Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Twist ball
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:16 am 

When will you add PayPal payment?

Post subject: Re: Twist ball
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:18 am 

PayPal will be added to the end of the next week.

Alojz

Post subject: Re: Twistball
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:38 am 

Melysa wrote:
Yes! But which one?! :shock:

I chose the Flowers because it's very different from any other puzzle that I have, it's a very nice and colourful puzzle. :D

http://1002-puzzles.blogspot.be/

Post subject: Re: Twistball mass-produced in Slovenia
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:58 am 

:mrgreen: Edited to say: I am looking forward to trying out the Twistball.

Last edited by Pete the Geek on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Twistball mass-produced
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:51 pm 

Some may have wondered why under "Some recent posts" a post from Geert was showing up "723 hours ago" :wink:

I made some effort to copy the original post made by Geert on March 29th in The less rare puzzle thread as the first post in this thread.
I think that Geert deserves it that his name is tightly connected with the history of this puzzle! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:41 am 

Hello puzzle lovers!

PayPal option is nov integrated in our web store.

www.twistball.eu.

Thank you for your patience!

Alojz Hribernik

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:28 am 

zjola500 wrote:
PayPal option is nov integrated in our web store. http://www.twistball.eu.
Excellent, I've just ordered a couple and it works.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:49 am 

Ordered one too. I chose the flowers because it combines beauty
and mathematical elegance (i.e. the picture theme never changes,
that is, except the colors).

Just a question... why countries inside the euro-zone (e.g. Greece
where I live now) have to pay VAT?

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:21 am 

kastellorizo wrote:

Pantazis

Isn't that the norm? Only people outside the zone would be exempt, or am I missing something? Or are you talking about import duty which would be the other way round?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:33 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:

Pantazis

Isn't that the norm? Only people outside the zone would be exempt, or am I missing something? Or are you talking about import duty which would be the other way round?

Yeap, that's the one. It's supposed to be no-borders-zone right? (including all exports/imports)
Or it might have been me being too many years in Australia...

:mrgreen:

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:36 am 

Do people actually pay tax in Greece? :P

Joking aside, VAT has nothing to do with import/export between countries in the Eurozone, it is simply a national tax on consumption set by each country. There are EU guidelines for VAT rates of member states (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_VAT_area), but they still allow countries some flexibility to charge different rates.

Last edited by KelvinS on Thu May 02, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:23 am 

KelvinS wrote:
Do people actually pay tax in Greece? :P

Well, apart that all scandals in Greece are associated with companies
from non-Greek countries, everyone pays tax (especially now!!!). :wink:

In general, having the experience of living in other places, there is no country
with people who want to pay tax. So... live your myth! 8-)
(it is up to the authorities to enforce this, no?)
I wish I could think of it as a joke, but the entire continent is now full of jobless
and desperate people because of systemic errors and political scandals.

The only difference here, was Greece having traitor-leaders accusing an entire
nation of civilians(!) of doing so (so that they can hide their high profile scandals).
Then, Greeks had to prove that we are not elephants. Too late, as the mass media
all around the world had done a "terrific" job, instead of stating that the average
Greek is one of the most productive *and* low paid worker in Europe. Oh the irony...

At least Greece, in my humble opinion, is the most beautiful, sunny, and safest place
in the world without any big bombings or other mass killings...
(yes, demonstrations do happen, they always did, but 99% in the Athens center)

I'd rather not expand on this, it is a loooooong discussion! :P

In any case, here at the beautiful and peaceful island of Kastellorizo, I don't even lock
my house's door, and that is what matters to me! :lol:

KelvinS wrote:
Joking aside, VAT has nothing to do with any agreement between countries in the Eurozone, it is simply a national tax on consumption set by each country.

Cool, that definitely answers my question. Thanks!
*takes off the Crocodile-Dundee hat and wears a Sobrero*

:wink:

Pantazis

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:33 pm 

Forgive me if this question has been asked before. Why is it so much cheaper on Slovenian site than on a "eu" site? I was going to order from the very beginning as I found out about the puzzle, but I was waiting the promised PayPal option. Now I find out that there is a new "eu" site, and the price is much higher. And I can't choose my country of shipping on Slovenian site anymore.

Is there something that I have missed? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:33 pm 

Aleksey wrote:
Forgive me if this question has been asked before. Why is it so much cheaper on Slovenian site than on a "eu" site? I was going to order from the very beginning as I found out about the puzzle, but I was waiting the promised PayPal option. Now I find out that there is a new "eu" site, and the price is much higher. And I can't choose my country of shipping on Slovenian site anymore.

Is there something that I have missed? Thanks!
I had ordered on http://www.twist-ball.de on March 30th. This was my invoice
Quote:
Twistball €11.66 (exkl. VAT.)
Shipping: €2.95 (exkl. VAT) via normal shipping
VAT €2.92
Sum: €17.53
(just translated from German to English.
Today I checked on .eu and .de. On both sites I have to pay for the same product € 22.15.
On .de I can still pay by bank transfer only. So, Paypal doesn't make the difference.
(On the .si site it is much less expensive.)

Alojz, can you, please, explain the increase?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:53 am 

I paid even less, on the Slovenia site. :wink:
Skupaj v košarici: €8,29 (brez DDV)
Dostava: €4,99 (brez DDV) via Mednarodna Dostava
DDV €2,66
SKUPNI ZNESEK NAROČILA: €15,94
I guess since the time I ordered (March 25th) they must have realised the price was too low to make profit on the puzzle.
Or the price was wrong then, at the same moment the puzzles were already much more expensive on a French site.

http://1002-puzzles.blogspot.be/

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:11 am 

Konrad wrote:
Geert wrote a PM to me that the Twistball was mentioned in The less rare puzzle thread. Geert wrote on March 29th
Geert March 29th 2013 wrote:
The puzzle is basically the same as Lorente’s Sphere, presented by Douglas Hofstadter in his July 1982 Scientific American article about the Rubik’s Cube and related puzzles.

3D printed samples of another version of this puzzle were made in 2009 (expIained below).

I assume that the present puzzle is an invention by Josip Matijek.
His puzzle was first presented on this forum by Sandy on 14 October 2004, see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3175.
It also mentions a patent.

A 3d-printed sample of a similar version of this puzzle was made in 2009.
That started with a design request by me (at the time being unaware of Mr Josip Matijek) on this forum on 15 May 2008, see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9777

The challenge was picked up by Adam Cowan and based on his design I had a 3d sample printed.
This was presented on 8 November 2009, see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15331

In between the design request and the final realisation of the puzzle I was looking for more information about Lorente’s Sphere and similar puzzles.
I discovered the initial information by Sandy and I was able to contact Mr Josip Matijek.
Initially this was via snail mail, later on also via e-mail.

Mr Josip Matijek explained to me that he made a first prototype of his version of the puzzle in 1989. A second version was made in 1996 (more samples).
Initially he called his puzzle ‘Kultball’.
He mentioned that the puzzle consisted of 20 parts all together, using 2 ‘element’ parts: a ‘permutator’ (12 parts) and a ‘rotator’ (8 parts) and he also mentioned that the inside of the puzzle was ‘empty’.
Mr Josip Matijek was trying to get the puzzle mass-produced which was difficult at the time, partly because of the political and economic situation in those years in the area he lived.
In 2009, he had 2 official licensees in Sarajevo for mass-producing the puzzle. There was a website but that website is no longer available.
In total he had 8 different designs (patterns) for the puzzle which was measuring 100 mm in diameter.

Mr Josip Matijek was born in Croatia in 1950 and lived in Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina) for 50 years until he emigrated to Australia in 2003 were he is living in the area of Sydney (at least in 2009).

Congratulations to Mr Josip Matijek for finally getting this lovely puzzle mass-produced.

Geert
I did not recollect Geert's post, when I splitted this topic off the Pyraminx Ball thread.
Instead of moving Geert's post from the other thread to here, I decided to quote it, so we have the very valid information in both topics.

Another issue:
On the package it says:
Quote:
OVER 3 BILLION PERMUTATIONS
I suppose there is a calculation error???

[edit]They describe on the German website that the puzzle can be disassembled and dfferently re-assembled.
Taking this into account, the 3*10^12 can be justified. [/edit]

I calculate (12!/2)*3^8 = 1,571,364,748,800 = 1.571*10^12 (Like a Super Rainbow Cube or Compy Cube. The eight centres of rotations - kind of triangles - can have 3 orientations independent of each other)
Obviously, the calculation counts the number of permutations that can be reached by physical permutations and does not consider the fact that only even permutations are possible via twisting the Twistball.
Note that the word "billion" refers in many languages to 10^12 and not to 10^9 as in American English.
(In BE English it is even worse because journalists sometimes take over the US meaning and sometimes they use it in the original way :roll: Source: Wikipedia )
Can someone comfirm or contradict my calculation?

Anyway, this is a nice puzzle and because it is so easy to solve, you can just follow your taste when choosing one.
(Easy for the people here, for children it will be hard enough :wink: )

EDIT: In my opinion, the (flower) Twistball is visually harder than a Dino / Rainbow / Compy Cube.
I solved it several times and turning is certainly hard for the small hands of children.
I have disassembled it and shall lubricate it tomorrow.

EDIT2: I made some effort to copy the original post made by Geert on March 29th in The less rare puzzle thread the first post in Twistball thread.
I think that Geert deserves it that his name is tightly connected with the history of this puzzle!

Hello to all the fans of TwistyPuzzles!

I am Josip Matijek, the inventor of the puzzleball now called TwistBall.

I want to reply to a post by Mr. Konrad.

My invention has exactly 3.142...billion (trillion) variations. Billion for Europe, and Trillion for AU/USA regions.

Mathematically, that would be:

3 142 729 497 600 (3^8x12!)

Twistball-Flower has only one, final solution (every piece has to fit in its place and in its final form 6 monochrome flowers are revealed).
Visually, it doesn't have two equal elements and they are in only one possible relation with orientated (tricoloured) triangles.

This calculation cannot apply to DINO and RAINBOW CUBE because DINO CUBE has only 12 permutators which end up being a maximum of 12! variations.
RAINBOW CUBE has 12 permutators and 8 non-orientational triangles because they are monochrome.

DINO CUBE has more final semi-solutions due to the hidden triangles and RAINBOW CUBE has more final semi-solutions due to the non-orientational (monochrome) triangles.

Therefore, the triangles on TWISTBALL are oriented (tri-coloured), and all the pieces are different which enables a maximum number of variations.

By the way, my puzzle doesn't use 'DINO/RAINBOW CUBE MECHANISM'(which is stated in TP Museum). Instead, it uses 'PATENTED OMEGA-CLICK CONCEPT', which implies empty interior of the puzzle ball. I'd like to ask the moderators to update this information in TP Museum.

For the fans a great number of variations, an information from the inventor:

On May 1st 2013 I have finalised two final versions of in my 26 Ballpuzzles collection.
They have 'MarsBall' - N=2.416X10^69 variations and 'VenusBall' - N=6.86X10^208 variations.

In my opinion, the significance of twisty puzzles is not in the number of possible variations, but in their originality and attractiveness.

All my BallPuzzles (26) now use a new:

FOCASAWEB Concept
(an improved patented OMEGA-CLICK CONCEPT)

All my Ballpuzzles have SIAMESE EFFECTS in 1D, 2D and 3D, from the basic shapes to allow, theoretically, an infinite number of multiplications.

Independent Inventor, Josip Matijek and the Team

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:26 am 

Konrad wrote:
Another issue:
On the package it says:
Quote:
OVER 3 BILLION PERMUTATIONS
I suppose there is a calculation error???

[edit]They describe on the German website that the puzzle can be disassembled and dfferently re-assembled.
Taking this into account, the 3*10^12 can be justified. [/edit]

I calculate (12!/2)*3^8 = 1,571,364,748,800 = 1.571*10^12 (Like a Super Rainbow Cube or Compy Cube. The eight centres of rotations - kind of triangles - can have 3 orientations independent of each other)
Obviously, the calculation counts the number of permutations that can be reached by physical permutations and does not consider the fact that only even permutations are possible via twisting the Twistball.

authentic wrote:
My invention has exactly 3.142...billion (trillion) variations. Billion for Europe, and Trillion for AU/USA regions.

Konrad is correct that this number is for the case where you allow disassembly. With only normal moves, only half of these is reachable because it is impossible to swap two pieces without affecting anything else.

Jaap's Puzzle Page:
http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:09 am 

jaap wrote:
......... disassembly.

Tutorial for those looking to take this puzzle apart- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zg6-It8usg

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:04 am 

authentic wrote:
...I want to reply to a post by Mr. Konrad.

Twistball-Flower has only one, final solution (every piece has to fit in its place and in its final form 6 monochrome flowers are revealed).
Visually, it doesn't have two equal elements and they are in only one possible relation with orientated (tricoloured) triangles.
In my opinion, the significance of twisty puzzles is not in the number of possible variations, but in their originality and attractiveness.
Welcome to the TP forum Mr. Matijek! It is nice to have the original inventor on board. :)
I like your puzzle and I think your mechanism is really clever and unique.

I'm glad that Jaap has confirmed my calculation. Your figure is correct if you count some additionalconfigurations that can be achieved via disassembly / reassembly. Via normal twisting even permutations can be reached only. It is usual that the number of different configurations of a twisty puzzle is calculated is taking based on normal twisting.
If you reassemble the Flower Twistball randomly, there is a 50% chance that it is unsolvable.

[edit]This is true only, if you permute the 12 movable pieces only without changing their orientations. I was thinking about the "3 Billion" figure, when I wrote this. If you assemble the centre pieces differently and change orientation of the 12 movable parts, you can create much more than the 3 billion. See Jaap's post below.[/edit]

On the Rubik's Cube you would count 12 times as much configurations, if you consider disassembly / reassembly.
Usually everybody counts 43,252,003,274,489,856,000 or 4.3 *10^19 positions, which you can create by twisting.

You are right, though, that the number of configurations does not say much about the attractiveness of a puzzle.

(BTW, my member name Konrad happens to be my first name as well. You can call me just "Konrad", if you like.)

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:32 am 

Konrad wrote:
If you reassemble the Flower Twistball randomly, there is a 50% chance that it is unsolvable.

Well, that is only if you look at the permutation of the 12 pieces.
If you randomly assemble a Flower (or ring/spiral/square) twistball, there is only one in 8!/24 chance that you place the centres correctly relative to each another, and a one in 2^12 chance that you place the 12 pieces in their correct orientation.
Putting it all together, the probability that a randomly assembled Flower Twistball is solvable is one in 2 * 2^12 * 8!/24, i.e. 1/13762560.

Jaap's Puzzle Page:
http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:33 pm 

Well I was able to order two Twistballs using the PayPal option. Will I be the first Canadian north of 50° to get these puzzles? :mrgreen: The field "Davčna številka" after the address on the English-language order page should probably be translated. :shock:

I'm really curious to see how the Twistball will be solved and if there is a difference in approach between the Extreme (patterned) and the Rainbow.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:51 pm 

Hello!

Explanation about the prices in our twistball web store.

Prices are the same for the whole world. The exception is Slovenia.

We are the Slovenian company, and therefore we offer the balls to people of Slovenia at a promotional prices.

Orders from the website www.twistball.si will be sent only to the territory of Slovenia!

Web page: http://twistballstore.com/twistball-jeu-de-reflexion is not ours. It belongs to our partner in France.

In case of sale within the European Union, the tax is charged to all end customers. This also applies to countries outside the EU.

Customers outside the EU pay tax + cost of customs duties.

Best regards to all puzzle lovers!

Alojz Hribernik

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:36 pm 

zjola500 wrote:
In case of sale within the European Union, the tax is charged to all end customers. This also applies to countries outside the EU.

Customers outside the EU pay tax + cost of customs duties.

Forgive me if I don't understand something, but I don't believe this is true. VAT is a tax charged on goods used in the EU, so if goods are exported outside the EU, VAT isn't charged. Customs duties are charged (or not) on the receiving (customer) side by the customer in the customer's country. So my understanding is that no, the VAT tax that is charged on sales within the European Union is not applicable when the product is sold to a non-EU resident and shipped outside of the European Union.

This comes from many years of experience of purchasing goods from the EU that are shipped outside of the EU to a non-EU resident. This can also be found on the Internet. I find statements like the one I quoted above to be very confusing, as they contradict everything I know from both my experience and the official sources on the Internet.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:34 am 

This is the first time I've ordered from a company in the EU and got hit with VAT. To me that's as bad as getting gouged on shipping by ebay sellers. But at the end of the day I wanted the puzzle so what choice do I have? I just sit here and hope the company makes it right and refunds me the VAT. Since there is only one seller, I'm at the mercy of the company....

My sincere apologies. I just got the receipt and there was no VAT! I ordered 2 of one puzzle. That makes up the difference. No VAT makes me much happier. There is a 2.27 Euro sales tax though which is a mystery to me. (No sales tax in HK)

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:58 pm 

Hello puzzle lovers!!

We updated our web page: www.twistball.eu.

You can find Twistball related movies on: http://www.youtube.com/user/TwistBallPu ... ture=watch

Many thanks to Tony Fisher from England for great videos!!

We also started with Fb profile in English : https://www.facebook.com/TwistballGlobal (Expect lots of pictures, contests ...)

Wrongly charged tax will be refunded to customers - apply to shipments sent outside the EU. We sincerely apologize! Error in the online store will be eliminated over the weekend. Tax will only be charged on the postage costs. In Slovenia, the postal service is taxed!

Sincerely

Alojz Hribernik

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:44 am 

Twistball is practically indestructible .... video by Tony from UK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyUwjuZ4 ... KXAWp_1bV1

Twistball team
Alojz Hribernik

Last edited by zjola500 on Sun May 12, 2013 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:50 am 

We would like to expand the news about Twistball to the rest of the World. Do you have any idea?

Twistball team
Alojz Hribernik

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:56 am 

Twistball can also serve as a piggy bank!!

Attachment:
Piggy bank piece.png
Piggy bank piece.png [ 58.5 KiB | Viewed 4019 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:30 pm 

My Twistball and Unboxing and First Impressions video. :mrgreen: x 17

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:54 pm 

Anyone buying this puzzle in North America, have you guys received any tracking #? How long does it take them to ship the items over to the US?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:22 pm 

acjj wrote:
Anyone buying this puzzle in North America, have you guys received any tracking #? How long does it take them to ship the items over to the US?
My order took 12 calendar days to arrive in northern Ontario. While I didn't receive a tracking number, the package did have one, so perhaps there is a way to get it from the website.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:38 pm 

Thanks, Pete. Just watched your video. It's great. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:27 pm 

Pete the Geek wrote:

I loved where you were using rolls of tape for stands only to figure it out at the end.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:34 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Pete the Geek wrote:

I loved where you were using rolls of tape for stands only to figure it out at the end.
They must have updated the packaging. I didn't receive a stand at all.

Pete, thanks for another of your nice videos :)

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:30 pm 

I'm going to order two of these as soon as I have some money :D

Konrad wrote:
They must have updated the packaging. I didn't receive a stand at all.

Pete, thanks for another of your nice videos :)

It's easy enough to make on your own, cut a strap of cardboard and tape the two ends together.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:29 pm 

Hello puzzle lovers!

We made a great photo from Flower Twistball and we wish to share it with you!

Twistball team

Alojz Hribernik

Please visit our Fb profile and like us. https://www.facebook.com/TwistballGlobal

Thank You!

Attachment:
IMG_7009.jpg
IMG_7009.jpg [ 3.91 MiB | Viewed 3424 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:14 pm 

Perhaps not as pretty but I wanted to assemble one close to Rubik's Cube style colouring.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:42 am 

Have received the flower one. Very light puzzle, and easy for the average twisty puzzler,
yet very popular among the people in the island here!

Pantazis

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:36 pm 

Idea - Twistball for football fans....

Attachment:
Soccer Twist ball.jpg
Soccer Twist ball.jpg [ 57.05 KiB | Viewed 3025 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:50 pm 

This year great sport event in Slovenia ..... EUROBASKET 2013 (4.9.2013 - 22.9.2013)

Attachment:
L 01.jpg
L 01.jpg [ 33.49 KiB | Viewed 3019 times ]
Attachment:
L 02.jpg
L 02.jpg [ 38.97 KiB | Viewed 3019 times ]
Attachment:
L 05.jpg
L 05.jpg [ 39.05 KiB | Viewed 3019 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:35 pm 

Twistball ........ lessons from KORAN.
Attachment:
IMG_5042.jpg
IMG_5042.jpg [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 2888 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:33 pm 

Hi there, everybody :)

We are very proud to say that Twistball is being presented on one of the major crowd funding platfroms - on IndieGoGo.

What is Twistball? It is our innovation in the field of mind games, a 3D puzzle in the shape of a ball. Okay, we've seen those. We bet you did, but what makes Twistball so much different from all other ball-shaped mind games is the fact that it DOESN'T HAVE AN INTERNAL MECHANISM, but IS a mechanism.

Now we would like to ask you to help us spread the word by sharing the link of our campaign with your friends (you can find it below) or even donate, if you like. We will be happy to accept help in any shape or size :)

Thank you!

Help Us Ignite World Mind Game Revolution! Share or Support Twistball on IndieGoGo here: http://igg.me/at/twistball-mind-game-revolution

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:41 pm 

I wish they made a Globe Twistball.
I have a collection of twisty globes...