Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Require 60+ 3x3 cubes for an event in August...
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:37 am 

So I need 60+ 3x3 cubes delivered to Canada. My budget is about $500 US, perhaps a bit more. I'm looking for some ideas of who to approach for this order.

These will be gifts to educators (teachers, principals, etc) at an upcoming conference (end of August) that my organization is hosting. I have been asked to get "Rubik's Cubes" for the gifts (it was actually NOT my idea, but I like it) because our conference has a math theme (that WAS my idea). I'll need at least 60 cubes, preferably a few more. I don't want to go with the super-cheap giveaways that you get at trade shows. I want to get a puzzle that a teacher can take back to his or her class and let children play with it. I'd rather not have to assemble and sticker them myself, but I can do it if I get them early enough (end of July).

I've been using puzzles to get kids attention when I visit classrooms and I have distributed several Rubik's classroom kits. I use the 3x3 as a metaphor for mathematics; it looks very complicated and impossible but it can be done in steps and each step can be learned and mastered with practice - and everyone will say you are very smart! There is quite a bit of buzz in our schools around using puzzles to motivate students and capture their interest. This project will step that interest up quite a bit.

Post subject: Re: Require 60+ 3x3 cubes for an event in August...
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:25 am 

Like I said on facebook, the bulk pricing on the shuengren is amazing!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:26 am 

My suggestion would be to go on light take and find something you like. They offer discounts on bulk items. I've found some where the plastic is colored. This is good as you don't have to sticker them. The teachers also can't make the "I'll just resticker it" joke. And this search give you a ton of options, most of them within your budget.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:54 pm 

I second eye2eye's suggestion and observe that the DS "multicolor" is relatively cheap and has solid colors, no stickers. I do not know how good that is but i would be surprised if it were not better than the cheap ones sometimes one finds in toy shops…

Roberto

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:15 am 

If it helps any, the DS cubes are pretty good quality and hold up to a lot of wear and tear. I used them with elementary school kids. I wouldn't advise the painted ones thought. That doesn't stay on well and is easily scratched off.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:19 am 

For the cubes, there is a lot of 50 Edison cubes online at a decent price. I will pm you the link just incase someone else here on the forum is watching that sale.

I would assume the seller has ten more for you. I would contact the seller and see what your options are.

Good Luck

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:19 pm 

Is this the DianSheng cube and if not, is it decent? Somehow I ended up there when I did a search, but it seems to be "Maru" brand.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:28 pm 

Pete the Geek wrote:
Is this the DianSheng cube and if not, is it decent? Somehow I ended up there when I did a search, but it seems to be "Maru" brand.
It's a Maru cube. I have one of those, it's turns great out of the package (but not as great as a well lubricated Dayan cube, of course). Bare in mind that it's small (30x30x30mm). Also, on my version, the blue stickers are quite dark (almost black).

Skarabajo.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:35 pm 

Seconding Rox's suggestion re: painted cubes. I had a DS cube and the color schemes are inconsistent, the turning is better than most (no corner cutting though). They also come in mini versions. I tried sanding the colors off of mine when they got too chipped, but it was nearly impossible to get everything off...

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:33 am 

Since these will be used by kids I would avoid getting any that are pre-lubed with stuff that may not really be safe for kids to handle.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:53 pm 

Man, just ordered 30 of these, they arrived in 2 days from china to Colorado.
O.o

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:43 am 

Those same cubes here: http://zcube.cn/Standard/3x3x3/Ripple_design_3x3.html

They do accept paypal (51morefun doesn't), just choose payment option other and email them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:06 pm 

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I'm still looking. The original cube I found is not a DianSheng, it was a Maru and it is a mini (30mm). Is that worth considering? Meanwhile, the supplier has offered other suggestions that aren't actually 3x3 cubes and rejected one suggestion of mine (possibly doesn't have the numbers or doesn't want to discount a popular model).

Can someone offer comments on the quality of the [urlhttp://lightake.com/detail.do/sku.55mm_3x3x3_DS_Colorful_Magic_Cube___Multicolor-62032]55mm DS Colourful Magic Cube[/url]? Not looking for speedcubing, just want something that turns better out of the box and costs less than a Rubik's brand.

Kattenvriendin wrote:
Those same cubes here: http://zcube.cn/Standard/3x3x3/Ripple_design_3x3.html

They do accept paypal (51morefun doesn't), just choose payment option other and email them.
What brand is that? I want to find a review. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:20 pm 

Ghosthand, by the looks of them :) They cube pretty decent too.

Gave them as a pressie to people at a party that I held here. Spread the community and all that ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:19 pm 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
Ghosthand, by the looks of them :) They cube pretty decent too.

Gave them as a pressie to people at a party that I held here. Spread the community and all that ;)

We decided to get 100 cubes, so we would have some extras to give as prizes during the upcoming school year. After some back-and-forth with one vendor and striking out on quantity with a vendor I've dealt with before, I decided to take a chance and place my first order with zcube. I couldn't get non-painted DS, so I went for the "Ripple Design 3x3x3 Cube". They didn't have black, so I selected 25 each of blue, pink and purple. I also got 25 black cubes from a different brand. Even with DHL shipping (cheapest option), the order was less than $200. I should have them next week.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:21 pm 

Yeah, Using them in the classroom is terrific. The cubes captured so much interest that I started a Rubik's Cube club at my school and then started one at wy wife's school. In the last three years, dozens of students (middle school) have learned how to solve the cube. Several come back now and want to race against me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:53 am 

Good going, hopefully it should all go ok!

I had two that were not completely ok, and as they were being handed out as gifts I contacted the seller. They responded that they would send two new for free with the next order.

Thing is I needed another black one anyway, so got a $2 or so knockoff brand and then the two new ones ordered and all went fine. China Post, cheapest, takes 2 to 3 weeks to get to me.

They are fast to respond, only their knowledge of English is a bit limited, but they strive to please (and I strive to use simple words with them :lol: )

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:53 pm 

I sincerely appreciate the helpful advice and ideas that people shared on this thread.

I received the puzzles and I am completely happy with them. They turn very well and they seem like a good value for the price. The customer service from zcube was great. I think the educators attending our conference will have a memorable and unique gift and the cost to us was reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:42 am 

Great Pete, good to hear they arrived ok and you're happy with them :D