Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:36 am 

Yes, cubing and cubing and more cubing...... hehehe

I don't do anything special, but at first I always go more slower. I can't go ''fast'' till I hot and I have done some cubes......

Well, I only do one thing, but not specially for the cube. I always ''crack'' my fingers hehehee. People hate hearing it.......

:):)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:48 am 

yeah1 I have seen it a long time ago. I learned doing it and then showed it to my mum. She liked a lot...... eheheh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:23 am 

warm up before speed cubing, solve it a few times slowly, and always cube in warm places, nothing worse than pushing your muscles when they are cold,

also, having a loose and lubed cube helps prevent cube thumb

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:57 am 

rastarubik wrote:
I always ''crack'' my fingers hehehee.

I've read recently that this can stretch the ligaments, and may weaken your grip eventually. (Some people say that it causes arthritis, too, but apparently that is a myth.)

If you get pain in the wrists (this used to be a problem for me, though it wasn't caused by cubing), you can easily train yourself to cube without bending them: make your fingers do the work instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:26 pm 

well the theory behind the arthiritis from cracking your fingers is plausable,

that cracking sound is your joints separating, this causing some of the lubrication fluid in your joints to seep out, too much of this and no lubricant in your joints, (and no you cant dismantle your fingers and silicone them))

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:50 pm 

Asside from the fact that you stress the joints a little, is there any published information about what consequences there are to "cracking" your joints?
I've only ever heard the "old wives tales"; not to say that it can't be true, just to say its annecdotal.

I try to avoid tension in my hands when solving, loose grip, and fluid movement.
I've found the cube helpful when I have stiff hands, unlike those squeeze/stress balls that require a lot of tension to squeeze.

Long (loose) ligaments may be one of the reasons that some of us can crack almost any jointand others don't crack any joints at all.
(fingers, thumbs, toes, left elbow, back, neck, left knee, occasional right knee, ankles, hip and very rarely a shoulder)

I don't twist the joints all out of whack; when I feel a certain kind of pressure in my knee, I flex my leg and the knee will crack, spreading the joint fluid back into place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:05 pm 

i think they did a written report a few years back, i heard it on the radio or something

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:13 pm 

AndrewSeven wrote:

(fingers, thumbs, toes, left elbow, back, neck, left knee, occasional right knee, ankles, hip and very rarely a shoulder)

Have you ever heard of cracking chest. I do that now and then when I'm tired and stretched. Boy does that fell good!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:43 am 

AndrewSeven wrote:
Asside from the fact that you stress the joints a little, is there any published information about what consequences there are to "cracking" your joints?
I've only ever heard the "old wives tales"; not to say that it can't be true, just to say its annecdotal.

Some papers are cited at the end of this article:

http://elfstrom.com/arthritis/knuckle-cracking.html

I've read none of them. ;)
Quote:
Long (loose) ligaments may be one of the reasons that some of us can crack almost any jointand others don't crack any joints at all.

Quite possibly. Even if it is shown that there is a correlation between "loose" ligaments and knuckle-cracking, this doesn't prove that knuckle-cracking was the cause.