Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bells of St. John's
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:10 pm 

Ground rules: spoilers in white text until 24 hours after the episode airs, otherwise anything's game (within forum rules).

For me, I'm starting the topic prematurely (another hour!!), but I would like people to comment on new episodes as they come (just change the topic title to "(Recent Episode Name)".

Observation 1: I don't think that the Pond Life miniseries was strictly necessary to the new episode (though that bit with the Ood seemed to be to unnecessary to actually be unneccessary; I wonder if it will come up in tonight's episode)

Another observation: a lot of people who like Doctor Who also seem to like Sherlock (with Benedict Cumberbatch). Maybe it, too, deserves a topic?

Challenge: come up with an anagram that uses the word "Ood". Bonus points if it doesn't refer to the Pond Life episode where they find him on the loo (i.e. "Ood doo").

Last bit: my sister's birthday is coming up and we want to make her a TARDIS cake, but we can't use fondant. Any tips on how to make it better/little easter eggs to stick in (we already thought of adding in edible ball bearings 8-) ).

Second last bit: I think that the forum needs to have a TARDIS icon, for instances when someone's new puzzle breaks the universe.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

Last edited by quicksolver on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Asylum of the Daleks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:53 pm 

I am also quite excited for the new season of Doctor Who to start, although I will not be able to watch the episode until after iTunes makes it available to download shortly after midnight. (no cable or satellite, so I have a season pass from iTunes.)

I am also a fan of Sherlock. I remember reading somewhere that Benedict Cumberbatch had expressed an interest in playing the Doctor. I for one would be all for that, even if it meant the end of Sherlock. I do like Matt Smith, and I think he may be my favourite Doctor yet, but I think that going more than 3-4 seasons as the Doctor is too much. It's always sad to see a Doctor go, but I think having a new Doctor really helps to keep the show fresh. :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:56 pm 

Imma put in my vote for David Tennant, though the guy before him wasn't bad (what was his name? Christopher Eccleston, that's right)

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:19 pm 

My two favourite episodes are David Tennant episodes, (and yet I still like Matt Smith better). It might be that (IMO) since Steven Moffat has been involved, the show has been kicked up to a whole new level. While previous series had arcs throughout, I think that the arcs from 5 and 6 have been more in depth. I couldn't really tell what was going to happen next.

My two favourite episodes are Blink (who doesn't love that episode? :D ) and Midnight. If I was to show someone who wasn't into Doctor Who an episode to show them how awesome the show is, I would probably show them one of those two episodes.

I did really like Eccleston, and how serious his version of the Doctor took things, I was quite sad to see him go even though he was only in the first series of the reboot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:28 pm 

I kind of love and hate Doctor Who at the same time. I hate the old crappy aliens like the Cybermen and Daleks but love the recent Doctors and assistants such as Amy and Rose. I also like the more human story lines where it's about people instead of saving the world, universe all existence etc.
So the first one of the new series I should have hated because it had the stupid Daleks. However it had a brilliant twist and a great character played by Jenna-Louise Coleman previously from Emmerdale. A really good episode though I wish annoying Rory would get exterminated.
I hope this series doesn't go down the same overly complicated path that the last one did. I mean this is pretty much a kids program but I'd bet a Dogic that 90% of viewers never kept up with the last series.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:32 pm 

Near wrote:
My two favourite episodes are Blink (who doesn't love that episode? :D ) and Midnight.
Blink was a classic. I also like the one with the kids and gas masks, that was creepy and brilliant.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:03 pm 

quicksolver wrote:
Another observation: a lot of people who like Doctor Who also seem to like Sherlock (with Benedict Cumberbatch). Maybe it, too, deserves a topic?

Near wrote:
I am also a fan of Sherlock

Interesting thing that, the co writer of that series, Steven Moffat, is also the head writer of the current serial of Doctor Who. He actually came under fire with that series, as critics stated that in his rendering of the re vamped Sherlock, he was accused of just writing him exactly like his Doctor Who characters. He was criticized for writing Sherlock as just like the Doctor, and Watson as just like his companion. His response to this is classic, stating that "of course that's how I wrote it, the Doctor was always Sherlock Holmes, and his companions were always variations of Watson." So with Sherlock, you're getting the same brilliant formula.
Near wrote:
My two favourite episodes are Blink (who doesn't love that episode? ) and Midnight.

Tony Fisher wrote:
Blink was a classic.

You both obviously have a good taste in good science fiction! So Steven Moffat is responsible for some of the best episodes, not only in the recent serial, but in all of Doctor Who history. These are episodes like Blink (the episode I always point people toward if I want to convert them to fandom. It remains the best story of integrating time travel in a science fiction episode), Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead (With the introduction of one of the most creative recurring "companion" characters in any series, that of River Song), The Girl in the Fireplace (among the most brilliantly written episodes, beautifully delving into the depths of the Doctors character), and others. These won him the Hugo and Nebula award for Blink and The Girl in the Fireplace.
When I heard he was taking over as head writer, I knew that the plot would get darker, more complicated and brilliant. So stick with it for this season, as Steven Moffat has shown his capability. I concede the last season was somewhat overly complicated, but it did introduce some of the most erie villains seen in the series, as well as the best use of the concept of time travel as a plot device (as in the Christmas Carole episode!)
Just enjoy the ride!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:08 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Near wrote:
My two favourite episodes are Blink (who doesn't love that episode? :D ) and Midnight.
Blink was a classic. I also like the one with the kids and gas masks, that was creepy and brilliant.

Even as a grown man, and a rational being, I still get the jitters from Doctor Who. I know that the monsters and villains don't exist, and yet I can't help but to be a bit unnerved while going down a dark hallway after an episode of Doctor Who. :oops: :D Goes to show how good the show is!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:15 pm 

Near wrote:
Even as a grown man, and a rational being, I still get the jitters from Doctor Who.

What makes you think humans are rational beings? People are capable of rationality, at great effort, but are not rational beings. This is because irrationality is preferred from an evolutionary standpoint. In a dark, cold place, it's better to mistake a shadow for a monster, then a monster for a shadow. You're more likely to survive if you run erroneously from a harmless shadow, rather then hesitate and get eaten by a monster :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:30 pm 

Doctor who wrote:
Near wrote:
Even as a grown man, and a rational being, I still get the jitters from Doctor Who.

What makes you think humans are rational beings? People are capable of rationality, at great effort, but are not rational beings. This is because irrationality is preferred from an evolutionary standpoint. In a dark, cold place, it's better to mistake a shadow for a monster, then a monster for a shadow. You're more likely to survive if you run erroneously from a harmless shadow, rather then hesitate and get eaten by a monster :wink:

I think what you've describe better explains our poor risk estimation than it does our irrationality.

I'd say though that emotion in general is irrational. Fear, love, whatever is not the result of careful thought weighing all of the factors and coming to some conclusion, it's a complicated biochemical result to lots of different types of input.

I'm rather impressed by how drawn in we can become to a series of still images and sound to the point that it seems like a real experience that is able to induce emotional responses. You wouldn't think sitting down and not moving yourself and just looking at some still images that take up a relatively small portion of your field of view could raise your heart rate and all of the other effects that television causes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:32 pm 

Doctor who wrote:
Near wrote:

True, pareidolia can be a great help to us, but it can also be a time waster, and moreover it can help people to believe things for bad reasons. However, since we know a lot of the ways that our minds deceive us, we can try to combat these things to get a truer picture of reality. As a person who realizes at least some of the ways that my mind can deceive me, I feel that makes me at least a little bit more rational. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:55 pm 

@Bmenrigh

"I think what you've describe better explains our poor risk estimation than it does our irrationality.
I'd say though that emotion in general is irrational"

The source of most type I, or false positive errors are often misplaced emotions, which you identified as the source of irrationality. So I agree with you :)

@Near, yes, i agree. And with great effort you are able to recognize these biases and live a more rational life then most.
(Sorry, my phone isn't letting me quote!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:00 am 

Quote:
Interesting thing that, the co writer of that series, Steven Moffat, is also the head writer of the current serial of Doctor Who

I've never been drawn to Doctor Who at all but

<off-topic>I was reminded by this of Steven Moffat's brilliant (1st?) TV show, The Press Gang. So many funny lines and an innovative plot. Even today, my wife and I still refer to certain things as an "urgent situation situation". (If you know the series and "Colin", you'll get it).</off-topic>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:16 am 

rline wrote:
<off-topic>I was reminded by this of Steven Moffat's brilliant (1st?) TV show, The Press Gang. So many funny lines and an innovative plot. Even today, my wife and I still refer to certain things as an "urgent situation situation". (If you know the series and "Colin", you'll get it).</off-topic>

I had no idea he did Press Gang. I agree it was a great show.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:19 am 

My favourite story ever is 'The Invasion', an 8-part sea real from 1968!

I think that some people under-rate the older Doctor Who, and I think it is easily as good as the modern series.

AotD Spoiler:

Did anybody else notice that the Dalek/Human character was played by the next companion actress?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:10 am 

My review of the episode (contains spoilers): I think that the whole thing was a bit forced in terms of the emotional content. Such an "important" storyline as Rory and Amy getting divorced deserves more than a 5-minute miniseries over the summer; something like that needs to be developed over the course of a season so that it has time to simmer and gel with th viewers. To have the characters get divorced in a miniseries that half the viewers probably didn't even see then magically make up after five minutes of action is just bad story writing. I still have a few issues with the episode, but I need to sort it all out first...

doctor who wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:53 am 

@Bunstan

I noticed the same thing and thought it was pretty strange. I know that Karen Gillan was in at least one previous Doctor Who episode, but to have the new companion play a different character in the same series where she is going to play the new companion seems like lazy casting. Don't get me wrong, I thought that she did a great job, and I am interested to see what she does with the companion role.

@quicksolver

I also was a bit disappointed with the episode. I didn't see The Pond Life, so I was quite shocked to hear of the divorce aspect. There were some cool bis to the first episode, but I hope that the rest of this series is much better than that. (Maybe I just need to watch the episode more than once to really appreciate it properly.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:10 am 

I don't think for a single moment she is playing two different characters, I suspect that the character she plays will be involved later in the series, before she becomes the full-time companion.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

Post subject: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:10 pm 

5 Minutes...also, I saw a recipe for Sonic Screwdriver drinks on the Doctor Who fan page. Awesome!

Unrelated note, although it is Doctor Who related: has anyone read the more recent Doctor Who books (i.e. Tennant/Smith/Eccleston inspired)? You can get a whole bunch from Forbidden Planet and I want to know if they're any good.

doctor who wrote:

Post subject: Re: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:06 pm 

My (general) review: overall, not a bad episode. It was a bit one-dimensional though. I'm a bit disappointed that they used the technological equivalent of a magic wand to solve the problem though.

doctor who wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:26 pm 

Sept 8th epiosde-
Sorry but this was awful. Not only was there the normal annoying Rory but his ridiculous father also. A kind of pantomime character. Silly humanised aliens / robots as well.
I will probably force myself to watch it again though because the idea of dinosaurs in space is brilliant.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:16 pm 

Re: Dinosaurs in Space

I loved Mitchell and Webb having minor roles as the robots. Those two are a laugh, I love just about everything I've seen of theirs.

Post subject: Re: Dr. Who BOOKS!!!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:15 pm 

I recently visited a comic book store and discovered that Douglas Adams (my favourite author) had written a screenplay for a Doctor Who movie/episode, then never completed it so somebody turned it into the novel Shada. I picked it up and read it, and I found that it was a good time but I was often distracted by the imagery used to describe an earlier doctor (physical appearance, trademark clothing, etc.). Prior to that, I did not realize that any Doctor Who books even existed. Then I was speaking with the owner of a pop-culture store and he mentioned the U.K. store Forbidden Planet. I visited their website, and lo and behold I found a huge selection of Doctor Who books and screenplays from almost every doctor, including current ones ("my" doctors :P 8-) ). Alas, I could never pay for shipping and everything for all of the ones that I wanted (around 30 in total at like 5 GBP each, even though that's an excellent price for books) and I live nowhere near London. Step in kindly relatives who were traveling there on vacation. They managed to bring back all of the ones that I wanted and more!! So, I'm settling in for a night of Doctor Who, starting with A Town Called Mercy followed by a marathon reading session (accompanied by cups upon cups of my favourite candy, livewires).

Attachments:
Livewirered.jpg
Livewirered.jpg [ 45.09 KiB | Viewed 6747 times ]

doctor who wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:55 pm 

Wild West-
Pretty good episode with a great surprise. John Crichton (Ben Browder) from my second favourite Sci-Fi series Farscape (copy of my first Lexx) was a guest star. Kind of strange how he looked and sounded different yet I instantly recognised him.

quicksolver, you need to buy yourself a TV. It's much less hassle.

Post subject: Re: A Town Called Mercy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:10 pm 

Tony Fisher: Doctor Who is only on once a week. Books are always there :D

This is also my first season watching Doctor Who live, instead of on DVDs like I did the last few seasons. It's kind of weird, especially with the fan page promos...anyways, it's on now!!

doctor who wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:57 pm 

What's with the one-dimensional story lines?! I miss the days of intricate, multi-layerd plots that piled impossible upon impossible. Now Doctor Who is turning into a simple call-and-response of problem and solution :?

doctor who wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:29 pm 

quicksolver wrote:
What's with the one-dimensional story lines?! I miss the days of intricate, multi-layerd plots that piled impossible upon impossible. Now Doctor Who is turning into a simple call-and-response of problem and solution :?

Have you noticed the Doctors sort of veiled sadness at the end of every episode in this season? He offers to take the Ponds somewhere, and they sort of reject him, and say "maybe a break for a couple months" or something like that. I think it's going to add up to something, eventually.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:45 pm 

Don't know what colour this is so see my post below in white.

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:46 pm 

Ha ha, CUBES!!!
Great episode. I know you can't pull these things to pieces but there seemed to be an issue with Amy and BF being away for lengths of time. Pretty sure in previous episodes they have gone back the same time as they left, Like Donna the day before her wedding if I recall. Also, if millions of people were having heart attacks how come there was a defibrillator not being used already?

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Power of Three
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:55 pm 

@tony: not enough of them? Also, Welcome back, Lefty! Neat that they posted a printout file for those cubes so you could just leave them around, too.

Well, I didn't really like that. It did, however, have some of the Doctor's whimsy that we used to see. I'm just bugged by how dumbed-down everything seems to be. It could be just that I'm perceiving things differently, though. I'm just seeing short stories that feel like they should be longer. In other Doctor Who episodes, there was the development of a problem early on in the episode, and tension mounted until the end when the Doctor finally brought together all of the puzzle pieces that were seen throughout the episode. It gave the whole thing more of a dramatic mystery feel, broken up by whimsical bits. Kind of like House, MD but with more laughing and less of being a jerk.

In other news, we watched the episode while eating Dalek Cakes :D

doctor who wrote:

Post subject: Re: The Power of Three
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:06 am 

quicksolver wrote:
I'm just seeing short stories that feel like they should be longer. In other Doctor Who episodes, there was the development of a problem early on in the episode, and tension mounted until the end when the Doctor finally brought together all of the puzzle pieces that were seen throughout the episode. It gave the whole thing more of a dramatic mystery feel, broken up by whimsical bits. Kind of like House, MD but with more laughing and less of being a jerk.

I don't know how long they are written in advance but wonder if they are responding to criticism of the previous season which was almost unfollowable in my opinion. I suspect your average Doctor Who fan wants something a little easier to watch. I like long running story lines "where have all the bees gone?" but I don't want to re-watch past episodes just to figure out what I just saw. I think these new ones are flowing nicely.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:50 pm 

Just watched the newest episode. Why didn't they start defibrulating everyone in the first place? This episode was a bit slow for my taste though, not enough action. I think they left out a bit of storyline, like, what happens to the hologram guy, and who were the people with the void mouths?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:24 pm 

I really hate the weeping angels. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:46 am 

Just found this - http://www.firebox.com/product/5356/Doc ... top10&cat= for Doctor Who fans.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:06 pm 

Neat! They have something similar at my local pop-culture shop except it's a Harry Potter-style magic wand remote control. It's just as expensive, too-$100! Another of my faves is a Floating TARDIS, like those magnetic spinning globes but with a non-spherical object (a TARDIS).

EDIT: In my basement, we have one of those giant cardboard cutouts - they call them 'standees' on the Forbidden Planet website - and this one is a fuul-color version of Steve Nash (a basketball player). Any time soneone goes down there, they're always startled by it because it looks like a real person. The Forbidden Planet website has a full-sized Weeping Angel standee - just imagine how freaked out you'd be if you saw one of *those* standing in your dark basement, waiting for you...

doctor who wrote:

Post subject: Doctor Who The Snowmen, the 2012 Doctor Who Christmas Specia
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:18 pm 

Just saw the Christmas Doctor Who. I enjoyed it far more than last year purely because of the interesting new assistant and her interaction with the Doctor. It has set up a "what's going on here"? question and it's a change to have an intelligent assistant for once. Spoiler - Ok so she's currently dead and not his assistant but we all know that's the way it's going. I thought the rest of the episode was pretty awful though.

Post subject: Doctor Who The Snowmen, the 2012 Doctor Who Christmas Specia
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:36 am 

I agree with Tony on this one. I reckon the new assistant is going to be a great addition to the show, but I didn't really much enjoy the storyline of the episode. It was okay, but not great. I think a few of the Christmas episodes are a bit like that for some reason.

Post subject: Re: Dr Who Christmas Special 2012
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:05 am 

The transparent spherical container for the Great Intelligence looked like a gigantic Rubik's 360.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:25 am 

Did anyone else recognise Ian McKellan's voice? After just seeing the Hobbit I couldn't help but notice it instantly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:02 pm 

I saw this on the interwebs: "One day, a boy made a snowman who spoke in Gandalf's voice to the Doctor, who was disguised as Sherlock and told him winter was coming".

My opinion: first bit was too much of the Doctor teasing Clara with too little attention paid to the 'main' plot, then the plot came together a little bit but was rather implausible even by Sci-Fi standards, with a bit of cheese towards the end. I was startled by the fact that she was in 'Blink' though!

doctor who wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:15 pm 

souffles... oh clever clever.

Post subject: Re: New Easter Episode
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:25 pm 

Spoiler
Just saw new Dr. Who. Brilliant in my opinion. New assistant great as expected and first story line clever with nothing irritating. I especially liked it because it featured my favourite UK building The Shard. Only slight criticism was the view outside the Shard showing The Gherkin very close, which it isn't.
From experience I am sure they'll be an annoying brother, boyfriend or whatever introduced in coming episodes but so far so good. It still leaves the question of how come the assistant has existed in other times and places. Great stuff

Post subject: Re: Bells of St. John's
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:38 pm 

I missed the first 5 minutes because Space channel sent the wrong episode description to my service provider, so it appeared as 'Asylum of the Daleks' on the guide :cry: . The rest was good though. Didn't suspect the whole Doctor-switch thing, though.

doctor who wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:42 pm 

Spoiler for 6th April episode.
After such a promising start they unfortunately once again resorted to actors in stupid costumes with daft heads (I stake my life that aliens will not look like that!), yet another rehash of the Star Wars multi alien scenes and mushy operatic Katherine Jenkins style music stuff. Oh, and suddenly you can just fly through space with no space suits now?!? Other than that I enjoyed some of the visuals and a few new references to the doctors past.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:00 pm 

My thoughts on the episode:
I really like Clara, although the enigma surrounding her is starting to bother me :P My first thought when she stepped onto the asteroid was how she was able to breathe, so in the same respect as Tony, the lack of 'realism' really bothered me, as well as the corny Star Wars space-moped thingy. The nice contemporary look from last week however was king of destroyed by the return to costumed aliens. That's just my opinion, however. Plot-wise, my only regret is that the leaf is gone, as I somehow grow attached to characters' belongings in stories, the flip side to that being that she got the ring back.
Looking forward to next week's episode :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:04 pm 

St Winifred's School Choir trapped in the Mos Eisley Cantina... horrific.

Post subject: Re: The Rings of Akhaten
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:22 am 

In the words of Comic book guy...

Worst Episode Ever. :roll:

Even more naff than Gridlock.

Post subject: Journey to the centre of the TARDIS
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:13 pm 

Spoiler
After last weeks pile of unmentionable tripe I really enjoyed this weeks "Journey to the centre of the TARDIS" episode. OK so it was essentially a clich├ęd running around corridors sci-fi episode plus a "this thing is infinite so we can just make up anything" mumbo jumbo but it was still very entertaining. In fact parts of it reminded me of my all time favourite sci-fi show Lexx.
Once again there was the issue of what or who is Clara which for me is the most interesting element in this series. My own opinion is that the previous times we saw her haven't happened yet within her time line. They are things which will occur in future episodes.