Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Potential mod sale
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:37 am 

Hello Twistypuzzle community! I am new to the this forum and its etiquette so please excuse me if I am posting in the wrong topic or misspeak. I did go over the rules and guidelines however I am only human and would like nothing more than to adhere to the requests of the twistypuzzle.com owner.

I have recently become seemingly good at making shape mods. Nothing new in design and nothing truly remarkable, but I can say that they are quite good. I have made several barrel cubes, a few balls, and am currently working on a rhombic triacontahedron megaminx. I am a very detailed and patient person and doing these sorts of things I enjoy sincerely. My question to the community is these; If I were to make such puzzles more often (assuming they were good quality which they are) would anyone be interesting in purchasing them? Also, would the original inventors of said ideas need to grant me permission? I am willing to make 4x4-8x8 barrel/balls for now. I was thinking to perhaps send out a free cube to someone for good measure. Test it out, let the community know how it is. These cubes would be fairly cheap as they don't take long to make.

Maybe this kind of service is already available, if so, I apologize. I am more asking then I am telling at this point and I am sorry if I have stepped on anyone's toes out of ignorance. I have a good amount of free time these days and this sort of thing is right up my alley. Please let me know what you think and offer suggestions and or correction if needed!

Thank you -
A puzzle enthusiast

Post subject: Re: Potential mod sale
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:08 am 

The prices you may be able to get for your work will depend partly on the quality, partly on the rarity and somewhat on market demands. Although you may be able to offer your work for sale on these forums, if the "base" puzzle is considered by the forum admins as a Knock-Off or KO or illegal puzzle, then you should not refer to it by name, and by selling it here you are in a bit of a grey area.

If your work is high quality, and your name is recognised as someone who does good work (e.g. traiphum, Tony Fisher) then you should have no problem selling them via ebay, and this wider exposure may get you a better price.

As to receiving permission to sell your modifications, on these forums we are generally respectful of the original inventor's (as listed in the Museum) wishes, so it would be best to seek this permission first.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:10 pm 

Showing some of your work in the forum's would help, :D .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:53 pm 

Yes. No need to give away your puzzles. Just post pictures and videos for us!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:16 am 

I shall post some videos/pictures after this weekend! I am currently (temporarily) busy and in the process of moving and all my puzzles are packed up until the 29th. Coming soon!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:41 am 

I've bought a lot of shape mods. I know moders like to take the best pictures that show off their work. As a buyer, I'd like to see the worst, least flattering pictures. It's good to see the whole spectrum. The best of a puzzle and the worst. I'd suggest showing off the highlights as well as the flaws. Speaking for myself, I'm more likely to bid on an honest mod than an extremely good looking mod.

As somebody who's taken pictures of mod work (polishing), I know I'm guilty of picking out the most flattering pictures. It's human nature.