Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: V cube pops.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:23 pm 

For those of you V-Cube owners, you would know that cubie pops can happen pretty frequently. This can be rather annoying, especially during a speed solve. I was wondering if there were any way to prevent pops without actually "modding" the puzzle. I'm not super big on modding and custom puzzles. I don't have the time or patience, and I don't want to risk ruining the puzzle if there is a chance I don't mod it right. I was wondering if there was any possible way to prevent pops without modding. I plan to go to my first competition this summer, and I don't want a pop in the middle of my solve. More specifically, I only have the v4 and v7. I might get others before this summer, but for now, has anyone done anything to their v-cubes to prevent pops without modding? Preferably for the v4 and v7.
Thank you.

Post subject: Re: V cube pops.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:45 pm 

I put in washers with the medium springs and tightened it. I have the DIY (hard springs are too hard, medium springs are too soft, dilemma). I am waiting for a reply from Verdes on the washers, as I "stole" them from different brand cubes and I would like to have proper fitting ones, but the ones in there at least help me tighten the cube more.

Not much else you can do really.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:19 am 

I have got all existing types of V-Cubes (V-6, V-5 and V-7 in summer 2008; the others when they came out) and I never had a single pop.
OK, I'm more the careful turner and not a speed solver, so I'm not a good reference for speed solvers.
I have got a DIY for the3x3x3 only and put in medium springs. Otherwise, I got everything assembled by Verdes.

I got a flat V-4 by yesterday and have not turned it much. For now, the pillowed version seems to be smoother, but lubrication and breaking in may change this.
The V-4 is the smoothest 4x4x4 I've got.

BTW, is it not possible to tighten the srews of the V-4 without additional washers?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:17 am 

Nope, not possible to tighten down further. Trust me I tried till my hands hurt. I will make do with the washers that are in there, because I got a reply back from Verdes stating they don't provide washers and to use the tightest springs on the tension I want and it will wear in.

Uhmm not if I put them on the tension that I would like. :lol: The tension that it is at where the screws already start grinding the plastic of the centerpieces is still too tight, and if I put things on the tension I actually WANT to have it (where it is now.. finally, roughly, with two washers) the centerpieces would not even be able to move anymore and be locked in place by the screws and eventually they would break off if I were to try cubing regardless.

One thing: be very careful on the lubing. This cube does NOT respond well to lubing the way you'd normally lube a 3x3. I don't overdo it or anything, I KNOW how to properly lube a cube; I have had compliments from speedcubers much faster than I am who got a lubed cube from me. This v-cube slows down significantly with a normal lube job, it needs VERY little.

I just took mine apart yesterday and took the lube out, and it sped up like a madman again. I am steering clear from lube save for literally a drop or two every now and then. Fair warning in any case. :)