Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hollywood, Baby!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:56 pm 

This has absolutely nothing to do with puzzles, but anyway...

Last summer while I was unemployed I did a little work as an extra in an Adam Sandler film, Grown Ups 2 (they were filming in my town). A new TV ad for the movie just came out, and it looks like I might actually be in the film! That's me, in a green shirt right behind Salma Hayek at the beginning of the clip:

Grown Ups 2 TV ad.

Post subject: Re: Hollywood, Baby!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:03 pm 

That's cool! 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:26 pm 

That's awesome!

Reminds me of a friend of mine who was an extra in Old School. He wasn't in the commercial, but apparently he was in a feature in Playboy. I guess he was in the infamous wrestling scene as an extra and the snapshot of the movie Playboy used in the write up had him in it. So I guess he's been in Playboy now :shock:

-d

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:48 am 

David, was that your green shirt? I've always wondered whether the studios bring clothes for extras in such normal scenes, or if they just let extras wear their own clothes. Obviously, they would bring clothes if the extras required strange Roman costumes, but just wondering in this case...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:29 am 

KelvinS wrote:
David, was that your green shirt?
It was actually my own shirt, although the studio did have clothes there. All of the extras had to go through "wardrobe", which consisted of a few people standing behind some tables with racks and racks of clothes behind them. Their job was to make sure people were wearing the appropriate attire for the scene, and if not to give them something else to put on.

There were a few hundred extras, so there was quite a line at wardrobe. Most people were being given different clothes to wear. The woman in front of me gave the wardrobe woman quite a hard time, "I'm not gonna wear that!" type of stuff for several minutes. When she was done the wardrobe woman just gave me an exhausted look and said "You're fine." And so I ended up in my own shirt.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:52 am 

Was there actually anything going on to watch while they were filming close-ups of the audience?

And did you manage to touch Adam Sandler?

OK, scratch that last question. Bit creepy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:55 am 

i once appeared in an advert for sausage rolls...i was secretly filmed bumping into and chatting to a fully clad authentic viking whilst browsing the frozen meat section in a local supermarket.I was acosted on the way out by the film crew asking permission to film me.Sadly my oscar nomination fell through so i consoled myself with an imitation plastic bafta instead. 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:03 pm 

KelvinS wrote:
OK, scratch that last question. Bit creepy.
I've never touched Adam, but I did once shake hands with George Bush Snr. when he was president. And amazingly, I was wearing ..... green underpants! I promise that one of these statements is true.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:31 pm 

KelvinS wrote:
Was there actually anything going on to watch while they were filming close-ups of the audience?
The actual stage show was filmed separately, so what it looks like is on stage was not actually happening at the same time. However, the woman in the scene was up on stage half-heartedly trying to get the "appropriate" reaction from the extras in the audience.
KelvinS wrote:
No, but he, Salma Hayek, Kevin James, and Maria Bello were just inches in front of me. Adam was the only one of the cast though who actually acknowledged the extras. He seemed very down-to-earth and friendly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:56 pm 

David Pitcher wrote:
No, but he, Salma Hayek, Kevin James, and Maria Bello were just inches in front of me. Adam was the only one of the cast though who actually acknowledged the extras. He seemed very down-to-earth and friendly.

I've actually heard from others that Adam is a pretty nice guy and grateful to others for his success. Good to hear this from another source now too. Even though some of his movies are still over the top silly, I'll still go see some of them just because of that.

-d

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:33 pm 

A friendly bump - puzzle related!

I had the chance to be an extra recently, and I have a bit of loving puzzle advice for extras: bring lots of puzzles! The other extras *love* having something to do, so it's great if you can bring some keychains and cast puzzles to stuff in your pockets, just so that there's something to pass around and fiddle with quietly between takes. Then bring a backpack stuffed with the good stuff to have off-set (you will often be waiting for a *long* time while they get ready for stuff...)

I must sincerely apologise: it was my intention to give a shout-out to you guys by sneaking a Rubik's Cube or other puzzle on set with me, but I was too intimidated by the stressed-out Production Assistants to risk it :P

KelvinS wrote:
David, was that your green shirt? I've always wondered whether the studios bring clothes for extras in such normal scenes, or if they just let extras wear their own clothes

Often, extras will be asked to bring several changes of clothes. It really depends on the number of extras needed and the scenarios (in my case, we were supposed to be students, so several logo sweaters were provided to be scattered amongst the extras). In some cases, several scenes are to be filmed in the same place, but they are set on different days, so you may have to bring several changes of clothes.

Related note/general advice: bring many small snacks, and a handful of mints (NOT gum).

So: hope that bump was forgivable.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.