Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Most satisfying solve
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:35 pm 

Watching youtube videos and reading twisty puzzle forum posts, it is very easy to see that there are very talented individuals that are able to solve such intricate masterpieces. I am curious which puzzle was the most satisfying to solve for everyone and see if there is a common theme among the community. In addition, which puzzle do you find you twist more than anything else. Lets try to stick with physical puzzles.
Being rather new (and poor lol) my most satisfying solve was the square-1. The square-1 was very intimidating for myself and for 3 weeks I just couldn't figure it out, then all of a sudden it clicked.
My most enjoyable puzzle is definitely the 4x4x4 cube. Yes, that may seem boring but I always find myself finding new commutators and applying them to other puzzles and along with parity it just the best!

Post subject: Re: Most satisfying solve
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:33 am 

I also enjoyed the Square-1 as it was pretty different (both shape solving then full solving).
Perhaps the most satisfying was my first solve of the Rotascope puzzle. It took a lot of playing around to find some transforms, and even now I can't remember that first solution.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:26 am 

I'm not a very talented solver, so my most satisfying solve was the 3x3x5. It was more satisfying when I noticed other people having parity problems while I didn't.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:14 am 

I've had many exceptionally satisfying solves.

The first time I solved the 3x3x3x3 it took me almost 12 hours (with macros!). I was more satisfied when I solved the 5x5x5x5 because I felt like that was the pinnacle of 4D achievement.

The first time I solved a Multi-Dodecahedron (on a computer before there was a simulator or physical version of it) felt great.

When I solved the Complex 3x3x3 is was the culmination of a huge amount of work finding routines and planning the solve. I wish somebody else would try to solve it. I'd love to compare notes.

When I solve Eric Vergo's Unbandaged Rhomdo it took me 9 hours and was the hardest physical solve I'd ever done.

I think whenever a solve pushes your boundaries or seems very hard but you finally succeed you get a great feeling of satisfaction.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:05 am 

When i first solved the 3x3 after many years of half hearted attempts.That felt great ,however my greatest moment was solving the teraminx with no help from anyone or by using you tube for example.I solved the whole thing by just looking at it and mentaly moving cubies in my head.I was overbearingly smug for weeks..... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:36 am 

The Square-1 was the first puzzle I stumbled upon. It didn't occur to me at the time that you could look up a solution so I solved it without any help. If it wasn't for that I would probably care less about twisty puzzles.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:23 am 

3x3x3 by far. Two of the most intense, obsessive, rewarding, mind stretching days (and nights) of my life. I tried to capture that buzz with later puzzles but never managed it. If there is an opposite to traumatised then that's the effect it had on me.
BTW shouldn't this be under Solving Puzzles?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:54 am 

[Moderator: I have moved the thread to the Solving Forum, thanks for the hint Tony.]

member Konrad: The 3x3x3 was my first twisty puzzle and it took 14 days until I had solved it the first time. It was deep in the night, my wife was sleeping, our oldest daughter was just born and I was not sure if I could ever repeat it :) It was an incredible feeling.
Another solve that sticks in my memory: Tom's Multidodecahedron. My first solve got corrupted 5 pieces left to solve.
I was very concentrated and very frightened to mix it up again during my second successful attempt. What a relief and joy!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:02 am 

To me I think it'll be the Meffert's Mosaic Cube. I'll feel guilty to say, most of my solving experience in early period, I just searched the solving method in the internet & tried to remember the step. That's the time I'm still like to speedsolving. Eventually I realized that this is not what a Rubik's cube means to. I should try to solve a cube myself! And the time comes to when I bought the Mosaic cube. It's very easy all of you know that, And I first had the happiness & satisfication of solving a puzzle by myself only!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:55 am 

I think that the most satisfying solve for me was either the 3x3x3 or the Gigaminx. I don't have a gigaminx but when I went to a competition, I had the chance to solve one. It was cool because for about every other puzzle that I've solved, I had to watch a tutorial. The Gigaminx however, I solved just by figuring it out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:11 am 

My most statisfying solves were: The Starminx (needed only little help for the exchanging of the startips on the last layer)
My overlapping 3x3x5 ( not because it was hard but because it was very much fun)
The 4x4x4 Octahedron ( its a very confusing super cube and it was difficult to not lose perspective)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:11 am 

I'll be alone here, but the Master Magic puzzle was probably my most satisfying solve. I did it in Junior High (Middle School) after school by mapping out the different transforms on paper.

I also really love the Skewb. It's just a satisfying solve to me. It lies right on that edge of intuition and memorization for me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:46 pm 

Probably the 3x3. I was always determined to solve it, because all of my friends could solve it in minutes. I eventually bought one and solved it. :solved: (took me a long time) I eventually wanted to find out how to solve it fast so i could impress my friends. But it turned out that my rubik's brand cube was insufficient. So the cycle kept on going and going, and now i have a collection of cubes. But even though i have very fun puzzles such as the square 1, the 3x3 was still my most enjoyable solve. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:22 pm 

When I had just started with puzzles, a kid who went to school with me brought a pyraminx that he couldn't solve for his life. I had never held one before, but I solved it in a short minute before it was my stop and the whole bus cheered. It was very satisfying.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:16 am 

First time I solved my ghost cube without the ruben king colour scheme as that made the cube too easy. It was incredibly satisfying for me and still is when I solve it now!

3x3:27.34
4x4: 2:21
Rubiks Clock: 23sec
Floppy Cube: 4.5sec
2x2: 8.64sec (single)
2x2: 11.78(Average of 5)
Magic-0.91 (Single)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:36 pm 

I have had several satisfying solves:
Solving Oskar's Even Less Gears was very satisfying knowing I was one of the very few people in the world that had solved it.

The Vulcano was the first puzzle I solved on my own (without looking up tutorials or algorithms).

My Master Square-1 took me around 5 hours and was the hardest puzzle I had ever solved on my own. It was really special because I figured out how to solve brand new parity cases that went along with it :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:48 pm 

Master Magic for me as well. A friend was over for a sleepover back in the 80s, and we were just messing around with it, and learned what I ended up calling "that one move". No books, no guides, nothing. It's trivial now, but we were so happy that we could do it. Once we figured out that move, solving was just a matter of rolling the tiles to the right position first.

Needless to say, when I got the 5 ring version soon afterwards, it was no challenge in the slightest. I had it solved in minutes of pulling it out of the package. hehe.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:01 pm 

The Dayan Bermuda Cube Jupiter has to be my most satisfying solve. It was frustrating to say the least. Choosing the correct side to be the top layer became my biggest issue, and the set up moves for the top layer also took hours to figure out. However, after four days the final turn was made and it was complete. Never have I felt so accomplished.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:32 am 

TomZ and Calvin Puzzle's 4x4x6 checkered (blue). I had never solved anything larger than 3x3x3 and I wanted to try solving this cuboid using only intuition. What I liked most is that there are so many different parts of the puzzle that require slightly different methods and that those parts are of somewhat similar difficulty. I don't think I would've enjoyed the regular stickered version of the puzzle, but maybe someone who already have experience with cuboids and 4x4x4 will find the checkered version of the 4x4x6 too easy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:15 pm 

As for physical puzzles, I think my most satisfying was the F-Skewb because I built it. I was actually afraid to scramble it for a few days because I don't like solving the skewb, but fortunately the F-Skewb is easier for me. Back when I did speedsolving, my favorite was 4x4x4. It's a good mix of complexity/challenge and solving time. I didn't like the 5x5x5 because I get bored solving the centers and edge groups.

For virtual puzzles, definitely the edge-turning cubes. When I did the Little Chop for the first time, it was considered a very hard puzzle and few others had done it, so that was satisfying. I also enjoyed the QuadX (GelatinBrain 3.3.3).

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:33 am 

The most satisfying solve I can remember is PuzzleMaestro's 3x5x7. When I received it I was not sure at all that I could solve it, and it did take me a while to decide on an order to the steps that I was pretty sure were necessary. I could not help but brag about the solve to a couple of people that could not have cared less about it, but they were there, and I was excited :lol: !

As for which puzzle I turn the most? Probably TomZ's 4x5x6. It's just so smooth!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:56 am 

Square-One.

Nuff said.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:23 pm 

Personally I'd have to say the shengshou pyraminx. It is both aesthetically and visually pleasing in my opinion

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:26 am 

I had some very satisfying solves recently, mostly because I did them without significant external additional help - in some cases I reused and adapted the occasional algorithm suggested by other people for other puzzles - such as reusing a 2x3x4 3-cycle on the 3x4x5. I made the "mistake" to look up Konrad's 2x3x4 3-cycle of edges while I was waiting for my extra split edges to arrive (to fix the "inner bandaged" 2x3x4) and, well, at that point you just reuse that knowledge...

These were the 3x4x5, the FTO, and the mixup plus 3x3x3.

In particular, the Mixup Plus 3x3x3 was a lot of fun.

For the parity I basically do a eight turn of the E slice and then fix the layer, by cycling two E layer center/edge with the one on FU, doing another eight turn of E, then the inverse 3-cycle. And so on. I observe that this is very similar to what others do.

But the key is that I found my way to solve the inner edges: I swap pairs of inner edges using a simple [U',R][F,R'] algorithm. If I want to swap two inner edges, I place them at the opposite ones of a center (such as to the L and R of the F center, i.e. at positions FL and FR), I do a eight turn of the middle slice (E+) and then swap the corresponding new edge. With a bit of setup I swap and reorient pairs of inner edges with the same 2 commutators. So I am basically using no algorithms except for the regular 3x3x3 stage, which is used (simplified) to determine parity problems first, and then again for doing the final solve. Finding that solution was very, very satisfying!

In other words, to me, the most satisfying solves are the ones where I use my own brain most.

Roberto

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:24 pm 

Either teraminx or the mefferts morph egg. They are just so fun even to look at, let alone solve.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:26 pm 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Praise the ..... Insert name of whichever deity you fancy!

i have finally solved the Bauhinia dodecahedron!!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Despite dismantling it, sanding the sharp edges and reassembling it with plenty of lube, it still turned like hell! In fact as a puzzle I have to say that I absolutely loathe it. The mental challenge was amazing but the whole experience awful! I very much doubt I will ever scramble it again.

The sheer exhilaration of finally putting this one to rest is amazing! Now I need to rest. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:36 pm 

Congratulations on the solve!! Very well done! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:54 pm 

Puzzlemad wrote:
Praise the ..... Insert name of whichever deity you fancy!

i have finally solved the Bauhinia dodecahedron!!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Despite dismantling it, sanding the sharp edges and reassembling it with plenty of lube, it still turned like hell! In fact as a puzzle I have to say that I absolutely loathe it. The mental challenge was amazing but the whole experience awful! I very much doubt I will ever scramble it again.

The sheer exhilaration of finally putting this one to rest is amazing! Now I need to rest. :lol:

Really? Mine moves extremely well after I removed the excess plastic. Do you think that maybe the Ice Purple plastic moves better than the regular plastic?

Also, congratulations! I celebrated so much when I solved mine, it was a great feeling!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:24 am 

My most satisfying solve recently was the calvin's TomZ 4x4x6.

Purely as I sat down with it and logically went through the puzzle without using online help. and making use of the way I solve my 5x5x9 witeden cube and my own intuition I had it solved within 15 minutes of buying it....which was also my most disappointing solve thinking about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:28 am 

I've had a few solves that just felt incredible, mostly because I did them without any additional help, only my previous puzzle knowledge.

The first time I solved my square-2 and Smaz's Time Machine were both great feelings. Smaz's Dino Cylinder, albeit simple was also a good feeling just because of how much fun it is.

More recently I managed to solve my 4x4 octahedron face by face without any help, that felt incredible! I've also started solving my 4x4 by reducing it to a 2x2,not only a great challenge but a lot of fun. Oh! And just last night I solved my 8x8 by reducing it to a 2x2. It took about an hour but was a great feeling, fun too!