Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Introducing the Cubic Toru puzzle
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:58 pm 

Ah, it's been a very long time since I've posted anything here! So I'm very glad to be able to have some pictures to go with it. A bit of a background story though, as this has been a number of years in the making...

I designed and printed the first prototype in 2010 about the same time I quit my job in Auckland. That, and a whole bunch of other things kind of put puzzle building on the back-burner. Eventually I took a new job in Sydney which removed a bunch of the stresses that were keeping me from making puzzles, but added some new ones like having to learn a whole bunch of fluid mechanics which in turn took up all the time and mental effort I would have normally put into puzzles. So instead of getting the project completed properly, I got as far as assembling the initial prototype and donating it rather classless-ly in an un-stickered form. Sigh...

Then, some months ago, a conversation with Jason saw me donating the .stl files to him for printing--which he has not only done, but has also re-packed them more efficiently to drive the printing cost down substantially from what I had originally done by simply eyeballing things.

He has now printed the puzzle, and got the stickers made that I didn't get around to. As well, the puzzle was tumbled and dyed black by Brandon Enright (bmenrigh) and I think he's done a pretty amazing job of it too!

So, I present to you the Cubic Toru puzzle!

This is an edge-turning puzzle, so the slices are based on a rhombic dodecahedron. The pieces all correspond 1:1 to my earlier Toru puzzle, with the geometry projected out to a cube. To get around the fact said projection would require a number of pieces to be held in place by magic, I gave the outer layer cuts a parabolic profile that leaves only a small triangular gap on each face that I thought actually worked well from an aesthetic point of view.

The edges are (I think) 85mm, a size that was chosen to match the 24-cube exactly. So this is a large puzzle, but not overbearing. On the same order as Tony Fisher's Golden Cube (the Meffert version of course, I've not encountered an original one).

The prototype I had was a bit sticky, but I lubed it like mad and it turned well after that. Some breaking in will be required I think, as the video seems to demonstrate.

But enough of my jibber-jabber, enjoy some pretty pictures!

VIDEO
PICTURES
PURCHASE (0% Markup)

Last edited by the.drizzle on Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Introducing the Cubic Toru puzzle
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:23 pm 

Oh my... I thought this day might not have arrived this year! Looks great! But those spots on the puzzle are bugging my OCD, it's like "Why are you leaving pieces out!!?? Oh, they can't be there... NOOOOOOOOO!!"

But it still looks amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:26 pm 

Wow. :shock: That looks awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:57 pm 

Tumbling this puzzle was fun but challenging. The corner pieces are HUGE and they have a big inner cavity that tends to get packed full of smaller pieces. This shields the smaller pieces from wear and encourages the corners to wear too fast. If you look closely at the points on the corners (the 90-degree points) you'll see I managed to wear holes in them :oops:

Also, I dyed the parts at 15 PSI in my pressure cooker which normally does a great job of making parts incredibly deep black. Because the corners were so big though they floated on the surface of the dye bath in the cooker and because the cooker is sealed and can't safely be moved under pressure, the big corners didn't dye properly. Parts of the pieces have an ugly red-brown tint to them. I need to get a wire cage to put parts in to keep them fully submerged.

The actual design of the puzzle is quite nice though and the pictures look good, I'm glad they partially hide the scars I inflicted :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:07 pm 

the.drizzle wrote:
The prototype I had was a bit sticky, but I lubed it like mad and it turned well after that. Some breaking in will be required I think, as the video seems to demonstrate.

I'm not sure what the catchiness is from the video. I didn't assemble the puzzle (the core requires unusually sized screws) however I tested the interaction of the pieces after tumbling and they seemed to glide nicely. No further breaking in is possible after tumbling. All of the partially-sintered outer portion of the parts gets fully worn off.

The "grippiness" of the parts is probably due to lubrication on the parts causing tiny vacuums to be formed as the parts glide over each other. I've noticed that after tumbling a puzzle, adding silicone oil causes the parts to stick to each other and not want to slide as well. Overall the lubrication does improve turning and after the oil is almost completely absorbed / evaporated much of the grippiness goes away. I had this same issue with the PAW Pentultimate but when I baked the stickers onto it in a make-shift oven, the excess oil also was absorbed or evaporated off and turning improved a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:09 pm 

Ooh, I know this one! The punch-through and filling-up you described should be expected when using a homogeneous tumbling process, as has actually been demonstrated mathematically. Ah, nerding...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:19 pm 

It looks great! I like the size of this puzzle and somehow the gaps in the face seem "correct" to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:38 pm 

It's really pretty. I can't decide if would look better or worse if the triangle gaps were pieces. In any case, great job by all involved.

4x4:36.50/45.59
5x5: 1:21.50/1:41.50
7x7: 4:10.50

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:57 pm 

I'm a bit worried my video may be making any catching seem worse than it is. If it's misaligned, it can catch, but by and large it's really smooth to play with! Matt, maybe I should send it your way for some breaking in and a better video! It's really very nice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:38 am 

What a beautiful puzzle!

Seeing this post, is a bit like time travelling back in TP history. the.drizzle's last post was October 17th, 2010 :)

Whenever I read "the.drizzle" I connect it with 24 Cube aka Little Chop

Welcome back Matt :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:45 am 

This confuses me. The description of Drewseph's Quad X puzzle on youtube mentions 'As it turns out the puzzle is also identical to a Toru in cubic form'

But now this is a cubic Toru? I don't understand.

Check out my Shapeways shop!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:08 am 

Seeing you back in action is as awesome as this puzzle!
Nice work there! (again!)

:D

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:20 am 

Hi,

I am afraid this cube and the Toru are not equivalent.
Your cube has this signature of pieces
HE2[F2 C2 X10 L16][C2]
The Toru has this
HE2[F2 C2 E5 X10 L16][F2 C2]
This means the rhombic pieces of the Toru have no equivalent in the cube.
Anyway: A great achievement.

Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:59 am 

Impressive packing job and great price :D
Attachment:
cubic_toru_sw.png
cubic_toru_sw.png [ 271.5 KiB | Viewed 1324 times ]

The puzzle is very big and some of the pieces are shelled quite thick so I was expecting a higher cost.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:59 pm 

Holy cow, Matt! Welcome back!

-Eitan