Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dismal failure thread
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:08 pm 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :(
Well we have an accomplishments thread with over 50 pages I think! So I thought I would start a dismal failures thread!!

For me it is the Bauhinia dodecahedron! It has been sitting on my shelf taunting me for ages and when thinking about buying Eitan's star I figured I ought to solve the Bauhinia first. Having looked at the barest of outlines on Rline's site I went to it. It amazed me to see how far I have come. I completed the entire lower half by intuition and then did the top half until all I had left was those damned little triangles. I couldn't workout my own commutator so spent enough time watching the videos and reading TP to find a nice commutator to cycle 3 of them.

I have now been at it for 5 days and think I'm probably going to have to admit defeat! :( I have once gotten to just 6 left to finish. But I cannot do these last triangles. I just cannot keep track of my set up moves. This puzzle is ghastly anyway to turn! It tries to rip my thumbnail off, it catches and it pops terribly. I have had it explode a few times and had to start again. But worst of all I get close to the end and find I've tried to undo a setup sequence and gone badly wrong somewhere and need to start again on the top half!

I think this puzzle is trying to kill me and I might just have to give up!

I feel better for the catharsis of admitting defeat - does anyone else have the courage to add to this thread?

Now sobbing gently into my puzzle! :lol:

Kevin

Post subject: Re: Dismal failure thread
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:57 pm 

My Bauhinia Dodecahedron is also taunting me. I've also gotten everything except for the small triangles, and I just can't figure out a way to cycle them. It just sits on my nightstand, and I mess with it for about 15 minutes every day when I fall asleep and when I wake up. It's starting to annoy me, to be honest.

As a tip, though, if you take it apart and remove all of the excess plastic flashing from all of the pieces, then lubricate slightly, it will move much better. I haven't had a pop since I did it, and it only catches once in probably 20 turns, compared to every 2 turns before.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:20 pm 

My Master Little Chop is still sitting on my shelf scrambled teasing me. But those 24-cube triangles are so hard to solve...

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:28 pm 

benpuzzles wrote:
My Master Little Chop is still sitting on my shelf scrambled teasing me. But those 24-cube triangles are so hard to solve...

Did you solve all but the 24 triangles? The chiral pieces are quite hard to setup and solve too. If you can get those you can definitely solve the whole thing.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:45 pm 

I've never finished solving the 4x4x5 - And it taunts me every day.

Also, I have a 3/4 solved curvy tutminx that I never seem to get around to finishing.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:16 pm 

Puzzlemad wrote:
I have now been at it for 5 days and think I'm probably going to have to admit defeat! :( I have once gotten to just 6 left to finish

But Kevin, if you've done all but 6, you can do all of them! The only issue I can see you have is the setups. One word: pencil-and-paper. You can't avoid writing down setups with this sort of thing. It is far more worth the effort (and maybe pride loss) of writing them down carefully, than not writing them down and destroying your work.

I will contribute to this thread and say that I am currently utterly defeated by the bicube. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:16 pm 

Oddly enough, my solution is to just give up. Then, when the puzzles have been sitting on my shelf for long enough that I stop saying 'hey, that's a neat puzzle', I cry Puzzles for sale!! Then I buy new ones, rinse and repeat.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:33 pm 

When I first saw this thread I thought it was about puzzle making (missed the sub forum). Oh well, I'll leave my dismal failures in their box out of sight where they belong.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:23 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
When I first saw this thread I thought it was about puzzle making (missed the sub forum). Oh well, I'll leave my dismal failures in their box out of sight where they belong.

I also thought that... and did the same thing.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:29 pm 

I mixed something & work out an "even less gear", try to solve it. First of all I think it'll be easier than the Gear Cube Extreme because I thought less gear means I can do more 3x3 move & algorithm. Then I found I was wrong, While turning and scrambling it's VERY easy to turn with the face with gears, and while solving it it's almost impossible to avoid turning a face without turning a gear!

Then I tried to reduce it into a Gear Cube Extreme and I fail again. I can put all four gears into a line and solve four edge pieces to become a middle layer. But I found there's still one big difference between even less gear & gear cube extreme, which is the the corner pieces of even less gear will be rotated but not gear cube extreme! I can't find a way to rotate the corner pieces independently so I give up.

At last I search for tutorial and solved that....

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:16 pm 

otischeng wrote:
I mixed something & work out an "even less gear", try to solve it. First of all I think it'll be easier than the Gear Cube Extreme because I thought less gear means I can do more 3x3 move & algorithm. Then I found I was wrong, While turning and scrambling it's VERY easy to turn with the face with gears, and while solving it it's almost impossible to avoid turning a face without turning a gear!

Then I tried to reduce it into a Gear Cube Extreme and I fail again. I can put all four gears into a line and solve four edge pieces to become a middle layer. But I found there's still one big difference between even less gear & gear cube extreme, which is the the corner pieces of even less gear will be rotated but not gear cube extreme! I can't find a way to rotate the corner pieces independently so I give up.

I have this puzzle too, and I can actually solve it! If you need any help, just let me know!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:20 pm 

The Latch Cube. 'Nuff said!

I hate it. Can never seem to get the arrows how I want them. Every video or thread just says "yeah I can't tell you how to solve the part where you put the arrows how you want them".

Eventually, I'll figure it out when I have a ton of patience and a ton of time.

EDIT: Much thanks to fellow TP rline with assistance to turn this dismal failure into anaccomplishment!

Last edited by rplass on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:14 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:

Me too, and man, I've got some firepower to bring when that thread happens...

For this thread, I'll just say the Trapentrix killed me. It's very, very hard to solve the small star arms. Eventually I popped it, and reassembled it solved. Failure.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:11 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
I really didn't expect to have anyone join in with this! Thanks everyone! It has made me feel much better!

Rline - ok, you've convinced me to carry on. This time I'll take notes of my setup moves and hopefully I can repost of a success!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:45 am 

Puzzlemad wrote:
I really didn't expect to have anyone join in with this! Thanks everyone! It has made me feel much better!

Well the reality is that only an incredibly small number of solvers (myself NOT included) can solve things without often "failing" at it. But for me it's all about the contrast principle. The greater the failure along the way, the greater the joy when it's done!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:25 am 

benpuzzles wrote:
otischeng wrote:

I have this puzzle too, and I can actually solve it! If you need any help, just let me know!

Thanks Ben. I know how to solve that now by watch a tutorial made by a taiwan cuber. But thanks for your help :D

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:00 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
No need to be shy, I've created just the thread for such things.

Dave