Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle Around the World Project
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:18 pm 

Thursday was my birthday and day 7 of the PAW.
My wife made a wonderful tart for me.

In the afternoon we drove to Munich and I met Roberto (see post above).
It was somehow a strange feeling, sitting in the café and waiting for Roberto, whom I had never seen.
It was like a blind date. Instead of a rose as a sign I had the PAW sitting on my table.
I looked at every person coming around a corner and tried to judge, if this could be Roberto.
And then he came quite unexpectedly from the opposite direction, carrying a Helicopter Cube as his sign. :)
We had a good time together.

After meeting Roberto I walked over to my family. Only our son was missing. He works in ZĂĽrich / Switzerland. He is the only one who is interested a bit in puzzles.
After the dinner we took our granddaughters to our home in the Mangfall valley. The kindergarten was closed the next day and they stayed with us until Saturday.

Album of day 7

This is definitely the last post about "PAW in Upper Bavaria". :wink:
If you care, you can know by now much more about me as a person from this last week than from the nearly 2000 posts before.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:05 am 

Happy Birthday Konrad, and yes, seems like it was the best way to celebrate them!

;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:32 am 

Konrad, it was very nice to meet you, and this is an understatement. And I dared bore you with all my stories! The day of your birthday! How shamelessly cruel of me.

I am replying publicly because I am now more convinced than before that twisty puzzle aficionados should meet in person more often. The sharing goes beyond the common passion for intellectual riddles - unavoidably we discover we have more in common than just this. And I am amazed by the sheer amount of intellectual vivacity, curiosity, creativity that there is among the folks in this forum. As a mathematician I am delighted in seeing people, even very young people, talk about mathematical concepts such as commutators, orbits, permutations: this is group theory, ore of my very first mathematical passions!

The PAW was ultimately just a cool pretext for finally meeting. Konrad is also the first twisty puzzle lover I met in person. I hope to meet more - maybe at the Spielwiesn Munich 2013 the next November? (With my luck, I will be for sure out on business travel…)

Roberto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:29 am 

@Pantazis: Thank you very much! I would not have mentioned my birthday at all, but it fitted so nicely with the PAW story and meeting Roberto.

@Roberto: It was a nice additional birthday gift to meet you on this very day. (Originally we had planned for Friday, but because my daughter had to change her plans, it was even better this way.)
As Pantazis said, this was the right way to celebrate. :) Your history was very interesting and I'm sure many people here would like to hear it. BTW, "aficionado" is a good word describing people like us.
I felt that communicating was quite easy, with somebody more or less a foreigner until now.
Maybe we can drive together to the next DCD?
I have not heared any details, but the date is probably fixed already.

I hope you'll enjoy the Pentultimate and take all the time you need. :)

I have responded in public as well, because this might be a thread for a core of aficionados, anyway, and other people should now what I felt about meeting my first TP friend.
There are many on this forum I consider as friends, but they are so far away. :)
Unfortunately, I cannot attend to a German PAW meeting on June 22nd.

EDIT: I looked at www.wikipedia.com
wikipedia wrote:
A fan, sometimes also called aficionado or supporter, is a person who is enthusiastically devoted to something, such as a band, a sports team or entertainer.
I like the word "aficionado" somehow better than "fan". We cannot say that puzzles have a special Spanish background, though :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:52 am 

Konrad wrote:
@Roberto: It was a nice additional birthday gift to meet you on this very day.

*blush*

Quote:
Maybe we can drive together to the next DCD?
I have not heared any details, but the date is probably fixed already.

The German Cube Day or is this another event? Wasn't the 2013 in Guetersloh? I would be pleased if this is not too far (among my many quirks is that I don't like to drive - of course sometimes i drive to Italy so that my parents get to see their german grandson, but…).

Quote:
I hope you'll enjoy the Pentultimate and take all the time you need. :)

Its going to take time. But I got gelatinbrain working on my mac now, this should help.

I think I'll try to collect as much info as I can on gelatinbrain. The program is a bit sparse on the UI side, but I already see its potential. I may open a discussion thread specifically on it in the future.

Roberto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:46 am 

DCD = Dutch Cube Day and it is usually organized somewhen in autumn in the Netherlands.
The Dutch have a long tradition of organizing puzzle events.
So, yes, it will be some driving.
I can do that if we make enough breaks.

I have contacted Geert. He has responded that he doesn't organize it himself but his friend Joop.
He will keep me informed about the details (currently he is travelling).

I responded in the thread because DCD may not ring familiar to everybody.
I think that we can go back to PM communication.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:12 am 

Konrad wrote:
I have contacted Geert. He has responded that he doesn't organize it himself but his friend Joop.
He will keep me informed about the details (currently he is travelling).

I found this http://www.worldcubeassociation.org/results/c.php?i=DutchOpen2013 and I am posting this in public just to informational purpose - so it seems that the DCD is on Sunday, october 20th. I will be most likely in San Diego or Hyderabad, but neither trip is 100% sure (and I cannot do both at the same time).

Quote:
I responded in the thread because DCD may not ring familiar to everybody.
I think that we can go back to PM communication.

Indeed, the only reason I also responded in the thread is to spread the word of cube events. Any further communication of personal character on this will be in PM.

Roberto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:07 am 

I will be there at Dutch Open and I know for a fact Martywolfman will be there as well.

We should have a small TP forum meetup heh :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:36 am 

Indeed I am :) Looking forward to it very much, it will also be my first cubing competition at the dutch open, where I fully expect to humiliate myself, since I'm not really a speed solver, but hey, it will be fun :)

I like the idea of a TP meet-up :D

Latest videos: Unboxing / Review of Curvy copter Plus, David Gear Cube, Octo-star Cube

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:29 am 

On Monday the puzzle arrived in Germany.

Because they can't speak German, some of us mean that Bavaria does not belong to Germany.
Great thank you to Konrad to made this fantastic presentation of Bavaria and Munich. They have a beautiful contryside and a great looking Alpine scenery.

We in western of Germany can't deliver such awesome pictures. But as kind of compensation we have the better bear, named KĂ–LSCH.

I am proud to be part of this project. I will show in the next days some pictures of the surroundings of Cologne.

The most known tourist attraction is the KĂ–LNER DOM. The river in front is the RHINE.
Attachment:
cw_PAW (17).JPG
cw_PAW (17).JPG [ 5.48 MiB | Viewed 5451 times ]

Attachment:
cw_PAW (3).JPG
cw_PAW (3).JPG [ 5.15 MiB | Viewed 5451 times ]

Attachment:
cw_PAW (1).JPG
cw_PAW (1).JPG [ 4.85 MiB | Viewed 5451 times ]

Attachment:
cw_PAW (2).JPG
cw_PAW (2).JPG [ 5.22 MiB | Viewed 5451 times ]

For couples in love there is a tradition to fixed padlocks at the bridge to the cathedral:
Attachment:
cw_PAW (5).JPG
cw_PAW (5).JPG [ 5.13 MiB | Viewed 5451 times ]

Attachment:
cw_PAW (6).JPG
cw_PAW (6).JPG [ 5.75 MiB | Viewed 5451 times ]

Some kilometers outside is Kerpen the home of MICHAEL SCHUMACHER, seven times Formula 1 world champion. Here is the place he learned driving cars.
Attachment:
cw_PAW (10).JPG
cw_PAW (10).JPG [ 5.06 MiB | Viewed 5451 times ]

Attachment:
cw_PAW (11).JPG
cw_PAW (11).JPG [ 5.14 MiB | Viewed 5451 times ]

the story will be continued....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:02 am 

clauswe wrote:

No, it arrived in Prussia. It was in Bavaria before ;-)

Roberto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:55 am 

clauswe wrote:
We in western of Germany can't deliver such awesome pictures. But as kind of compensation we have the better bear, named KĂ–LSCH.
In Cologne you have an better bear than Bavaria, I hope it is well trained and answers to its name :lol: Googling Kölsch seems to show that this bear may be an alcoholic, I would steer clear of it :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:44 am 

clauswe wrote:

Great photos! I especially like the photo with the bridge :D

The bridge over the Rhine and the cathedral is very similar to my mental image of the quintessential big German city.

I'm really enjoying seeing the world through the travels of the PAW!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:56 am 

clauswe wrote:

Because they can't speak German, some of us mean that Bavaria doesn't belong to Germany.
Thanks Claus for the nice pictures which prove that the PAW has safely crossed the border to that strange part of Germany were they believe to speak German and have the better beer called the KĂ–LSCH (it is as strong as a bear, without any doubt).
As Gus pointed out
Quote:
I would steer clear of it
Seriously, we have here in Bavaria a very good beer, especially from the smaller breweries, but the Kölsch isn't bad either.
We can meet at the Oktoberfest and check it out :lol:

May the PAW decide what it likes better :wink:

Roberto and I are not the typical Bavarians, he has Italian roots and I have a migration background from Baden-Württemberg. So, neither of as can speak the Bavarian dialect (bairisch). I'm sure we can communicate with our friends from Western Germany, if they refrain from using the strange idiom spoken around Köln (Cologne). :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:16 pm 

clauswe wrote:

Because they can't speak German, some of us mean that Bavaria does not belong to Germany.

Thank you for the beautiful pictures of Cologne, Claus. It was a bit painful to see them, because I lived for many years not too far (first Essen, then Herne) and I went countless times to Cologne: whether to hear a concert, to visit a Museum, to see come cultural event at the Itailan Cultural Institute (or the Japanese one), or just to walk a bit, enjoy the city, the atmosphere, the beer.

BUT! The language. How dare you! Of all dialects of german, the people of cologne cannot criticize the bavarian for their (admittedly, hideous) language. "Et es wie et es. Et hät noch emmer joot jejange. Et bliev nix wie et wor. KÖLLE ALAAF! Mer lievve de Zauvverwörfel." It is closer to dutch or even Lëtzebuergesch than to high German :-) At least Bavarian is related to middle high german.

(To everybody else: of course I am joking - I just like to make fun of everything.)

Quote:

I like the Kölsch bear, but it cannot compare with the bavarian polar bear, her, white bear, whatever.

I will definitely contact you next time i have to come to the west of Germany.

Roberto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:32 am 

Roberto, perhaps there will be an opportunity for you and Konrad to participate on one of our next small German Cube Meetings. 2 times a year we meet us in a small group and have a lot of fun until late night.

In the nearest surrounding of my home (5 kilometers) there are more than 15 moated castles. Most of them are in very good conditions
Here some more places , where the PAW arrived:

SCHLOSS TĂśRNICH
Attachment:
cw_PAW (14).JPG
cw_PAW (14).JPG [ 6.2 MiB | Viewed 5319 times ]

Attachment:
cw_PAW (12).JPG
cw_PAW (12).JPG [ 6.11 MiB | Viewed 5319 times ]

WEISSE BURG FRIESHEIM
Attachment:
cw_PAW (19).JPG
cw_PAW (19).JPG [ 6.02 MiB | Viewed 5319 times ]

BURG REDINGHOVEN
Attachment:
cw_PAW (20).JPG
cw_PAW (20).JPG [ 5.91 MiB | Viewed 5319 times ]

BURG KONRADSHEIM
Attachment:
cw_PAW (23).JPG
cw_PAW (23).JPG [ 5.35 MiB | Viewed 5319 times ]

Attachment:
cw_PAW (22).JPG
cw_PAW (22).JPG [ 5.51 MiB | Viewed 5319 times ]

Yesterday it was one of the hottest days we have in the last years.

At home I want to take a picture of our bear. For this I filled up a lot of typical Kölsch glasses (pints).
My wife asked me if it is neccessary to do this. The answer was: YES
The holder is called : KRANZ

Attachment:
cw_PAW (26).JPG
cw_PAW (26).JPG [ 5.76 MiB | Viewed 5319 times ]

... PROST!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:52 am 

I see that the PAW has a good time in Germany. It comes to very nice places and when it becomes too hot, there is waiting a refreshing beer. PROST!
(BTW, the German "Prost" comes from Latin "prosit", verbally translated "es möge nützen" = something like "this should serve you")

I hope we'll see more pictures, especially of your meeting in Frankfurt.
As you know, I have two events waiting for me over the weekend and I'll be travelling, otherwise I would be with you and meet the PAW another time. (HĂĽseyin = husatoso had sent me an invitation weeks ago and I had completely forgotten about the two other events. :( )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:50 am 

Yesterday our third small German Cube day took place. This time HĂĽseyin was our host. Thanks to him and his wife for this perfect day, the fantastic food they served and the exciting discussions. I got a lot of informations and unknown news of the puzzle universe.

One big theme based on the n-ary puzzles. Here is a link to Götz web side for more informations: http://puzzles.schwandtner.info/group_nary.html

My absolute favorit is the K419. The number tells the moves you need to solve it. In the third row Götz showed the K323, very simmilar.

Here some pictures taken by this event. PAW was on board. Please watch the titles of the pictures.

Attachment:
cw_SGCD3_PAW.jpg
cw_SGCD3_PAW.jpg [ 1.77 MiB | Viewed 5160 times ]

Attachment:
cw_SGCD3_PAW (2).jpg
cw_SGCD3_PAW (2).jpg [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 5160 times ]

Attachment:
cw_SGCD_very tricky puzzle.jpg
cw_SGCD_very tricky puzzle.jpg [ 2.18 MiB | Viewed 5160 times ]

Attachment:
cw_SGCD3_12 Bastards (new).jpg
cw_SGCD3_12 Bastards (new).jpg [ 2.74 MiB | Viewed 5160 times ]

Attachment:
cw_SGCD3_4_in_Frame.jpg
cw_SGCD3_4_in_Frame.jpg [ 2.21 MiB | Viewed 5160 times ]

Attachment:
cw_SGCD3_Götz and Claus.jpg
cw_SGCD3_Götz and Claus.jpg [ 2.02 MiB | Viewed 5160 times ]

Andreas, for the following new puzzles, details will come next week.
Attachment:
cw_SGCD3_new puttles.jpg
cw_SGCD3_new puttles.jpg [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 5160 times ]

Here my last pictures I took for the PAW project.

PAW meets an unknown puzzle I built last week.
Attachment:
cw_PAW last pictures (2).jpg
cw_PAW last pictures (2).jpg [ 1.86 MiB | Viewed 5160 times ]

Attachment:
cw_PAW last pictures.jpg
cw_PAW last pictures.jpg [ 2.08 MiB | Viewed 5160 times ]

Tomorrow PAW will send 100 km up the Rhine to Andreas.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:52 pm 

Claus you managed to build a puzzle that makes the PAW look small! It's great to see it make it to a meetup with a bunch of other puzzles.

I vote that we establish a Brachistochrone Tunnel between the California Bay Area and Germany and combine our meetups into one Ăśbermeetup :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:55 am 

clauswe wrote:
Tomorrow PAW will send 100 km up the Rhine to Andreas.

Another possibility would have been that Goetz throws it into the Rhine and I try to fish it out ...
I am still sorry that I couldn't attend.

Even more after you showed the puzzles besides the PAW.

Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:40 pm 

The PAW comes in a very nice box that keeps the puzzle safe. However, not watertight I am afraid.

Andreas, after your proposed way of travel, it might have some additional "scent" that the puzzle does not deserve. ;)

http://puzzles.schwandtner.info

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:58 am 

Taken from the travelling notes of the PAW:

Started near Cologne
travelled upwards the rhine
reached a strange place where two rivers meet.
I came from here
Attachment:
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 975.61 KiB | Viewed 4898 times ]

If Goetz had short cut Claus I would have come from here
Attachment:
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 998.13 KiB | Viewed 4898 times ]

In two days I will travel to some point in this direction
Attachment:
3.JPG
3.JPG [ 994.44 KiB | Viewed 4898 times ]

To further explore this place I decided to use a ecological way of travelling
Attachment:
4.JPG
4.JPG [ 849.63 KiB | Viewed 4898 times ]

I must admit it looks somewhat overdressed
Attachment:
5.JPG
5.JPG [ 999.97 KiB | Viewed 4898 times ]

On the other hand: travelling by horse is so outdated like the dead guy above me
Attachment:
6.JPG
6.JPG [ 981.46 KiB | Viewed 4898 times ]

Who is this guy? And what does he want to do with me?
Attachment:
DSCF5811.JPG
DSCF5811.JPG [ 960.16 KiB | Viewed 4898 times ]

Eventually I could look up this strange place in the archive of useless knowledge:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsches_Eck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:20 am 

Thanks to the PAW and host Andreas for the educational tour about German geography and history (William I. wasn't so bad, the II. caused trouble.)

Actually we have two of the kind "Deutsches Eck" in our area around Salzburg (the city of W. A. Mozart) (German website ahead) http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsches_Eck_(Verkehr): "GroĂźes Deutsches Eck" and "Kleines Deutsches Eck".

(Eck = corner - the PAW has even twenty of them :lol: )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:46 am 

I had the PAW in my posession before I sent it on to Konrad (so the pictures are not in chronological order now). But here is a picture of the PAW, me, and my collection.

Attachments:
PAW.jpg
PAW.jpg [ 60.36 KiB | Viewed 4829 times ]

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:28 pm 

Tom, nice to see you with the PAW. :)

I surely hope that you will smile too, when you have a look at my Mystery Tour which was some kind of a PAW side project.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:22 am 

Hey everyone,

Got the PAW late last week and took some pics in Strasbourg (where my parents live) and Belfort (where I live) as well as a Saverne (where my grandmother lives)

Some pictures don't have the PAW in it, but they are mostly to show architecture and the famous spots in these three cities ! :D

Saverne, Alsace, France

Rohan Castle in Saverne, nothing to do with LOTR ;)

Attachment:
Rohan Saverne.jpg
Rohan Saverne.jpg [ 398.01 KiB | Viewed 4584 times ]

Strasbourg, Alsace, France

The Strasbourg Cathedral, 142m, wolrd's tallest building from 1647 to 1874 (over 200 years !)
I couldn't take a picture with the whole cathedral because it's so tall, so I took one from the internet.

Attachment:
Strass Cathedral.jpg
Strass Cathedral.jpg [ 145.47 KiB | Viewed 4584 times ]

The Strasbourg Train Station, Famous for its protective glass structure (since the station is 165 years old)

Attachment:
Gare 1.jpg
Gare 1.jpg [ 309.85 KiB | Viewed 4584 times ]

Attachment:
Gare 2.jpg
Gare 2.jpg [ 408.46 KiB | Viewed 4584 times ]

Attachment:
Gare 3.jpg
Gare 3.jpg [ 114.42 KiB | Viewed 4584 times ]

Belfort, Franche-Comté, France

The famous TGV ('High Speed Train' in French) and the brand new TGV station

Attachment:
TGV.jpg
TGV.jpg [ 509.35 KiB | Viewed 4584 times ]

Attachment:
Gare Belfort.jpg
Gare Belfort.jpg [ 385.9 KiB | Viewed 4584 times ]

For those into that, the PAW next to a geocache I found days earlier :)
Puzzle next to a puzzle ;)

Attachment:
Geocache.jpg
Geocache.jpg [ 296.82 KiB | Viewed 4584 times ]

Monument to Rochereau Denfert the 'Savior of Belfort'

Attachment:
Rochereau Denfert.jpg
Rochereau Denfert.jpg [ 387.29 KiB | Viewed 4584 times ]

Monument to the dead (WW2)

Attachment:
Monument aux Morts.jpg
Monument aux Morts.jpg [ 522.98 KiB | Viewed 4584 times ]

'Place Corbis', the center of the city

Attachment:
Place Corbis.jpg
Place Corbis.jpg [ 399.42 KiB | Viewed 4584 times ]

The Giant Belfort citadel

Attachment:
Citadel.jpg
Citadel.jpg [ 343.13 KiB | Viewed 4584 times ]

Attachment:
Citadel 2.jpg
Citadel 2.jpg [ 484.95 KiB | Viewed 4584 times ]

Belfort's Lion, most famous monument, hand-carved symbol of the city (our own little sphinx :wink: )

Attachment:
Belfort's Lion.jpg
Belfort's Lion.jpg [ 548.31 KiB | Viewed 4584 times ]

View from the Citadel and architecture

Attachment:
Architecture.jpg
Architecture.jpg [ 524.69 KiB | Viewed 4584 times ]

Attachment:
Architecture 2.jpg
Architecture 2.jpg [ 535.95 KiB | Viewed 4584 times ]

Hope you enjoyed my city :)
Awaiting Brandon's orders :P

PS: Slow Motion PAW !!!

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:07 am 

I never before visited Strassbourg. But it is looking very nice and interesting. Greg, thanks for the pictures.

Here the end of the video, Greg didn't show us.

Attachment:
rubik kaputt.jpg
rubik kaputt.jpg [ 16.81 KiB | Viewed 4567 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:32 am 

clauswe wrote:
...Here the end of the video, Greg didn't show us.

Oh my, poor old PAW! R.I.P

I really hope that Greg's skills will be sufficient to cure all the maladies. :lol:

Thanks Greg for the nice pictures!
I visited Strasbourg a few years ago. We had a nice place with bed and breakfast on the countryside and drove to the city for sightseeing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:45 am 

clauswe wrote:

Here the end of the video, Greg didn't show us.

A very nice re-assembly puzzle ! :twisted:

http://1002-puzzles.blogspot.be/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:01 pm 

Awesome pictures Greg! It's great the PAW got to visit so many places in France. What a pretty place!

I'm impressed by how much history Europe has compared to where I live. If I walk around my surrounding area almost nothing is older than 20 years. I have to go to San Francisco to in order to see any sort of history and even then it's only about 100 years at the outside.

You're our last western European hop, thank you for rounding out such a great tour! :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:07 pm 

Hi. I received a PAW... some phote soon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:20 pm 

little big adventure PAW Pentultimate in Russia
Enjoy it...

Attachments:
DSCF1033.JPG
DSCF1033.JPG [ 3.53 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF1031.JPG
DSCF1031.JPG [ 3.81 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF1030.JPG
DSCF1030.JPG [ 3.47 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF1026.JPG
DSCF1026.JPG [ 3.64 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF1024.JPG
DSCF1024.JPG [ 3.82 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF1005.JPG
DSCF1005.JPG [ 3.55 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF0995.JPG
DSCF0995.JPG [ 3.45 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF0994.JPG
DSCF0994.JPG [ 3.77 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF0991.JPG
DSCF0991.JPG [ 3.63 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF0989.JPG
DSCF0989.JPG [ 3.27 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF0988.JPG
DSCF0988.JPG [ 3.51 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF0987.JPG
DSCF0987.JPG [ 3.54 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF0983.JPG
DSCF0983.JPG [ 3.78 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF0981.JPG
DSCF0981.JPG [ 3.63 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF0979.JPG
DSCF0979.JPG [ 3.46 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF0977.JPG
DSCF0977.JPG [ 3.67 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF0971.JPG
DSCF0971.JPG [ 3.59 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF0970.JPG
DSCF0970.JPG [ 3.56 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF0968.JPG
DSCF0968.JPG [ 3.68 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
DSCF0967.JPG
DSCF0967.JPG [ 3.66 MiB | Viewed 3689 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:32 pm 

more photo

Attachments:
DSCF1039.JPG
DSCF1039.JPG [ 625.5 KiB | Viewed 3683 times ]
DSCF1035.JPG
DSCF1035.JPG [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 3683 times ]
DSCF1023.JPG
DSCF1023.JPG [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 3683 times ]
DSCF1004.JPG
DSCF1004.JPG [ 1015 KiB | Viewed 3683 times ]
DSCF0998.JPG
DSCF0998.JPG [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 3683 times ]
DSCF0986.JPG
DSCF0986.JPG [ 647.46 KiB | Viewed 3683 times ]
DSCF0964.JPG
DSCF0964.JPG [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 3683 times ]
DSCF0961.JPG
DSCF0961.JPG [ 1.41 MiB | Viewed 3683 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:54 am 

Whoa grigr so many great photos! What city is that? The statues and artwork are very cool! Perhaps some of your photos are on a university campus?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:10 pm 

Thank You
These photos I made in my hometown - Cheboksary.
This day was a great holiday "Day of the City."
We walked with my wife and photographed.

(ps - only one photo taken at the university)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:24 am 

Thanks Evgeniy. I got the PAW after my business trip to Beijing.
I am very happy and proud to be on listed and be one who carry the lovely Pentultimate along to take photos.
Share with you all photo below,

- from Hong Kong

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:59 am 

Evgeniy and Calvin: Great pitures.

I have got itchy feet. I stayed several times in HK. But my last trip was in 2003. You have a new skyline.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:31 am 

calvinfan wrote:
Thanks Evgeniy. I got the PAW after my business trip to Beijing.
I am very happy and proud to be on listed and be one who carry the lovely Pentultimate along to take photos.
Share with you all photo below,

Very cool! I like how so many of your photos really capture a bustling city in motion.

It's great you took the PAW to the Avenue of Stars and took a picture with the Bruce Lee Star. My roommate from college was a huge Bruce Lee fan and he'd be so jealous.

Speaking of skyline, that has to be the brightest, busiest skyline I've even seen!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:50 am 

bmenrigh wrote:
Very cool! I like how so many of your photos really capture a bustling city in motion.
Speaking of skyline, that has to be the brightest, busiest skyline I've even seen!

We have the "A Symphony of Lights" took place in Avenue of Stars at 8:00 pm every night, last for 15 mins. This is a main sight-seeing place in Hong Kong.

Back from busy Central and Tsim Sha Tsui, below are the photo of my small village.

- from Hong Kong

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:06 am 

Next stop is to Burgo, NSW Central Coast, Australia. I have post by EMS, he will receive it soon.
More photo to share as below,
Puzzle Around the World Project - Pentultimate, Sept 2013 ( facebook full album ) :
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 971&type=1

- from Hong Kong

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:15 am 

I'm glad to see you thought to put some Oreos in there :lol: , I hope they make it through quarantine!

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:03 am 

beautifull pictures fan calvin , I'm curious to see Burgo's pictures.
Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:23 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
:shock: It would appear that no one has actually solved it?
I do hope that Burgo manages it - if he can't do it then I'd never stand a chance with it.

After the PAWP finishes, is the penultimate going to be made available on anyone's Shapeways shop?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:52 am 

It's so nice to see PAW, Calvin and Hong Kong. I had a chance to work there...

The PAW has been solved a couple of times by several people including me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:56 am 

Puzzlemad wrote:
:shock: It would appear that no one has actually solved it?
I do hope that Burgo manages it - if he can't do it then I'd never stand a chance with it.
Several people have already solved it but nobody recently.

I wouldn't be to harsh on those that haven't solved it though. People have very busy lives and it's a lot of work to go out of your way to pick something up at the post office, take photos, sign stickers, and ship the puzzle all while still doing you day-to-day activities. Adding a solve to that is just too much for most people :P .

Puzzlemad wrote:
After the PAWP finishes, is the penultimate going to be made available on anyone's Shapeways shop?

At some point in the future the puzzle will be available for purchase. I don't know when yet because I'm still focusing on getting puzzles polished and available for the project participants. If you want a Pentultimate now, TomZ has a really good 30mm to an edge Pentultimate for sale right now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:09 pm 

Would you consider offering the PAW in different shapes? I wouldn't ask except that nobody's really got an Icosamate or Cubultimate or Rhombultimate up for sale yet...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:14 pm 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
bmenrigh wrote:
If you want a Pentultimate now, TomZ has a really good 30mm to an edge Pentultimate for sale right now.

I can only find a mini Pentultimate in TomZ's shapeways shop - at 25mm it is really tiny. The only others are the multidodecahedron and open pentultimate. I guess I will need to wait until PAWP has finished.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:24 pm 

Puzzlemad wrote:
bmenrigh wrote:
If you want a Pentultimate now, TomZ has a really good 30mm to an edge Pentultimate for sale right now.

I can only find a mini Pentultimate in TomZ's shapeways shop - at 25mm it is really tiny. The only others are the multidodecahedron and open pentultimate. I guess I will need to wait until PAWP has finished.

I'd suggest PMing TomZ. He has the 30mm Pentultimate done and ready for sale. I'm not sure why he doesn't have it listed as available in his Shapeways shop.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:35 pm 

Jared wrote:
Would you consider offering the PAW in different shapes? I wouldn't ask except that nobody's really got an Icosamate or Cubultimate or Rhombultimate up for sale yet...

Eric Vergo was the designer of the 40mm PAW Pentultimate. The shape variations have been done by others and it's up to them to make the puzzles for sale.

The PAW Pentultimate was designed to be extremely durable and resist crushing, dropping, and not break even with extreme usage by many people including non-puzzlers. To achieve this, it's way over-built. Every piece is extra thick and several have internal supports to keep them rigid and durable. This makes the print price much higher than it would be if the puzzle were designed with costs in mind.

TomZ's 30mm Pentultimate is the economical way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:39 am 

I'm just sorry it came here and no one got a chance to see it. Damned work and commitments for keeping me out of the PAW project. But I love sing all the photos. Keep them coming guys. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next