Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 4x4x4 Sphere Mod
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:58 pm
Attachment:
File comment: Progress so far.
554870_518489094860423_462319824_n.jpg
554870_518489094860423_462319824_n.jpg [ 27.3 KiB | Viewed 1071 times ]
I had an idea to take my Lan Lan 4x4x4, and mod it into the shape of a sphere. :D (My first shape mod) I have already took off the stickers and have started sanding the sides down with the Dremel. I have actually no clue what i'm doing, i'm just using common sense. :)

_________________
Yay cubing!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4x4x4 Sphere Mod
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:02 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Good luck, itll be easier with a belt sander id say because you have 2 hands on the cube and get a nice smooth type sphere shape :)

_________________
Uh Oh I solved it again.....
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/KozehCubez
PB:
3x3:27.34
4x4: 2:21
Rubiks Clock: 23sec
Floppy Cube: 4.5sec
2x2: 8.64sec (single)
2x2: 11.78(Average of 5)
Magic-0.91 (Single)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4x4x4 Sphere Mod
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
TimmyCuber98 wrote:
I had an idea to take my Lan Lan 4x4x4, and mod it into the shape of a sphere. :D (My first shape mod) I have already took off the stickers and have started sanding the sides down with the Dremel. I have actually no clue what i'm doing, i'm just using common sense. :)

I don't know the mechanism too well but if you continue I am 95% certain you will destroy the puzzle. I do however admire your approach and only wish other newbies were brave enough to give this kind of thing a go. It will be a great learning experience.
My advice btw is-
1. Before you go any further build up all 24 middles.
2. Continue using a Dremel but as you get further alternate between scrambling the puzzle and Dremelling.
3. Watch my 7x7x7 Ball construction video.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4x4x4 Sphere Mod
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:58 pm
Thank you for the advice! The video helped me out alot!

_________________
Yay cubing!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4x4x4 Sphere Mod
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:20 am
Location: Wherever
How do you ensure that the puzzle does not become offset when cutting it down?

_________________
A budding puzzle designer!

Check out my Shapeways shop!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4x4x4 Sphere Mod
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:02 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Tony Fisher wrote:
TimmyCuber98 wrote:
I had an idea to take my Lan Lan 4x4x4, and mod it into the shape of a sphere. :D (My first shape mod) I have already took off the stickers and have started sanding the sides down with the Dremel. I have actually no clue what i'm doing, i'm just using common sense. :)

I don't know the mechanism too well but if you continue I am 95% certain you will destroy the puzzle. I do however admire your approach and only wish other newbies were brave enough to give this kind of thing a go. It will be a great learning experience.
My advice btw is-
1. Before you go any further build up all 24 middles.
2. Continue using a Dremel but as you get further alternate between scrambling the puzzle and Dremelling.
3. Watch my 7x7x7 Ball construction video.

Tony you probably dont know exactly how many hours for each step it took to make since it was so long ago but how long would you say it took to make excluding stickers?

_________________
Uh Oh I solved it again.....
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/KozehCubez
PB:
3x3:27.34
4x4: 2:21
Rubiks Clock: 23sec
Floppy Cube: 4.5sec
2x2: 8.64sec (single)
2x2: 11.78(Average of 5)
Magic-0.91 (Single)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4x4x4 Sphere Mod
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
TimmyCuber98 wrote:
Thank you for the advice! The video helped me out alot!

Tony Fisher wrote:
2. Continue using a Dremel but as you get further alternate between scrambling the puzzle and Dremelling.
Although I didn't explain, this is how. In fact making a twisty puzzle into a perfect ball is a lot times easy than a solid piece of wood for example (assuming you didn't use extra things jigs, lather etc). This of course assumes the puzzle can take such a cut down. Many won't and you hit crucial mechanism parts before you reach a ball shape.
Unfortunately I fear TimmyCuber98 is going to run into major problems if he simply continues.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4x4x4 Sphere Mod
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
KozehCubes wrote:
Tony you probably dont know exactly how many hours for each step it took to make since it was so long ago but how long would you say it took to make excluding stickers?
I know the stickers took around 8 hours but I'm not sure about the puzzle. At a guess I would say maybe 15 or 20. The actual shaping is quite quick but filling the parts and final sanding takes a long time. At some stage it has to be taken apart and each piece cleaned and given a rounded edge.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4x4x4 Sphere Mod
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:33 am
Great mod :o

_________________
PB:
3x3: 21.09
2x2: 3.00

My Shapeways shop
My YouTube channel!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4x4x4 Sphere Mod
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:59 pm
Location: New Hampshire
Good luck! As Tony said I think you will hit important mechanisms before you get this into a sphere. Im interested to see if you manage to get it working.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kuhrik and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group