Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Idea for better turning pyraminx crystal.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:21 am 

Most of us who own a pyraminx crystal know the 'problem' it has. The edges can be pushed up and down. This causes catching which is quite annoying. I propose a new (not entirely) mechanism to counter this problem.

The cause of this issue (I believe) is that there is a empty space below the center of the faces, allowing the edges to move around. This empty space is caused by the cuts of the pyraminx crystal actually causing weird floating bits to appear, which are actually starminx pieces, and these are deleted during the design.

Note that the starminx and deeper puzzles, do not have this squishy edges problem, and seem to turn much better. Because those starminx pieces prevent the edges from sliding. So. my idea is, the mechanism of the pyraminx crystal should include a starminx layer as well, then the crystal edges and corners are extended over the starminx, making a pyraminx crystal.

Check out my Shapeways shop!

Post subject: Re: Idea for better turning pyraminx crystal.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:30 am 

I've had this same thought - My fear would be that the inner piece holding the edges in would jam into these pieces when they near the last part of the turn - since they are not there holding in the piece for the entire time it moves (don't know if that makes any sense?)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:36 am 

In other words - at least the way I've designed it - instead of this:

Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 30.65 KiB | Viewed 597 times ]

this:

Attachment:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 24.26 KiB | Viewed 597 times ]

?

Tell you what - I've just finished the initial design for a Pyraminx Crystal variant (I'll save the details till I'm sure it will work), but I'll consider making two different cores and compare the difference in real life.... Also I'll wait and see what others think too...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:18 pm 

I reread your first post - basically, there aren't really many floating pieces that need to be deleted in a pyraminx crystal - other than the one I've shown above, which is at the very center, right underneath where the edges and centers come together... I don't think any of the mass produced versions leave that bit in, but I may be wrong as I only have the first run.

You may be thinking of Eitan's TwistyPuzzles a la Vi video where he deletes some floating pieces of the pyraminx crystal layer on a master pentultimate?

I'm honestly not sure what those pieces are, but they may be the same ones I'm talking about above. Someone more enlightened may chime in... :)

I made my cuts slightly different than shown in that video - I think he adds an extra "notch" on the pyraminx crystal cut for extra stability...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:05 pm 

Your pyraminx crystal design is quite different from what I do.

I make only 1 grip for the edge pieces, like the mass produced ones.(or at least the KO one.)

Check out my Shapeways shop!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:09 pm 

Well, to be honest, I have no idea if the way I've done it is the best way, or if it will even function - this is my basic cut:

Attachment:
cut.jpg
cut.jpg [ 64.03 KiB | Viewed 491 times ]

Would you mind sharing yours? I'm just curious. I would consider myself very much in the learning stage...

Thanks!