Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 4x4x6 assembly problem
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:48 am 

I sent this in a PM to Tom, however I realized it might be better to put this here so more can benefit.

I was being thorough and lubed the puzzle, including the centerpieces.

However I missed ONE thing.. the orientation of the centerpieces, so I got the puzzle together and and uh oh.. it is locked.

So yeah, must be those notches on the centerpieces that screw onto the core.

Can someone help me by telling how exactly to orient those centerpieces? I would be much obliged.

Tom: I am not deleting the PM because then you'll have a hole in your mailbox that is unexplained.. I hope you don't mind me asking it here as well :)

Post subject: Re: 4x4x6 assembly problem
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:59 am 

The protrusions on the center pieces need to be aligned so that along any great circle they're all on the same side. Here is a picture of a possible alignment:

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:09 am 

Ahhhh thank you so much for those starter three! I couldn't get the start right which messed up everything else again.

Thanks, I managed to put the centerpieces on now and it's off to reassemble again :D

Edit: sorted!!

Now to hope that one side of the core holds.. I had a centerpiece of the inner core come out complete with screw earlier on when I put the small arch in.. icky, might have to contact Calvin about that one, but wait and see.

SORTED in any case.. thank you SO much for helping out!

Edit again: I contacted Calvin about the core issue. Other than that issue it is a beautiful cube. Or would that be called cuboid :)
One more edit: Calvin is sending me a new core. They're great! If you read this Calvin: once again thank you very much!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:13 pm 

I’m glad you got the center pieces sorted out.

I am curious though as to why you had to do this. I own 6 of these puzzles. All of them can pre-lubed with so much oil that my hands got oily just from handling them. I had to completely take them apart (including separating cubies made from 2 molded pieces) and soak the pieces in Dawn and water to get rid of the crap. And all of mine work just fine without any lube in them at all. They are very well made puzzles that only require simple adjustments to the springs and screws to make them work well without the need for lube.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:18 pm 

Maybe it's the trip.. I don't know. Mine definitely wasn't oozing LOL

It's also something that I do to ALL my cubes. Assembling is part of the cubing fun :)

Also to add: I have found a 6x6 with missing parts once, which I wouldn't even have known until it had blown up in my face :( I rather take apart genty and find out. Also.. a 9x9 with styrofoam inside. Like there is room! :shock:
Oh I forgot my 5x5 with the crack in the core.
All things I found out right after receiving them and disassembling with intent to lube proper.