Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Jin's 3 Layer Rainbow puck
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:27 pm 

I built this today using Jin H Kim's simply brilliant design. Now I have to figure out how to solve it...

-mike grimsley

Attachments:
3puck1.jpg
3puck1.jpg [ 66.44 KiB | Viewed 5040 times ]
3puck2.jpg
3puck2.jpg [ 66.59 KiB | Viewed 5040 times ]
3puck3.jpg
3puck3.jpg [ 66.18 KiB | Viewed 5040 times ]
3puck4.jpg
3puck4.jpg [ 66.97 KiB | Viewed 5040 times ]

Post subject: Re: Jin's 3 Layer Rainbow puck
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:56 pm 

skeneegee wrote:
I built this today using Jin H Kim's simply brilliant design. Now I have to figure out how to solve it...

-mike grimsley

Sure rub it in. Stupid me. You know what I'm talking about :wink: . This looks awesome, I like those colors alot and boy now I want them now more then ever. Nice big Rainbow Mac you have there :wink:. Is this your first one or did you make the 2 version first? I mean the whopper. :P :D :) 8-) :wink: I wonder what you'd call the puck puzzle with four layers?

Any names?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:38 pm 

I think it's up to Jin but to keep a hamburger theme, a four layer could be a "Double-Double" :wink:

This was the only one I built. The even numbered layer puzzles would be more involved to make, but I'd like to try.

-mg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:42 pm 

Excellent puzzle! You guys are awesome.
I'd love to see the mechanism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:05 pm 

Excellent!

I have thnk the following one:

Whats about cutting from the middle the puck? You will have 2 layer puck so easy, and it will be much more playable!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:15 pm 

How would you go about making a 2-layer puck? Cutting the puck's pieces in two seems like too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:32 pm 

I am almost finished with a 2 layer puck using two pucks. It's really easy, almost as easy as making a 3 layer puck. The only "trick" is that you have to fabricate two new pieces of plastic that will be sandwiched within the mechanism. 1/8" thick plastic sheet fits the bill almost perfectly for this and finding two nice sized scraps was easy.

I would easily be able to finish this puzzle in about half an hour more (total commitment of Time so far, 15 minutes) but unfortunately to make the puzzle easily "reversible" back to the original state of 2 separate pucks I need some screws which I don't have but won't be able to buy today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:51 pm 

Jin, and what do you think about my idea of splitting the puck from the middle, getting in this way a 2 layer puck, but only using a PUck? You have the correct tools to do it, and would be much easier right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:59 pm 

skeneegee wrote:
I think it's up to Jin but to keep a hamburger theme, a four layer could be a "Double-Double" :wink:

-mg

Now your starting to sound like Little Caesars Pizza saying everything twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:07 pm 

Darren Grewe wrote:
Now your starting to sound like Little Caesars Pizza saying everything twice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:IN-N ... _BOARD.JPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:53 pm 

We don't have In-n-Out here in Minnesota.

A Little Caesarized slogan would be "Puzzle! Puzzle!" I worked at one while I was in high school, so I saw plenty of their marketing, and I got to run around Kmart wearing that huge Caesar costume.

Soon, a Little Caesar's will open up in Rochester, and I can get Crazy Bread again....yummy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:00 pm 

Hehe. It's just 2 and 3 layer pucks. I'll leave it to the more creative to come up with names.

As for the idea of taking an existing puck and cutting it in half, it is possible but very difficult.

You have to cut the pieces very straight so that they line up when you scramble the puzzle. Otherwise the pieces will be misaligned when you scramble it.

The "tab' that holds the pieces to the center hub are molded onto one half of the piece. If you cut the piece down the middle, the tab will need to be glued onto the half without that piece. That's a lot of extra work and the tab will never be as strong.

You will need to use a very thin saw like a razor saw so that you do not remove too much material or the puzzle will be too loose. You can use more plastic to build up the pieces thicker afterwards but you will spend a lot of Time compensating for the material that you removed with cutting.

You *might* be able to split the pieces where they are glued together. if you succeed in doing so you still have to find a way to cut off the tab piece and glue it on securely.

If you use two pucks you can always change your mind later and still have two whole pucks. Trying to make a two layer puck out of a single puck is a lot more work than just buying an extra puck for $10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:47 pm 

:D WOW I REALLY LIKE WHAT YOU GUYS ARE DOING WITH PUCKS :D

Hi my name is Rich and I have set up PuckPuzzles.com, I am sure by now some of you have proberbly come accross me on eBay.

I have had the pleasure of talking with some of you before but I thought I would drop everyone else a line to say hello. :o

I had seen Jin's page before and found it very interesting and used it to build my own first triple puck. I think this is a great article.

I am very interested in seeing photos of any design of double pucks that anyone develops?

In regards to rastarubiks comments about splitting the puck down the middle (hello mate), I have spent some time looking into this. I think it is possible but as mentioned it would need to be spot on perfect. The main problem with this is that the segments are made up of two pieces and they split apart. There is one larger part, which includes the central connector, and a smaller second piece (I am sure someone mentioined this earlier). I will put up some pics if anybody wants to see any?

Seeing as this is my first posting on Twistypuzzles.com I would also like to say hello to everyone and ask that you maybe pay me a visit at http://www.puckpuzzles.com ( I hope putting my website up is not against your rules and I appologise if it is, I do not intend to offend). If you do vist please let us know what you think by signing our guest book.

I am more of a rubik's / puzzle collector than a speed cuber but I am starting to learn a couple of faster methods, at the moment my times are about 4 minutes hahaha. I have my speed pucking time down to about 2minutes and 10 seconds (average of 3) and I am working on a written solution to puck puzzles but it is not quite finnished yet. I have not written a solution before and it'd harder than it looks :x

Anyway thats me saying hello and goodbye for now and I hope to hear from people what they think about puckpuzzles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:03 pm 

Hi Rich!

It is a big pleasure having you in this Forum!

Welcom to hause mate! hehehe

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:44 pm 

Hi to everyone, I spent this evening building a 2 layer puck. I am not an expert puzzle builder by a long chalk...HAHAHA...but I give most things ago. :D I have attached a couple of photos for you to have a look at and I thought I would let you all know two recomendations. 1st, it's quite hard to make the right shape whole for the spindle, I used a small drill bit in a dremmel but this allows the spindle to move around a little and my 2nd recommendation is to think about how you are going to glue it together. I used super glue from the corner shop (rubbish I know but I was eager), If anyone can recomend a good glue which id readily available I would love to hear from you?

Any way have a look at the pics and let me know what you think?

Cheers Rich

Attachments:
IMAG0027.JPG
IMAG0027.JPG [ 91.65 KiB | Viewed 1210 times ]
IMAG0025.JPG
IMAG0025.JPG [ 70.39 KiB | Viewed 1188 times ]
IMAG0026.JPG
IMAG0026.JPG [ 79.04 KiB | Viewed 1188 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:47 pm 

Very nice work Rich! I really like it!

Now you have to build the 3 layer one!

:):):):):):):)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:59 pm 

Hi Dave not set up the messenger yet but it is my number one thing for tomorrow.

i built a three but I had the same problem of really rubbish glue! The three is great fun but a really easy build as you just remove the spindle from the 1 &3 layers and then glue the layers to the middle, absolute fun though I'll make one tomorrow and send you a pick, but serious man I need a really good glue, what can you recomend please?

Talk soon.

Cheers Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:12 am 

PuckPuzzles.com wrote:
... I need a really good glue, what can you recomend please?

Epoxy.

It's very strong, and not really difficult to work with. I used it on my 2x3x3 project, and haven't had any difficulties with it at all.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:18 pm 

I've been looking for a couple of screws to use rather than gluing. The plastic of the hub is not the kind that glue adheres to very well so it's better to find the right screws.

The problem with the screws is that they need to be long and skinny in order to fit with the least amount of work. It's also necessary to use screws if you want to reverse the modification.

I made my middle section plate out of a sheet of 1/8" thick ABS plastic and used a dremel although the patient can get away with a razor saw and files.

Yes, the 2 layer is definitely more challenging to make, but not by a great magnitude. I'll probably give up trying to locate the right length screws too and just drill my own holes in some manner rather than glue. It's not like I intend to take it apart again anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:33 am 

For DCD I made this version of 3 layer puck that I called " Coloured tower " . I used segments from pucks with the same colour ( black, blue,... ) as ground and I cut new stickers.

Attachments:
Pic1.jpg
Pic1.jpg [ 7.73 KiB | Viewed 3790 times ]
Pic2.jpg
Pic2.jpg [ 7.55 KiB | Viewed 3791 times ]
Pic3.jpg
Pic3.jpg [ 7.51 KiB | Viewed 3790 times ]
Pic4.jpg
Pic4.jpg [ 7.56 KiB | Viewed 3791 times ]
Pic5.jpg
Pic5.jpg [ 8.93 KiB | Viewed 3789 times ]
Pic6.jpg
Pic6.jpg [ 8.96 KiB | Viewed 3790 times ]

Special puzzles
Pucks
Free items for sale/trade - first page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:47 am 

Now this is cute, Milan. Are you selling these eventually? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:47 pm 

Milan,
This is awesome!
I'm very sad I missed such a creation.
Are you coming to the first UK cube day in Leeds?
Vadim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:47 am 

Vadim,
I am sorry to say that the Dutch Cube Day was this year my last foreign trip. Your UK Cube will be surely very nice meeting but I will be missing there. Maybe next time.

Special puzzles
Pucks
Free items for sale/trade - first page