Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mini(er) 7x7
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:52 pm 

I really didn't put much time into this so it came out poorly, but still works and is kind of cool to have. I forgot I had this for quite a while, and finally remembered that I never finished it once I found it. Mini puzzles just love to go missing. At the moment I'm cooking up a pillowed V2 which will function much better hopefully. Does anyone Know if these would be legal to sell? I haven't been quite up to par with K.O. laws. It isn't an exact copy of V-mech but it is a resemblance.
VIDEO

Attachment:
DSCN1676[1].JPG
DSCN1676[1].JPG [ 3.2 MiB | Viewed 2204 times ]

Attachment:
DSCN1673[1].JPG
DSCN1673[1].JPG [ 3.1 MiB | Viewed 2204 times ]

Attachment:
DSCN1672[1].JPG
DSCN1672[1].JPG [ 3.02 MiB | Viewed 2204 times ]

Attachment:
DSCN1671[1].JPG
DSCN1671[1].JPG [ 3.04 MiB | Viewed 2204 times ]

Attachment:
DSCN1670[1].JPG
DSCN1670[1].JPG [ 2.87 MiB | Viewed 2204 times ]

Attachment:
DSCN1669[1].JPG
DSCN1669[1].JPG [ 2.78 MiB | Viewed 2204 times ]

-Matt Bahner

Post subject: Re: Mini(er) 7x7
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:16 pm 

Without seeing the mechanism one can't be sure, but there has only been one 7x7x7 mechanism (here) that did not use the concepts protected by the Verdes patent.
Your mention of "a resemblance" indicates perhaps yours uses these patented concepts.

Presuming this is the case it would likely be illegal to sell it in the countries in which Verdes has his patent (US, Europe, Japan, China, I believe).

Separate from the legality, however, it would be considered KO to sell it or advertise it on this forum. We welcome information and pictures about individual creations inspired by these mechanisms but can not allow the site to be used to promote it for sale.

Dave :)

P.S. I love mini-puzzles!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:28 pm 

wow.. I really like the chequered pattern pict..
Small but still frightening..lol

IMO it doesn't matter if it small or big as long as the mech still the same or look similar then it still a KO..

Maulana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:49 pm 

I love it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:40 am 

My thoughts in retrospective:

Wow these proportions are much too out of it I don't know what... OH MY GOD IT'S SMALL! OH MY GOD IT'S SMALLER THEN A V CUBE 2.

Reallly small. And as cool. Wow. So now let me know why the outer layers are so unproportioned. I guess it would have to do with the size but I can't understand because shrinking down a V-Cube 7 for instance would work without changing proportions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:54 am 

Because its not pillowed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:08 am 

alaskajoe wrote:

Wow these proportions are much too out of it I don't know what... OH MY GOD IT'S SMALL! OH MY GOD IT'S SMALLER THEN A V CUBE 2.

Reallly small. And as cool. Wow. So now let me know why the outer layers are so unproportioned. I guess it would have to do with the size but I can't understand because shrinking down a V-Cube 7 for instance would work without changing proportions.

Well, actually it is about the same as any cubic 7x7 (cube who shall not be named!) But this one doesn't use large fillets on the edges to disguise the nonproportioned pieces. That and it could be for a little stability

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:45 pm 

Hunter Palshook wrote:
alaskajoe wrote:

Well, actually it is about the same as any cubic 7x7 (cube who shall not be named!) But this one doesn't use large fillets on the edges to disguise the nonproportioned pieces. That and it could be for a little stability

I just kept having to make the outer layer wider because the corner stalk was too thin to 3d print.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:25 pm 

Is it actually fun to play with? Or does it feel weak? I would love to purchase one off of you sometime.

Also on the topic of knockoffs, does the fact that this is a micro puzzle ward off the chance that it could be a knock off? I thought there were countless micro puzzles being sold by people other than the original designers. Just curious :)

-HP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:53 am 

Hunter Palshook wrote:
Also on the topic of knockoffs, does the fact that this is a micro puzzle ward off the chance that it could be a knock off? I thought there were countless micro puzzles being sold by people other than the original designers. Just curious :)
Most miniature puzzles that I know of are not based on protected mechanisms, or not for sale. If you believe this site is being used to sell a puzzle based on a protected mechanism, please PM me with details and I will look into it.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:35 am 

DLitwin wrote:
Hunter Palshook wrote:
Most miniature puzzles that I know of are not based on protected mechanisms, or not for sale. If you believe this site is being used to sell a puzzle based on a protected mechanism, please PM me with details and I will look into it.

Dave

No that makes sense! Sorry I just wasn't thinking about the whole protected mech part. Thanks :)