Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dismantling MF8 Starminx II with glued caps
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:43 pm 

Hi i got my mf8 Starminx II (ice purple) and it is a lot of fun. It is breaking in and was able to put some silicon spray inside. It turns decently, the acute triangles tend to catch a bit. It is a very nice puzzle.

However, the center caps seem to be glued to the, well, other part of the center (I have seen a disassembled Starminx II), because they do not come off even with GREAT effort. And I do not want to break the puzzle.

So… what do i do to disassemble it?

Roberto

Post subject: Re: Dismantling MF8 Starminx II with glued caps
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:20 pm 

I don't know what glue they used but I'd suggest trying to soak them (the whole puzzle in necessary) in a hydrocarbon solvent. Lighter fluid or petrol or "mineral spirits" or "white spirit" or "petroleum spirits" are all hydrocarbon solvents that should weaken or completely dissolve the glue without affecting the plastic. From what I gather it's called "Testbenzin" in German.

Of course, there are glues they could have used where this won't work at all. Force may be needed in that case.

Don't use acetone or any other ketone solvent as it will destroy the plastic.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:22 pm 

Another thought that comes to mind is to freeze the puzzle. If the shrinkage doesn't break the glue bonds, drop the frozen puzzle in a sink full of very hot water (60 - 70 C). The rapid expansion will likely break the glue bonds.

If that doesn't work, submerge the puzzle in a flexible container (plastic) filled with water and freeze it. The expansion of the water as it freezes should force the caps off provided water is able to get into every crevice. I worry this could damage some other hollow parts though so only do this if the above doesn't work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:16 pm 

I have one too and I had no problem disassembling it. You can turn a layer 36 degrees and then lift up the edge pieces slowly, and it should come apart.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:17 am 

Thank you for all the answers. Before trying submerging in water (then he screws will start to rust and so on) i will try the trick of turning a layer 36 degrees. Once I can get ONE cap, i can try to dissolve the glue just for that one (by freezing it, or other techniques), and this will allow me to reach the screws and adjust the puzzle if needed.

Thank you again for all your answers!

Roberto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:22 am 

bmenrigh wrote:
I don't know what glue they used but I'd suggest trying to soak them (the whole puzzle in necessary) in a hydrocarbon solvent. Lighter fluid or petrol or "mineral spirits" or "white spirit" or "petroleum spirits" are all hydrocarbon solvents that should weaken or completely dissolve the glue without affecting the plastic. From what I gather it's called "Testbenzin" in German.

Of course, there are glues they could have used where this won't work at all. Force may be needed in that case.

Don't use acetone or any other ketone solvent as it will destroy the plastic.

Wow, thank you for the detailed infomation. I would have never used acetone or ketone, but thank you for reminding me - I can show your post to my wife next time she suggests me to use acetone to remove sticker glue and i tell her it would be bad (I guess italian wives are trained by their mothers to never believe that their husbands say :D you are not married to my wife, AFAIK, so it's quite likely she will believe you.)

"Testbenzin" is in fact a german word for that, but it is quite rare. More often you read "petroleum" or "Terpentinersatz".

Roberto