Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:03 pm
Hi Twisty Puzzles fans,

Eight Inch Bolt is a 21 centimeter high bolt-shaped puzzle. The object is to remove the ring from the bolt. Because of pins and grooves, the ring can only slide up and down, it cannot turn. Hidden inside the ring, there is a smaller ring with a pin that runs in the maze grooves. By moving the big ring up and down, the hidden right turns sideways, pushed by the grooves. When the maze is solved by moving the ring up and down many times in a delicate sequence, it comes off at the top.

The model on the photos was 3D-printed by George Miller in 2004. This first prototype has a red top, as George ran out of black ABS wire midway his print. George also added a ruler, which indicates the solution.

Another copy of this puzzle is on permanent display at the Kinsey Institute in Bloomington, Indiana.

Watch the YouTube video.
Buying information here.

Check out the photos below.

Enjoy!

Oskar
Attachment:
Bolt-v2a---view-01.png
Bolt-v2a---view-01.png [ 217.05 KiB | Viewed 6687 times ]

Attachment:
Bolt-v2a---view-02.png
Bolt-v2a---view-02.png [ 148.55 KiB | Viewed 6687 times ]

Attachment:
Bolt-v2a---view-03.png
Bolt-v2a---view-03.png [ 171.49 KiB | Viewed 6687 times ]

Attachment:
Bolt-v2a---view-04.png
Bolt-v2a---view-04.png [ 205.01 KiB | Viewed 6687 times ]

Attachment:
Bolt-v2a---view-05.png
Bolt-v2a---view-05.png [ 266.39 KiB | Viewed 6687 times ]

Attachment:
Bolt-v2a---view-06.png
Bolt-v2a---view-06.png [ 230.02 KiB | Viewed 6687 times ]

Attachment:
Bolt-v2a---view-07.png
Bolt-v2a---view-07.png [ 143.23 KiB | Viewed 6687 times ]

Attachment:
Bolt-v2a---view-08.png
Bolt-v2a---view-08.png [ 240.71 KiB | Viewed 6687 times ]

Attachment:
Bolt-v2a---view-09.png
Bolt-v2a---view-09.png [ 303.65 KiB | Viewed 6687 times ]

Attachment:
Sex Objects 3.jpg
Sex Objects 3.jpg [ 192.62 KiB | Viewed 6687 times ]

_________________
Oskar's home page, YouTube, Shapeways Shop, Puzzlemaster, and fan club
Image.


Last edited by Oskar on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA
I'm speechless about the look of this puzzle...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:48 am 
Online

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:01 am
schuma wrote:
I'm speechless about the look of this puzzle...


Are we both thinking the same thing...?

_________________
My YouTube, including a FF Siamese 2x2x2 Walkthrough


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:56 am
Location: The Netherlands
The three of us are..

That is SOME toy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:51 pm
Location: Bedford, England
Woah...err...yeah.....thats...errr...interesting.

I'm not sure if i should watch the video or not!

_________________
My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/martywolfman?feature=plcp

Latest videos: Unboxing / Review of Curvy copter Plus, David Gear Cube, Octo-star Cube


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:56 am
Location: The Netherlands
I just watched it..

up.. down.. up..

I must say: ingenious thing that locking! I have to hand you that but.. Oskar.. this.. in the States? Eh? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
Very nice puzzle.
Sometimes I wish this was an adults only forum so I could reply properly (or improperly). All I will say is that Sigmund Freud would have a field day with this and that includes the video!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:24 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:01 am
Do you think this is why Oskar didn't present it himself personally?

_________________
My YouTube, including a FF Siamese 2x2x2 Walkthrough


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:30 pm
Location: New York
I wasn't gonna watch the video but...I did... :shock: and omg!
(was the cat really in the video?)

_________________
8/22/2012
Image
My Collection
Youtube Channel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:17 pm
Hahahahahahahaha - Kinsey - hahahahahaha...

Thank you Oskar - I have not laughed so much for a long time - I had to check the date!

I have some questions:

Roughly how long does it take to solve?
How long does it take to solve roughly?
Will there be a Master and Professor version?
Can you ship internationally?

I apologise and will immediately go and clean my mind...

_________________
Only small minds want always to be right


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:56 am
Location: The Netherlands
*hands you a tissue*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:14 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Not to try and shaft anyone else's thoughts, but I think this is a very striking puzzle! So nice in fact that I would be inclined to stand erect and applaud.

It almost seems a bit like George cocked up a bit when he ran out of black material for the tip of the puzzle, but it certainly does add something to the overall thrust of the design.

I think if I ever owned one of these I'd have to give a few of my other shelf puzzles the shaft and clear some space next to those two Gear Balls I have, I think it would fit in there nicely.

_________________
Q: How many puzzles does a collector need in their collection?
A: Just one more.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:03 pm
oxymoronicuber wrote:
Roughly how long does it take to solve?
How long does it take to solve roughly?
Will there be a Master and Professor version?
Can you ship internationally?
17 moves.
A minute when you know the solution, much longer to solve the maze.
No.
Yes.

Oskar

_________________
Oskar's home page, YouTube, Shapeways Shop, Puzzlemaster, and fan club
Image.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
My wife would love this. I might keep the ring for myself.

P.S. I have a sneaking feeling the video might go viral.

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA
Oskar wrote:
oxymoronicuber wrote:
Roughly how long does it take to solve?
How long does it take to solve roughly?
Will there be a Master and Professor version?
Can you ship internationally?
17 moves.
A minute when you know the solution, much longer to solve the maze.
No.
Yes.

Oskar


I bet it can be solved faster if I lubricate it. I'll apply a lot of lub


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:56 am
Grow up guys...
Now does it come in sugar?

_________________
"A man who never made a mistake...never made anything."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:37 am
Location: Waco, TX and South Bend, IN
Gulp... Eight whole inches? Suddenly my puzzles seem... Inadequate.

Chris

_________________
Oskar wrote:
John F. Kennedy said: "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." One of those other things may have been building the 17x17x17.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:27 pm
Thanks for this, Oskar. I have not laughed like that in ages! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
Gentlemen (and ladies!):

Such a lively topic! I have appreciated all these posts and only make a humble request that everyone keep in mind the varying ages of our community (be subtle) and steer clear of anything that would force a poor Admin to be hard on a member.

Dave

_________________
Image
LitwinPuzzles.com has info on my puzzles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:38 pm
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Why are the professors of the Kinsey Instute considering this as a ... object?
(see Oskar's picture above)

This is just a game, no playing around, isn't it? :lol:

A steel version would be a nice variant....
Oh, and maybe it's something for Shapeways' new 'rubber-like' material... :lol: :lol:

_________________
Maybe I'm amazed... Mfave's puzzle shop | Burgh Lock trick-lock, Splinter's amazing Shapeways shop, my E-book, maze overview page (Dutch)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:25 pm
Location: Finland
How much does this weigh on the Kinsey scale?

I can't remember giggling this much at any other topic here.

_________________
My pen-and-paper puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 2:56 pm
Location: New York
Oskar,
All innuendos (in-your-end-o's?) aside, great puzzle!

-Doug

_________________
My Youtube Channel of Custom Twisty Puzzles!
Recent videos: Master Axis Cube | 4x4x2 Solve | 3x3x3 Triangular Prism


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Jarrow, England
Attachment:
File comment: Finbarr says
Finbarr.jpg
Finbarr.jpg [ 105.29 KiB | Viewed 6076 times ]

_________________
My Shapeways Shop: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/gus_shop

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:51 pm
Location: Bedford, England
HAHA! I used to love Viz :D

_________________
My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/martywolfman?feature=plcp

Latest videos: Unboxing / Review of Curvy copter Plus, David Gear Cube, Octo-star Cube


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
A puzzle which is a... stimulation for the body and the mind.

:mrgreen:


Pantazis

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: Farmington, NM
Am I the only person who didn't laugh at this?

Also, why is the tip of the puzzle red?

Either way, it's good to see this puzzle remade. How many more puzzles from the original PuzzlePalace website do you plan to remake and put on Shapeways?

_________________
Autism Speaks can go away. I have Autism. I can speak for myself.

"You say tomater, I zader matermorts." - Coach Z


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
Jorbs3210 wrote:
Am I the only person who didn't laugh at this?

I laughed my head off, because there's nothing funnier than a puzzle that looks like a big black lighthouse. :D

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: Munich, Germany
Outrageously funny!

Roberto

_________________
Roberto Avanzi
I do mathematics. I like it cool and applied.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:38 pm
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Sometimes on this forum there are complaints from wifes about the size of a puzzle collection.
But I'm quite positive this puzzle can have an outstanding appreciation though and should be added for this reason to a collection. A real favorite!

Good job, Oskar!

PS Do I see correctly on Shapeways that this puzzle is massive? And not hollowed inside?
Personally, for me (as M-engineer) the nut may look more like a nut in hexagonal shape: better representation of a nut and better grip. The slit on the bottom is a nice detail for screwing the bolt with a (very large) screwdriver.

_________________
Maybe I'm amazed... Mfave's puzzle shop | Burgh Lock trick-lock, Splinter's amazing Shapeways shop, my E-book, maze overview page (Dutch)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:03 pm
Splinter wrote:
Do I see correctly on Shapeways that this puzzle is massive? And not hollowed inside?
No, the bolt and ring are both hollow with lots of trapped powder inside. The price of the puzzle correlates to the sheer surface volume of the puzzle.

Oskar

_________________
Oskar's home page, YouTube, Shapeways Shop, Puzzlemaster, and fan club
Image.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
"Its made so its hard to get it off." Oskar... I sure hope you didn't script that review.

I wasn't expecting Shapeways to censor the picture... but that video is priceless. How she made that review with a strait face is beyond me.

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:23 pm
I'm glad that most people here can see it for what it is - an ingenious puzzle combined with a touch of risque humour.

So refreshing from all the hate and bashing that has spread around youtube indirectly because of it. :)

_________________
For Jasmine Rose... Happy 2nd Birthday in Heaven, 2nd Dec 2013 xxx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:38 pm
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
heiowge wrote:
I'm glad that most people here can see it for what it is - an ingenious puzzle combined with a touch of risque humour.

So refreshing from all the hate and bashing that has spread around youtube indirectly because of it. :)

Tuesday I picked up some Burgh Lock parts at Shapeways (Eindhoven), and their service desk received quite some mails requesting to "cover up" the picture of this puzzle. (Probably also asking to remove the puzzle completely; I don't know the exact content of course. This part is my speculation)

I remember there was a statement in this thread towards Shapeways (now removed?), but you may see where actions regarding this puzzle are coming from.
To keep the laughter, let me announce Oskar's next puzzle:

Oskar's Toy
:mrgreen:

_________________
Maybe I'm amazed... Mfave's puzzle shop | Burgh Lock trick-lock, Splinter's amazing Shapeways shop, my E-book, maze overview page (Dutch)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:14 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Splinter wrote:
Tuesday I picked up some Burgh Lock parts at Shapeways (Eindhoven), and their service desk received quite some mails requesting to "cover up" the picture of this puzzle. (Probably also asking to remove the puzzle completely; I don't know the exact content of course. This part is my speculation)

I can't imagine what there is to complain about to be honest.

Just says something about the minds of the people doing the complaining I guess. I see a puzzle, they must see something else that I don't. :wink:

_________________
Q: How many puzzles does a collector need in their collection?
A: Just one more.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
Paradox wrote:
I can't imagine what there is to complain about to be honest.

Just says something about the minds of the people doing the complaining I guess. I see a puzzle, they must see something else that I don't. :wink:

Yes, apparently some people can be very offended by puzzles. :?

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:56 am
Location: The Netherlands
Then I am offended by the axis cube.. if that is scrambled and you sit on it it HURTS!

Best remove that too then, lest it harms children ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
Kattenvriendin wrote:
Then I am offended by the axis cube.. if that is scrambled and you sit on it it HURTS!

Best remove that too then, lest it harms children ;)

To be fair, I would rather sit on a scrambled axis cube than Oskar's 8 inch bolt. :shock:

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:11 am
Location: Oregon, USA
I brought a copy of 8 Inch Bolt to my office, but eventually took it away because mischievous co-workers kept devising obscene ways to display it. (eg: violating office furniture) Mine doesn't have the red tip, but it still takes effort to downplay the phallic overtones. For a previous thread I photographed it in this awkward orientation just because it didn't look offensive that way:

Image


In another incident, my copy of Oskar's Cooksey Tribute C was mysteriously detained by customs. When I inquired, the shipper said the package had been X-rayed during a random compliance check, and had been detained because it "didn't appear to be exactly the kind of toy declared on the customs form." (Emphasis added.) The shipper said it wasn't suspected-contraband or anything like that, they just needed to verify the declaration was accurate before it could be released from detention. Was it detained because of the phallic shape? What kind of toy did they think it might be, hmm?

_________________
See my blog about 3D printing puzzles at MySD300


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Jarrow, England
I see that memyselfandpi has posted a video which urges people to to try to get Oskar's video censored because he finds it offensive. I don't think he is joking. Also, crazybadcuber has posted a video response to it.

_________________
My Shapeways Shop: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/gus_shop

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
Gus wrote:
I see that memyselfandpi has posted a video which urges people to to try to get Oskar's video censored because he finds it offensive.

Yes and using a thumbnail that looks far more obscene than anything in Oskar's video.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
Tony Fisher wrote:
Gus wrote:
I see that memyselfandpi has posted a video which urges people to to try to get Oskar's video censored because he finds it offensive.

Yes and using a thumbnail that looks far more obscene than anything in Oskar's video.

I already flagged memyselfandpi's video on that basis.

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:54 pm
Location: Bay Area, California
Gus wrote:
I see that memyselfandpi has posted a video which urges people to to try to get Oskar's video censored because he finds it offensive. I don't think he is joking. Also, crazybadcuber has posted a video response to it.

I think the Eight Inch Bolt is great and Oskar's video presentation of it is well done too.

I don't think MeMyselfAndPi understands that by rallying against the puzzle he's reinforcing the entertainment value of it. If the Eight Inch Bolt weren't borderline offensive or controversial it'd be much less appealing.

Keep up the good work, Oskar :-)

_________________
Prior to using my real name I posted under the account named bmenrigh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
bmenrigh wrote:
I don't think MeMyselfAndPi understands that by rallying against the puzzle he's reinforcing the entertainment value of it. If the Eight Inch Bolt weren't borderline offensive or controversial it'd be much less appealing.

I don't think he actually cares, and is only interested in promoting himself and his own video by adding another layer of controversy. Don't feed the trolls!

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:56 am
Location: The Netherlands
From what I understand by a post on CBCs facebook the content limitation got lifted.

He posted this: "YouTube has reviewed Oskars 8 inch bolt video and released its age restriction on it. YouTube does not find anything in the video that violates youtubes terms and conditions" (it's a public post, so).

GOOD!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
Kattenvriendin wrote:
From what I understand by a post on CBCs facebook the content limitation got lifted.

He posted this: "YouTube has reviewed Oskars 8 inch bolt video and released its age restriction on it. YouTube does not find anything in the video that violates youtubes terms and conditions" (it's a public post, so).

GOOD!!!!

Justice! If it was ebay though Oskar would have been banned since Usaine Bolt is probably considered a brand name now.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
Gus wrote:
I see that memyselfandpi has posted a video which urges people to to try to get Oskar's video censored because he finds it offensive. I don't think he is joking. Also, crazybadcuber has posted a video response to it.
Ouch!!! I'm a big fan of Oskar's videos and I'm subscribed to memyselfandpi too. Though I just learned of this response video from this thread. First I don't believe Oskar set out to make a video full of sexual innuendo. He set out to make a puzzle... that is what Oskar does. Keep in mind this puzzle was made back in 2004 and I suspect the reason he's (don't say sat on it) sat on it this long (Arg!!! what did I just say? you never listen to yourself do you) was he wanted to be totally professional about its presentation and was aware of its... let's say awkward appearance. I suspect he felt his niece could give it a more professional presentation then he could and I think she did an excellent job (Nope... its one thing to make an off color comment about Oskar... but let's not go there with regard to the niece).

So I actually think Oskar made a great and original puzzle and that his niece made a very nice presentation of it. The fact that memyselfandpi sees sexual innuendo in that video I think tells you more about the mind of the viewer then the creator. Though granted my mind is in the gutter half the time too so I can't fault memyselfandpi for that part of it. Its the desire to push that opinion on others that bothers me.

My advice to memyselfandpi... you are welcome to believe what you may. You are welcome to take down your Oskar parody video for your own reasons... you put it up you have control over it. But I'd take down this response video... the puzzle and the presentation are all very professional... even all of Oskar's replies that I've seen Oskar make are more professional than I'm able to be in this post which I think says a lot about his character.

And my advice to Oskar... leave your video up and be proud of it.

I hope this comes to a happy ending. (Oh really... you are one sick sick puppy do you know that?)

No I was serious... I hope memyselfandpi is able to see this for the puzzle that it is and not let it affect his appreciation of Oskar's puzzles. (Ok... my bad...)

CBC's reply video is too funny.

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
wwwmwww wrote:
Gus wrote:
I see that memyselfandpi has posted a video which urges people to to try to get Oskar's video censored because he finds it offensive. I don't think he is joking. Also, crazybadcuber has posted a video response to it.
Ouch!!! I'm a big fan of Oskar's videos and I'm subscribed to memyselfandpi too. Though I just learned of this response video from this thread. First I don't believe Oskar set out to make a video full of sexual innuendo. He set out to make a puzzle... that is what Oskar does. Keep in mind this puzzle was made back in 2004 and I suspect the reason he's (don't say sat on it) sat on it this long (Arg!!! what did I just say? you never listen to yourself do you) was he wanted to be totally professional about its presentation and was aware of its... let's say awkward appearance. I suspect he felt his niece could give it a more professional presentation then he could and I think she did an excellent job (Nope... its one thing to make an off color comment about Oskar... but let's not go there with regard to the niece).

So I actually think Oskar made a great and original puzzle and that his niece made a very nice presentation of it. The fact that memyselfandpi sees sexual innuendo in that video I think tells you more about the mind of the viewer then the creator. Though granted my mind is in the gutter half the time too so I can't fault memyselfandpi for that part of it. Its the desire to push that opinion on others that bothers me.

My advice to memyselfandpi... you are welcome to believe what you may. You are welcome to take down your Oskar parody video for your own reasons... you put it up you have control over it. But I'd take down this response video... the puzzle and the presentation are all very professional... even all of Oskar's replies that I've seen Oskar make are more professional than I'm able to be in this post which I think says a lot about his character.

And my advice to Oskar... leave your video up and be proud of it.

I hope this comes to a happy ending. (Oh really... you are one sick sick puppy do you know that?)

No I was serious... I hope memyselfandpi is able to see this for the puzzle that it is and not let it affect his appreciation of Oskar's puzzles. (Ok... my bad...)

CBC's reply video is too funny.

Carl


From this post I assume you believe the story about the red end? I think it is a serious puzzle that happened to look the way it does and Oskar took full advantage of that fact in the way it was coloured and presented. I applaud Oskar for doing that and showing his humorous side though I believe it was very close to backfiring.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:44 pm
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
I do think there are two points of views here (or maybe more) so that is my personal resumed opinion:

First we need to understand how an artist express his will, in this matter, any artist can use different themes for his inspiration, or collection, or to work for some time... In portuguese we call 'motivos' = 'motif or motive' so i translated as "themes" sorry for my poor vocabulary. Anyway, Oskar he took a theme that involve a sexual appel, a "phallic symbol"... This is fairy, no problem with that, anyone can choose any theme, it is a klever puzzle from this mechanical conception and just look like a male member.

Second we need to understand that the young outraged boy, he felt betrayed by someone that is considered important in a specific community, he is proud about his skills with puzzles as a way to increase his self-estime, that is natural in his age, to look for something to be good and get more self-estime, so maybe, (i am just supposing here) twisty puzzles can be seen by some people as 'nerd toys' or meant for be used by extremelly intellectual people, in this case, this sexual "theme" to it's appearance can be judged as 'depreciative' to the whole puzzle world 'good moral image'.

It is really a complicated matter but, most of all countries has laws to avoid under age people to get "sexual content" on the internet, i do not know the ages of the youths involved, and also the laws involved. Here at Brazil anyone can import puzzles with no difficult for personal use, but many cosmetics that can call kids attentions are phorbidden to be imported as they need to be approved by the goverment first, and that include "the powerpuf girls nail paint line" even being something completly harmless...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
There is also the possibility that Oskar doesn't take himself so seriously, and decided to do this because (1) he comes from one of the most liberal countries and cultures in the world when it comes to sexual expression; (2) he finds it funny; (3) he knew that it might offend some people, but also realizes this is the best (only?) way to generate lots of free publicity; and (4) why the hell not?

If it was me, I would do the same, and I wouldn't care if a few people took offense. I find it amazing that there's so much fuss about this puzzle!

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
Tony Fisher wrote:
From this post I assume you believe the story about the red end?
Maybe I'm being naive but I'd say yes. I prefer to give everyone the benifit of the doubt until they give me reason not to. The alternative here is to assume Oskar lied (and yes maybe he did... considering the topic I can see why he might) but his story is certainly plausible so why doubt it?
Tony Fisher wrote:
I think it is a serious puzzle that happened to look the way it does and Oskar took full advantage of that fact in the way it was coloured and presented. I applaud Oskar for doing that and showing his humorous side though I believe it was very close to backfiring.
My only problem here is we are making a lot of assumptions about Oskar's intent. If they were as you say I don't understand why he waited nearly a decade to present this puzzle? Seems like a long time to wait to generate some "free publicity" (quoting KelvinS) if that was his sole reason for making and presenting this puzzle.

So why read more into what his motives were then trusting simply what was stated... which all felt very porfesional to me? To me it seems like the "adult" reaction is to simply see this puzzle as a puzzle and to move on. Granted I've failed at that myself and feel like I've resorted to juvenile humor... but can anyone other then Oskar say if that was the intent or not? And from Oskar's standpoint he's probably best just to not say anything. Those that have an opinion have already made it and I'm not sure they'd believe anything else at this point.

Just my 2 cents...
Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group