Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Exact Internal Skewb Dimensions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:19 am 

Does anybody know what the internal center piece dimensions are? For example, maybe the circumference of the circle? I am trying to design a no popping version using a tetrahedral mechanism in two separate layers. It would also be amazing if someone could come up with a Sketchup model for internal mechanisms a skewb.

I'm kinda looking for the measurements of this.

Attachment:
skewb%20center.jpg
skewb%20center.jpg [ 177.51 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]

Post subject: Re: Exact Internal Skewb Dimensions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:48 am 

if you are recreating the mechanism why is it that you need the old dimensions? simply make the puzzle 57mm to an edge, or whatever you like really.

If you still need the dimensions just say so, I have an older mefferts copy I can take some calipers and micrometers to when I get home and give you some measurements.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:22 am 

dahc2332 wrote:

Why do you need the old dimensions? You could simply design it first and then adjust the dimensions until you see fit. That's how I did it, whatever looks good to you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:26 am 

Well I don't really have the tetrahedral version and I thought that I could design it as sort of an add-on to the original skewb. The school I addend has recently acquired a MakerBot printer so I thought that I could design it in sketchup and print my own version.

If you could measure your skewb that would be very helpful. It also doesn't matter what size cube you have, because I am able to rescale it after the design is finished.

Also, the picture you see above is just I rough sketch that I made and is not very exact.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:31 am 

dahc2332 wrote:
Well I don't really have the tetrahedral version and I thought that I could design it as sort of an add-on to the original skewb. The school I addend has recently acquired a MakerBot printer so I thought that I could design it in sketchup and print my own version.

If you could measure your skewb that would be very helpful. It also doesn't matter what size cube you have, because I am able to rescale it after the design is finished.

Also, the picture you see above is just I rough sketch that I made and is not very exact.

Interesting idea, however I don't really think you could make it as an add on because every piece of that design is different from the pieces on the original Skewb. The only part you could save is the core, and that's about it. I'll try to measure the dimensions soon though and provide you with them. Also, the above picture is actually a drawing I made.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:33 am 

benpuzzles wrote:
dahc2332 wrote:

You could simply design it first and then adjust the dimensions until you see fit. That's how I did it, whatever looks good to you.

How did you determine the curve of the center piece? I'm finding that difficult.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:46 am 

I have a part finished SU model of a Skewb, pm me with your details if you want it.