puzzles. Of course the resolution would have to be high enough.

-d

Claus has already convincingly demonstrated that the resolution of a good FDM process is precise enough for simple puzzle mechanisms like the 3x3x3 and Skewb.

I doubt FDM will ever be good at making a shell-mech puzzle with curved rails and grooves.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:30 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
Claus has already convincingly demonstrated that the resolution of a good FDM process is precise enough for simple puzzle mechanisms like the 3x3x3 and Skewb.
I don't know if Claus has ever described his building methods, nor the turning quality of his FDM puzzles.
I know from my small experience (Blue Thunder) that making an FDM puzzle move to my standards was a very large amount of work.

So I don't think FDM can be an effective "print and assemble" process like SLS. SLS may require some turning break in but that doesn't compare to what is needed for FDM prints.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:29 am 

DLitwin wrote:
bmenrigh wrote:
I don't know if Claus has ever described his building methods, nor the turning quality of his FDM puzzles.
I know from my small experience (Blue Thunder) that making an FDM puzzle move to my standards was a very large amount of work.

So I don't think FDM can be an effective "print and assemble" process like SLS. SLS may require some turning break in but that doesn't compare to what is needed for FDM prints.

Dave

Wouldn't giving the pieces a vapor bath be easy and effective?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:20 am 

I use a HP Designjet Color 3D for printing my models. The resolution for all 3 dimension is 0.254mm. Printer with not so good resolutions, you can't use for puzzles.

For 3x3x3, skewbs, megaminx, 2x2 mods I designed the complete mechanism, too. The turning of the complete puzzles is nearly perfect. You do not need any lubrications.

All the floppy I made (look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McGAbaXZMuY or here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxnKNsoe5BA) I used only the FDM printer.

Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFwD5gyQrOQ I scaled down the 5x5x3 with the factor 0.7 with fantastic results after lubrications.

But to make a 24-cube playable you have to invest a lot of work and time. Therefore I made a hybrid between SLS and ABS.

I agree with Dave that it is not usefull to print complicate shell puzzles by FDM.

Another important problem by FDM is: the material is very stiff. It is very easy to break sticks (smaller than 1.5mm)

With some expierience you can hollow out pieces to a thickness of 1.2 mm. But you have to manage the print without any support material inside. See my 24-tetra.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:03 am 

clauswe wrote:
I use a HP Designjet Color 3D for printing my models. The resolution for all 3 dimension is 0.254mm. Printer with not so good resolutions, you can't use for puzzles.
I see one of these would cost around £13,000 :shock:
Attachment:
HPDesignjet3DColor_4AA0-1893EEE_low.pdf [365.06 KiB]
Downloaded 39 times
clauswe wrote:
Another import problem by FDM is: the material is very stiff. It is very easy to broken sticks (smaller than 1.5mm)
Do you mean that the rods or spool of ABS material is brittle and breaks into small pieces?
clauswe wrote:
With some expierience you can hollow out pieces to a thickness of 1.2 mm. But you have to managed the print without any support material inside. See my 24-tetra.
So do you have to add internal support ribs? How would you print the top of a hollow box without support material? Would you have to print the box in two parts and glue them together?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:02 am 

Here two pictures witch make it a little bit clear.

Attachment:
24 dodec with less support material.jpg
24 dodec with less support material.jpg [ 168.78 KiB | Viewed 1152 times ]

Attachment:
24 dodec with support material.jpg
24 dodec with support material.jpg [ 300.16 KiB | Viewed 1152 times ]

It is the same piece of a 24-dodec.

The first picture shows an oriantation I choose where the printer needs only some support material outside the pieces.
In the second one the printer needs more support material than ABS platic.

In the same way you can place a hollow cube on one corner an can start the print. But the shake of the printer will stop a positiv result But with 3 small sticks outside you can fixe this problem.
Clearly, there will exit boxes and it is much easier to split them in two parts and glue them together.

The other question: this pieces above are very hard to demage. Children can stand on them without destroying.
But sticks thinner than matches you can break in two parts with only 2 fingers.

There exists HP printesr for only one color (ivory) in lesss then a half price.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:44 pm 

[BUMP sort of]
3D Printing Will Explode in 2014 When Key Patents Expire