Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Question for UK mobile phone users
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:28 am 

I need a new phone. I'm talking old style mobiles here, no touch screen, jam rolly polly operating systems or angry seagulls required.
When I send a text on old my Sharp GX15 (Vodafone) I always get a message received confirmation. This to me is extremely important, seeing as some text messages simply vanish and never arrive. After countless searches and chats to people in mobile phone shops I feel I am living on a different planet. No website seems to mention it and the kids in these shops give me all sorts of conflicting information and seem surprised at my question.
So can anyone explain how the message confirmation thing works? Is it related to the network provider or the phone? Is it standard on all networks / phones? As well as my state of art Sharp GX15 I also have a Samsung toco lite (or something). This too is under Vodafone but doesn't tell me when texts reach their destination.
Please understand that I am NOT interesting in upgrading to the modern world. (I'm having that on my plastic tomb stone).

Post subject: Re: Question for UK mobile phone users
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:45 am 

I use android version 4.0.4 and there is a setting under Messaging -> Delivery reports, which requests a delivery report for each message that I send. However, this only tells you that the target phone has received the text, not that the person has read it. I don't think that you can confirm that the message has actually been read.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:51 am 

Why not just buy a pigeon? If it returns without the message then you know it has been delivered. Then you can just stick it in a pie and eat it, like in the good old days. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:38 am 

Gus wrote:
I don't think that you can confirm that the message has actually been read.

I'm not bothered about that. I just want to know the person has got it on their phone. I trust them to read it. I just want to avoid being told "Oh sorry, I never got your text".
I actually found someone today in a shop who seems to know a bit about it. He said it's quite rare these days and is related to the phone and the provider. It's regarded as a service so they are now unlikely to just provide it for free like they used too.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:08 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I actually found someone today in a shop who seems to know a bit about it. He said it's quite rare these days and is related to the phone and the provider. It's regarded as a service so they are now unlikely to just provide it for free like they used too.
Well, all up to date Android phones seem to have the capability of using the service, I would expect that the phone company would just charge you for the text they have to send your phone. I'll try it on mine to see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:20 pm 

The service is there on most Android phones, pretty sure your Tocco Lite will have it but it is chargeable. I'm on Orange and they charge 1 or 2p for each confirmation.

So naturally I switched it off :lol:

I hate texting anyway, most times it's quicker and cheaper to just call.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:14 pm 

I've always used delivery reports since SMS came into being. There are 2 types - manual, and a sort of 'macro' that tells the network to always send reports to you. 'Macro' is the one that gets switched on via the delivery reports on/off option if it exists in the menu system of the phone you're using. O2's network doesn't support that method, so even if you switch delivery reports on, nothing will happen - you'll have permanently pending reports, even when they've delivered.

The manual method is to put some characters in front of your text message. On O2 it's *0#your message here . Those first 3 symbols are clipped off at the recipient's end. You'll then get a confirmation delivered by standard text - it was a complete pain when I was on O2. The manual method for Orange was RCT_your message here. I can't remember if the RCT got clipped off - I used to use this method on my first mobile which didn't have a delivery report option. I don't think Vodafone support a manual method, so you'll just have to live without them on your Toco.

Vodafone and Orange (not sure about 3) support the 'macro' form in the phone's menu if it's present, so it just depends if the phone manufacturer has put the option there.

As already mentioned, some networks charge for delivery reports. I'm on Vodafone and they don't currently charge... which is why I use Vodafone.

I think your best option for cost and ease of use would be to stick with Vodafone as a network, and have a play with some phones in the shop to see which ones have delivery reports menus.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:47 am 

Justin wrote:

I think your best option for cost and ease of use would be to stick with Vodafone as a network, and have a play with some phones in the shop to see which ones have delivery reports menus.

Thanks. They only ever seem to have the fancy phones working in shops. The classic types are usually just dummy display models.
I just purchased another Sharp GX15 from ebay for £4.50 so hopefully that will do for a while.