Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Irreversible Cube by OSKAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:28 pm 

Hi Twisty Puzzles fans,

Irreversible Cube is based on an idea by Christoph Lohe:
"It is just a 2x2x2 Cube, however, with the following constrains:
- only clockwise quarter turns are allowed
- after a turn on one axis (out of three), the next move, if any, will need to be done on another axis
Obviously, it is not a normal twisty puzzle as you cannot simply reverse your move sequence. It also means: the puzzle is already scrambled after a first single move from the solved state."

So if we encode
"U" = upper face 90 degrees clockwise
"F" = front face 90 degrees clockwise
"L" = left face 90 degrees clockwise
then one could legally turn e.g. "UFLUFLULUFLUFLUL" as all turns are clockwise and there are no two-same-turns-in-a-row. However, "FF" would be illegal and the second "F" move should be blocked.

Irreversible Cube exactly achieves Chris Lohe's goal. There are only single clockwise quarter turns, and any second quarter turn is blocked, only to be unlocked when another face is turned 90-degrees clockwise.

Note that the puzzle has no easy undos. Once a quarter turn clockwise has been made, one cannot undo it by turning anti-clockwise. Anti-clockwise turns are blocked by the mechanism.

Analysing the mechanism, the follow steps happen when turning a face clockwise.
1) First the turning face locks itself against turning back to it original position. From this point, one can only move forward.
2) Next the turning face unlocks the previously locked adjacent face.
3) Then, the turning face locks itself against turning back to the adjacent-faces-unlocking state.
4) Finally, the turning face blocks. Now it can only be unlocked by turning an adjacent face.

Watch the YouTube video.
Buy the puzzles at my Shapeways Shop.
Read a solving analysis in this thread at the Twisty Puzzles Forum.
Read more at the Shapeways Forum.
Check out the photos and sketches below.

Enjoy!

Oskar
Attachment:
Irreversible-Cube---view-1.jpg
Irreversible-Cube---view-1.jpg [ 46.86 KiB | Viewed 6769 times ]

Attachment:
Irreversible-Cube---view-2.jpg
Irreversible-Cube---view-2.jpg [ 43.91 KiB | Viewed 6769 times ]

Attachment:
Irreversible-Cube---view-3.jpg
Irreversible-Cube---view-3.jpg [ 46.72 KiB | Viewed 6769 times ]

Attachment:
Irreversible-Cube---view-4.jpg
Irreversible-Cube---view-4.jpg [ 46.4 KiB | Viewed 6769 times ]

Attachment:
Irreversible-Cube---view-5.jpg
Irreversible-Cube---view-5.jpg [ 44.95 KiB | Viewed 6769 times ]

Attachment:
Irreversible Cube - view 2.jpg
Irreversible Cube - view 2.jpg [ 116.84 KiB | Viewed 6769 times ]

Attachment:
Irreversible Cube - view 3.jpg
Irreversible Cube - view 3.jpg [ 134.98 KiB | Viewed 6769 times ]

Last edited by Oskar on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Irreversible Cube by OSKAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:37 pm 

Hey Oskar, can you design a 2x2x2 which must alternate clockwise and counterclockwise quarter turns?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:50 pm 

Absolutely incredible. You have once again obliterated a long-held assumption about the way twisty puzzles must behave.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:00 pm 

Now expand the concept to a 3x3x3! or 4x4x4! Or more!

Check out my Shapeways shop!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:10 pm 

WOW!!! Very interesting mechanism and it appears to work very well. Congrats. To answer the question posed in the video I think I can undo the first move with 7 other moves.

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:24 pm 

Here is another question:

If this puzzle were turned by a small amount say, 5 degrees, it can be reversed right? So, what is the largest angle you can turn and be reversible?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:32 pm 

At a recent meet-up with Matt Galla (Allagem) we were discussing this puzzle and a question about the initial bandaging state came up. Which axis is bandaged when the puzzle is solved? Of course, the related question is, if you scramble and solve it, can you ever solve it so that a different axis is bandaged. If you can, doesn't that mean this puzzle actually has 3x the states of a normal 2x2x2?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:35 pm 

rubikcollector123 wrote:
Here is another question:

If this puzzle were turned by a small amount say, 5 degrees, it can be reversed right? So, what is the largest angle you can turn and be reversible?

... and what's the minimum corner-cutting angle - in case you can avoid irreversibility by cutting corners?

Amazing puzzle by the way! :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:31 pm 

Also, can you design a mechanism where the same face can't do two 90 degree turns in a row, but turns can be either clockwise or counterclockwise?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:04 pm 

Or how about a "forced reversal puzzle", where each turn *must* be the reverse of the previous turn, so that you can never actually scramble it? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:00 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
At a recent meet-up with Matt Galla (Allagem) we were discussing this puzzle and a question about the initial bandaging state came up. Which axis is bandaged when the puzzle is solved? Of course, the related question is, if you scramble and solve it, can you ever solve it so that a different axis is bandaged. If you can, doesn't that mean this puzzle actually has 3x the states of a normal 2x2x2?

I was chatting with Daniel Kwan (dkwan) about this in the IRC channel and he pointed out that using Jaap's trivial "undo" trick of [UR]xN you can trivially change the bandaged axis.

From the solved state, if the A axis is bandaged then doing [BC]xN will transfer the bandaging to the C axis. In this way you can always choose which axis you want bandaged.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:13 am 

bmenrigh wrote:
bmenrigh wrote:
I was chatting with Daniel Kwan (dkwan) about this in the IRC channel and he pointed out that using Jaap's trivial "undo" trick of [UR]xN you can trivially change the bandaged axis.

From the solved state, if the A axis is bandaged then doing [BC]xN will transfer the bandaging to the C axis. In this way you can always choose which axis you want bandaged.

What value of N are you suggestion? That trick also allows you to turn the same face twice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:27 am 

Bram wrote:
Hey Oskar, can you design a 2x2x2 which must alternate clockwise and counterclockwise quarter turns?

As a suggested approach, you could have everything but the center be exactly the same as in this puzzle, then inside the center have a free-floating ball which has grooves in it and feet under three of the axles similar to the latest Polo Shift such that the ball rotates 90 degrees whenever a face rotates 90 degrees. Then you put additional grooves in the ball in exactly the pattern that they are in the core of Alex's Black Hole, and fixed posts sticking into half the corners (a half which would all be colored the same with checkerboard coloring).

That should do it, and it doesn't require any spring loaded anything.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:45 am 

Bram wrote:
What value of N are you suggestion? That trick also allows you to turn the same face twice.
15 will do. [RU]x15 (30 total moves) is an identity sequence.

Also, if U is locked then [RU]x14 R (29 moves) will perform the effect of a U'

[RUF]x10 is a similar sequence.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:56 am 

All this makes me wonder: what is the sequence that solves the cube into a different internally bandaged situation?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:06 am 

My question is could this concept be applied to a Skewb or UFO.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:16 am 

bmenrigh wrote:
bmenrigh wrote:

Ah great answer! I didn't think about it long enough! :?

So the answer would be yes, there are actually 3 solved states and here is a fairly simple algorithm to move from one to either of the other two (using n=15 as stated above).

Bram wrote:
bmenrigh wrote:
bmenrigh wrote:

That trick also allows you to turn the same face twice.

Excellent point! So U is possible from any position. U' is possible from any position. And U2 is possible from any position. Thus the Irreversible Cube has exactly the same number of positions as a standard 2x2x2 has. Three times that number if you count the bandaged axis as part of the state. Cool 8-)

Peace,
Matt Galla

Edit: Wait a second... All of this has been discovered already in the thread Oskar linked in the first post! :roll: :lol: Whoops.....
Jaap, you're awesome :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:38 am 

bmenrigh wrote:
[RUF]x10 is a similar sequence.

[RUF] need only be done 5 times. Also, [RU']x9 is shorter, and more finger-trickable :P (than [RU])

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:14 pm 

Hi Oskar,

Congratulation, I am very happy that the brilliant mechanics worked out! It's a real masterpiece :-) Will I see you in Guetersloh on the 20th?

Kind Regards
Christoph

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:14 pm 

Duskstar wrote:
[RUF] need only be done 5 times.
Can you elaborate? [RUF]x5 is 15 moves and an odd number of moves can never be an identity sequence due to parity.

Duskstar wrote:
Also, [RU']x9 is shorter, and more finger-trickable :P (than [RU])
Good find, this is better.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:29 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
Duskstar wrote:
Also, [RU']x9 is shorter, and more finger-trickable :P (than [RU])
:?: :?: :?:
Oskar wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:35 pm 

Konrad wrote:
bmenrigh wrote:
:?: :?: :?:
Oskar wrote:
It helps to pay attention :lol: I was only thinking about the irreversibility property, not the clockwise restriction too. My fault.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:14 pm 

Whoops - I must have been sleepy :P

Edit - and x5 works just in regards to using it to eg. change the bandaged axis.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:16 pm 

This is very nice! I especially like it because it defies the "standard" rules of Twisty Puzzles.

-Doug

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:51 am 

rubikcollector123 wrote:
You are correct. The sketch below should answer your second question. It also suggests a way to test the state of a face without making a move. If you can turn it backward a bit, the the face is locked in the forward direction. If you cannot turn it back, then it is unlocked.
KelvinS wrote:
... and what's the minimum corner-cutting angle - in case you can avoid irreversibility by cutting corners?
If you are asking me whether you can cheat by corner-cutting, the answer is no. As you can see from the sketch below, the four steps make sure that all locking and unlocking goes in lockstep.

Oskar
Attachment:
Irreversible Cube - view 4.jpg
Irreversible Cube - view 4.jpg [ 40.08 KiB | Viewed 6093 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:30 pm 

Oskar wrote:
rubikcollector123 wrote:
You are correct. The sketch below should answer your second question. It also suggests a way to test the state of a face without making a move. If you can turn it backward a bit, the the face is locked in the forward direction. If you cannot turn it back, then it is unlocked.
KelvinS wrote:
If you are asking me whether you can cheat by corner-cutting, the answer is no. As you can see from the sketch below, the four steps make sure that all locking and unlocking goes in lockstep.

Oskar
Attachment:
Irreversible Cube - view 4.jpg

Wow, that's pretty neat. I'm assuming that when the axis is forced downward by the slope, something happens which shoves the other two axes up, if they aren't in that position already. Is there some mechanism preventing the axis from shifting up when it's not supposed to? For example, if I held the puzzle in my hand and slapped it against a table, would the desired axis "pop up", thereby granting a free rotation which would otherwise not be permitted?

Also, I believe your "lock step" link refers to the wrong article, unless it involves prison/military marching formations. :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:39 am 

stardust4ever wrote:
For example, if I held the puzzle in my hand and slapped it against a table, would the desired axis "pop up", thereby granting a free rotation which would otherwise not be permitted?
Yes, the puzzle has some cheats, which have been designed on purpose. As you can see in the video, you can reset blockers with a small metal pin. A bit of slapping and tapping works as well. You can also take it apart with a screwdriver.

Oskar