Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The 4x4x6 hunts me in my dreams
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:36 pm 

I am now awake because of a coughing fit .. tickle coughs are ugh.

Anyways.. I started solving the 4x4x6 today, very carefully because of an issue with the core (new one got shipped yesterday, so yay!) and I can manage it so far. Was able to solve the centers like a 4x4, was able to solve the edges like the 4x4, and brought it back to cubic form rather easily.

I followed the tut by CBCuber and didn't need much help with that save for the "first this then that" thingie. Now before I went to other things I learned to do the centers and got all that done and tomorrow.. today rather.. I will be learning how to get the remainder solved.

No hiccups at all, everything is going just peachy and I love this cuboid (it's the only one I have aside from a 3x3x2 that I can solve as long as I have the algos on a peek sheet for it).

So.. happy with how well things are going I put it aside, did some work on the computer that needed doing and went to bed.

Eeeevery time I fall asleep I start dreaming of the thing!! :shock: And not a nightmare either.. noo.. I can solve it just fine every single time.. but.. gah.. I have solved it enough already!

YO BRAIN.. listen to me you brain.. solving it during the day while awake is good enough ya hear. Learning the steps to solve it I can do during the day. Night is for sleeping, not cubing.. kay?

Cuboid must have made an impression, I bet. :lol:

Post subject: Re: The 4x4x6 hunts me in my dreams
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:18 am 

*slaps the 4x4x6 into submission*

There.. now I hope it quits hunting me :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:21 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Welcome to the cuboid addicts club! :D :lol:

I love these puzzles and now have loads of them including some made by Hunter and Traiphum as well as the 3x5x7 from Shapeways. I am so hopeful for an affordable 5x7x9 too.

Keep going with your collection and look at SuperAntoniovivaldi's cuboid classification videos or my blogpost on it:

http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2013/01/first-there-was-cube-and-then.html

Then you can REALLY. Join the madness! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:24 am 

Yep, cuboids are just awesome!

I have quite a few myself, although no extravagant Shapeways or custom made ones! :D

I think I own all the mass produced ones that are currently available, and they are a huge amount of fun. I would definitely recommend the 2x3x4 (if you can find the pieces to make it fully functional) and the 3x4x5, if you want to expand your collection of them :)

The WitEden 3x3xn non-proportional cuboids are fabulous quality and fun too!

Latest videos: Unboxing / Review of Curvy copter Plus, David Gear Cube, Octo-star Cube

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:00 am 

I do have a small collection, just not cuboids but all sorts of different ones. For those curious.. you can see it on my blog. Oh I see I haven't provided a link yet, so here it is then, straight to the cube collection page: http://kattenvriendin.blogspot.nl/p/cubing_8.html

Unfortunately I cannot always afford the originals (I work on a minimal income but glad I AM working) so lots are knockoffs, I admit that simply by them being sorted by brand.

I LOVE this cuboid. And when it came in.. it was so much SMALLER than I thought initially. I believe the first thing I said was oh my gosh you are so tiiiinyyy! (in Dutch.. obviously :lol: )

I avoided the mf8s for the very lockup reason, plus it is soooo much more difficult to assemble, and as that is part of my puzzling fun those two were arguments to hold back. I will use this one to learn though. I followed the tut of cbc as said, but I didn't quite get some bits but the initial principles were clear.. so.. I fiddled my own way through.

It's like going from A to B. Most people do it that way.. I need a C before I get it. That's ok.. it is fun finding other ways to do the same things :D

I have seen the other cuboids, they are all gorgeous. I especially love the shapeshifters. Just looking at them all scrambled and then watching someone on youtube (mostly indeed SuperAntoniovivaldi's) makes me happy.

I know I am weird, but I also know YOU guys GET what I mean :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:56 pm 

Nice collection you have there :)

On another note - I'm immortalised! :D

Latest videos: Unboxing / Review of Curvy copter Plus, David Gear Cube, Octo-star Cube

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:59 pm 

Thank you! And thanks for visiting :)

On the immortalized (now I suffer from chronic memory loss at times, so forgive me).. how? Did I miss
something? *giggle* :oops:

It's fun with movies, but NOT with people, lemme tell ya! :?

EDIT!!
I know what you meant now.. the comment email took a while to come in hehe sorted! And responded :)

In the mean time I made a peek sheet.. and solved the beast again! I'd let it in my bed now if I were not so afraid it'd fall out :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:40 pm 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
Thank you! And thanks for visiting :)

On the immortalized (now I suffer from chronic memory loss at times, so forgive me).. how? Did I miss
something? *giggle* :oops:

You've quoted me at the top of your blog page :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:19 pm 

OWHHHHH yeahhhh now I see what you mean. :D

I thought it was the comment that made its way to my mailbox way late *laughs*

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:03 pm 

And.. one more solve before I go to bed.. that makes three.

Man I love this puzzle. Hopefully the new core will get here soon, as one of the sides is quite tighter than the others to avoid explosions. Did put some lube extra in the cube which seems to help a bit, but I have to be careful still that nothing gets pulled or snagged or one side comes flying.. icky.

But oh man.. now that I have the algorithms for this one I should be able to solve any cuboid now.. just wondering what will happen with an odd layered one, quite different I think with the flipping of edges *scratches head* :lol:

(is this that bug.. guess so..)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:34 pm 

Bug bit me, I am now sick.. never to be cured I am afraid. The 2x3x4 I will get sometime from hknowstore as it offers those pieces to unlock it for a buck more and the 3x4x5 is also in the works.

Now that I can solve the 4x4x6 I also managed to solve the 2x2x4 and UNDERSTAND what I did. Areas were foggy before and I guess one needs a larger size to increase the view on an issue (or something like that lol).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:05 pm 

Update on the 4x4x6 core issue. I just got the new core in the mail and reassembled the cube. It is sooo much smoother now, so a BIG thank you very much goes out to Calvin and his team and a new order will be placed at your store soon! (2x3x4 with the fix pieces)

Quite the delivery with them little inner pieces wanting to fly off to places unknown..brr.. but it's done :D