Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Lula Sanity
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:01 am 

Hello all.

My name is David and I'm the owner of a new company called Lula Projects.

36 hours ago we launched a new Kickstarter Campaign and thought you might like to know about it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/937 ... ing-puzzle

Its called the Sanity and its a new Mechanical Puzzle. The idea of the Sanity is to complete several mechanical steps to unlock the puzzle and release the key inside. When you have the key number you can go on to the Lula challenge website and combine it with your unique sanity number and potentially win great prizes, sounds easy? there are over 2 trillion possible combinations. That being said, the puzzle is completely do-able, and requires a fair amount of logical thinking to complete it. There are no visible aides on the outside of the puzzle and is completed by feeling the movements inside.

If we are successful with our kickstarter project, we plan to release several puzzles in the complete series and when the keys from each puzzle are combined they are used to unlock the final puzzle (its kind of like a power rangers morphing thing).

We really appreciate any support you can give us, a blog entry, a video or even a brief mention would be great. We have 32 days to meet our target, we are a small, family run business and would be great to make this a reality.

All the best

David

Post subject: Re: The Lula Sanity
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:34 am 

Hi David, this looks great, I wish you luck! :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:16 am 

Thanks Kelvin, we have put a lot of effort into making something challenging and beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:32 pm 

I wish you much luck with this too!

...and I have a few remarks:

1) how does your puzzle compete to the Revomaze? I can see no significal difference, except for the turning layers. You would have to twist, push, pull backwards from either sides to "open" it. As well as in this puzzle, the tracks to move are hidden from sight.

Unfortunately I did not see an opening mechanism or how it is realized.

2) As far as I see this is a puzzle with rather low tolearance for CNC cuttings. Have you spoken to Chris Pitt (inventor of the Revomaze) in order to get your puzzle done? Maybe he could assist you in the manufacturing process.

Best regards
Telow

Last edited by Telow on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:36 pm 

Thanks Telow.

Just to answer your questions, there is no pulling technique involved with the sanity, nor do we infringe on Revomazes reset patent. We use 12 levels of hidden chambers along with a new unlocking mechanism not featured any where before. 10 of the chambers are located within the 5 rotating rings and it is the plungers that actuate the release mechanism.

They look as different as they can be considering they both resemble the cylinder shape.

Thanks for looking

David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:18 pm 

This looks like an interesting puzzle and probably quite fun to solve, but I have a few concerns.

Saying it's the greatest product since the Rubik's Cube is a rather bold statement, and from what I can see it seems almost exactly like Revomaze (not saying it hadn't been done before that) minus a slightly different design. Also 100 pounds is quite a lot for a puzzle, and although I'm assuming there is some sort of prize for successfully completing it, there are many people (including myself) who would rather just have a puzzle for the challenge of it.

I would gladly put my money forward if there were a version with the same difficulty but for a much cheaper price (without the assumed prize of course); however, until then, I wish you the best of luck.

I'm a youtuber =D

hey look ^

Rest In Peace Frank

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:25 pm 

mitchblahman wrote:
...100 pounds is quite a lot for a puzzle...
I agree, but for a handmade puzzle or something put out of a CNC milling machine, this would rather be a bargain, depending on the number of estimated sales.

@mitchblahman:
You made a good point, but I think there are quite a few collectors who will pay for a UNIQUE Puzzle experience.

@Lula:
Could you please provide us with more information about the opening mechanism? Maybe you could attach some pictures blurred out or a video showing a solve. As I have bought the total of Revomazes, I would be really gladful to see if it's a new Puzzle or not. Please don't get me wrong: I do not have anything against your business, but I'd rather like to support it if I knew this was genuine.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:52 pm 

mitchblahman wrote:
100 pounds is quite a lot for a puzzle

Aaaand after a week I realized you didn't mean the weight... imparial system :lol:

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:55 pm 

mitchblahman wrote:
Also 100 pounds is quite a lot for a puzzle,
You should see the price of Isis puzzles (which sell pretty well). 100 pounds is nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:35 pm 

Telow wrote:
@mitchblahman:
You made a good point, but I think there are quite a few collectors who will pay for a UNIQUE Puzzle experience.

Volitar Prime wrote:
mitchblahman wrote:
Also 100 pounds is quite a lot for a puzzle,
You should see the price of Isis puzzles (which sell pretty well). 100 pounds is nothing.

I have absolutely no doubt that there will be people willing to pay that much for a puzzle, however I highly doubt there will be enough to fund the 100,000 pound campaign goal. I also understand that it's not too bad considering it is handmade, but I would not care whatsoever if I could get a slightly lower quality one cast in a strong plastic that wouldn't break, and would happily pay up to 30 pounds ($45) for one.

You also must realize that while many people bought the Isis, it had a quite large advertising campaign, and was created by an already well off toy company (Sonic Games UK) and I would be willing to bet that they also had some sort of corporate sponsorship or large private investment to start them up.
EDIT: or maybe a large loan

I'm a youtuber =D

hey look ^

Rest In Peace Frank

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 am 

mitchblahman wrote:
Also 100 pounds is quite a lot for a puzzle...

You clearly don't collect puzzle boxes. :lol: